Shearer Left In The Lurch By Incompetent Ashley

The Newcastle United club must be at its lowest ebb for many a year, as it’s now looking like an ocean liner adrift in the ocean, with nobody at the helm. Or perhaps that’s a drunken sailor at the helm

alan-shearer-34098

Alan Shearer – left in the lurch by Ashley

Mike Ashley has said he wants to have a quick sale, but what does quick mean, these big deals never go through quickly.

If they do it’s probably because enough due diligence wasn’t done, and the buying party could be in for some surprises along the way.

In fact that’s what happened to Ashley when he bough the club, he later found out the club had debts of around £100M. But of course if you don’t do the work up front you deserve everything you get, as was the case with Ashley two years ago.

Newcastle have seen interest from four consortia, but only Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce will know that state of each of the bids, and the five local businessmen bidding yesterday was a complete hoax, as Rick Parkinson turned out to be Sunderland supporter, Richard Parker.

Is that rubbing salt into the wounds, or is that rubbing salt into the wounds.

But we have to be responsible and a lot of this turmoil on Tyneside, is again result of incompetence – complete incompetence.

We’ve got to believe due diligence has started in earnest at the club for at least two of the consortia, and it looks like that’s one headed by Freddy Shepherd, and another mystery one, said to be from a rich banker in South Africa, but we’ll believe the SA one we hear more solid evidence.

Poor Alan Shearer is among those keen to see Ashley sell the club quickly, because he’s been left on th sidelines and in the lurch by Ashley, just a terrible way to treat a former England and Newcastle great – but at least Mike is being consistent.

He didn’t seem to treat Kevin Keegan any better, and amazingly back cockney Dennis Wise over his manager for players – unbelievable  -but that was only a sign of things to come back in September.

The Mail is also reporting that Newcastle have no plans for preseason in place, none at all.

And although there is some initial interest in Nicky Butt and Damien Duff from Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Kevin Nolan from Hull City, there have been no firm offers received for any player.

It could well be that we’ll have to take a few back for training on July 1st, before we can unload them. That’s going to be a little difficult too.

But this is what happens when there’s absolutely no leadership being shown at Newcastle, and we hate to say this, but we expect things to get even worse in the next several weeks, as pre-season approaches in 18 days time.

There has been very little that has been done since we were relegated, other than all the machinations around selling the club.

laurel and hardy 2

With this turmoil at the club we are often reminded of the famous saying of Ollie to Stan, in the many Laurel and Hardy movies of long ago:

“That’s another fine mess you got me into Ollie.”

Those movies were a scream, and we need to replace the two above with real clowns – Ashley and LLambias.

And of course Stan had a local connection. While he was born in his grandparents’ house in June 1890 in the Furness region of Lancashire, England, he grew up in Bishop Auckland, County Durham and his childhood there was a happy one.

He attended school at the King James I Grammar School, Bishop Auckland and The King’s School, Tynemouth, and for a while he also attended Rutherglen Academy.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I’m sure Shearer knows the reason why he hasn’t been given the job and he hasn’t been sat by the phone all week waiting to here from Llambias.

• ginkoh

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I think we need some big protest to save our club from someone you know who.

• waddler

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Look at it another way ED, we are at the beginning of a new adventure which may or may not prove to be another dead end, like Ashley’s ownership.
    In a few weeks everone will be chipper talking up our prospects, even with Fat Freddy the Geordie woman hater on board.

• Edd Case

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I really am confused as to why Shearer hasn’t been given the job.

The only reasonable reason I can think of is that Ashley feels that although Shearer would be his first choice, he doesn’t want to not give the next owner a problem in not having the choice, similarly to his previous position when he first arrived with Fat Sam.

Maybe he’s trying to leave it as a completely new book for whoever takes the club on…new manager, new team etc…?
    Then again, if rumours are true that ALL the first team squad are up for sale, that sort of dispells that theory of mine to a degree because the new owners/manager may well want to keep most of the team – not that many of us would…

Strange, but then this is NUFC, what do we expect? (I hate saying that, it’s awful aint it? To actually poke fun at our own club because it’s been so pathetically managed recently)

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Just had my season ticket renewal through.

£17 a game for adult and child is great value.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

………

It’s pretty obvious that’s why IMO.

• waddler

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

What price undercover NOTW scribbers are planning our downfall right now.

• Alex

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

the journal reckons that there is no one even in the process of due diligence yet . in the article they say that the dead line for any one proving that they have enough funds is tuesday . Does that mean if no one has the funds we are stuck with Ashley and he will take the club off the market . If so , the question has to be will he take us into recivership and totally F##k the club up . ( sorry for the language Ed )

• hitman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

well lads av had enough of sitting here and hoping for some news, so im off on the lash in the toon, knowing my luck we will get major breaking news.

• waddler

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Rangerman that’s wonderful news, Ashley will be proud of you.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Rangerman that’s wonderful news, Ashley will be proud of you.

……..

Which part?

• Edd Case

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Rangerman – whether intentional or not, your, “It’s pretty obvious that’s why IMO” response has a huge hint of arrogance to it.

It’s like youre are deliberately stating that I am in someway shape or form less intelligent than you because you have already thought of this.

In actualy fact, I was merely stating what is seemingly quite logical and the most likely position.

Perhaps I’m reading it wrong, sorry if I am…but perhaps you can seen it from my side too? Especially given the tones of many on here?

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

It is obvious though and I’m gobsmacked that anyone would think it was anything different.

I also think that Shearer is aware that this is the reason why he hasn’t been given the job and fully understands Ashley’s reason for it.

• batty

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

• AndyNUFC

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I’ve got absolutely no idea why people are criticising Ashley for “leaving Shearer in the lurch”.

