Alan Smith To Captain Newcastle At WBA

News from the club today that Alan Smith will be the Newcastle United captain for the first Championship match at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

alan-smith-raised-fist

Alan Smith – captain at WBA on Saturday

The 28-year-old has deputized for captain Nicky Butt during pre-season and stand-in manager  Chris Hughton confirmed today that the former Leeds and Manchester United player, will get the armband at The Hawthorns.

Chris Hughton said today:

“Alan has had a good pre-season and will captain the side at West Brom,”

“He’s a strong character and is a player you know will give you nothing less than 100%.”

“People sometimes forget that he only returned from a very serious injury towards the end of last season.”

“So for him to get a full pre-season under his belt was very important.”

We have no problems with Alan’s attitude, as it has always been first class at the Newcastle club.

He is a fighter and always gives 100%,  but his form has been poor over the two years he has spent on Tyneside, after Sam Allardyce bought him for £6M from the Red Devils.

But his type of physical play could be very important in the Championship next season, and he will be a decent leader on the field in the absence of Nicky Butt.

Of course Nicky is not happy on Tyneside right now, and we feel if Ashley keeps the club, there will be an exodus of the likes of Butt, Habib Beye and other disenchanted players out of Newcastle.

Most of them have had enough of the ridiculous antics of Ashley and LLambias , as most Newcastle fans have too.

• WELSHMAG

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

do you all think beye, collocini, jonas etc will play a part on sat? I’d leave collo out, he was rubbish last year and his mind aint on it, he’ll stroll about without a care in the world if given the chance.

GK – harper
    RB – R.taylor
    CB – S. taylor
    CB – Kadar
    LB – Enrique
    RW – Guthrie
    CM – Barton
    CM- Nolan
    LW – Duff
    ST – Smith
    ST – Carroll

• TheDan

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I personally think this is good news,
    plays with his heart on his sleeve and I genuinely believe he will do well in the Championship.

• budmon

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Score some goals please, i don’t think thats to much to ask from a “forward” is it?

• RyanToon

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Id go along with that team WELSHMAG!

• punk skunk...

CM Barton
    CM Guthrie
    CF Ranger
    CF Carroll

• GEORDIE69

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Without Guthrie I’d play Jonas!

• baldynapper

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Isn’t Barton a non-starter for his red card against Liverpool?

I know he served 1 match against Villa but a straight Red is 3 match’s???

please correct me if I’m wrong.

• King Bob the first

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Smith is a good appointment you could see he was completely gutted at the end of the last season so it shows he has the passion to brings us back up

I like the fact we still have the taylors, nolan and joans and with the young blood coming up ranger and carroll we should really clean up in the championship

• Macas35

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM

baldynapper – He missed his 3 games at the end of last season

• King Bob the first

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM

hence the reason why shearer was so pissed of with him

• baldynapper

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I stand corrected:

Smoggies, Fulham, Villa

cheers Macas35

Mind you I’m happy for Smith to be captain. We all know he’s no top striker, but a very enthusiastic, motivating hard nut that will slap a few faces in the dressing room etc.

Team for me:

GK: Harper
    RB: R.Taylor
    CB: Kadar
    CB: S.Taylor
    LB: Enrique
    RW: Jonas
    CM: Barton
    CM: Smith (c)
    LM: Duff
    AM: Nolan / ST: Ranger
    ST: Carroll

I think ranger should at least get 20-30 mins on Saturday, he’s chomping at the bit and a cracking young striker that is willing and wanting to play for the club.

• Doocey

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Jozy Altidore gone to Hull.
    My lord.

• telsave

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Who is telling the biggest lie now have you heard this…

What on earth is going on!

• Rodzilla

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Smith as captain. Blindfold your lip-reading children.

I suppose it’ll give him good reason to kick his own players, instead of the opposition.

Fair doos.

• King Bob the first

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM

if Bassong is sold today – would he still need to serve his one match suspension?

Would Titnam prefer to buy him on Monday so that Saturdays game would count as his suspended game

• premier

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Barton must have been badly missed when suspended then!!
    nee start for Shola the goal scoring machine?

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I personally would start Smith upfront with Carrol as suggested by Welshmag.

