Newcastle Finding It Difficult To Move Out Xisco and Others

He’s a 22 year old Spanish lad who has a 5 year contract at a reported £50K/week, and if he moves it’s clear he’ll not get anywhere near those wages – what would you do?

xisco-ghghgth1

Xisco – wants to stay on Tyneside – that’s hardly surprising

That’s the plight Xisco finds himself in at Newcastle, and while hardly being given many chances last season, in what had had to be a tough year for any new player at Newcastle, it seems that Xisco still wants to stay on Tyneside.

That’s hardly surprising from a monetary viewpoint, but the club just cannot afford the lad, and will try to move him out, even if we lose big time on his £5.7M transfer fee from Deportivo.

But Xisco is back playing for Spain in the European Under 21 Championship, and he seems to be more than pleased to playing football again, having had little chance of that last season.

Xisco was interviewed from Gothenburg, Sweden, where Spain are preparing to play England in their next game in the tournament:

“I have nothing to prove to people in Spain,” “But I have to show Newcastle fans what I can do.”

“It has been very hard for me. I never thought my first season in the Premier League would be anything like this.”

Of course it was Xisco’s £5.7M transfer from Deportivo La Coruna last August which caused Kevin Keegan to eventually leave Newcastle – otherwise who knows where we would have ended up in the league.  But it’s not much good thinking about that now, as it will only cause more heart-break for the Newcastle faithful, who have had enough of that already over the last 12 months.

The striker was scouted by Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, who have now both left the club after less than stellar buys over the last 18 months – and we’ll leave it at that.

We should stress that it wasn’t Xisco’s fault the Newcastle club paid so much for him, and give him such a hefty wage, when he was completely untested at the highest levels of football.

And there’s no doubt the youngster has had a torrid first season, but to his credit he has been able to maintain a positive attitude, under terrible circumstances for himself and the club.

Xisco continued:

“I thought I’d made the right decision,” “‘Everyone knew Newcastle was a historic team with great fans, great players and a lot of money. No-one thought Newcastle would go down.”

“There were so many problems. At first it was like a small snowball, then the problems rolled, they got bigger and bigger. When it was time to wake up it was too late. I am sad for everyone because the Newcastle fans are amazing.”

And it seems before he left, then manager Kevin Keegan didn’t have much time for Xisco in the week or so he was still at the club once the Spanish lad arrived:

“We’d say hello, that was about it,” “When Kinnear came in, there was nothing for me,”

“On Monday morning I knew I would not be playing on Saturday. When you train well you expect a chance but there was nothing.”

“There was no communication between us. He never said you’ve trained well or you’ve trained bad or you have to be like this or that.”

“I was very angry. The most important thing is respect. I felt they didn’t care if I trained well or badly. It was, “You train for one or two hours and then go home.”

When Chris Hughton took charge in February Xisco was starting to show good form in the Reserves, but then a toe injury ruled him out for another two months, and of course two months at Newcastle is a very long time, and when he was fit again Alan Shearer was in charge and the club were locked in a dour relegation battle – which we eventually lost with less than gutsy performances.

But the Newcastle club must now offload a number of very highly paid stars – let’s just call them players – before the start of next season on August 8th, or certainly during the transfer window.

Xisco continued:

“I don’t know what I will do,” “They don’t know what they want, what will happen, who is the manager, nothing. I have to wait for a call to see if they want me or if they want me to go on loan.”

“It has been a difficult season and I don’t want to repeat it. I need to play. If I don’t play at Newcastle, then I have to find another team. I am young and two years without playing is bad for me.”

“I don’t want that. I love England and Newcastle is a nice city to live in. I was surprised because I’d heard many legends about England – about the weather, the food and that everything closes at 5pm.”

Spain’s Under 21 manager Juan Ramon Lopez Caro kept faith in Xisco and included him in his squad for the European U21 tournament in Sweden, and after a terrible first season in England the youngster has a good chance to make a name for himself once again. We really hope for him that he takes it, and shows people what he can do.

That will help both him and the Newcastle club, and a goal against England would be good for the lad, who has shown good character while on Tyneside, in extremely trying circumstances.

But Newcastle will find it difficult to move more than Xisco out, with it being hard to believe anybody will want Joey Barton, although he would be a great player to have in the Championship.

We’ll just have to see how this soap opera unfolds again, but it may be terminated rather quickly if a certain Mr. Alan (no nonsense)  Shearer, one of the greatest England and Newcastle strikers ever, gets the manager’s job atNewcastle – then it could be all change for the Newcastle supporters, and we may even get some good news about the club.

Wouldn’t that be a nice change?

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Greetings from a sunny UK Ed.

• Ed Harrison

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM

We had heavy rain here in Raleigh yesterday – all day.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Well, if the club can’t afford him so be it.

He must though have something and enough promise to be included in the Spanish u21 squad – despite the absence of opportunities with us!

If he’s got to go, then he’s got to go and if he gets into the action with Spain, that may prove to be an ideal shop window for him.

I’ve a horrible feeling that he’ll leave us and become a real big star.

Oh well, that’s life.

• ELFER

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM

It’s also very nice weather here in switzerland 😉

Says everything, that we are talking about the weather, doesn’t it? Hope we will hear something good about the takeover and the new manager this week!

• ELFER

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM

fixture list out in 1 hour…nervous.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Thinking about recent history, wasn’t Wise on of the advocates of reducing the wage-bill by introducing a max of £50k pw?

