Not Much New News On Newcastle Today

There’s not much real news at all about Newcastle United in the Sunday papers this morning.

joe-kinnear-2310

Joe Kinnear – spills beans on Newcastle in new book – what new book?

Here’s a sprinkling of some of the less than exciting news today.

There’s a story in the Sunday Sun that says an update to Joe Kinnear’s autobiography is said to be due out ion August 3rd. And they talk about how he could spill the beans on what really went on at Newcastle – such juicy stuff.

But then they interview a spokeswoman for publishers Carlton Books last night who dismissed the news as untrue:

“I’m afraid that because of Joe’s ill-health we are not publishing this anytime time soon,”

Some story.

If  Joe hadn’t had his heart scare we feel sure we would not have been relegated last season.

And the news about Michael Owen and that he was about to sign a long term deal at Newcastle just before Kevin walked out again on the club. We’re sure that was close since Kevin wanted Owen on a long term deal. And of course news that Kevin Keegan may return as manager of Southampton, and he would want  £20M to ensure promotion.

We think most managers who were given £20M for a League One team could get them promoted.  That’s a lot of money for a League One side, who are still suffering financial stress.

If Kevin does take over it will be great for the South Coast side, which has a very good following down there, but the question that will hang like a black cloud over St. Marys Stadium, will be when Kevin will walk out.

That’s not an “if”  and it’s not meant to be a slam against Keegan, it’s simply based on his previous history.  But the longer he gets to stay there, the better it will be for the Southampton club – no doubt about that. That’s if he takes the job of course.

And it really doesn’t look too good for Michael Owen right now, and it shows with teams like Hull City after him, with even Wigan no longer interested, and seemingly the top six not much interested, although Everton may still step in.

And what was that all about with Michael arriving at Royal Ascot last week in a horse-drawn carriage – we suppose we’ve been living away from England too long, but it looks like the class system is still in full swing.

We have no idea why he would do that, but my wife and I will be back in England in July, after first spending a week in Paris.

The only news the majority of  Newcastle fans are waiting for, and we have a good feeling it will come through within the next 10 days at most, is the identity of the new Newcastle owners, and the new manager.

Then we can ll start looking forward to the new season, which starts in a very short 6 weeks come next Saturday.

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM

ASHLEY has done more damage to this club than any 1 could of ever imagined

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Actually I feel just a little bit of sympathy for Ashley, I doubt in his worst nightmares he would have envisaged the scenario that has unfolded around him. I bet he would love to turn the clock back a couple of years knowing what he does now. I understand he is fairly bitter about the way fans have treated him but he is the one who has made some bad decisions and has to live with them.

• boater

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Batty… what rose tinted utopian geordie-nation of football fantasy do you foresee under new ownership and big Al in the near future? I’m curious…

• ginkoh

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Same old feeling again, As anyone said before ” No news is bad news for Newcastle”

And it’s the most damm good work from Mike Ashley and co. As Tottenham suppporter to destroy the rival club Good job Mike !

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM

No offence Ed, but that has to be your most un-inspiring headline yet. Mind you, I still read the story 🙂

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Not sure if this is good news or bad news on Frazier Campbell:

I.E. He could end up staying at manure. I really rate him anyway and would rather have him than Beckford.

• Ross

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Rod-agreed, i’d welcome Campbell with open arms!

^^ Dunno if that is maybe indirectly also an indication? quite sure Hull were dead set on signing campbell. Why they would give up on him and go for Owen i dont know though!

I dunno about anyone else but i can just see him ending up somewhere like that. It would serve him right to be honest, leave without helping or saying anything, only to end up at a club that finished a single point better off than us.

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:26 PM

bloater its the truth u numptey

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM

BLOATER take your rose tinted i love ashley glasses off u mug

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Bill F how can u feel sympathy for that mug ashley m8 he,s single handedly wrecked our club

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Even so I cannot believe that that was his intention cos that would be such a stupid thing to do. I see it that he lost control of the beast and could not cope with the subsequent results.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Yeah Ross, I’d like to think their Owen interest is backup if they lose out on Campbell, but Phil Brown is a complete and utter tool and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’d prefer Owen to Campbell. It’d be a very good bit of business for us to fill Owen’s boots with FC, but I’m too used to being underwhelmed and disappointed with all things TOON, so I ain’t counting any chickens.

