Solid Newcastle Offers Expected Imminently

The good news we heard yesterday was some positive words form the man who is charged with selling the famous Newcastle Club, now relegated to the Championship for next season.

keith-harris-78

Keith Harris – expects solid offers in short order

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, confirmed yesterday there were “two or three” parties interested in buying out the unpopular Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

The identities of the consortia remain unknown, although we have heard most are fronted by English businessmen, although there was a report yesterday that said one was American based.

Harris spent last week in Dubai trying to gauge the interest there for buying the club, and has already said most groups are not from abroad.

Keith, who is thought o be in Newcastle right now, said:

“I’m confident there will be offers to consider in quite short order,” “By the end of June would be ideal because clearly the transfer window is now open.”

“The players start to report back earlier than they would in the Premier League for pre-season training, so I would think someone wanting to own this club would want to be in possession of it by the end of this month.”

“There is real and decent interest. This is not from far flung parts of the globe who expressed interest at first.” This is good, gritty interest.”

And yesterday we heard one of the groups was fronted by former Chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son, but their bid was said to be £75M, and that will need to be increased if they are to have any chance of success. But of course asking £100M and getting £100M for the club, are two different things.

It seems as though Alan Shearer will need to bide his time a little until new owners are identified, and then see if they will appoint him manager. A good first step for the new owners, whoever they are, that would be supported by the vast majority of fans, would be to appoint Shearer as soon as they can.

That would get the owners off to a good start, at least with the Newcastle faithful.

It’s clear that if Shepherd is successful he would appoint Shearer quickly, and at least the club could probably make the best recovery, if Freddy is able to buy the club, with Middle East backing.

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM

My right fist is pretty solid, and I’ll happily offer it to Mr Ashley right now. Short enough for you?

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Sorry Ed, that last comment probably broke the site rules. Just can’t control my frustration any longer.

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Anyone else think Keith Harris looks like a slightly wierd version of Bill Clinton?

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Oh FFS, I’m holding a conversation with myself. That hasn’t happened for, well, at least five minutes. Now I know this whole farce has really sent me mad!

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Yes Benji, he does look a bit like Clinton.

Yours
    Benji

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for agreeing with me Benji.

BTW – you are easily the most insightful blogger on this thread.

All the best
    Benji

• Toon Graeme

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

BenjiToon – your right fist and my right kicking boot would make a good combination!!

🙂

• Dan4Toon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM

haha are you ok benjitoon ? 😀

• Graeme

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:52 AM

As long as this moron Ashley is bound and gagged before he can do any more damage. I’m sure the appointed seller can get him a good deal.

Once the club is in the hands of a new owner, they can release Ashley, or drop him off the Tyne bridge – who cares, as long as he doesnt come back lol

• Ericles

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I emailed admin at NUFC enquiring about more information on the sale. No reply yet. Whoever buys we need fan involvement e.g., consultative reps on the board etc. Hope it is a local consortia. We need a real NUFC not Ashley’s rag and bone sports business.

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Phew! For a minute there I thought it was the scene at the beginning of 28 Days Later. The world was overun by bloodsucking monsters (Ashley, Lambias) and I was wondering around all alone in a bit of a daze.

But no, Greame and Dan have proved this is not the case. I am OK, and my fist is still primed.

• waddler

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I will not return to St James’s if Shepherd is installed as chairman, no bloody way.
    We need people who are competent and willing to invest in the clubs long term future, we don’t need people looking to hoodwink the supporters by buying a flash player at the expense of building a solid team from back to front.
    Paying huge wages to has beens and never will be’s.

