Give Alan Shearer A Rolling Contract Now

The message that Newcastle United honorary vice-president for life,  Malcolm Dix has delivered to Mike Ashley is to give Alan Shearer a rolling contract, just like the great Bobby Robson used to have, and we support that 100%.

nufc-crest4

Dix was a founding member of the Magpie Group, that swept Sir John Hall to power at St James’s Park in the early 1990s, and it seems like Dix gets on well with Ashley, who behind the scenes may even be human.

There’s got to be a way to get Alan Shearer involved at the club, so he can start the work he has already has detailed to Mike Ashley.

And with nothing going on at the club, something has to give soon, and we have to hope it’s not the club that goes even further down into the abyss. The appointment of Shearer as manager would electrify the fans, and eventually get some season tickets sold.

And our players, currently left high and dry by the club, would feel like Newcastle at least have the right man leading them in the Championship next season.

Dix talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“I have spoken to someone at the club and made the suggestion that Alan Shearer be offered a rolling contract, and that message is being passed on to Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias,”

“It would help Alan and help the club.” “I know Alan would love a four or five-year contract, but this way he’s not tied to anything should any investors come in. A new owner may want their own man – this way Alan wouldn’t need paying up.”

“Sir Bobby (Robson) did it for a long time without a problem, and it’s not like Alan is short of money and needs the security of a long contract.”

“It would encourage Alan, and help him to dispose of players and get some in. It would also encourage people to buy season tickets. The club must send out a positive message.”

“People want to see positivity. You have to give them a reason to part with £500 or £600. It’s a mess at the moment. When Mike Ashley announced he was putting the club up for sale 48 hours after being in discussions with Alan, I found it peculiar.”

“I thought we were on our way, then this.”   “It’s easy to point the finger and say ‘I told you so’. But there is a club to run. It’s like there’s been a death in the family, but we must move on.”

“We have to get things moving forward.”   “I would love to see Sir John (Hall) involved in some capacity. He wouldn’t do it directly, himself, but possibly with his family business, Cameron Hall. They could take over and run it, they know how it’s done. They have money and contacts.”

“Remember though, this is our football club, irrespective of who runs it. That is very important.”

We like everything Dix says apart from getting John Hall back involved at the club, because we think his time has come and gone, and we need new local young blood at the club.

We salute Dix for making his common-sense suggestion, and we have to hope and pray now that Mike Ashley acts on that suggestion, quickly.

It would prove to be a bit of very good news, in a time when we are surrounded by gloom and doom, and the club is being made a fool of in the press.

That needs to stop, and it will if Alan can only get the job he craves.

It’s better for everybody involved at the club – including Ashley himself – so lets do it Mike – please!.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Malcolm Dix makes a lot of sense one of the few people at the club that knows what is needed.

• magforlife

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM

An injection of football common sense is just whats needed at this club but i cant see lambias and ashley having the sense to take this advice, they seem to lurch from one disaster to another and it would also make sense to get someone sensible at the wheel like Chris Mort as well.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:28 PM

What do you think the fan reaction would be if the new lot came in and got rid of Shearer straight away without giving him a chance?

The Keegan fiasco all over again.

• Penalty-Spot

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Magforlife – couldn’t agree more. There’s no way FA and DL are going to do anything to help us other than sell, and even that to late.

I’ve been trying; relly trying to get more positive and rise above the negativity that even Ed has written. But I can’t, we seen fooked and destined for much more than just the one Championship season 🙁

• magforlife

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Rangerman, nothing compared to the fan reaction to season ticket purchases as they appear to sit and do nothing at all to give anyone any hope with a criminal lack of information coming out of the club

• toonoholic

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM

good post ed, but unfortunately the thick skins sitting at the top wont even entertain this idea.
    what is mike ashley made of ? its like running a kingdom and not taking care of his subject or his army. The worse is , the man is adamant enough to not give up nor to fight back !

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM

If people only want to go when we are winning then that’s up to them, most were not interested when we were down a league last time yet think our fanbase is great.

Now what do you think the fan reaction would be if they were to come in and sack Shearer straight away?

• komfort

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM

sound very sensible thing to do , therefore you can bet ash wont be doing it.

• alkinou

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I’ve heard loads of different stuff about Newcastle. Somme people actually told me that MA helped fix the Newcastle’s finances and they’re quiet healthy now.
    Some other people told me that the club has loads of debts.
    Can anyone tell me what’s really going on on that level, please !!

