Shearer And Ashley Must Agree On Wage Packet

We had heard two weeks ago that Alan Shearer would have to lower his demands if he was going to be appointed Newcastle manager.

alan-shearer-352778059

Alan Shearer – wage demands seem too high

There were at least a couple of demands that we were aware of – one was his personal wages and those of his immediate staff, and the other was a transfer chest to bring in new players.

The transfer money was estimated to be anywhere from £15M to £20M, and presumably that will be needed to buy new players, but we wonder why money coming in from some of the transferred players can’t be used.

The players we will get in will necessarily need to be cheaper than the players we will let go, but of course in a fire sale we’ll not get anywhere near what the players are really worth. Their value will hardly have been enhanced either by being part of a relegation team last season.

The logic for the additional funds, was that Alan didn’t want to wait for players to be sold, before he could bring players in, as that didn’t work too well in January for Joe Kinnear.

But it’s Alan personal wages and those of his two assistants that seem to be high. The Mail is reporting that a couple of weeks ago at their meeting Alan asked for a package of £2.5M per year.

That was split as £1.75M for Alan, £500K for assistant manager Iain Dowie, and £250K for Paul Ferris.

But surely that package is far too high in the circumstances. Alan has never managed before, and he has hardly earned a high wage based on his track record, and couldn’t save the team in the 8 matches in charge at the end of last season.

If that is one of the sticking points Ashley has for appointing Shearer, surely there can be some arrangement or compromise reached. But of  course to reach any agreement the two will need to talk, which doesn’t seem to have happened much in the last 10 days or so.

We would think half that amount would be closer to a decent wage, and he would still be the highest wage paid in the Championship manager, and how many managers in the Premier League get half of £1.75M. Not too many.

The other sticking point is the transfer fund, and we don’t think Mike will be too willing to give Alan a fund, in addition to the money the club gets from the players they sell.

Every single player has been put up for sale by the club, which seems a rather desperate and cavalier move by Ashley.

Some of the moves he is making appear to suggest Ashley is angry at this whole affair, and he’s doing himself no favors by not explaining his position – but what’s news?

There’s no way a person should own a football club if they are not willing to at least speak to the fans – not to mention listen to them.  And that has been well demonstrated with Ashley’s reign on Tyneside – which has been an unmitigated disaster for the club and for Mike himself.

If those compensation figures for Shearer are correct, we think they are too high, given the circumstances at the club, where some players who stay, may be asked to take a cut in wages.

But with Mike putting the club up for sale and asking for responses by email, the papers are having another field day with Newcastle United this morning – and the soap opera seems to continue unabated, with the club in a the worst condition it’s been in for years and years.

Some legacy left by Mike Ashley, to be sure.

• Micky Toon

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Ed – I can’t agree on the speaking to the fans part. To me an owner can be silent. It’s the chairman he appoints who should do all of the talking. He is the owners general manager who is there to take care of the running of the club. Ashley is to blame for a lot of things, but his communication with the fans shouldn’t even be a question that is asked.
    As for the speculation that Ashley is angry with the whole situation, well, welcome to our world Fat Mike. The difference is that this mess is not any of our doing, we don’t really have a say in what happens, YOU DO. YOU could have saved this, but YOU don’t have the skills or the balls to do it. Mike Ashley can do something to at least got some way to fixing this mess, but we can’t. We have to sit and wait for the most incompetent business man in the world to try and sell something he knows nothing about. Even the bloke who bought London bridge, thinking he was buying tower bridge has more brains and is a better business man than Ashley.

• batty

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM

ED things will only get worse untill dumb and dumber get ott of the toon

• Darling27

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I agree Batty things are going to get a lot worse.

• Ericles

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Is Joe Kinnear still being paid by NUFC? Are Hughton and Calderwood? That waste of space Owen certainly is. So what is the problem? Surely Shearer and his staff will not be a financial burden once we have unloaded that shower? It seems Brum want Edgar too. If he goes he will be with a premier club again. My oh my.