Something HAS to happen next week. The U21 tournament finishes a week on Monday too (when FC will make a decision on his future). I just hope we have bloody manager by then. If it’s Chris Hughton coz we’re still not sold, then I think I’ll become a monk.

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Bill F // Jun 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

<<<< aye i agree bill but its still down to him m8

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Rodzilla, any particular order in mind. 😉

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Bill, Trappist I reckon. They brew good beer too I hear. 🙂

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Batty, I’m not disagreeing with you mate, but I would bet he is just as frustrated and upset with the way things have turned out. We may not like what he has done but I do not think he is the arch demon he is portrayed as by many people.

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Rodzilla, good choice, theres also the lot who brew that Buckfast (or something like that)wine popular with alcoholics. I reckon a lot of us could be heading that way if the fiasco continues much longer. 🙂

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Bill, as much as I’m pi55ed off with Ashley for messing the club up good and proper, I do see where you’re coming from. I honestly think he TRIED to do what he thought best – just what HE thought best was far from it. His failure to listen to the right people has cost him dear. He’s made bad decisions on bad advice. Also, I know Chris Mort wasn’t a ‘footballing brain’, but had he stayed I reckon we’d still be in the Premiership.

• Mag 48

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Not only has overseen our relegation.He has’nt done much for the people who worked for him.Keegan Wise Kinnear and Houghton have come out of it with their names blackened and all know a lot more about football than him.

• Big Dave

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Well atleast he will go down in history not for anything good but the favt that he destroyed our club and that isnt a good thing to live with. he should think about getting a bath with a bottle of gin and a razor blade. lol.
    we love you freddie we do
    we love you freddie we do

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Dave, do you reckon FFS is one of the alleged “two bids accepted” then? One of them is meant to be a NE consortium. I understand that it’s so confidential even MA doesn’t know who their identities yet. Cue conspiracy theorists………

I know it’s from NotW, and the infamous “source”.

• toonoholic

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Phil brown has lost it . I would be more than happy to see the tigers come where they deserve to be next season !

• toonoholic

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Rodzilla, in tribal football they talk over selling of their ma’s if they have no news.

HORRIBLE SOURCE

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Toon, they sourced it from NotW. I know they ain’t much better though. I’m just clutching at any sniff of a story I can find ATM – although I’m not gullible, and take everything I read about NUFC with a massive fistfull of salt.

• Big Dave

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Rod how were your cakes the othernight mate ?. I just wish we will know something this week as the silence is killing me. im off to get a good old Ulster fry for Dads day be back soon

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Sh1t, well reminded Dave! I better ring him up now – although he’ll probably be in “chorch” as he affectionately calls it. Oh, and the butter is now set in my fridge Dave, cooking them today.

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Big Dave // Jun 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

we love you freddie we do
    we love you freddie we do
    oh freddy we love you

• JJJ

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Not suer how many of you have been watching the ConFed Cup in South Africa.

But two players Ive always rated from South Africa proved their quality against Spain and both would be available for dirt cheap… and neither would be in the African Cup of Nations next year because South Africa didnt qualify…

1 Itumeleng Khune – plays in goal for Chiefs and won their player of the year award.
    He is 21 years old and has looked superb since his arrival on the scene.
    He is not the biggest in size but always looks assured when collecting from corners and has gained a reputation as a penalty saver… but for me his biggest strength is his ability to read the game and his brilliant distribution…

2 Bernard Parker – plays in Russia now after playing for my home town team Benoni Premier United here in RSA. He plays as an attacking midfielder or second striker and has great pace and finishing ability. He is also more than decent at holding the ball up and threading through the odd assist. At 23 years old a decent buy and he would be quite cheap.