This season is a real chance for us to turn Alan into the striker he was at Leeds before ManUre completely messed with his positioning.

Smudger would definately be my first choice captain, born leader, heart on his sleeve, the lad actually gives a damn!

• Stuart79

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Smith might have found his level in the the Championship, so too Nolan and Ameobi.

• simon376

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I can’t see this as good news, Smith shouldn’t be in the team. He was skipper under SA and was useless, why will he have improved now? Needs to spend more time on his game

• Doocey

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Kinnear seems to know more than Llambias what’s going on regarding the sale

• dougnufc

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Guys, take a look at the latest video I made for Andy Carroll.

• Toon Graeme

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM

What does the talk sport link say?

At work so cant hear it.

• Doocey

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Toon Graeme // Aug 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM

What does the talk sport link say?

At work so cant hear it.
    —-

Basically he’s saying that there’s been many bidder who want the club but can’t produce the funds, hence the blame falling back to Mike Ashley. Where in fairness it mightn’t be Ashley’s fault at all.

Joe said the club could be sold tomorrow or by Christmas but he’s talking shite because he doesn’t actually know. 😐

• stevep

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Kinnears talking sh1te as always – he contradicts himself all over the place

• baldynapper

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

another smokescreen for Ashley by Mr JFK

• shrews mag

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:55 PM

baldynapper // Aug 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

he missed boro, fulham and villa at the end of last season and servced his ban … but he could also miss the rest of this season for me … he is an absolute disgrace and shouldn’t be allowed on the same pitch that SBR played on at the hawthorns …

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Although I wasn’t gonna post ’til I changed my name now Oba’s gone… I cannot decide on a new 1 🙁 Any suggestions lol and keep it clean plz.

JFK is full of ****. He is talking like he’s still employed by the club, talks more than anyone ” in the know ” and the content like:

“£75 million offered” etc. Is too much info for him to know unless our owner discusses every detail with him then allows him to spout his gob off to the press. UNLIKELY.

More likely a smokescreen to push the buyers into offering more money.

I’ll say again JFK is full of ****.

• magpie6699

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Oba -and-out?

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:02 PM

lol….. and as for Smith being captain, what a joke! but suppose CCC is probably his and most of our players level!

• BoyNUFC

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:03 PM

ObaFan2
    Sticking with a Toon strikers name… maybe you should go with someone like Nile Ranger because I reckon once he gets on as a sub a few times and scores a few goals he’ll be a major fixture in the team…Rangerfan all the way for me like!!!

• Ratfink

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM

You cant play smith up front, in two years he hasnt looked like he knows where the goal is let alone how to score. He may be a good shout to replace Butt at defensive midfield.

I know people slag Shola off but I would go for him and Ranger up front. Carrol is a canny lad and runs around like a headless chicken but doesnt command the box or hold the ball up. We need rangers pace.

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Thing about Oba was that I was happy paying money just to go and watch him play, there isn’t any other player atm where that is the case now.
    Probably plum for sommit from the past…… ummm my brain hurts.

• magforlife

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I love the mention about Nicky Butt not being happy right now at Newcastle, well quite a few of us are not very happy that this has been is still at our club so make a move and sling your hook to put a smile back on our faces please.

• magpie6699

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Obafan2
    If it’s pacy strikers you like to be named after, how about “Smithy scores again!”
    And yes, the sky is a nice shade of purple on my planet.

• Rodzilla

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:16 PM

If Smith is captain he’s GOT to stick in the centre of midfield for me, not upfront. Personally I don’t think he’s good enough in either position but as some have said already, he may come into his element in the CCC. Here’s hoping…………

ObaFan2, the rate we go through players I’d say picking a generic NUFC-related name, or one personal/random would be the wisest move – rather than one that references players. Just my thoughts…..

• stevep

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Obafan2 – go for sir bobby robson

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Rod I agree and tx to those for the suggestions 🙂

been a week nearly so far and still haven’t decided! and Smithy score again… great name, let’s hope it come true on Saturday with atleast a hattrick and not of own goals or penalties given away.

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM

stevep, funny I’d thought of summit like that as we share the same christian name and Friday ofc was the day we lost the great man and I certainly don’t mean Oba there. Maybe I could just transfer with Oba and support his new team 🙂 I wish.