Oba Martins – I Love Newcastlle And Want To Stay

Oba Martins has come out today and said what many fans had heard last week – he wants to stay at Newcastle, and help to get the club back to the Premier League.

oba-martins-234

Oba Martins – wasn’t happy when he learned he may be sold

Martins is represented by Errol Dapo and says he is more than ready to tackle second-division football with Newcastle, and told the Evening Chronicle from Nigeria today:

“I hope I am not sold.” “If the club decide to sell me I have no choice but to go.” “But my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season.”

“I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.” “I know the club is for sale and that is hard for the fans.

“Yet I hear there could be some light at the end of the tunnel eventually.”

Martins was signed by Glenn Roeder back in the summer of 2006, for £10M and it’s understood the former chairman is part of one of the consortia ready to relieve the incompetent Mike Ashley of the famous Tyneside club.

Oba is a firm fan favorite of course, and he played through injury to try to save the team, and seems to be in awe of a certain Alan Shearer, and would probably run straight through a brick wall for the Newcastle Legend. 😀

Martins is one of nine players who are top of the list to be sold, but he says he wants to stay despite second-division football.

Martins added:

“I have been in Italy for treatment lately.” “There I spoke to a lot of people about Juventus and their demotion to Serie B.”

“Back then, they still kept very, very good players such as Pavel Nedved, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluigi Buffon.”

“That helped them get promoted, so I can take a lot of solace from that.”

Martins is one of a few players, who want to stay at the club and help the fallen and famous club return to former glories.

Steven Taylor, Habib Beye, Steve Harper, Nicky Butt and Alan Smith are others who would like to stay and are ready to roll up their sleeves to get the club back next season, at their first attempt.

But Alan Shearer was still waiting to hear any news today from Newcastle Managing Director Derek Llambias regarding the vacant managerial position at the club, and until he or somebody else is signed, the Newcastle ship continues to drift aimlessly in the ocean.

However, once Alan is appointed look for him to get with the new owners and see exactly what the wage bill needs to be and don’t be surprised if he decides to keep one or two of the high wage earners, and maybe Martins and Smith may be the ones who get lucky.

We’ll need a lot more fight in the squad next season, and it’s great for the club that the likes of Martins and Smith want to stay on Tyneside, and help the club back to glory – and we think Alan will know that’s what it will take.

But once Alan is appointed will be the time Newcastle will need to forget all about the taunts and ridicule we have taken these last few weeks, and realize we probably deserve most of them – and then get back to making this club great again.

We must answer our critics on the field of play next season.

Yes – it will be difficult in the Championship and every team will raise their game when they play Newcastle – but we should take that as a compliment, and any players who plays for Newcastle next year must have Newcastle United written across their brows – and then anything is possible. 😀

We heard one England fan on Sky Sports on Wednesday, addressing the tube strike,  say just think  what it was like for our lads on D-day and then trying to get to Wembley stadium for the England game will be rather easy. And an amazing 58,000 turned up for the game which England won 6-0 .

That’s the kind of spirit we need from the lads next season, and yes, it’s great to have these players associated with the club right now, whether they stay or go in the summer .

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Fair play to the lad for being prepared to play us out of this 5hite, but excuse my lack of knowledge if I’ve got it wrong here…

“If the club decide to sell me I have no choice but to go.”

…if he’s contracted until 2011 can he not just say “no, I’m staying here.”

??

• Ericles

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

We must keep Oba at all costs. Am I right in thinking that as a contracted player he can refuse to be sold and honour his time? Anyway it is the present inept bunch of gooneys running the club who say we have to sell and slash the wage bill. But what of the new owners? They may say – keep Oba and pay him his contracted salary. Owen is going so there is one fat packet less to find – we could pay three players for that wedge!

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Ericles

SNAP!

• Dragonera

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

• Ed Harrison

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Yes true – but once the club says they want to sell you – most people just take the hint and go – if a suitable offer comes in. And what he means also is that the club may just not be able to afford his wages and will have to sell him.
    But we need to get Alan in to sort out the status of some of our players.

• batty

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Dragonera // Jun 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Obviously He is only saying this as he is earning a pretty penny here. However, as i said on an earlier thread, if we are to keep any of our wasters i would gladly keep Oba. The biggest jump in quality from the Championship to the Premier League is in defence. He is simply too good for Championship defenders.<<<<agree m8 he would run them off there feet

• Toon Graeme

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I would love to see him stay and get back to a form of sorts as he has been wide of consistant and injured (which sort of answers that) this last season.

Ive got a nagging doubt that he will though as I think his wages are too high.

Its a right pisser not knowing what is going on and what is gonna happen!

I see level 7 is now closed for all cup matches.

• ian

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I think the board put that ‘asking price’ clause in there so either can get out, Oba can leave if they hit asking price or the club can sell if the asking price is hit, I may be wrong but I think that is in there.

If we are serious about getting back up I agree we need to keep him, firstly he will score and do his part to get us up we already know that but maybe even more importantly it means the club only has to buy one premiership striker unless of course either Carroll or Nile Ranger show themselves to be top quality strikers. Two premiership strikers of any quality would cost a fortune in today’s market, probably £36m to be sure of any reasonable quality, even then one could be half the player of Oba look at Keane at Liverpool.

