Status Update On Newcastle United

It is now almost 3 weeks since the side was relegated and almost 2 weeks since Mike Ashley put the Tyneside club up for sale.

nufc-crest4

So it seems a decent time to see what has been achieved at the club, since we were relegated at around 6:00pm on 24th May

• All players in the first team squad have been put up for sale
  • 9 of these players  have been identified as high priority but any bids received that meet Newcastle’s asking price will result in the player leaving the club – whoever they are
  • Not one player has yet been sold
  • Not one player has yet been brought into the club
  • On June 30th the contracts of Owen, Viduka, Cacapa and Edgar will end, and their wages will be off the club’s books. That will reduce the Newcastle wage bill by around £245K/week – rough estimate
    • That’s just under £13M a year, but we hasten to add this is only the case because Newcastle management had nothing to actually do – to accomplish this
  • We currently have no manager managing the club.
  • We don’t know who the new owners will be – but we are told there are four consortia interested in buying the club:
    • A local one headed by former Chairman Freddy Shepherd
    • The Sultan of Oman led consortium
    • One from South Africa
    • The Profitable Group based in Singapore
  • We are told two of the above – presumably the one headed by Shepherd and the one from South Africa are in advanced talks, and it looks like the phantom bid this morning, from five local businessmen, was simply a hoax
  • Season tickets have been mailed out this week, but we wonder if Ashley and LLambias expect anybody to actually sign up, since we don’t know who the new manager or new owners will be
    • Maybe they do – and at least that would be consistent with the rest of their rather suspect judgements of the last three weeks
  • Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie are still up in the air regarding a decison from Ashley on becoming Newcastle manager and assistant manager, which Ashley promised Alan at the end of the first week after relegation, and following intensive talks with Ashley and Llambias. Like all poor businessmen, Mike is sitting on the fence and will not make a decision
    • Alan is still (rather patiently) waiting for an answer – positive or negative
  • We have no idea, nor have we been told, who will be taking the training on July 1st, which is two weeks come next Wednesday, when players (those who are still with us and haven’t been able to get out of the Newcastle mad house) report back for pre-season training.

Is this a complete mess – or is this a complete mess?

In the real world outside of football, if this company had been managed like this – believe us – heads would have rolled by now.

The leadership of Newcastle in the last three weeks has been a complete disgrace, with absolutely no information being relayed to the fans – or the players for that matter – who don’t know if they are coming or going – literally.

These are shades of the bunker mentality Ashley and his cohorts took after Kevin Keegan left the club, and which they kept going for four months, before finally apologizing.

And this lot call themselves businessmen?    I’ve had some experience in big business when I was in at IBM,  and we would call this lot  incompetents of the very highest order, and we cannot wait for them to get out of Toon.

• jettson1971

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM

yes, its a complete mess at this great club, thanx to complete tossers from down south!! do we know the gossip regarding the 5 local businessmen headed by Rick Parkinson is a hoax? it seemed pretty genuine according to reports – what is the position do we actually know???

• Toon_Factor

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I want Edgar signed up! hopefully he can become a starter at centre back NOT right back!

• Tel

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Surely if a deal is imminent, ie in the next couple of weeks, no one can be bought or sold as this will make a farce of due dilligence, ie sell a 3mil player and the club devalues by 3 mil, ashley, although not the brightest in running a football club must realise he cant sell an assett ie the whole club and staff, then deliver the whole club and some of the staff, whilst pocketing the difference. Or put it another way, if you saw a car in a brochure agreed to buy it, then when it was delivered it only had three wheels you would be a bit miffed, and probably wouldnt pay for it…Thats it now off to the pub to get merry.

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Guys aren’t you a bit tired of firing at the dark?

I assure you Mike Ashley is not incompetent, nor maverick business comet bound to burn out. This guy owns 40% of Adidas. Now tell me, do you seriously believe he is that stupid to handle this by himself or some casino pal? There are whole divisions who work behind the scenes. Decisions are made by highly educated professionals – marketing decisions, remember, those we accuse Ashley of being incompetent at.

I was lost just like all of you until very recently, when finally I started to get a grasp of the mess. I can say I have an insider with some quite explaining information (even though it doesn’t make the whole thing any less painful, I assure you) – I will share what I know and where I know it from if you promise to take it seriously and not ridicule me like another Alan Oliver or something.

And if I am promised some confidentiality as I believe my source reads those boards occasionally.

• Mag 48

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Ed
    Ive got a horrible feeling you’ll be repeating this story next week and the week after.

• woodsee

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

toon factor Edgars shite and not big enough for centre half.
    The bruisers in the championship would make mincemeat of him
    Astowards club status,most fans on suicide watch..

• Tom

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Woodsee

Edgar had an excellent game at centreback against Stoke, a team known for their “bruiser” approach. His position is centre back but he keeps getting shifted to the flanks, he would absolutely be worth resigning on a new contract!

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:23 PM

KevinHann

hahaha, how can you assume a “promise of confidentiality” from a complete stranger on a blog?

Just post your inside news up here mate. I promise I won’t tell anyone 😉

…and yeah “This guy owns 40% of Adidas”

…that may well be true, but ain’t got a Scooby Doo how to run a football club. I’ve some sausages in my fridge that are 40% meat, but I very much doubt they’d make a good fruit salad.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM

KevinHann – Im all ears mate – Im glad to hear anything you have – but over the past 2 years we have had some right guff on here – spill the beans fella.

Im just signed up for my season ticket – call it blind loyalty. So Im back up the Leazes Access 8.

• hitman

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM

kevin han ashley dosnt own 40% of adidas more like 1%, do your research b4 you post.