• magforlife

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I have been supporting the club since the sixties and have mainly paid at the gate, i was kind of squeezed out during the glory years as i couldnt afford a season ticket, but when i bought single tickets or borrowed you would think i was an alien when taking my seat by the reaction of some around me. I will be going to most games this season so i suppose i for have benefited and there will be many like me, my point was though that fans wont splash the cash unless the club also promises to invest.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Rangerman if as Malcolm Dix says he would be on a rolling contract so the fans wouldnt be up in arms the same way they would be if he was just handed the managers job. As things stand now each day is another day behind and less chance of comeing back up

• Tino 11

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Rangerman – Just because you can afford a season ticket doesn’t make you a better supporter! I had a season ticket for over 15 years until last season when i didn’t renew, this was down to money reasons (goin bankrupt very soon!).

Alot of people are losing homes and jobs amd for some football is a luxury, you have to respect that.

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Rangerman – I think for a lot of people it depend on who they brought in. For instance, if they thought Kinnear deserved another blast. That probably wouldn’t go down well.

It would be a bold move but I would imagine that many potential owners may see fit to involve Shearer.

• magforlife

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

On the point about our fanbase, some chip papers report that we used to have average gates of 9,000 – 13,000, my memory is not what it used to be but i can never recall gates that low with the ground almost full at every game.I was at a midweek full members cup game against Preston with Ian Bogie as our centre forward in the lashing rain and there was a low crowd of about 16,000 but that was good in the circumstances. Its hard to take when sunlin played to half empty stadium last season and survived but its always the fans that suffer. When they quote these figures i wish they would back them up with the years.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I think there is a slight difference between financally supporting Ma and supporting your club. I generally come over twice a year to watch us play but I reckon no one supports the team more than i do and have been doing for near on 30yrs. To be honest up untill Ma put us on ebay lol i thought that deep down he wanted to do the best for our club. but know I truly believe he will ruin our club for a long long time if we dont get new owners in real soon, like yesterday. I know it sounds daft but my family and I will never go into sports direct again as I feel that if I done that Ma would be laughing. in life sometimes enough is enough

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM

magforlife – that Anglo-Italian Cup used to be bad. I remember going to a couple of games – possbily Cagliari or Bari (I might be wrong) and the attendances were possibly below double-figures.

There are a lots of justifiable reasons for people not renewing in the current climate and to be fair, though I’m surprised I’m saying it, I think some of our supporters have just been sickened by it. Nothing to do with the status. Just the fact they’ve been worn down and the soul has been ripped out of the place. So if they’re on the borderline of being able to afford it, they’re now as likely not to as they would have been likely to when we had a bit of respect and good feeling about the club.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM

bowburnmag “I think some of our supporters have just been sickened by it. Nothing to do with the status. Just the fact they’ve been worn down and the soul has been ripped out of the place. So if they’re on the borderline of being able to afford it, they’re now as likely not to as they would have been likely to when we had a bit of respect and good feeling about the club.” spot on mate very wise words

• magforlife

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Forgot about the Anglo Italian cup, told you my memory was poor but these are the games they must be using as proof but nearly all league games are well supported and will be despite whos in charge but i agree that a good few will chuck their season tickets in. I cant and wont criticize them but some previous die hards will take their place, we have been taken for granted for years with many false dawns but we are mostly all daft enough to keep going.

• Danish_Magpie

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Rangerman, see my posts in the “AS left in the lurch by MA” thread..

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Even in the season we all most went down to the old third division, we still normally had around 25,000 from what I remember. My cousin was was assist manager at Charlton at the time and he was really happy with a gate of about 12-15000, when I said thats poor, he said remember that they are a London club. He was right and they had more clubs to batle with, I could see where he was coming from, but my point is, our gates were never really that low and that was one our worst playing times. To be honest, that was one of the seasons I really enjoyed though

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Danish_Magpie I wouldnt let it get to you mate, there is still a few people with the mind set that you have to be a born and breed Geordie to really support the toon. I have had it before but i dont let it get to me anymore, opinions are like a*s holes everybody has one

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Danish & Big Dave, I’m with you there. Yes I live newar Newcastle, South Shields but a lot of my family moved down south in the 40’s but the children and grand children of them still support Newcastle, one even played for us. Doesn’t matter where you come from, if you support them, thats good enough for me. Lets face it, not like people would be glory hunters with us is it

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Really we should be aming for a world wide fan base. And to be honest, we should be proud of the fact that people fom all over want to support our club

• Tino 11

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I agree, i don’t mind anyone who wasn’t born here being a fan, as has already been said you could hardly call them glory hunters!

