With the very unusual news this morning – that there may actually be some good news for the Newcastle United club today, in that Alan Shearer looks like being appointed permanent manager, there’s a lot Alan will want to accomplish as soon as he takes the helm.
Alan Shearer – will be charasmatic leader of Newcastle United – great!
Here are some of the things Alan will want to do, and has been stopped from doing for the last 3 weeks, when he is hopefully appointed permanent manager of Newcastle later this week:
- Understand what the likely transfer fund will be and put in bids for some of his targets – like Per Ciljen Sjkelbred, Jermaine Beckford, Brad Orr and Chris Gunter
- Talk to the players he wants to keep and build a team around – Steve Harper, Steven Taylor, Habib Beye, Nicky Butt, and tell them what his plans are for the close season and next season in the Championship – so get those lads right behind him – which will not be hard, they’ll all be very much relieved – like the rest of us – and they could all do with some good news.
- Get a list of discipline points the players are expected to operate under – like actually being on time for training at 10:00 am each day, much like Jose Mourinho did when he took over at Chelsea, and let them know who the boss will be – but most of them will not need to be told that – hint – his initial are AS
- Talk immediately to Sebastien Bassong and see what the lad is thinking. Bassong did intimate that he liked playing for Alan Shearer a lot, and there’s a chance Alan can persuade him to stay – given the club are willing to pay the lad around £2M/year – he’s worth it. If he stays that would be fantastic fillip for the club and for Alan
- Obviously meet with Iain Dowie and Paul Ferris and take one deep sigh of relief – and then go out to have a pint tonight – if indeed it looks like they will be appointed as the permanent team on Thursday or sometime later this week 😀
- Then start the work tomorrow, and start real planning for the pre-season, including getting pre-season games arranged
- Take players Alan wants to keep at the club off the transfer list immediately – those would probably be the two Taylors, Harper, Beye, Bassong, Butt, Duff and one or two others. We don’t know if Alan will want to keep Kevin Nolan, that’s the only real question, since he’ll want to sell most of the others
- Once Alan is officially appointed hold a press conference, hopefully before the weekend, and let Newcastle fans know what his plans are for the club. We cannot wait to hear about that
But after waiting for an agonizing 3 weeks, if the good news does come through, Alan will be ready to throw himself into the job, and get over the frustrations of the last 3 weeks. There’s certainly lots for him to do, and he knows it.
Of course, the man has handled himself with dignity and poise, during what must have been a very difficult time for him, as it looked like Ashley didn’t really know what he was doing and kept proving it.
But we would have expected nothing less from Alan – a real leader and a real gentleman, who will put both a professional and charismatic face onto his home town club. We cannot wait.