It is now almost 3 weeks since the side was relegated and almost 2 weeks since Mike Ashley put the Tyneside club up for sale.
So it seems a decent time to see what has been achieved at the club, since we were relegated at around 6:00pm on 24th May
- All players in the first team squad have been put up for sale
- 9 of these players have been identified as high priority but any bids received that meet Newcastle’s asking price will result in the player leaving the club – whoever they are
- Not one player has yet been sold
- Not one player has yet been brought into the club
- On June 30th the contracts of Owen, Viduka, Cacapa and Edgar will end, and their wages will be off the club’s books. That will reduce the Newcastle wage bill by around £245K/week – rough estimate
- That’s just under £13M a year, but we hasten to add this is only the case because Newcastle management had nothing to actually do – to accomplish this
- We currently have no manager managing the club.
- We don’t know who the new owners will be – but we are told there are four consortia interested in buying the club:
- A local one headed by former Chairman Freddy Shepherd
- The Sultan of Oman led consortium
- One from South Africa
- The Profitable Group based in Singapore
- We are told two of the above – presumably the one headed by Shepherd and the one from South Africa are in advanced talks, and it looks like the phantom bid this morning, from five local businessmen, was simply a hoax
- Season tickets have been mailed out this week, but we wonder if Ashley and LLambias expect anybody to actually sign up, since we don’t know who the new manager or new owners will be
- Maybe they do – and at least that would be consistent with the rest of their rather suspect judgements of the last three weeks
- Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie are still up in the air regarding a decison from Ashley on becoming Newcastle manager and assistant manager, which Ashley promised Alan at the end of the first week after relegation, and following intensive talks with Ashley and Llambias. Like all poor businessmen, Mike is sitting on the fence and will not make a decision
- Alan is still (rather patiently) waiting for an answer – positive or negative
- We have no idea, nor have we been told, who will be taking the training on July 1st, which is two weeks come next Wednesday, when players (those who are still with us and haven’t been able to get out of the Newcastle mad house) report back for pre-season training.
Is this a complete mess – or is this a complete mess?
In the real world outside of football, if this company had been managed like this – believe us – heads would have rolled by now.
The leadership of Newcastle in the last three weeks has been a complete disgrace, with absolutely no information being relayed to the fans – or the players for that matter – who don’t know if they are coming or going – literally.
These are shades of the bunker mentality Ashley and his cohorts took after Kevin Keegan left the club, and which they kept going for four months, before finally apologizing.
And this lot call themselves businessmen? I’ve had some experience in big business when I was in at IBM, and we would call this lot incompetents of the very highest order, and we cannot wait for them to get out of Toon.