Shearer Still Tracking Players For Newcastle Promotion Push

A good and positive report in the Shields Gazette this morning on what we had hoped Alan Sheerer was doing, even though he is not yet the permanent manager at Newcastle United.

Alan Shearer _1172892

Alan Shearer – still tracking players for Newcastle

The Gazette this morning reported that Alan Shearer is determined to continue making preparations for the new season, despite still not knowing whether he will be appointed Newcastle’s permanent manager soon, later – or never.

And the good news is that Shearer has already lined up a number of transfer targets he has identified as being the type of players we need to get us out of the Championship at the very first attempt – wouldn’t that be great!.

Shearer was only yesterday linked with QPR trio Damien Delaney, Fitz Hall and Dexter Blackstock, while Rosenborg’s Norwegian youngster Per Celjan Skeljbred, and strikers Fraizer Campbell (Manchester United) and Jermaine Beckford (Leeds United) are also being linked with Newcastle.

And we also think Alan has a deal ready fopr Andy Griffin (Stoke City)  and Brad Orr (Bristol City), two full backs we were so desperately short of last season.

However, the proposed sale of the Newcastle club could delay Alan’s appointment even longer, and if that appointment is not forthcoming before say next Monday – the club will be in deep deep trouble. Something has to give soon on the management front, surely?

We are probably linked with the 3 QPR players, because Iain Dowie knows all about the players from his spell as manager at QPR.

At least someone is looking out for Newcastle’s future, even if he isn’t yet employed by the Newcastle club, but it certainly seems like those at the Tyneside club don’t seem to bothered.

• Elfy_Toon

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM

good news i guess

• Elfy_Toon

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM

that sum1 is lookin out for the toon i meant, makes a change from all the sniping we get. plus if its true we’ll no shearer is serious about this.

• Wigaz

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Ed lets just hope he’s appointed tomorrow and then he can start working on this. Is anybody else just sick of no further movements forward? i am like! It’s getting boring now! Just sort it out then we can start looking forward to next season.

• Elfy_Toon

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM

is there any other players we are being linked with that havent been mentioned here? i no its unlikely we’ll get half of them but its still nice to think about getting them all lol

• Elfy_Toon

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:48 PM

wigaz, hear hear! its about time this club to a another step as its getting annoying be stuck in limbo 🙁

• Partizan

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Such an amazing talent,this player is….hate to see him joining Borusia Dortmund.

• magpie6699

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I guess it shows that Al cares.
    I mean, I assume he’s unpaid by the club at present – and with no guarantee of a permanent appointment?

• LondonToon

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Right, everyone’s had a go at this, but I’m going to put a list of players that I think will go this summer followed by a possible squad for next year:

Enrique £3m – back to Spain
    Bassong £6m – to somewhere in the Prem
    Edgar free transfer
    Coloccini £4m – back to Spain
    Cacapa free transfer
    Gutierrez £4m either Spain or the Prem
    Barton £1m to Bolton
    Owen free transfer
    Viduka free transfer
    Xisco £2m to Spain (shame, although he looked poor on the few glimpses we saw him, he didn’t exactly get a fair crack of the whip)
    Martins £5m to Italy (he says he wants to stay but I just can’t see it)

Then that leaves players like Nolan, Duff and Smith who the club might try to sell due to wages, but I think that’ll be difficult and they will end up staying.

Players such as Ryan Taylor and Ameobi clearly aren’t good enough at Prem level, but they’ll stay and maybe they can do a job in the Championship, although we won’t be holding our breath.

Guthrie I think will stay as he has moved a lot in the last few seasons and is still young – we need him. I doubt Steven Taylor will leave either, for all his faults, he does care and is still England U21 captain – I think he’ll manage the physical side of the Champo quite well.

Hopefully we’ll give Lovenkrands a new contract as he’s OK and seems to care. Could be decent in the Champo.

