Steve Harper Starts 19th Season At Newcastle

We need some leaders in the squad this coming season, and a couple of them, Habib Beye and Nicky Butt, now seem to want to leave the club rather than stay in the current mess we are in.

steve-harper-32

Steve Harper – 19th season on Tyneside

But one player who has no intention of leaving is local goalkeeper and the longest serving player at the club, Steve Harper.

Steve will get some competition this season from young goalkeepers Tim Krul and Fraser Forster, but he also plans to make the most of finally being given the club’s number one jersey in this his 19th season at the famous Newcastle club.

Steve has been a leader at the club for a number of years, and he will be even more important next season as he helps to bring along the many great youngsters we seem to have at the club right now:

Harper told the club’s official website.

“I’ve waited a long time for my opportunity and I intend to stay there for a long time,”

“The younger lads keep me on their toes and I’ll help them all I can – but one thing I won’t be doing is rolling over.”

“I’m feeling fit and strong and want to play a major part in getting us back into the Premier League.”

Harper has been first choice since his friend and long-time rival, the great Irishman Shay Given joined Manchester City in January, after taking enough of the nonsense being dished out by owner Mike Ashley.

Things do not look too bright for Newcastle’s season right now, as time runs out on getting new players in to strengthen the squad, even as we are selling some top wage earners to make the financial nooks more acceptable to new potential owners.

It looks like we are in a a right mess, but the lads can do a lot to raise the spirits of both the Newcastle fans and their own, by getting all 3 points at WBA on Saturday.

• Graeme

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Nothing worth saying that hasnt already been said. Same old, same old!!

• gibbotwg

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

has anyone seen Vuckic play? how good is he, does he have alot of potential? and what sort of player is he like?

• pearceet

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM

has anyone heard on bbc http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport above the alonso thing about kinnear saying he has been offered 2 year deal

• Eaststander

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM

One player that I haven’t heard any summer whinging from and deserves a mention is our left back Jose. Where I sit in the East stand soon to be th Sir Bobby Robson stand- hopefully. I had a good view of this lad and I have to say I like him. He just needs that bit extra and if he stays the Championship could give him the confidence to become a real gem in my opinion.

• Eaststander

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Pearceet you are right whats that all about!!!!!!!

• Stuart79

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM

The club have denied that he will be the new manager!

He doesn’t have a great track record for telling the truth JFK.

Even Ashley wouldn’t offer JFK a two yr contract. There’d be nobody at the ground!

• ginkoh

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Give him testimonial for his loyalty and I pretty sure he will get it.

• Toon Graeme

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

If this Kinnear thing is true talk about a complete u-turn but what do you expect from NUFC eh?

and just to add – you are having a f****g laugh!

• Stuart79

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM

He’s just said he was offered a two year contract and he’s mulling it over!

He won’t return to football for three months and then he’ll look at it again!

Fck me what a cock he is!

• komfort

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM

talksport are trying to get jfk on within the next hour..

• Toon Graeme

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Stuart – proven g*b sh*te too!

• Eaststander

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Right Iam off to bed (nightshift) I dont want to wake up and see that JFK is manager so if someone could stop this please it would be very much appreciated

• WELSHMAG

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Joe can f-off after saying those things about newcastle fans being deluded. He’s the deluded one, the stupid f***.

Why would we offer him a two year contract when the club is due to be sold, he’s just recovering from a tripple heart bypass and he’s sh*t? I recon he loves the publicity and needs attention.

• Stuart79

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

If he omes back I’m going to post my season ticket back to them.

I will also report the club to the trading standards and sue them under the trades description act!

• Stuart79

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM

He said that he was due to be going back for the Dundee game

• AussieToon

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Joe Kinnear is a compulsive liar.

He says he has been offered a two year deal by Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias but now he has spoken to Derek and he says the club is almost sold so he doubts he will be installed now…..

Confused? So is Joe!

Dead set liar!

• stevep

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Anything can happen at NUFC and frequently does – I’m amazed that we can still be surprised at the levels of ineptitude shown by players and mgmt.
    just when we think we’re at the bottom they seem to find a few further feet to sink into