Mike Ashley Has Decimated The Newcastle Club

The affairs over the 11 weeks of the summer since the club was relegated on May 24th, could only happen at the Newcastle United football club.

mike ashley 6893

Mike Ashley – has decimated the club this summer

We were relegated almost 11 weeks ago and tomorrow is our first game in the Championship at WBA.

Have we got the squad set and brought the players in to give us a chance of promotion?

You’ve got to be kidding.

No, Mike Ashley in his wisdom, has put a stranglehold on the club, and stopped any outgoing transfers until a week ago, and is about to take the club off the market after trying to sell the club for 10 weeks.

Just to ensure no planning is possible on bringing players in, this man has refused to appoint a full time manager for the 11 weeks we have been relegated, and so we have no new players in, and still have a wage bill which is around £25M too much for us , given the revenues the club will be bringing in during the Championship season.

Is this a shambles or is this a shambles?

It’s hard to think how Mike could have put Newcastle in any worse shape than it is right now.

Expect Mike to announce over the weekend that he is taking the club off the market for at least a year, because he was unable to get the offer he was looking for – a knock-down price of £100M.

He will now appoint a new manager, and give that man less than 3 weeks to reshape the squad for the Championship. 11 weeks of the summer have now been lost as Mike did nothing for the club in that time, other than to try to sell it and get it off his hands.

And he failed – failed again to sell it, even though it seems there was a decent offer on the table from local businessman Barry Moat, who is friends with Shearer and would have immediately appointed the former Newcastle and England Idol to start resuscitating a club which is now in really bad shape.

It appears the Ashley reign on Tyneside will continue for at least another year, and where we will be in 12 months time is anybody’s guess.

We don’t even want to think about that right now, but this is just about the worst possible outcome for the ever faithful Newcastle fans.

What have we done to deserve this? 🙁

• Frank pingles come sock

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM

1ST ON THE ACTUAL DAY WE ARE GOING TO BE SOLD! GET IN

• brownrob

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Every day gets worse Ed!

• WELSHMAG

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:31 AM

When you actually look at what has happened over the last year or so it’s really hard to believe. Mike has been dreadfull. At the end of last season after relegation I though he might have learnt some lessons about running a football club, but alas no, he’s left us to rot over the last eleven weeks and no we look in a terrible situation.

I tell you what, if we get two injured defenders we’re actually f-ked. IF enrique gets injured and steven taylor gets a three match ban who’s gonna play in defence?

• RyanToon

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

its a f**king disgrace!

• Toon Graeme

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Its hard to stay positive aint it.

I well looking forward to going to West Brom tomorrow. I shall kit myself out with a greggs pasty or two and a couple of sandwiches for the bus trip.

I wonder what gems we will have in the chronicle today.

• RyanToon

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:41 AM

good on ya TG, greggs is f ookin lovely lol

• Toonkistan

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Ed..what makes you think that any new owner and especially Moat will install Shearer as manager who is asking for a huge contract and this Mr. Moat is struggling to arrange 50million to buy the club…
    Also what are the chances that Shearer will get it right and last i looked he got us relegated when any decent manager with any sort of tactical knowledge would’ve saved us….bring CCC experience manager…i’d say Copell

• hitman

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM

• boater

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Ah man ED… really – I respect your tireless work – I really do – but is this kind of headline necessary or helpful?

Ashley is trying to sell. The smart supporters understand the situation. Or at least our vitriol only hurts us more in the end. We don’t have an owner who understands that the greatest asset of the club is it’s supporters – daft as they are.

That is his worst failing.. but we need to be strong, like with the last day of the season… stiff upper lip in defeat, unquestioning support, never sniveling. Thats what sets us apart from the gooner part-time supporters, etc.

We really don’t help ourselves at the toon.. I wish we could see that. NO ASHLEY placards and NO ASHLEY CHANTS at the match please. We only make ourselves look like tits and hardly helps a sale go through now does it.

• bill

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Coppell cannot hack it, he couldn’t stand the pressure at Man City and walked after 8 games. How do you think he would cope at Newcastle?

Even if offered the job, I doubt he would take it because he cannot take the stress that goes with managing clubs under the spotlight.

• chanty

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I don’t know why he is considering taking it off the market, if he can’t sell it, leave it on there and if the team performs well he may have a chance of selling it before the jan transfer window

• bozo

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I am waiting for stardust to come and blame the fans for lack of depth in the squad.

• Jan Stavik

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

What have you done? You’ve been having two fat tw@ts as owners, one spending way too much and the other one not knowing anything about the game of football.

Fat Fred is as bad as Ashley, I’d rather see some arab than that joke of a man back at the club.

• Big Dave

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Lads i find it real strange that there is still 1 or 2 people coming on to this blog and basically sticking up for MA saying he has done what the fans wanted. do they have there head stuck somewhere that they havent seen what Ma has done to this once great club.

• boater

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Toonkistan. I’m with you. The supporters have to ask themselves – do we want a good shot at success in the Championship and beyond? Or do they want some fantasy geordie-nation dream. They MAY not – the evidence almost certainly suggests – be the same thing.

I would go for Curbishley.

• Chizzy_Toon

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Toonkistan – Ok, say Mr Moat doesnt manage to raise the money (IMO i think he has the money, and is just offering what he believes the club to be worth). Fat Mike Stays and appoints Coppel to manage us, gets us into the Prem after first try (wishful thinking at the moment). Then What. Sack Coppel because he wont be able to cut it in the Premeirship?? or stick with him and hope you can keep us in the Prem league??