By those calculations (which I think are fair), we’ll be bringing in around £25m and a hell of a lot off the wage bill. How much of that we’ll be able to spend – we’ll see.

Now, here’s the team I think we could have next season:

Harper

R. Taylor Beye S. Taylor Fox

Guthrie Nolan Gibson Duff

Carroll Lovenkrands

That’s me praying for Darron Gibson from United, who I think would sell for £2-3m and I reckon he could be convinced to join us. While Nolan was poor and I don’t rate him really, he could be that bit of experience that we need (along with Butt, who will no doubt play 35-40 games next season).

Fox at left back is a possibility, but we’ll see. We definitely need to sign someone at left back, and with the possibility of enrique going as well, we would need to sign two. Possibly we could get gunter on loan as well.

What we really need is some youthful exuberance in players like Gibson, Kyle Naughton and maybe Frazier Campbell, but whether we can fend off other suitors and if they would want to come to us is another question.

Beckford is really poor as a footballer, but you can’t argue with the goal record, so maybe he’s worth a punt. Such a shame considering a few years ago we were signing players like Michael Owen (alright it didn’t turn out well) and now fans are getting excited about the prospect of Beckford up front. Fair enough though, after such a shocking season.

On the subject of Ranger, he seems to have a bright future and a lot of confidence, but I think people need to calm down a bit. Banging them in at youth and reserve team level, as well as for the England U19s, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to make it at the top. Michael Chopra, anyone? But saying that, I really hope he gets a chance this season, cos maybe, just maybe, he could be the real deal – all I’m saying is, let’s not expect too much of him.

This is definitely the chance to try things – give the youth players a chance! Players like Vuckic and Ranger – I’m not saying start them every week – but integrate them into the first team squad and give them some playing time. What a bonus it would be if one or two could not only break into the first team, but have an influence on the side also. I’m hopeful of Tamas Kadar – heard good things!

• Tel

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:12 PM

off thread but I’m gutted, blackpool on a tuesday night? was suposed to be a weekend on the p**s. And away first game of the season and the last again. someone somewhere doesnt like us.

• Partizan

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM

London…I think you undervalued some of the players big time

lets make some comparisons

Doyle 6 mill vs Martins 5 mill HMMMM

Naughton 5 mill vs Jonas 4 mill HMMMM

• LondonToon

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM

you really think doyle will go for £6m? alright maybe we can get around 6-8m for Martins but I’m just trying to be realistic. And Jonas I’m afraid maybe will go for a bit more, but Newcastle will need to sell, so they’re not really in a position to get really what they want for them.

In reality I’d say Martins is worth about 7-8m in today’s market, considering his lack of goals and injury record. Gutierrez is probably worht about the same, but I’m doubtful we’ll get that for him. He does play for Argentina though!

• Waddles mullet

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM

£12 million for Milner what a deal.

Still can’t cross the ball!!!!

• Tino 11

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Or score a pen!

• bill

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Selling players will depend on who Shearer wants to keep. It will also depend on who buys the club. If Bill Gates buys it (joke) or someone with similar wealth then the problem does not arise.
    We will only be in a bad situation if the people who buy the club are clones of Mike Ashley or are struggling to buy the club in the first place.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:13 PM

…good finish from Frazier Campbell for U21s there. Definitely still want him. He’s better than Stroller and Beckford put together.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM

…mind you, Stroller would probably only count for about 12% of the Beckford player-combined total there.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Milnerrrrrr!

Spain 0 England 2…….

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM

….”we also think Alan has a deal ready fopr Andy Griffin (Stoke City) and Brad Orr (Bristol City), two full backs we were so desperately short of last season.”

…ohh the irony.

• Alex

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Well Bassong wants away and spurs want him . Shearer wants Gunter a spuds player . That seems to me a no brainer . let him go 6 million plus Gunter . The 6 million could buy us Skeljbred and Delany .