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Ericles – I agree but here’s the rich list of supposed Toom supporters for our region:

Mike Ashley – £700m
    Mark Fenwick and family – £365m
    Duncan Bannatyne – £320m
    The Duke of Northumberland – £300m
    Sting – £180m
    Graham Wylie – £150m
    Sir Ridley and Tony Scott – £105m
    William Rankin and family – £96m
    Dame Margaret Barbour – £85m
    Ian Gregg and family Bakeries – £82m
    Sir John Hall and family – £65m
    Mark Knopfler – £60m

Is there a genuine consortium in there with the finance and commitment to make the club work? Needs £250m I reckon to cover purchase and other costs.

• sahota

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Frustration is getting to everyone…including me. Frankly speaking I am very doubtful of Mike’s actions. I think if he is seriously interested to sell then by now we must have been sold. See Portsmouth, West ham …..

Can’t he come out and speak something. I was against any protests against Ashley when earlier people did so. But I want to do one myself now. Why the hell he can not speak out. I am doubting that he will again come with statement after month form now that he is unable to sell and now appointing so and so as manager with no funds…and he will take all money by selling our player to his home…

• hitman

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM

if theres offers in the coming shortly why did ashley feel the need to put this statement out.the blokes a mug

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Sorry, did I leave Ashley at the top of that list? He should have been on a seperate list reading: “Toon dismantlers and destroyers.”

• BenjiToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Hitman – he’s more like the top shelf of my kitchen cupboard. There’s at least a dozen mugs in there.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

There’s nothing in this world that would make me happier to have this man as our owner,,,another thing is that he’s born on the same day as me. 21.09 🙂

• Toon Graeme

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Sahota – I dont think that MA gives a flying pigs fart about what goes on at barrack road.

The end of the day when and if he sells – we are a championship team with over paid useless players, no manager (as I type) and 120+ newcastle workers out of a job through no fault of their own.

Some will argue on that but the facts are speaking for themselves. I dont want to hear about potential bidders – I wanna hear about bids!

Christ the tension! I need a chill pill or three.

• RyanToon

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

i bet there are no offers. wouldnt be the 1st time weve been to lied too, would it?!?!

• magpie6699

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I don’t agree with the totally negative / paranoid view that Ashley has no intention of selling. Employing people like these does not come cheap and would be a pointless waste of a major sum of money.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ashley is a maniac,he made soo much money by match fixing this season.

Many people here in the Balcan know that he fixed some matches especially the one with Aston Villa,you guys are taken for a ride BIG TIME by Ashley.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I’m only afraid that by the time all the fixing scandals are discovered by Uefa….only our club will suffer a la Genoa,and not the fat pig Ashley.

• bri h

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

wen we are sold we need to offload a lot of our players to get them off the wage bill an finance new players.if these players are sold would anybody be crying into their beer and wishing we could keep them. Michael Owen
    Mark Viduka
    Fabricio Coloccini
    Jose Enrique
    Claudio Cacapa
    Joey Barton
    Alan Smith
    Jonas Gutierrez
    Xisco
    Oba Martins
    Geremi

me for one would not be ,even martins who imo shows no composure in front of goal. thes players imo woul raise around 30m to 40m and save us afortune in wages and we would be able to get in good hard working hungry players who would love to pull on the black and white shirt and play infront of our great supporters .does anybody disagree with me

• ObaFan2

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Partizan, so how did this match-fixing work then? Please explain like who was paid to throw matches etc.?

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Obafan….those things are strictly confidental mate…..i remember last summer it was Hajduk vs Zagreb in the Croatian top league…the game was suppose to start at 17:00…..i got a phonecall at 15:30 by a person saying that the game will end 4-3 for Hajduk but at half time its gonna be 1-3 for Zagreb.

I didnt believe him and i thought he’s talking nonsence,but the game really ended that way.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Sorry Obafan…..it was Zadar-Varteks

1-3 for Varteks at half time
    4-3 for Zadar at full time

• waddler

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM

For an investment of £100 million plus £200/£300 million to build a top premiership team would be an absolute steal to any consortium who have the forethought to bring in winners at management level, Shearer may or may not be thet person, personally l would be looking to bring in a seasoned and world renowned operator who can speak English or offer Shearer a rolling contract similar to Sir Bobby’s contract.