• Eaststander

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Ed Harrison is there any chance that this website has become big enough to do something about this idiot in charge of our club. Can we all not pull together with the NUSC to try and start something off may be involving season ticket sales. I feel powerless just sitting watching this absolute moron pull this club apart and I am sure there is thousands of geordies around the world feeling the same. Is there anything we can do via this website.

• Girth

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM

every player at every club is for sale, example, kaka..

• Micky Toon

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Eaststander – We have to face up to it. We can’t do ANYTHING. The NUSC are toothless. They seem to be more interested in putting on bingo for their members than anything going on at NUFC. They should be getting on local radio and TV or at least the Chronicle. This website is just that a website. No one cares what the internet thinks in the real world.

• murvar

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Well said, Micky Toon. The Journal is reporting that 55% of season ticket holders aren’t going to renew; that may explain this desperate attempt to raise cash by selling any players that other clubs will offer to buy. Is it any coincidence that AShley’s other business is pear-shaped (a bit like him?) It increasingly seems that this guy got rich by getting lucky, and his odd approach to business management has caught up with him. Sadly, to our detriment. And why can’t he come to an interim appointment with Shearer eg 6 months to cover a takeover and thereby not obliging the new owners to stick with him? Al may not accept but at least he would consider it. And I don’t think the figures in the article (£1.75m + £500,00 + £250,000) are unreasonable for a club of this scale.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Lads,

I dont think there is anything we can do apart from do our talking with our feet – be it turn up at SJP in our droves or not at all.

I think the harsh reality is simply that we (the toon army) cant control anything that is going on.

If it IS true about Shearer’s pay demands then I think he is pricing himself out a job. Then again Ive got to say my wages are confidential and are only known between me and HR – so how does everyone know.

Watching SSN with the newly promoted teams fans quing to get their season tickets made me feel REALLY pissed off.

I am debating to go single match or season ticket.

I would be interested in everyone else thoughts on this.

ED – whack a pole up to see what people are thinking of doing with their tickets – just so we can guage the general feeling.

• Eaststander

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Micky I know its just I am totally f**ked off that we cant do anything about it. Thats the worst thing about all of this is the fact none of the real fans that this is hurting more than anyone else can do a bloody thing about it.

• batty

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Micky Toon // Jun 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Mag48 – It’s not right, but you just know he’s increased his security just because of that. Geordies have long memories, we have to due to the fact that we last won something 40 years ago, and it will take a long time for us to forget the Ashley years.
    <<<<<< i will never forget them m8 ile still be thinking aboot it on me death bed

• archie100

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

1.75m works out at 33k a week give or take. If he’s working off the Robson/Mourinho idea that the manager should be better paid than the playing squad then it looks reasonable, and it hopefully gives us a wage cap of 30k a week.

Or the papers could be making it up as they go along….

• Toon Graeme

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Eaststander – I take you sit in the easy stand?

Im a leazes corner man myself – well I was.

I agree with the way you feel mate. I think we all do.

• Ericles

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I am beginning to worry that NUFC may end up in the hands of administration. Ashley is hell bent on screwing NUFC for all he can get before he clears back off to his mates at Spurs. He feels no remorse, he has no regard for the feelings of others, he has no idea of how his behaviour affects others, and he repeats the same errors over and over again – hey, those are the symptoms of psychopathy!!!!!

• BenjiToon

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM

The situation is actually becoming clearer by the day:

1. Ashley has either run out of cash (not assets) or refuses to spend anything more on the club

2. the bank has called in it’s credit preventing the club from operating dakey functions like recruitment or sigining of contracts

3. Ashley is taking no action in respect of NUFC finances except stripping assets (staff, players)…also presumably recouping as much of his £100m “loan” as he can

4. interest in buying the club exists but buyers want to know the business is in good enough shape to manage, and not a bloody mess – it isn’t so Ashley is flogging whatever he can to balance the books

5. appointing a manager with rebuilding plans will upset the fire-sale of players, sacking of staff and general asset robbery. It will also put pressure on the owner to spend money on player, which he doesn’t want to do.

