Magpies Already Have Basis For Good Squad

With all the doom and gloom again surrounding the Newcastle club right now, things could pick up rather quickly once we have a manager appointed.

haris-vuckic-123

Haris Vuckic – expected to show for first team next seaosn

That’s because if you look at the squad we should be left with, after unloading those nine players identified as high priority to move out, and then add in some of our outstanding youngsters coming through at the club, it’s not a bad basis at all of a strong squad.

Here’s the basis of the squad for next season that we have in place right now:

Goalkeepers: Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Fraser Forster

Defenders: Habib Beye, Steven Taylor, Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer

Midfielders: Danny Guthrie, Nicky Butt, Damien Duff, Haris Vuckic, Alan Smith, Ryan Taylor, Brad Inman, Kazenga LuaLua, Shane Ferguson

Strikers: Peter Lovenkrands, Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger, Samuel Adjei

We’re not including the 9 players on the imminent transfer list, or our 4 players out of contract at the end of this month. And we think we’ll lose Seb Bassong, but hopefully will get a good fee for the lad, so we can bring in new players, seemingly across the board to add some experience to that group of 20 players.

Looks like we need some decent defenders more than anything else with Coloccini, Enrique, Cacapa and Edgar on their way. Maybe that’s why we are already linked with defenders Brad Orr (Bristol City), Andy Griffin(Stoke), Chris Gunter (Spurs), Fitz Hall (QPR) and Damien Delaney (QPR).

And there’s always a chance the new owners will be able to fund some of our more expensive players like Oba Martins and Kevin Nolan, so they will stay part of the squad, and help us get back to the Premier League at our first attempt – wouldn’t that be something.

Anyway, there may still be some hope for next season, amidst the chaos the club is in right now.

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Batty, My mate just text me and he saw Mike Ashley outside the Strawberry buying some fella a bottle of Broon. What was interesting is the fella was on a camel

• lacedaemonian

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM

My only concern for next season is the financial state of the club and the need for a decent manager. I am actually excited about next season and the new challenge. I was one of those people that suffered because of the success of Newcastle under Keegan. I could never afford a season ticket when I was at school, college or university and only managed to see cup games and the odd league game. I did manage to see some champions league games and went to some away games over the years. I have always followed Newcastle obsessively but just not attended as many games as I would have liked. I was talking to my pal and we both are looking forward to next season and the new challenge. I will try and get to as many games as I can. I was tired of the hype in the Premier League. I was frustrated with the crap players we always seemed to pay over the odds for. I was bored of the teenage kids will low self esteem hounding our forums and boards with half formed insults. None of them knew what football used to be like. I am only 30 and I know there are plenty here who have followed the Toon for longer. But I remember some of the ‘dark days’ as being a lot more enjoyable than the last few seasons. The remember being awestruck by the atmosphere in the Gallowgate corner as a kid and dreamed of one day standing there with all the mad b@stards. I went to away games where some of our lads were so blindly drunk and happy that they still sang even when we losing 4-0. I aint going to accuse any of our fans of being plastic, I just think we have needed this dose of reality. This dose of humility. We remain the best fans in England.

• iffy

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I hope we keep martins he would kill in the coca cola league.

• magforlife

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM

lacedamonian – Your not alone as you say, i was a sixties schoolboy supporter of West Ham but only because of the World Cup Final with Peters, Moore and Hurst but then as a teenager i went to St James with my elder brother and watched the Toon beat Arsenal with a last minute winner by Wyn the leap and i was, and still am, blown away by the sheer hysteria. The true supporters left behind by season ticket commitments and price will return and hopefully the true atmosphere, win or lose, will return with them. A hungry young team will help with all posers and big time charlies hoyed out.

• batty

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Mac // Jun 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

<<<<WAS HE REALEY

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:32 PM

No sorry i have just checked and it was Derek on his donkey

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Look what this team is bloody doin to me. It’s not even 1900hrs and i’ve already drank a bottle of wine.

• ginkoh

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I don’t trust anthing in football now. I really don’t know what will happen with us in the near future. It maybe worse and I think it’ll be.

However we need something to shout for it. And I really hope we’ll get it at last. God bless.

