Alan Smith Steps Forward As Leader On Tyneside

In these very difficult times forced on the Newcastle club, seemingly at will by owner Mike Ashley, we need some leaders to step forward at the club.

alan-smith-_ap

Alan Smith – steps forward as a leader on Tyneside

But some of those like Habib Beye and Nicky Butt, seem to have had enough and are both looking at how to escape the Newcastle United prison that Ashley has created.

But Alan Smith is stepping forward today, and says the players must remain focused on the task in hand, which, is promotion at the first attempt next season.

That’s unless Ashley can further destroy the club, before September rolls around of course.

Smith told the Evening Chronicle today:

“There are plenty of distractions, but for us, our minds are on West Brom and the first game of the Championship season.”

“We know we can’t control the outside influences one little bit.” “We’re not going to use it as an excuse as players.”

“The players in the dressing room are good enough to have a real good go at getting us back into the Premier League.”

Tomorrow’s game with the Scottish side Dundee United, will be the last pre-season friendly, but Smith is expecting it to be difficult as he continued:

“It’ll be a difficult game.” “I think every game has been a build-up, really.”

“I think their season starts the same day as our’s, so I think they’ll be ready for a strong game against good opposition.”

“We’re looking forward to it, and hopefully we can build and build on Leeds, which was a good team performance, with commitment, and some good football.”

“The sharpness and continuity will come. It’s all a progression, really.”

Good words from Alan and we certainly need players who are willing to stay at Newcastle, to step up right now to help the club move forward.

• Nick D

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Ed – didn’t we just do this one to death. Very few people wanted Smith at the club, let alone as captain. What difference does a day make?

Alan Smith Should Be Toon Skipper
    July 31st, 2009 · 69 Comments

NO HE SHOULDN’T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ian

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Our future that Alan Smith gets back to his winning ways and finds the net and Nile Ranger is the next Georgie Best or Maradonna, that Jonas starts scoring when he hasnt scored all of his career and so on.

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM

This is getting stupid!

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Not being funny but Smith brings nothing to the table apart from a big pack of yellow cards.
    Good captains set an example on the field for others to follow and aspire to,In my opinion Smith does not inspire,Smith has been woeful since his arrival.

Yes he can shout on the pitch and look tuff and angry…but that is about it.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I really can’t stand what is happening to our club…I actually feel total hatred towards most of of 1st team….Fkin bunch of losers.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

@of the

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Yawn.

• Jan Stavik

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Get rid of Smith and Butt, and I’m quite sure Toon will be promoted.

Smith a leader? Don’t make me laugh, he’s useless. He can’t pass the ball, he doesn’t have good ability, he’s not quick and he doesn’t score goals.

• Robbanufc

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Congratulations on over 20 million hits Ed!

I do actually have to agree with Ed on this one, the players at our 1st team do need to step up to the plate, and show some guts right now. We need leaders at our club, but i’d rather have Steven Taylor as Captain, with Nolan as vice. They are more leaders then Smudges is in my opinion.

Nile Ranger for the #9 shirt!

• dougnufc

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Where can I see the stats of the blog?

• Nick D

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM

off topic but al you ever need to know about freddy Shepherd after he had sacked SBR below:-.

The then-chairman, Freddy Shepherd, was offered the services of a promising young coach, accompanied by his best player, and Robson counselled that he accept the offer. Shepherd rejected Jose Mourinho and Deco.

• Big Dave

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Nick D // Aug 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I think you will find that it was not only FFS decision. but it was his job to tell SBR

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Yep that right Alan – step and KEEP WALKING

• A Bathing Ape

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The club has been sold today, absolutely guaranteed. Dont know who to yet (just told “the arabs”) but the information is from a good source, expect an announcement early next week. Feel free to call me every lying name under the sun, but this is true so remember where you heard it first.

• ginkoh

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I think we should give captain armband to S.Taylor now.

• hitman

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM

theres rumours going about that we have been sold to the arabs,anyone heard owt.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I really wanted Smith to find his form….it is never going to happen now and no other club would be stupid enough to pay him the massive salary in return for a guaranteed zero goal ratio every season.

• NICK C

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Its on tyne-talk.com and apparently someone heard it on Talksport.
    Hitman, I should take it all with a rather large pinch of salt!

• NICK C

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Yeah SJT, I must admit I was well happy when we signed him. Just shows how wrong u can be!

