Michael Owen – Shearer Is Going To Be A Top Manager

alan shearer -390180750

Alan Shearer – Owen thinks he has the makings of top manager

Michael, who is busy trying to fix himself up with a Premier League club, told Sky Sports News this morning:

“I would like to think that Alan would be given the job.” “He is obviously a new manager learning his trade.”

“But you have got to start somewhere and the indications from what I saw of him, he is going to be a top manager in the years to come.”

“He is obviously Newcastle through and through, and that’s important to the people of Newcastle.” “It’s a club that not many people would understand, I would suggest, but he certainly understands it.”

“He has certainly got the right credentials and I can’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be given the manager’s job.”

Good words from Michael, and he must now be about the 129th person associated with the Newcastle club, to say Alan should be given the Newcastle manager job.

While owner Ashley has ignored all these positive comments over Alan’s potential appointment, we don’t think these will have gone unnoticed by the potential new owners.

We’re still waiting for some good news on the new owner, and it is now a week ago that Derek LLambias said that if all four consortia wanted Alan as manager, he could be appointed soon, and as early as last Thursday.

That was a week ago, and we were told all potential new owners want Alan as new manager, so why no appointment?

• tooneskimo

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Cue Owen bashing….

• Stardust

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM

The most worrying words for me in that interview are “It’s a club that not many people would understand”

Thats aimed directly at the fanbase. We often talk about unrealistic, xenophobia, demanding, witch hunting and the Mob.

There you go – even the players dont understand it. Time for those who call themselves fans to look in the mirror.

• batty

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM

shamrock rovers have a freindley against real madrid and we were moaning aboot it

• Toon Graeme

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Stardust – dont read too much into what Owen says.

He has hardly been the ambassador for NUFC during his tenure has he.

I take it you are again swiping at the fan base for NUFC’s demise?

• Stardust

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Just commenting on a quote by a player Graeme – no swipes – just observations.

• shrews mag

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I do not see this as a dig at nufc or us … I think he is talking about the passion for the club and this being a 1 club city.

Don’t read things into this innocent comment that are not there.

But … I still think he’s been a complete waste of money … and couldn’t give a monkeys where he ends up … as long as its not resigning for AS

• Micky Toon

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Owen is good mates with Shearer, so he’s bound to give his mate a good reference.
    Saying that I actually agree with what he is saying.

• Whumpie

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I understand the reservations some people have about Shearer, which are either based around his lack of experience or the results he got at the end of last season.

BUT we have tried experienced managers and got nothing. And why did they fail?

– Not understanding the club or community
    – Seen as an outsider by some (especially the fans)
    – Lack of respect and/or credibility
    – Failed to live up to unrealistic expectations based on previous management credentials
    – Prone to spin/BS/avoiding the subject rather than talking straight or facing issues head-on.
    – Not understanding the type of football required.
    – One-dimensional tactics/lack of willingness to try different approaches.
    – Refusal to take advice or input from others.

What we have in Shearer is a man who will never fall prey to any of these things, and we should be delighted that he’s (reportedly) so keen to take this huge task on.

• Ericles

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Well said Whumpie. I think Stardust wears council house trousers – no ballroom! I do not care what Michael says or thinks. If he thinks his agent talking to Hull is a career enhancing move then he is a muppet. If he is so enamoured of Al as a manager for now and the future why is the little shite jumping ship?

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM

OWEN does not give a damn about the Toon, he is one of them that doesnt understand the club.

Owen has never been outspoken as a captain or an ambasador for the club, so why start now MO?

OK, so he hasnt taken a swipe at the club (yet) but I feel he has insulted us by the way he has handled himself this past year.

I agree with Ericles he says he wants to stay in the top division, but to be honest, for us, he has NEVER been a top division player. OBA is twice the player and Man that MO is, he is one of the few that actually give a damn about the club, MO used us for a fast buck!

Good bye and good ridence, oh and I hope Hull are going to draft in some extra medical staff should they take him on!!!

So, come Tuesday, our wage bill will be slashed by a reported £40m, thats good, now we need AS in ASAP to get rid of some more dead-wood and bring in some players who want to play for us!