Basically, Shearer is in limbo because Ashley and Lambias don’t want someone in the way of their money grabbing, cost-cutting sale. I now fear we’re stuck like this until new owners come in.

I hope I’m wrong.

• Eaststander

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Graeme thats right and belive it or not when my £600, that I have already half paid for, season ticket comes through I will probably say ok because thats the only thing I can think of right now even though I am so p155ed off that my money is going to fund more destruction I really don’t know what to do other than come on here occasionly and vent my my frustration. Rant over I just pray to god someone buys us like me or one of the many who come on here. ASHLEY please p155 off

• THE MAGPIE

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM

A number of people have said no such demands have been made-what really happened was that Ashley thought Shearer would come up with some miracle plan that would cost him nothing.
    That he Ashley would have control over sales and purchases etc. Crikey they were negotiating for 3 solid days.
    When it was clear that Shearer wasnt going to be the mug front man as they tried with Keegan then he decided to sell up.
    Ashley is not interested in next season, if the club isnt sold in the next 8 weeks then he might start to focus on next season in the meantime nothing is going to happen.

• Chris G

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Ed – I agree that 1.75 mil a year seems a lot for a rookie manager, but let’s get it in perspective – it works out at about 34k a week, and apparently we’ve got a dozen or so fairly ordinary players who are being paid a hell of a lot more than that.

I can’t really believe that Shearer’s wage demands are a major stumbling block – I think we all know that the problem lies elsewhere.

• Chris G

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:46 AM

archie100 – sorry, hadn’t seen your comment when I posted mine 🙁

• ian

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM

No way should Shearer get any more money than a normal manager starting out in the championship, why should anyone demnd more when they have no track record??

If he is any good he will get us back up and his reward will be success, a track record and management of the third largest attendance club in the country.

Any additional money needs to be spent subsidising the likes of Martins to get us back up, players win games, no manager can win with the wrong players.

Martins will knock in over 20 goals in the championship with better support.

• Micky Toon

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM

They way I look at Shearer wages is like this – If we needed to sign a superstar centre forward to save us and start banging in the goals we wouldn’t think twice about paying him £40k a week. Small change compared to Owen, by the way. Shearer looks like he is the only person who can help us kick start the changes this club so desperately needs, so why not pay him £34k a week? If there was some way he could 100% guarantee PL football in 2010/2011 then I’d say pay him £100k a week.

• ian

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Too much Micky Toon, this is Shearer’s chance to make it as a manager, if he succeeds he will be made for life, maybe manage England one day. Manage us in the premiership.

If we pay him too much then all we are doing is taking money away from the team and then we cant afford to buy the player or keep the player capable of banging in the 20+goals needed to win the championship, catch 22.

Shearer has to work for less than the most highly paid championship manager, it has always been our downfall overpaying one person by far too much, Owen is a prime example.

If he deamnds as much or more than the top manager in the championship then he is definately the wrong person for the job.

• Chris G

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

So tell me guys, who is this mysterious player who is capable of banging in the 20+ goals needed to win the championship?

I’m not sure that Oba will still be around by then, so my guess would be Nile Ranger.

Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps, but if we got Oba off the payroll we could use that money to pay the combined salaries of the young striker and his possible future manager.

And I reckon that Alan could teach the young lad a trick or two 🙂

• ObaFan2

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Sorry for being so naive but I thought being a manager of a football club is so much more demanding than playing football. There is so much for a manager to do and so many things to think about and sort out and the pressure is always on the manager IMO.

I do not think that these payment details for a club such as ours is excessive, especially considering the job in hand and the future rebuild needed. Infact if he does a good job it’ll be great value for money!

• Tom_Toon