While we all struggle to pinpoint any new news in the Newcastle sale saga, there is some evidence today that good progress behind the scenes, has been made with Newcastle this week.
Ashley – attending Ascot next two days – will he wear Newcastle strip?
Both Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias are expected to be at Royal Ascot over the next two days, which would seem to suggest no immediate announcement on the Newcastle manager will be made and we understand Shearer has not spoken to Llambias and Ashley for several days now, and that the relationship between Shearer and Ashley is not good – but what’s news.
From a pure Newcastle viewpoint, Shearer will be annoyed at how shabbily Ashley is and has treat the club over this last year, and it gives us a good insight now into what Kevin Keegan , who may re-emerge as Southampton manager imminently, had to go through last summer.
According to Keith Harris, Chairman of Seymour Pierce investment bank, who has been charged with selling Newcastle, at the second attempt, significant progress has been made this week with four groups already said to be well into the due diligence phase.
The internet data room, where information is available on the Newcastle financial accounts, was opened on Wednesday.
A source close to the deal told the Newcastle Journal today:
“We remain very optimistic that a takeover will be agreed by the end of this month.”
“Two of the bidders have already shown they are very serious about doing a deal and possibly three of them will make an offer to Mike Ashley.”
All groups have signed a non-disclosure agreement, which says they will not reveal anything about what they learn through looking at the Newcastle books, and will also not reveal their identities until after the deal is done.
News today that the Newcastle Journal believes the group headed up by Freddy Shepherd at Newcastle, still has to prove they have the the funds available to buy Newcastle.
But that is at odds with what we were told earlier this week, that groups were only allowed to pursue due diligence, if they first proved they had the funds available.
There remains very little new news on what’s really happening at the club, although we are seeing players like Sebastien Bassong want to get out of “mad” Newcastle at their very earliest opportunity.
Seb yesterday openly admitted he in talks with two Premier League clubs, thought to be Arsenal and Tottenham, but isn’t that only possible after a fee has been agreed between the clubs?
It should be, but it looks like anything goes at Newcastle right now, and the club seems to be in a complete mess, at least from the outside, but perception is usually reality.