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM

simon376 – We defo had gates lower than that in the early 90’s. I would reckon season 90/91 we had an average of about 21-22,000. They literally gave tickets away at the time. We could get 27/28,000 for a reasonably big game or 30 for a derby but for some games, particularly mideweek, we got 17s and 18s somtimes.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Tino 11 instead of glory hunters gloom hunters

• Tino 11

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM

BD – ha! yeah maybe we attract a load of masochists and devil worshippers!

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Being from the region doesn’t make you a better fan. Although there’s an old argument, standing in an uncovered paddock in the sleet watching Cambridge Utd lets you shout the odds a bit more than someone who was born and watches a game on the tv in a different country.
    Who cares, really though?

I think the difference with being from the region and not being from the region, is that sometimes (in the tough time) it’s been proved that the fickle nature of supporters means those not from the region might try to wipe the slate clean and support another team. Somebody from the region is more likely to just pack in watching when either they’re bored, it’s stops being fashionable or it doesn’t let them get one over another poor soul supporting a lesser team. And instead will go afternoon shopping and drinking cocktails with their women.

Anybody who has stuck through Newcastle over the years whether they’re from the region or not, is a) loyal b) mental or c) probably both. And b) can be both a pre-requisite and a result of supporting the Mags.

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM

This is just in my experience by the way….

Anyway, I’ve managed to get out of going to an in-laws do so I’m off to enjoy the remaining sunshine with a beer and the dogs.

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Big Dave // Jun 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM

“Danish_Magpie I wouldnt let it get to you mate, there is still a few people with the mind set that you have to be a born and breed Geordie to really support the toon.”

Danish / Big Dave, I’ve supported since I was a bairn in the seventies, and I would say that alot of that anti outsider stuff started with John Hall’s “Geordie Nation” rhetoric in the ‘nineties, which is somewhat ironic for someone who wanted to build a club which was supported around the world.

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Aye, agreed. The ‘Geordie Nation’ blanket was meant to cover any and every fan, even if they didn’t live a stones throw from Barrack Road.

Instead it probably caused more animosity to outsiders and potentially caused insularity in some, even towards fellow Mags born outside of the area.

• bowburnmag

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Reet, definitely going now.

• waddler

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM

A DOSE OF REALISM.
    How many of you feed your kids on burgers?
    When you sit down with your love, do you take any notice of her views on were the money goes?
    Before any of you get really annoyed and tell me its my business, is it, or is it your wifes as well?
    Right you and your wife have happily sat down and decided its ok to blow £500 on a season ticket to watch our beloved Newcastle United.
    Many more who support the Mags have decided their loyalty lies with there Families.
    l hope this has annoyed a lot of you up because that is my intention.
    Now take a look at a club like Barcelona, they are owned by the supporters and no one is excluded financially.
    l bet if said to you lot, right we are going to build a massive 100,000 seater stadium and share it with our friends down the road, both clubs would provide 25% funding and the fee to get in would be £10 a game l would hear a load of s//t about tradition.
    The fact is there are probably 250,000 Geordies who desperately want Newcastle and for that matter probably about the same Sunderland people desperate to win major honours.
    After my heated tiriad, can you not see how ridiculous it is to go down the road of ever more stratification with Man U and Real Madrid paying 100s of millions to secure championships, at the supporers expense.
    Would you not like to stand next to local lads and lasses, supporting the mags or the mackhams and knowing you can put a meal on the table for your family.

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM

The best Newcastle supporter I ever met lived in India. He was one of the first people I met over there. He very poor, but he spent what must have been the best part of a months wages for him on a Toon shirt! I soon as I told him that I was born in Newcastle, he started treating me like some kind of living God, and he just banged on about Newcastle United incessantly!

B*****ks to all this “outsiders don’t understand” rubbish. It’s pathetic.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Workyticket

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:27 PM

workyticket funny enough during the 90s i can remember walking through Belfast and you would have seen atleast 30 – 40 people wearing Toon tops then when the brought the granda collar tops in that rose to about 50. now you would be lucky to see 3-4 and 1 of them would be mine lol. now adays it is manure liverpool chelsea, and just over the last year funny enough everyone is becomeing a man city supporters lol

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Toon_Factor // Jun 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM

“Workyticket

Thank god you have appeared, I tried to sign up to your blog yesterday and I still havnt been given my password via email. Why?”

Hi Toon,

Has it been moved to “spam” folder by your e.mail client? That’s the most common reason that comes up when this happens. I’ll have a look and see if I can sort you out.

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Big Dave, never knew that. I thought it was Manchester United and Liverpool mostly in both parts over there, due to the past connections with the Irish who came over to the other side of the water.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM

No worky it hasnt been moved to the spam folder either. :-/

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Stay tooned ToonFactor. I’m going to check out your membership now.