• sirjasontoon

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Owen is Plop.
    I have no interest in what he has to say.

• Johno Toon

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM

40 million nufc 0809? dont think its that much

• stk85

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM

defend what ahleys playing at now eh stardust?!

• Sav

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Yawn. He’s already yesterday’s news and the idea of Shearer producing a brochure to say how good he was is unthinkable – look at the goals, look at the stats. Its not as if footballers don’t get enough publicity and coverage so they have to print their own. Its a joke.

“He is obviously a new manager learning his trade.”

“But you have got to start somewhere” – cheeky beggar.

As for the rest, I think its Sawdust who mostly speaks about xenophobic, unrealistic, demanding mobs. Most of the rest of us aren’t so needy to be better than the rest. Its only football after all but I still would be wary of picking Owen as an ally – he has humiliated himself and its looking like Hull and Phil Brown may be the only game in town. Fnaarrr, fnaarrrr!

• Mag 48

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM

He needs to make comments to whoever to keep himself in the shop window.No one is getting trampled in the rush.

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Has anyone wathed the video of the little weezel on Sky Sports, Squirm you little $hit!

• Stardust

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM

STK – I would never – could never – will never – defend a yellow strip lol.

As for the sale and my view on Ashley – actions and consequence is being played out in front of you.

• Whumpie

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM

What I don’t like is the papers having headlines like “Owen to quit Newcastle”.

He’s not quitting – he’s nowt to do with us by default, and he’s said himself that there is no offer on the table for him.

For me, although his strike rate was pretty decent overall, it’s his total lack of leadership and silent exit after the relegation which will always sting.

I don’t think he’s a bad bloke and let’s face it, better him than a Barton who drags us through the mud. But we’re a passion-based club with a lousy injury record, which has got to be the worst possible match for MO.

• Mag 48

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Stardust
    If the players don’t understand the fans Why do so many state on signing for the toon that the fans and thier support was what attracted them.We all know a lot of them talk crap but a lot of our greats have said the same thing.

• Stardust

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Platitudes thats all Mag – you can hardly sign for a club and say the fans nearly put you off lol.

To be fair I am not saying that all our fans sully our reputation. I always say that the fans are our biggest strength and weakness.

I am saying though that a significant chunk are loud enough to be heard and damage us.

• Ben_BKK

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM

“Michael Owen, whose contract runs out next Tuesday at Newcastle United, is th altest person associated with newcastle to call for Sheraer to be given the nmabhgfer job at newcatsle.”

It’s a good thing I knew what you were talking about Ed, or else I’d have never been able to understand that 😛

• lesh

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Stardust, your comment that the comments are aimed directly at the fanbase…….. We often talk about unrealistic, xenophobia, demanding, witch hunting and the Mob.

But Stardust, you attend SJP and that therefore makes you one of the unrealistic, xenophobic, demanding, witch hunting Mob?

Think before you let your bigoted tongue loose!

• Stardust

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Lesh – I have always said we failed as a collective this season – irrespective of my personal views.

Your comment was misplaced as usual – kneejerk sir?.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

The Little Waster didn’t say any of this. It was, as he says, his “Advishors”. Who gives a toss about what he has to say anyway?

• Pons Aelius

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I’ve no hard feelings against Owen. He’s never said a bad word about this club, even though it has been run by a bunch of halfwits almost the entire time he was here.

He has said he was days away from re-signing if Keegan had stayed and would have stayed if we had stayed in the Premiership under Shearer. On top of that despite all the doubters he honoured his contract like he always said he would.

It’s just sad that he was always injured. Owen is a world class forward and will always score goals. I agree he has not justified his price tag but his goals to starts ratio stands up with the best of them. I’ve no doubt if he can stay fit he’ll do well elsewhere.

I wish him luck.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:05 PM

A keen helicopter pilot, Owen used to fly himself to training but was banned from doing so by Joe Kinnear after Joey Barton cut Jose Enrique’s head clean off while landing his chopper last season.

• Isaac Hunt

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Stop press: Man wakes from coma, expects Owen to play for England!