• stevep

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I like Oba but can we afford to keep him, he is one of the players on over 70k a week and his premiership shots to goals ratio aint that great tho you have to think that Oba would score a hatful in the championship.

Given that we’ve recently gotten Viduka, Owen off the books we’re going to be short of proven strikers, I’d prefer to kick out Shola to be honest as I think both Carroll and Ranger are preferable to him.

Obviously I’m presuming that we are sold pretty soon as if Ashley and co are still here everyone will be gone other than hughton and a few kids, if thats the case…… hello league one 🙁

• Stevo

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Oba would be class in the championship and it may help him back to the cracking form we know he has.

• beyethegreat

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM

rodz he could just say no but why stay if the club would prefer to sell

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

….I hear what yers are saying Ed and BTG, but I’m sure Oba’d know it’s the CLUB that wants to sell him I.E. Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, not the loyal fans he’s most likely grown to love.

I’d like to think (hope) there’s a few of our players that would drag their heels in such a scenario; for the sake of the most important part of NUFC – it’s heart – the fans.

• Zangwill_Ho

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

If I were the holder or manger of Newcastle, I must keep Martins. Good player, loyal player, must keep . Money player fuck away

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

… ian@8, I wasn’t aware of that clause you mentioned. Who knows with Newcastle United these days. I’ve given up trying to work things out.

(err, no I haven’t)

🙂

• Doocey

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Great news , best news all day.
    Now all we need is a takeover completed soon and we’re back in business.

• Robbanufc

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

This is news to celebrate, even though we might end up selling him. He shows he loves Newcastle and the Newcastle fans!

Rodzilla, yes, he can refuse to go and honour his contract… But if the club decides it’s best he leaves, he wont stay… If he then decides to cut his wage bill, and sign a new contract with lower wages, he shows he’s a true Geordie!

Big Dave, if you see this.. look at the previous post! left you a message there :p

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM

…cheers Robba, let’s just hope we hurry up and get a sale agreement, then it’s likely we can employ Al while it goes through – and he can start to have some sort of influence on the squad!

(if he isn’t already)

• Widowmaker

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I would like to see Oba stay if possible. Most of our other players are cheaper to replace and this guy means it when he was talking about Juventus. He must loves Newcastle to a degree to compare us with Juve.

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM

…end of the day Widowmaker, he seems prepared to sacrifice one year of his short footballing career to help us out of the 5hit. Wages or not, that’s got to be commendable.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Any money he’s not a Newcastle player next season! BUT if he did stay he would absolutly rip the Championship apart.

• Zangwill_Ho

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I like him very much, a loyal player!!!! Keep him, sell Owen

• Rangerman

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM

What makes people think Martins is on £70k per week here? Last I heard he was on £50k when there was talk about giving him a new contract to get rid of that daft clause in it.

I’m glad he’s said this because he could earn good money in Spain or Italy, unlike some of our wasters you get the feeling Oba’s being genuine here.

• harry861

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I agree about Martin to keep him if possible, he would do well in the championship. regards Alan Smith get rid of him he’s been a total disaster along with Shola , Carrol & Ranger are head & shoulder better than him. Would also like to keep Duff

• ian

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I also agree rangerman about Martins.

I think people watch a lot of football but they do not actually SEE what is happening.

It would cost about £1m to subsidise Martins in this championship, if we got back up, which would be possible with Martins, Carroll, Nile Ranger, Ameobi and Martins as strikers providing we got some decent midfielders Lua Lua and co we would not in the current market buy another player like Martins proven in the premiership for £10m, no way.

Look at every other strikers availability over the time back to Roeders management here, Martins has been available and scoring every single season, Owen played more games than Martins this season and Owen is supposed to be a top striker, there is nothing between them, previous seasons when Martins has held the prime striker position as pointed out by others he has scored more goals, obvious really the position you are given influences the goals you can score.

Look at the other striking disasters we could have paid money for at the start of this season, Ashton, Defoe, Bellamy – had his first really bad season but still scored well considering, Kuyt – eventually after how many seasons starts looking ok but still a,low scorer, Mccarthy, Rooney-relative to his worth, Alves the top scorer in the World at one time, Mido, Johnson and so on.

Let us be factual about Martins, he cost less than Milner he is half price of a top premiership striker, anyone here think the new owners if they buy will spend £50m on two strikers if we get back up? Dream on.

If you think it is a good idea going out with £10m next year to find a top premiership striker good luck!

If you think a new striker from elsewhere will drop in to our team get us 20 championship goals, work for £30k per week get us back up then be good enough for the premiership and you can find them then you are in the wrong job and there is great demand for you in football.

The strikers we have minus Owen and Viduka would work in the championship, Nile Ranger and Carroll would have their chance to shine with Martins as known quantity.

I agree I do not think they increased Martins wages to get the sale clause out of his contract, they only talked about it.

• Tom_Toon