There are some strange goings on happening right now at the Newcastle club.
Derek Llambias with Mike Ashley
With the Newcastle hierarchy denying the story, Joe Kinnear has come out today and said he was offered a two year contract two weeks ago, but couldn’t take it up because of doctor’s health warnings, but will be ready in 3 months time.
With the likelihood of Mike staying at Newcastle for the coming season, if the club is not sold quickly, he will need to appoint a permanent manager for the club, and presumably hope the side can get promotion at their first attempt, although that would be unlikely at this point.
Apparently two consortia interested in buying the Newcastle club are now stalling on a deal because of the poor financial state of the club.
Management candidates David O’Leary, Alan Curbishley, Gordon Strachan and Steve Coppell have apparently been discussed at boardroom level, and it looks unlikely that Ashley will appoint Alan Shearer, the fans’ favorite, having kept him in the dark for over 10 weeks.
Of those four management candidates we would favor Steve Coppell, who can get the very best out of the Newcastle squad, and has many contacts in the game to bring in the required new players quickly.
Jonathan Brill, Ashley’s spokesman, said yesterday:
“Mike is still hopeful something will happen but if it doesn’t happen, then Mike will remain here.”
“You have to look at it and say, if it isn’t sold, what other choice does he have?”
Keith Harris, the executive chairman of Seymour Pierce, the London investment bank charged with brokering a deal, still remains somewhat optimistic that a deal could happen before September, but after all that’s his job:
“Newcastle is clearly not going to be sold before Saturday,”
“But I’m hopeful something might be done by the end of the month.” “The shock to Newcastle’s revenue lines after relegation is very severe,”
“It was important to see players were capable of being sold,” “I would expect a few more to leave in the coming weeks and one or two more to come in.”
Harris has encouraged Ashley to start selling players such as Obafemi Martins, the striker who joined Wolfsburg for £9M last week.
It seems that Habib Beye and Sebastien Bassong, two of our best players and winners of the Newcastle United Blog Player of the Year these last two seasons respectively, will be next out of the door.
The club hopes to get at least £14M for these two players.
And so the soap opera at Newcastle continues unabated ……