• Rangerman

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Ashley isn’t going to appoint Shearer if one of the interested parties has said they wouldn’t be interested in having him as manager, it would be like the Allardyce scenario all over again but 10x worse as you can expect more mass protests for getting rid of the local here.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Its simple Oba,cos its all about the money.

A team that fights to survive in the last game and only needs 1 point to do it,would simple DIE on the pitch…..did it look that way with our players…….they looked like its an excibition game.

• Rangerman

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

………

It’s a way of saying he won’t accept any less than this, so don’t bother coming in with £75 million.

• ObaFan2

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Partizan, I just find it difficult to believe unless it’s the obvious like the ref or the keeper.

Even then it’s difficult to be precise unless you have nearly the whole team paid off but I hear what you say and the lack-lustre way we dropped out of the prem certainly makes me think.

Harper, Taylor, Duff and Oba certainly weren’t bought off.

• Stuart79

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

In my opinion Shearer is well aware of what is going on.

I don’t think he’d be hanging around for this long if he had been left in the dark.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Oba….Most cases i know with match fixing is when the owner usually picks up 1 defender usually and pays him to get a red card.

2: He pays the whole team to lose the game

3: He pays the manager to pick a losing team by placing the players on positions where they’re not comfortable.

4:He pays a certain player to fake an injury so some other who is 10 times worse than him to take his place.

There are many ways to do it Oba

• ObaFan2

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I understand that partizan but it’s not an exact science and especially in the prem.

The only case I can remember (in our top league)was Grobbelar but even then I can’t remember if it was proved or not.

It is probably easier in other countries and other leagues but in the prem I’m not so sure.

We nearly scored and should have in the first half against Villa but luck was against us and obviously it was a fluky deflection that got Villa’s goal.

• Partizan

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I hope you’re right Oba,but you never know whats behind the scenes.

I just want Ashley out Oba,,,whoever takes over can’t do worse than Ashley.

Deep inside me,i want FS back….but only if he’s backed by some Middle East group.

• Sav

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Keef ‘Arris sounds like a second hand car salesman. I am no psychoanalyst, but the continual use of two adjectives as in ‘real and decent interest’ and ‘good and gritty interest’ (wtf!??!) sounds like desperation and spoofing to me.
    We are in ‘clear and present danger’ of imploding if we don’t hear the sound of fingers popping out of wherever they have been shoved very soon. The longer this goes on, the more desperate our situation and the lower the price will have to go. Ashley has revealed his hand that he is outta here and refusing to take any responsibility for the coming season so the longer we drift, the more likely he will get ‘scrappage’ price for a train-wreck of a club. The vultures will wait until we’ve breathed our last before coming down for easy pickings.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM

good post Sav!

• Wigaz

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Ed & fellow mags, i have an idea. It has been mentioned on here before but i think it’s worth mentioning again. Barca are owned by fans so why cant we? I was crunching some numbers before & worked this out based on 50,000 fans. We clearly have more than that across the world but here me out. Now if we were to buy the club for £100m (Think we could haggle Ma down myself) & give shearer a £2m contract for a year (Until we see if we’re back up & receive further investment) & we gave him a transfer kitty of £20m based on 50,000 fans it would cost £2440 each. Now if increase the number of fans then it is cheaper clearly. Now if you include some famous fans who would be willing to kick more of a stake ie the likes of Ant & dec etc then things could be completed very easily. We could elect a spokesperson to for our group & the investors (Fans) would get to vote on that person. If someone has invested considerable amounts in to the club they would clearly have a majority vote but lets not get to in to that yet. Just the fans like you or I owning our club, shearer as boss with £20m kitty. £2440 or less. You decide. Ed would welcome your comments or an article or vote on this subject.

• SHEARER 4 TOON

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Sky sports news Obafemi Martins does NOT want to leave.