• bowburnmag

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Mac – that made me chuckle.

lacedaemonian – great sentiments. We’re from the same generation and although my absence was through choice (of playing rather than watching on Saturdays), after our first full season in the Premiership, I’m still obsessive and get to as many games as I can. I share those sentiments. If I finally pack in playing this year, I’ll be saving my pennies for some away days for definite. I think it’s going to be class.

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:09 PM

bowburnmag,
    I agree i really am looking forward to next season. I am an exciled Geordie living in Liverpool so I will be going to an awful lot of away games and gettin in a fair few home games when i go home to see family.

• newcastle29

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM

mac.

i will be too. i’m just 45 mins up the m6 from you and i will be looking foward to going to likes of blackpool and preston ect. ect.

• Tino 11

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM

newcastle29 – did you check the date on that article!

• newcastle29

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Moubarak Boussoufa. we were in for him a year ago and he the type of player we could do with now.

• komfort

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:55 PM

29, tell the truth ya missed the date haha

• newcastle29

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM

aye komfort i did,but it was on another forum and did’nt check the link. lol

the kid who posted it is getting some sh1t now.

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Newcastle 29.
    Yeah i am looking forward to it. Preston,Blackpool Nottingham Forrest and the Sheffield games are definately on my radar. Aswell as a few more who knows we might get Manchester united ,Everton or Liverpool in the cups.

• Toon_Factor

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I WANT PETER RAMAGE BACK!!!

• komfort

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

we all have our moments..haha

• newcastle29

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

aye mac that would be good.

• newcastle29

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM

hey komfort did you catch my post?

i used to do work for komfort! is it really your uncles or are you taking the piss?

• komfort

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM

piss mate..soz , i just distribute for them.

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Lets set up a supporters club for exciled Geordies living away from their homeland

• batty

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

KOMFORT me lads just got back from cattrick .he,s been on the fireing range today marking the cards a new lad jus joined his squadron a mackem so when it come to giving the mackems score he marked it 10 les so the lad had to do 100 press up then a 6 k run for not getting enough points lol

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM

You have a very good point there TF. I can remember when our defence went from reliably sh1te to reliable a couple of seasons back when S Taylor and Ramage played together as part of a back 4. BOTH of them switched from CB to FB between games and if I’m not mistaken (can’t be arsed checking wiki) we kept a much better back line when those two played together. They had a great understanding.

…apparently he’s a really sound bloke as well (Ramage). I’d take him back.

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM

…and before anyone says “Ramage is sh1te”, I thought Collocini was absolutely amazing.

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM

…a bargain at 10m – makes me fkn sick

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:51 PM

…evening ladies BTW

• komfort

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

the perils of being a mackem batty .. haha

• komfort

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM

evening rod..

• batty

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM

ROD a love me saturday morning m8 checking the blog to see if u have fallin oot with yourself u have me in stitches so divent let me down

• batty

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

komfort // Jun 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

the perils of being a mackem batty .. haha
    <<< aye m8 theres 3 geordies in me lads squadron oot of 30 so he,s ok

• bowburnmag

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM

We might have still gone down with Rambo Ramage but you can bet your behind, he would have gone down fighting and made us feel just that little bit better about things.

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Batty —24, good on ye lad! 😀

• batty

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM

a canit wait for wor freddy to take over

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

aye Batty, WEY!

I’m planning on not having a fight with mesel the neet, but a fridge full of scrumpy may have a different view.

….won a treble the day tho Bats, anli a tenner at 15/2 like – U21 treble on Inglin/Jormini/Eye-Ties.

…a hope ye havint given that 2k back te the bookies yet mate anyway!

• bowburnmag

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I’m away to watch the end of a film but guaranteed I’ll be back on here before I go to bed just to read Rod’s convo with himself.
    Pure comedy gold. You couldn’t write it.
    Well obviously you can because he did.
    But he should be getting paid for some of the sh*t he comes out with.

I bow down to your satirical genius, Sir Rod of The Funnies.

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM

..aye Bowburn, we so needed players like Ramage. Too many fkn ‘Tin Man’ players at the club for so long. That’s one of the main reasons I want Al as manager – he can read people VERY well, which is a major quality when assembling a squad. It’s as much psychology as tactics in my eyes.

• Rodzilla

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Bowburn 37, cheers mate 😀

• Mac

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Too much wine. I am now blind in my left eye