• Tino 11

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Rodz – i think 12% is far too generous!

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM

That would make sense Alex, but I don’t know if I could bear losing him to spuds – can you imagine what bennytoon would be like?! Plus, our players/targets going there really grates on me – I’d sooner get a wad from Arsenal or Man Sh1tty and do some bargaining there.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Tino 🙂 I did actually put 7% down first but changed it coz I felt guilty!

• Tel

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM

C’mon guys, we have done this every window for the past few years, its all groundless rumour and blind speculation, we really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, all we can do is hope we end up with decent owners and a decent manager, be that Alan Shearer or anyone else, I wont be dissapointed if it is alan, and I wont be dissapointed if it isnt. All I ask is commitment, communication and attractive football, something lacking since the days of Sir Bobby. As for owners everyone is against FFS, for allegedly creaming money from the club. All we have are veiled statments from the curent mob, when they have said anything at all. Anyhow, if it is FFS he wont be the owner as he doesnt have the funds and will therefore be answerable to his board and co owners. therefore he cant milk the club. Another room may have burned, but the fire brigade are hopefully on their way, and are expected any day now.

• Tel

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Rodzilla 0.7% would be nearer the mark.

• GatesheadMag

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Xiscos looked tidy tonight, for spain u-21s

• Toon_Factor

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:37 PM

_______________Harper_____________

Beye______S.Taylor_____Edgar______Fox

Lualua_____Skeljbred____Guthrie_____Duff

__________Carroll_____Beckford_______

Good and realistic.

• GatesheadMag

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Has any1 actually seen fox play? yous all mention him but I personally would like griffin back, he gives 100%

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM

…you’re so cruel Tel.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:42 PM

GatesheadMag, to be perfectly honest with you and not bullhit quoting Wikipedia – no, I’ve never seen him play, just read a lot of promising reports on him. I’d agree with you on wanting Griffin back – although it pains me to say it as it’s crap business; he’s another of our many player sales that confused me. But I’d disagree with you about Xisco, I thought he was pretty non-existent tonight.

• hitman

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM

TF.good line line up , a bit young for championship m8, they would get bullied to fk,this a hard league.

• Tel

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM

In my opinion every time I have seen him this season we may as well have played with ten men, he didnt get nicknamed stroller for nothing, having said that and to be fair he did claim to be carrying a hip injury and playing through the pain barrier. And all our managers in the past few years have rated and played him so he must be showing something in training which unfortunately he cant reproduce in competitive football, perhaps the prem was just too much for him and he may flourish in the fizzy pop.

• RyanToon

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM

just watched the under 21s and xisco played! what a joke our club is! if he can play for spain then why not us?!? i would of liked to see him play more for us, he looked decent tonight for 20mins nothing special just decent

• RyanToon

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM

also well done england on winning! cruised it!

• Tom

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Like I said on one of the last article, why would we bother with Griffion or Orr!?

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM

He may well do Tel. I can remember seeing him on his debut at SJP against Chelsea – he came on as a sub and ended up squaring up against, of all people, Dennis Wise!

For at least a couple of years after that he showed amazing promise to me. I really rated him and used to rant on to all my non-NUFC mates about him. He just seemed to hit 24 and go on a downward spiral. I think confidence and regular games was a big issue.

You never know, he could re-gain that talent in the CCC. But I ain’t holding mi breath.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM

hitman

Yeah I suppose so, I see some people posting on here eg Nick D who thinks a team full of 16,17 and 18 year olds will get us promoted! at least mine has got a few experienced players too. Nicky Butt simply cannot start by the way for next year.

• Rodzilla

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Ryan, England and Germany look the top two teams to me. Germany should’ve battered Spain on Monday night. They could’ve had 4 or 5.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Im suprised Enrique didnt play for the spain under 21 more regulary.

• RyanToon

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM

agree there rod, italy looked poor aswell

i fancy a sweden v england tho

• RyanToon