The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ferguson Signs New Deal

1:49 am, Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 by Neil Harrison · 10 Comments

One of our more promising youngsters, 17-year-old Shane Ferguson, has signed a new three year deal to stay with Newcastle. This is some very good news, though it was expected.

shane ferguson
Shane Ferguson-A future first teamer

Ferguson, who has already made his senior debut for Northern Ireland, is one of the gems in our youth system. The fact that we are able to retain these promising youngsters (Nile Ranger signed on for three years earlier this season) speaks well of the potential of this club.

Shane Ferguson was quoted as saying of his new deal,

“Obviously I’m delighted everything is now sorted out in regards my future,”

I played for the Reserves a few times last season and trained with the First team towards the end of last season, so I’ll be working hard and hoping to push my way into the both the Reserve and First teams.

To be honest it wasn’t a hard decision for me to stay at Newcastle because we are a big club and although we got relegated to the Championships, I feel the younger players like myself may get a chance because we got relegated.”

Leave it to the optimism of youth to find a silver lining in being relegated from the best league in the world. To be honest though, Shane is exactly right. Relegation does leave our youngsters with a golden opportunity to play a role in our fate next season.

The fans of Newcastle can only be brimming with pride at the attitude and loyalty of players like Shane Ferguson and Nile Ranger. Our youngsters are our future, but they may also play a big role in deciding our future as well.

Tags: Newcastle Youth

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Eaststander // Jul 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Hopefully the start of the good news. come on press conference tomorrow.

• 2 Eaststander // Jul 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Thats me being hopeful by the way there is no press anything yet but lets keep our fingers crossed.

• 3 baro // Jul 8, 2009 at 3:12 AM

I think this is where the good news starts.
    Wonder where it will end…………………….
    I also thought he had already signed a 3 year deal

• 4 Brisvegas // Jul 8, 2009 at 4:45 AM

These Malaysians are actually Indians, I’ve been told from a friend on the sub-continent. Not that he’s got any special knowledge, just some gossip in financial circles over there apparently.

If nothing else it adds to the intrigue.

• 5 Sav // Jul 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM

Great to see these youngsters signing on for us despite our circumstances.
    Just as long as the same idiot who decided we’d pay blokes like Barton and Smith 65,000 every week and ten times that for their annual image rights didn’t have any hand in it. Good lad, Shane.

• 6 ginkoh // Jul 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM

If some of our first team have attitude just half of our younger got, We’ll never be like this.

• 7 tooneskimo // Jul 8, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Is today the day ? ? ?
    probably not…….
    Like the attitude of some of these kids, let’s hope they don’t get their noses pushed out of the trough by NUFC of going back to their old habits of shopping in the bargin bins of ex-Internationals, who are looking for a nice retirement package.
    O.k, I’m off to work…ta-ta.

• 8 Rangerman // Jul 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Great to see these youngsters signing on for us despite our circumstances.

….

Not sure why Shepherd would have a hand in it?

• 9 Toonmania // Jul 8, 2009 at 7:10 AM

is it me or does that kid look about 12 ???

• 10 bowburnmag // Jul 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Toonmania – you beat me to it.

Looks a bit fragile.

Probably a great player like but I’ve never seen him to be able to say either way.

previous post: Player’s Revolt is Nonsense-Hopefully