The Tragedy That Is Mike Ashley Running Newcastle

Putting the club up for sale one week after being relegated is probably the worst possible time for any club to be sold.

mike-ashley-1349947c

Ashley – his ownership has been a tragedy for Newcastle club

And that is being proved many times over as it is now 3 weeks since the club was relegated and everything is tied up in the sale of the club,  and absolutely nothing else, let’s repeat that , nothing else is getting done.

We have no manager and even with four consortia said to be interested int ill take at least another month (at least) to get new owners in.

And what Mike Ashley, who is proving more incompetent in business dealings than even we had thought, is planning to do once the players return from their summer break on July 1st, is a complete mystery to everybody, and probably to Mike too.

A Newcastle source said today:

“As far as we know the Profitable Group still haven’t provided proof of funds and we are waiting for that. We are still talking to a number of different groups and the whole thing is ongoing.”

Ashley has said he is prepared to accept the first offer of £100m which is vetted by Seymour Pierce, but with selling the club after it has been relegated he is almost ensuring the club will be in the doldrums for quite a while.

The chances of being promoted from the Championship next season are now rather remote, and in fact the best we can do next season is to ensure our survival in the Championship.

That’s probably a more realistic way to look at things, because we don’t see the current situation changing much at the club until an owner is appointed, and that could still be a month or more.

Books will be written about Ashley’s tenure at Newcastle that will pick apart every bad decision he made, and how he took the club into the Championship with a  £74M squad, after allowing players (Xisco, Gonzalez) to be brought in without the then manager, Kevin Keegan’s knowledge.

Well those two were great last season weren’t they?

What we would like to see is Alan Shearer hired while the sale in ongoing, so he can start to get some work done, but for whatever reason Ashley seems dead against that, even though he still hasn’t given Shearer an answer – good or bad.

Ashley may be good when he’s managing Sports Direct, but he’s worse than incompetent running Newcastle United – he’s proved that many times over – and is still going.

• Ericles

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Ashley should have put the club up for sale with an encumbent manager. That manager should be Alan Shearer. Any prospective buyers would then table a bid for the club knowing Alan was part of the package. Ashley does not think logically like that. Does he think at all? I do not think it is to do with inexperience. It is Ashley showing not just his contempt for Al it is his way of putting down the fans, putting down Newcastle itself, and cocking a snook to football in Britain itself. Who would have thought that NUFC would have to suffer at the whims of a glorified rag and bone barrow boy?

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Nice to see you keep flooding those stories time after time, Ed. Glad I wasted all that time trying to give you something different.

I guess my participation in this blog is pointless beyond the extent of Howay the lads posts.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

And what if any interested party doesn’t want Shearer as manager, Ericles?

We’ve been down this road with Ashley not wanting Allardyce and he ends up being a dead man walking, if they don’t want Shearer the situation will be about 10X worse as he’s unsackable.

• Toon Graeme

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM

KevinHann – back off attacking Ed. He aint gonna comment on what you put up last night. far fetched to say the leased with no credible source or grounds.

Ashley is a bell end and its so obvious he doesnt give two s hits what happens on barrack road.

I nice shearer quote or statement would be appreciated.

The silence is deafening.

The journal did mention a deadline of tuesday night today. Lets hope we have some action this week.

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Toon Graeme – don’t make me laugh, as if this blog has a clean bill of posting only trustworthy, proven source information?

I find it the obligation of a blog runner to produce variety. Yes, my theory is speculative, but it certainly offers a different angle. It doesnt enforce anyone to believe in it. But it also generated quite some discussions during the night, this should tell you something.

• RyanToon

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

kevin. if ya dont like the blog. eff off..simple,,,like you

• Johno Toon

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

• Hugh Jorgan

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Kevin,

Your stuff was good to read and it gave another view, but I did think you were asking Ed not to make a story about it before you put anythig down on here

As for the manager situation, would the logical thing not have been to give Shearer a contract until the end of June then another until the end of July if the sale hasn’t gone through. One month at a time would have done. If the new owners don’t ant him, he mostthey have to pay up is a couple of weeks money. Also keeps things running at the club in the mean time to make a more saleable asset

• Toon_Factor

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Hugh Jorgan

Idiot

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM

simon – I only want to protect my friend. I think it is possible that if he is identified he might have some problems at work. Other than that I have no restraints.

Plus I just talked to him and he decided to go through last night’s discussion. He said he doesn’t know about the theory, but it is well making a point and intriguing.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM

simon376 – And what do you think the fan reaction would be if they gave Shearer the boot? Mass protests similar to we seen when Keegan left that’s what.

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Rangeman, I can see tha side of it as well, but right now with nobody in place we are in a even worse state

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

kevinhann, I personally enjoyed your friends theory although think it is extremely doubtful. As with all blogs and bloggers each is entitled to there opinions and that is fine as long as they do not try to force them upon others. I Doubt we will ever find out what has really gone on. Keep the thoughts and debates going whilst we wait for some positive news which is long overdue. I will still be buying my ticket next season, even though some say I’m mad. At times even i think i am. Keep the faith and one day we will be back, HOWAY THE LADS !

• Edd Case

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

For Christ sake, lets not have this blog being all about KevinBLOODYHann again please.

Until those that actually do know the facts come forward and tell all, which will never happen, we can all make up what we like – the only FACT is that NONE OF US REALLY KNOW.

All we get left is rumour, uncertainty and lies.

This club will be great again, that I believe in.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM

simon376 – You either want Ashley out and are prepared to put up with the unrest until it happens or you want the club to put Shearer in place and start building straight away.

A smooth takeover lasting a few days with Shearer out buying players was never going to happen.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM

It seems KevinHann’s ability to construct a well thought out post has got us the nose of the people who can’t offer much more than “fat t0sser ashley, give sheera the job”

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Rangeman, I’m not saying he should be buying players, if I was Ashley and selling up, I wouldnt be giving any funds away. I just think somebody in to oversee players being sold and sorting out preseason, thats why somebody is needed

• Edd Case

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

In ANY business, whether or not it’s flying high or in the poop, you need a MANAGER – someone to run the day to day issues of the business.

The longer we have no manager, the worse it will get.

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I would be surprised if Shearer isn’t giving out advice behind the scenes still in regards to selling players.

• simon376

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Lets just hope somebody is doing something

• batty

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

kevin hann did u get your info of herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ashley_(businessman)

• batty

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Rangerman // Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

<<<<and me m8

• batty

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

like you say its the price we have to pay if we want ashley oot .just got too wait

• Rangerman

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM

If I was Ashley I’d give anyone interested a deadline to make an offer and if not then take the club off the market, appoint Shearer and work on getting the club back up.

• KevinHann

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I already replied to that question in the previous thread, batty. Yes, I investigated what Ashley had been doing before he bought us in wiki and – surprise – it suggested a serious conflict of interests that fit what I was already writing. A couple sentences are an exact quote.

• Tel

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

just got my season ticket renewal, have rang club and asked to be moved to leazes corner and told still have to wait til july 1st to see what is available. Christ I still cant give them my cash.

• workyticket

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Johno Toon // Jun 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

“has anyone heard any more on the local consortuim of 5 busniess men offering the 150 mil deal? or was it a hoax?”

“Rick Parkinson” was a Mackem WUM called Richard Parker, Johno.

• komfort

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM

i say .. get that fat tosser ashley oot & give sheera the job ..