• Big Dave

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM

hitman i have heard nowt but i hope it is true i know lambs arse had to rush down to london so hopefully this is it the new begining

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Hope we have been sold.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Agreed Nick..I thought it was an excellent signing at the time….I was totally wrong as usual : )

• Doocey

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I think we might have been sold lads 🙂

Llambias has rushed down to London and indeed was in St.James’ Park today, now why would he be there? It’s not his favourite place mind.

3 days the announcement is meant to be, meaning Tuesday.

We’ll just have to wait and see.

• magpie6699

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM

An unconfirmed rumour from a source close to Mike Ashley’s hairdresser’s cousin’s pet rabbit says we have been sold to a consortium headed by Sheikh Yatailfeather of Abu rystwith.
    Sorry – all this sort of stuff makes me go off into cuckoo land. I just hope that it’ll feel so much better when it’s over – you know like when you stop squeezing a boil. Waaaagh!

• Big Dave

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Nick and SJT For some reason i allways wanted to see him do good not just for the toons benifit but his own , I like the lad and i think he is as loyal as the come.

• toonarmymike

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

why would they need to wait till tuesday why not announce it now.

• NICK C

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Yeah Doocey that would be a nightmare. Imagine having loads of money, filling the ground and getting rid of Ashley? 😉

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Doocey “Apparently it’s DIC again, pretty much the same as City’s owners but I wouldn’t want extravagant owners like them to be honest.”

Are you Mad fella..I would love us to be able to buy players like Robinho I would be in dreamland if we get mega rich owners that want to achieve something.

• Tom Mo.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

i mean RIP Sir Bobby a MILLION times over. great man. one of the greatest humans ive ever seen.

IM NOT disrespecting him, but I think maybe we are waiting to announce it because we dont want it to cross with the weekend of mourning for him.

but wait..thatd be logical wouldnt it….and Ashley doesnt do things that way.

• Doocey

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

NICK C // Aug 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Sounds good, but we’d be stuck with a team of player who don’t want to play and only there for the money? Sound familiar? Only to be on w far worse scale.

I just rich enough owners, long-term ambitions with one manager envisaged and the ability to connect with the fans.
    Like Villa, or Everton would do nicely for me.

—-

sirjasontoon // Aug 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM

——–

Believe me mate, you won’t want to end up like Manchester City, they’ll be stuck with a bunch of players that won’t click and will fall out.
    If they do click then they’ll be a great team though. (For a period of time)

• NICK C

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Dooce, what makes u think its DIC? I was under the impression it was LFC or no one for them?

I reckon we are all so fed up with constant rumours followed by denials or a wall of silence that its impossible to believe owt…

• Big Dave

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Doocey I would rather have sensible money not crazy money like shitie.
    SJT I wouldnt want robinho do you honestly think he is there for anything else other than ££££s, I have seen enough mercenaries so no thanks

• Doocey

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM

That’s what’s rumoured and pretty heavily rumoured at that.
    This “Sirous Mahjoob” guy is meant to be a smokescreen for the sale.
    Honestly I don’t have inside sources or anything, just reading everywhere and everything. Source on Newcastle online says it done and dusted.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I just want this current shower of 5hit out pronto.
    Not struck on that Profitable group they sound like a right bunch of tight arses.

• Kevin

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:54 PM

This just popped up on NewsNow as well.

Although this source is not a trustworthy one. How many times have we fallen for these rumours? Hate to get my heart broken yet again….

• GatesheadMag

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Where did all these rumours start? Please dont say it was 1 person phoning into Talksport. Because I could ring in now and say we are signing Beckham but it means naff all.
    Heard this crap far too many times over the summer now, Just going to wait for something official.

And from tomorrow I will be a Newcastle supporter again when I renew my season ticket.
    Howay the lads!!
    (R.I.P Sir Bobby)

• True fan

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

people people, i can now reveal the unnamed source after all this time, his name is peri peri and he is actually a sauce not a source, the papers got it wrong everytime!

• GatesheadMag

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Lol and it would be brown sauce and now red. Theres been lots of brown stuff about this summer.

• True fan

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM

sorry about tht terrible joke but you have to have a sense of humour nowadays after what has been happening

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM

gatesheadmag – brave move renewing. Cash straight into fatashes coffers and not the team.

I expect the fire sale to start in earnest next week with Bassong going to the Spuds/Everton, eye to Hull/Portsmouth and Taylor to City