Joe Kinnear has come out and talked even more about his apparent pending appointment as Newcastle manager.
Joe Kinnear – expands on yesterday’s news
The 62-year-old Dublin-born manager is confident his health issue will be resolved in just a month, and has now hinted he will accept the job if Ashley keeps the Tyneside club.
Joe told the Newcastle Journal today:
“I’m fit and well and looking forward to coming back into football,”
“I spoke to Derek Llambias and they were on the verge of selling the club, but since then things have changed and everything is on hold.”
“They’re still, if you like, negotiating with a certain consortium, but they’ve not reached the value Mike is looking for.”
“At the moment, what is happening to me is they have offered me a two-year deal. I was due to go back for the Dundee (United) match (last weekend) and announce it then.”
“But it doesn’t coincide with the medical side of things. I’ve got a month to go and after that month, fingers crossed, I’ll be fine.”
“If I’d have said yes, Alan wouldn’t be manager, but I wouldn’t know. If it’s sold and a new consortium comes in next week I’d think he has every chance.”
But as usual Kinnear is full of contradictions and in another interview yesterday, Kinnear claimed he would not be able to return to work for another three months, while repeating the argument the club could be sold in a just days.
“Everybody is left in a little bit of limbo. It’s come to a stage now where the people who want to buy the club are squeezing Mike. What they are offering is well below what he is looking for.”
“It isn’t for the want of selling, Mike wants to wash his hands of it and get out ASAP, but people aren’t offering him the value. He’s only been offered £75M.”
Kinnear is well aware he would not be a popular alternative to Alan Shearer, but that doesn’t stop him from arguing he did a good job during his four months in the North East and had won over some of the sceptical supporters.
“I’m well aware he (Shearer) is their choice,” “When I was there I was winning them over. It was just a small section of fans on my case. The season ticket holders, the people willing to put bums on seats, were happy with how things were going.”
“Since then I’ve had a heart attack and Alan’s gone in. It’s a difficult decision. I’ve got to give it some serious consideration. I’m going back into the fire if you like. A lot of work needs to be done.”
We’ll juts have to hope that the matter gets resolved as soon as possible.
Mike has said he has put a time-frame on selling the club by this Saturday, but it will not be sold by then according to Keith Harris of the Seymour Pierce Bank.
We would assume that is the club is not sold Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood will be in charge for the first 5 games in August, but poor results then could adversely affect any promotion hopes we may have.
And also who will be bringing new players into the club for the 46 game season, since we’ve already lost 6 players from out rather small squad of last season.
The news there will be no transfer fees for new players is not good, since presumably Mike will be trying to get the financial books in order to sell the club either at Christmas or next summer.
This is not a good scenario for the Newcastle United club.
There are lots of questions that need to be answered quickly, if we are to have any chance next season in the Championship.