If that is so, then why on earth did he sign Xisco et al with a wage of a reported…… £50k pw?

Perhaps Stardust might be able to clarify that for us?

• Hugh Jorgan

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM

The Championship fixtures are published at 10:00 am this morning.

• ELFER

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hm, 50K are you sure ED? Don’t think so…

• spiderpig

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

feel very sorry for this lad.he is young and not been given a fair chance.he is highly rated and maybe a year under shearer would do him well.he is a lot better than ameobi.

• sirjasontoon

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I think it will be hard to shift loads of our failures (not saying Xisco is a failure not seen enough of him).

Look how many times we tried to off load Shola nobody wanted him so he ended up with a new contract.

The truth is we have had to pay massive wages to attract players to the club..I mean nobody in their right mind would pay Owen what we have paid him.

We are stuck with a first team of overpriced failures that few clubs will want to sign in a hurry.

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

spiderpig // Jun 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Agreed but what exactly has Shola got that most folk can’t see?

• ELFER

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

spiderpig: I remember when ameobi had his great years…he was really outstanding then! I agree that he now is a donkey we must get rid of…but I’d be very careful to compare this two…so far I must say that I didn’t see much that makes me think that Xisco could get a star!

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Time to update on the Journal ….. nothing to get excited about though!

• Stuart79

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Weathers fabulous here.

I would give them all away!

• lesh

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Talking weather’s becoming boring -time for a change?

We’ve a plague of locusts here in Brighton!

Xisco seems to have fired up a decent article in the Torygraph today (yup, I was wearing rubber gloves when accessing it!)

• dannyhunt

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I think Xisco should definitely be given his chance in the championship. there are bigger earners with less promise that need shipping out first!
    give the lad a chance, we’re low on strikers as it is.
    id have him behind Oba, Ranger then Carroll. one more forward signing should be enough fire-power for the season. creative midfielders are more important!

• Ericles

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Do the Spanish Under 21’s pick crap players? I think not. In the Championship we may get something out of the lad. Give him his chance I say. Anyway we may have no choice but to retain him and he does seem keen to stay (and I do not think it is just for the money).

• Toon Graeme

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Morning lads – T minus 35 mins til fixtures – please home match 8th August!!!!!

I think Xisco just confirmed what I thought about him and kinnear. No wonder his confidence looked shattered. Im not using that as an excuse for poor play but if your not getting the physcological boost you need it is gonna have an effect on the way your perform.

I dont think we have seen enough of him yet and bar the wages I think he may do well in the championship.

Im sure people will possible not agree with that.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Lads n Lasses!!
    Have you not noticed how the Majority of the high earners are saying they want to Saty at NUFC. Martins, Barton, Xisco, Duff et al.
    I can reason this up in 2 words!!!

“LOYALTY BONUS”

It might be more fitting to pre-empt that with HUGE!!!

They ask to leave they get nowt, the club sell them against their will, they get a HUGE bung!!

Come on folks, wake up and smell the coffee. None of them really want to play in the Championship if an EPL team comes Knocking!

• ArtyH

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Letting him go could be as bad as not signing Johnson for £4m a couple of years back. Dont make this another bad decision, hes not had a chance, unlike all the other highly paid good for nowts.

• cicero

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

As “reported £50k”. Sorry I can’t see this lad being on £50k per week. Keegan played him a few times and may have brought him through if he’d stayed. It just shows what a tosser Joe Kinnear was not even speaking to the lad. I agree with many of you Spain don’t pick crap and he’ll end up being a good player.

• SBR4EVA

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM

West Brom Away
    That’s a surprise… Not
    Boro would have been better!

• Rangerman

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Perhaps Stardust might be able to clarify that for us?

……

How can anyone clarify it if they don’t even know what he earns?

• reetpetite

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Battle of the premiership giants!!

• Rangerman

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Feel sorry for the lad really and he’s been caught up in the politics with the club, Kinnear’s treatment of him was shocking but it’s no surprise an old school English manager wanting to stick with what he knows, look at how Pardew treated Mascherano.

• chuck

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Hey Ed. Love the changed masthead, looks like we had the same old favorites, can you squeeze Bobby Mitchel in somehow ?
    About Xisco, too bad he is on such big money, he may have been decent alongside Frazier Campbell or Ranger even Martens, if he stays.
    However looks to me there`s going to be a cull based on wages, which means in order to sell and dump the high wage bill we may have to let them go cheap.
    Preparing for a struggle in the lower league due to any new owner having to reorganise the club from top to bottom.
    Still find it hard to believe how the Ashley regime screwed the club up to such an extent and we are still dealing with the chaos and the silence of the Llambias.
    Unbelievable !

• Paul141726

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM

OK-if I’m Xisco I know what I would do. 50K/week and you signed me for 5 years-I’m stayin’. Thank you VERY much Msrs. Wise, Vettere and Jimenez. You guys were dumb enough to sign me for stupid money, I’m taking it and I’ll try (along with my agent) to hold you to it.
    Strange isn’t it-when the club (any club) wants to hold a player to his contract there is much crying on the players behalf that they are being forced to honor it but if the player wants to leave, a club must honor their wishes.
    I hope I’m explaining my thoughts clearly. Basically what I’m trying to say is that the whole situation is a double standard.

• Rodzilla

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I very much doubt Xisco is on anywhere near 50k per week if Bassong is only on 5k.

• Tom_Toon

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:32 PM

#

• Tom_Toon

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:33 PM

High wage = ship him out.

If not, give him a chance.