How can he be doing that? He is selling the dam club!

If he is passing the club on, which does NOT happen overnight, then the new owners may not even want Shearer as manager!

In fact, it would be a waste of time, money, and in a sense disrespectful to the new owners and Shearer to appoint him now.

• Partizan

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Rangerman….I’m sure MA will be proud of you,for your ticket renewal

If i could i would put MA,DL,Rangerman and Stardust in a sanitarium,all 4 in one room with 1 TV and only 1 channel……….SUFC TV 🙂

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

just got my season ticket renewal, have rang club and asked to be moved to leazes corner and told still have to wait til july 1st to see what is available. Christ I still cant give them my cash.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I’ll renew my ticket because I’ll follow my team whatever state they are in and it doesn’t matter if Ashley, Shepherd or McKeag were pulling the strings.

If you’re only interested in going when the club is doing well then that’s your decision.

• Big Dave

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I think if the 2 advanced bids are the 2 that want Big Al as manager it could be that they are well advanced and they have stipulated to Ma that he shouldnt appoint Al as if they appoint him it will get them a lot of support straight away just my theory anyway

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Ditto rangerman, unfortunately there are too many who only want to pay to see a succesful team, then they shout louder than everyone else when things go wrong before jumping ship, but come calmer waters they will be back proclaiming there undying loyalty.

• hitman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM

rangerman you are stardust.lol

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Rangerman – I regret I don’t have the physical opportunity to do the same, mate. Pay no attention to cretenoid criticism of you having a connection with a football club and choosing how to materialise that connection.

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I can remeber standing in the persistant rain in the scoreboard, playing the likes of Oxford, Bristol and sheffield weds, total crowd around 12 – 13000. Thats when my passion was born.

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

*remember*

• Partizan

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Rangerman……Well our team will never be good under MA,but still you’re protecting the fat scum.

Cant you see what he did to us,,what else does he need to do for you to understand that he doesnt deserve any tiny bit of respect from every NORMAL human being.

Maybe he needs to wipe this club from the face of the earth for you to realize that he aint nothing but the devil himself.

• hitman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

tel,i have 4 brothers who are season ticket holders,there not renewin till they no whats happinin at the club.nothin to do with fare weather m8,just common sense

• Partizan

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

KevinHann….That tells me everything about you…….BORN LOSER.

Always satisfied with peanuts.hehehehe

• waddler

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Why do people on this site think Ashley wants to leave this club in a fit state for a new owner to manage, he doesn’t hence no Shearer and the playing staff all up for sale.
    He hates us more than we hate him, got it now!

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I remember when I was a kid at junior school one of the lads there was a big Everton fan and always took the pi55 about how rubbish Newcastle were compared to us, a born and bred Newcastle las supporting Everton because they were successful at the time.

I bumped into this same lad when I went to watch us in Marseille int he Uefa cup, he’d dumped Everton and jumped on the bandwagon when things picked up.

That’s your geordie nation for you, Tel.

You either support the club through thick and thin or you don’t really support the club at all as far as I’m concerned.

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM

partizan , there is no doubt that history will show what a disastrous reign Ashleys was. How he ever made it in business is beyond me, but his history shows that he preys on weak companies and buys them at a fraction of true worth. In newcastles instance he bought a semi succesful club and destroyed it. John hall is as guilty, perhaps he has forgotten that he said he had always been looking to sell but had held on until the right buyer came along, Mike ashley was that man. Well sir John eat your words, and dont go crying to the press about how he ha run the club unto the ground, you are as responsible as him.

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Partizan I prefer what you call a loser to caring the way you do. You know, there are people and people – some smart, some not so much, but we’re still people 🙂

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM

….

I’ve said the club is a mess and he’s made huge mistakes, that doesn’t mean I’ve got to have a go at every decision he makes like not appointing Shearer when I can see his point of view and would do the same in his position.

Not sure what that has to do with me following the club whoever is in charge, I take it you don’t go to games yourself so you’re not in a position to comment if I go or not.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM

…..

So they will go if we get a new owner with loads of money and appoint s Shearer but will wait as they won’t bother if Ashley stays?

That’s about as fair weather as you can get.

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I now live 100 miles from newcastle, and my son is in a similar position as you were at school, most of his mates take the p155 out of him for being a toon fan, they support Manure, arsenal and liverpool, there are a smattering of leeds fans as thats the closest city. His response is just yeah, how many times have you seen them, none? oh well I have. He is black n white thru and thru, the next generation.

• Partizan

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I wouldnt care even if you go and tell MA a bed time story every night,thats your life and your choice.

If you wanna fill up Ashleys pockets,thats again your choice……..but unlike you,I have dignity and balls to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

I’d boycot everything what is connected with Ashley,,that includes not going to any of the games if i had the chance to go.

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Edd Case // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

“I really am confused as to why Shearer hasn’t been given the job.”

Because the new owners may not want him as manager, Edd. They will face more unrest if they sack him, and possibly end up going down the same road as Ashley did with Keegan. They would probably have to settle up Alan’s contract too if they wanted to bring in a more experienced manager. Having a manager who holds so much sway with the fans would not be an appealing prospect for them.

• hitman

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:05 PM

rangerman thats just common sense ya muppet,who in there reet mind will renew at this moment in time.idiot

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM

……..

People who will go and support the club whatever state they are in, or in other words not fair weather fans.

I’m guessing your brothers didn’t go when Gordon McKeag ran the club and jumped on the Keegan bandwagon when the club started going places.

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I wonder how many would leave this blog if rules tolerating a friendly atmosphere in the comments section were to be enforced.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

……..

If you’re happy to support the club only when we’re doing well then good for you, I bet you wish you jumped on another bandwagon back when you decided to jump on ours.