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Woodsee, I’d disagree about Edgar – I’d class 6ft 2 for a 21 year old quite big personally; and from the few games I’ve seen him play, he looks decent. Certainly worth keeping as a squad player I’d think.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Rodzilla – 🙂

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Rodzilla – I mean I don’t want Ed to publish a story stating “our fellow supporter from Bulgaria knows this guy who works at…” as it can damage his job. I’m not scared someone will read all those comments here – that must tell you something 🙂

I have put some pieces to the puzzle and they fit quite well. I’m not saying I have it all revealed, but it hell sounds more realistic than “Billionaire makes stupid decision after stupid decision without any logical reason nor learning from his mistakes and finally decides to sell at double loss” – wouldn’t any of you at least consider an alternative option if it is backed with some logic?!

• workyticket

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM

woodsee // Jun 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

“toon factor Edgars shite and not big enough for centre half.”

woodsee, you need your eyes testing. Edgar’s around 6′ 2″!!!

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I mean we are all gutted, devastated with what has been going on, but the truth is we don’t have a clue – and we just vent our emotions to what seems the best possible option – the owner.

I’ll share my story if Ed promises he won’t quote who and where he got it from and will erase my comments before publishing it. And I assure you it will be more interesting than daily “Newcastle in the dark” updates.

• Big Dave

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM

KevinHann the suspense is killing me

• UTD111

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I got a letter from a Mr Llambias this morning telling me that for a mere £494, I can help him get United back in England’s top flight where they belong.
    Could have sworn the same Mr Llambias has legged it out of town and is helping his fat cockney friend try to asset strip our entire playing staff.
    No owner, no manager, no direction, no plans….no thanks.

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM

KevinHann,

I’m all ears (or eyes). I don’t know who you are, and with no disrespect, you could be talking utter tripe – but all news is worth considering for me.

…hell, might as well read peoples’ assumptions – we ain’t hearing FA from NUFC.

Hold on while I get some salt…….

• AndyT

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Kevin, you don’t have to put any of the info of the person on here. Just say, “this is what I’ve heard…”
    If Ed wants to make this a seperate article, he can go for it, i suppose. What else do we have to read about and discuss, players maybe leaving? Spill the beans.

• UTD111

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

• Toon Graeme

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Kevin – come on spill your sh*t sorry info (just kiddin)

• Mickalonius

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:39 PM

KevinHann – Please post what you have heard, I have been following events at St. Jame’s very closely and some of the decision made by ‘very educated’ management of Newcastle have been sabsolutely shambolic :- Who hired Joe Kinnear ? Who hired Dennis Wise ? What qualifications did Jeff Vetere et al have ? What scouting reports were done on Collocini, Xisco or Gonzalez ? Why the decision to to let Keegan walk ? Why LIE about the fact that Keegan had final say on all players coming and going. Why the communication black out….again. Does the Newcastle Management seriusly expect people to commit to new season tickets ????? It has been one blunder after another… Please post your answers to admin@Newcastle.co.uk

• AndyT

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Kevin, come on, please! What’s going on? Is Ashley possessed by demons or something??

• workyticket

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

UTD111 // Jun 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

“KevinHann – we already had Bull like this all last season from Starprick…..don’t insult our intelligence.”

What intelligence UTD111? 🙂

• hitman

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

WTF, this plank nos nowt, hes on a pi$$ take

• UTD111

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Workyticket – you kept that alias going then did you Starprick?

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM

UTD – I’m not claiming this is the Truth. I just have heard interesting bits of information from a source that I can call a personal friend of mine (and a fellow Newcastle supporter) and it builds into a code that could well explain some of the irrational events from the past 18 or so months. I am bound to make some assumptions or admit the possibility that my friend’s liason is lying for some reason, so I’m not selling you utter garbage just to trick you – but if you find it reasonable I would be glad I have helped.

It’s not like I’m saying we’ll sign this and that player, just giving some food for mental digestion.

If Ed gives me the green light I need, I’ll shoot right away. Please understand I can’t do it without that green light though 🙁

• Sawbuck

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Highly educated professionals means nothing these days.

Matthew Sayed went to Balliol College Oxford don’t you know, and all its qualified him for is to make endless snotty remarks about Newcastle fans.

• workyticket

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Utd 111, you know nothing. Keep it to yourself.

• Mag 48

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Now Kevin have you been allowed out for the day? What time did they say they would take you back?

• AndyT

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Ed, where’s that green light?
    It’s obvious we’re at least a little interested in Kevin’s secret theories.

• UTD111

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Yep….there’s the telltale arrogance Starprick LOL

• UTD111

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Maybe Ed isn’t around – I’m sure he’s got better things to do than monitor this place all day ;o)

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM

KevinHann

The more you build us all up for this, the sh1tter it’s gona be. Best just spit it out now mate before you deliver the anti-climax of all anti-climaxes.

And I’d get yer sleeping bag oot if yer waiting for Ed to acknowledge you.

(Dave, I replied to your reply)

• hitman

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

lads what are yous doing yous arnt falling for this spunk trenches shite…..are yous

• workyticket

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Rod, am I “Stardust”?

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Rodzilla – I have been typing it in notepad while waiting, it isn’t time wasted. It’s not two sentences and I have to be careful how I phrase it. I can promise it will be an interesting reading the least.

• KevinHann

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM

By the way is there a length limit for comments?

• hitman

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM

worky if your not stardust your his BF.lol

• Rodzilla

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM

UTD111, or anyone else for that matter, I can assure you all that Workyticket and Stardust are two completely different people.

KevinHann, ooooh, how lovely. I’m now fully prepared.

Smoking Jacket – check
    Pipe – check
    Hot steaming mug of Horlicks – check
    Large bowl of salt – check

LET’S ROCK AND ROLL!!!