4 Tsepo Masilela – a fantastic pacey attacking left sided wing back who has such stamina you’d think hes a left winger but he always gets back and does his defensive duties as well. Very good player and as he currently plays in Israel he would come quite cheap.
    He has set up both South Africas goals in the ConFed Cup this year already and is still improving at just 24 years of age.

4 There are a number of Egyptian players that stand out too, but the problem is although unknown to Europe… these players play in the Arab countries and are on huge wages.

• bill

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Unlike the other Bill I have absolutely no sympathy for Mike Ashley.

He is a chancer that has gained his money through exploiting people in Asia who work like slaves so that he can sell his rubbish sports gear at a huge profit in the UK and elsewhere.

As for as his time at Newcastle, it has been a total disaster culminating in our ultimate demise from the Premiere League and becoming a laughing stock throughout the football world.

He has blundered his way through two seasons with one disaster followed by another. As others have said, you couldn’t do a better job of ruining a football club if that was your actual aim in life.

• bill

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Regarding the sale of playing staff at the moment, I’m not sure if this is possible with 2-4 potential buyers going through the accounts. No doubt the players themselves will be on the asset list (transfer fee) and their wages will be on the debit list. If a player is sold during this period the company buying the club would be buying something other than what they have bid for.

On another topic, has anyone at Newcastle given Bassong permission to speak to other clubs?

It seems to me that if they have not then the player and clubs involved are breaking FA rules.

• Big Dave

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Bill As others have said, you couldn’t do a better job of ruining a football club if that was your actual aim in life. Maybe large loaf had a bet with his mate at spuds that he could take us down

• Big Dave

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Bill all player transfers are put on hold while the club is for sale. maybe they can talk to other clubs but no sale yet. but then you wouldnt know what was going on with our club under FMA

• JJJ

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM

A brochure distributed by his representatives to eight Premier League clubs claims Owen – now a free agent – was “days away” from signing a new long-term contract at St James’s Park when Keegan quit last September.

The brochure says: “Michael has never been unsettled at Newcastle and never said he wanted to leave.

“Indeed his period under Kevin Keegan in 2008 was one of his happiest and most productive spells in football and he was within days of signing a contract which would have kept him at St James’s Park for the rest of his career when Keegan left the club abruptly.

“His {Owen’s} belief in the potential management capabilities of his long-time friend Alan Shearer meant that he would probably have taken up the offer on the table to extend his contract at St James’s Park had the club stayed in the top flight.”

Well, if this is true, then all I can say is thank goodness we got relegated!!!!!

• Bill F

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Hi Other Bill, I must admit I had forgotten his connection with Nike and the sweat factories in Asia, so perhaps he is an arch demon after all. I still do not believe he has deliberately set out to destroy our team. I think he wanted an expensive toy from which he might earn some extra money and kudos and made to many bad decisions and took too much bad advice and is reaping what he has sown. Also it might be a bad fault of mine but I always try to see some good in everyone.

• batty

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:14 PM

BILL F i dont think he,s done it on purpose m8 but 1 thing i do think is ashley thought he was gettin the club on the cheap when he brought it m8 and its back fired on him big time

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM

…..”forgotten his connection with Nike and the sweat factories in Asia, so perhaps he is an arch demon after all”

hahaha 😀 …and he would’ve gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for those pesky kits.

….”always try to see some good in everyone.”

…same here mate, although I do struggle with MA. I’m fairly sure he never obliterated our club on purpose – but that’s about it. I dislike the Llambias far more, mainly for his ignorance.

• Big Dave

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Lads I agree 100% he didnt set out to f*k things up but he should have learnt from his mistakes but he didnt he just kept making more of them the silly silly boy

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Batty, ye fancy Brazil against the Eye-ties at 5/4 later? It’s on BBC3. I might go for over 2.5 at 11/10. Hmm, decisions decisions. Couldn’t believe Spain were 8/11 against SA yesterday – hoyed fawaty quid on it.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

…how was ye fry up Dave?

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM

JJJ, sorry mate, yeah I thought SA’s keeper looked class. He kept the scoreline ‘modest’.