I for one am on the fence about Shearer coming in as manager, part of me thinks he could potentially be a great manager, with the right assistant (Carver), who is young enough to stay at the club for years to come. Then another part thinks, should they go for proven experience, managed prem/CCC teams…

One thing i am clear on is this takeover is beginning to get right on my T1Ts. 🙂

• evildick

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

turns out the light at the end of the train was mike ashleys fluorescent pasties! wobbling around as he does the truffle shuffle to celebration another sweet sweet shafting of the geordie nation.

• boater

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Big Dave. Ah man… see Ashley is an idiot boss who failed to recognize how important communication, respect of our heritage and region, etc is to our supporters. The damage ALSO been afflicted by us the supporters for reacting like brats.

Further anger at Ashley is – to some extent understandable – but totally useless and in fact detrimental to our hopes of a respectable start to the season.

• Toonkistan

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Boater …my point is we need a manager with experience and i didnt see anything in the 8 matches that suggests me that shearer can cut it out especially when we need to be up in 1 season….
    chizzy my friend god knows if shearer wasnt a toon legend the same supporters would call for chairman head for such an appointment….

• evildick

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Toon Graeme – it’s high time greggs went international. i can still taste my last pasty which i ate a few years ago at newcastle airport. could go one now actually!

• liam85

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Right, that it!!!
    If Ashley stays I’m going!!
    I can’t look forward to anything from Newcastle if he’s still about. We will be lucky to keep in the championship for the next season.
    He’s messed this club up.
    I don’t think I can take my time and effort for a club that’s falling apart because of one man..

• Big Dave

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM

boater i agree mate protests make us look real bad especially the cokney maffia one. I do believe that it wouldnt have been as bad if there was some communication so that we didnt allways have to listen to snippets of info just to try to find out what was happening. Looking back now i think Ma could have been a decent owner if he had of went about things a bit more professionally. but it is all to late imo

• boater

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Chizzy Toon… I agree – will Shearer be a ZOla or a Guardiola? An ex-player legend who immediately oversees a successful period in the clubs’ history. Or will he be another Bryan Robson, SOuthgate, Ince, Adams, Keane, etc. i.e. an example of the old classic axiom – great player does not a great manager make.

My ongoing concern about Shearer is that he lacks tactical penetrative insight. That’s painfully obvious watching him on match of the day. He says the obvious things which have been floating around the press all week. When you hear top managers talk about the game they either have clear tactical astuteness – Wenger, Erikksson, OR they have a charismatic way of communicating – O’Leary, Keegan… in rare cases they have both of course – Wor’ Bobby.

Shearer clearly has neither – the only 2 reasons I have heard for his natural appointment are 1) the fans will give him time… well that’s a very dubious logic – so we will watch him fail due to inexperience? because we are biased after his playing career!?!?!?!?*!* 2) he will command respect in the dressing room… like tony adams or stuart pearce? well that seriously didn’t seem to impact on the performances in the last 8 games… that’s what coaches need – respect from the players -managers need ingenue. SHearer doesn’t have that..

If what you all want is to soak in a geordie bath for a while ,, get shearer – but I want to get promoted and get the hell out of this league and back sticking it up the top sides.

• ginkoh

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Actually I don’t care who’s our next owner. But no more Ashley. He’s the curse of Tyneside !!

• evildick

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

i don’t think that most people believe shearer will walk in and bring us immediate glory. but something he would do – or would of done given a chance, is rid the club of all the leeches who don’t give 100% and are here for the wage. shearer would find them out. and thats all most of us want – a fresh start.

• premier

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Maybe the league 1 banner displayed at the training ground will drain belief rather than restore it

• Toonmania

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

we will see the club sold either today or tomorrow, i think the deal is pretty much done it’s just a case of dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s.
    All of these paper reports are full of if,but’s and maybe’s but there is no direct quotes in them, they are just guessing, lets all stop beleaving what the papers write and just wait and see what happens, lets face it the papers haven’t been right through this whole sorry situation

• Stardust

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Boater – dont think I have to post anymore – your post reflect things exactly as I see it.

• workyticket

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM

boater // Aug 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

“When you hear top managers talk about the game they either have clear tactical astuteness – Wenger, Erikksson, OR they have a charismatic way of communicating – O’Leary, Keegan…”

O’Leary and Keegan? Top managers? 🙂

• bill

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM

boater:

Tactics are simple to understand, there is nothing difficult about it. How many football managers or coaches have a degree from a university?
    Don’t mention FA coaching courses that they need to take, I’ve been on them and I can tell you as far as tactics are concerned I didn’t learn anything new.

To be a football manager you need to understand simple tactics, but you also need motivational skills, and have the personality to impose your will on others. This will depend on each players personality as well as your own.

Great players who failed in the past have not had all of these skills.

• premier

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

dessimated coconut

• Big Dave

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Bill I think you can learn tactics but the motivational skills,and personality i think have to be naturally there in the 1st place

• ian

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I still think there is more to this, we may see one of his shops in the bottom of the stadium and a Casino upstairs, maybe the training ground sold.

I hope I never bump in to him at one of the business venues as I think I could not help but tell him what I think of him.

I have two conclusions:

1 as i said he has a plan for the stadium building other than football and that is to use the existing building not try and build something in its place as well as having a small lower league football team.

2, That he never actually built up his fortune and that he had a little money from somewhere, possibly a family shop too, then someone bright with some good ideas made his fortune for him then got sick of the ar***ole and left.

Since then he has got poorer by the day as he is incapable of running a burger van.

It has to be one of the two, nothing else stacks up.

• Stardust

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Ian – quite right it doesnt stack up when your form your rationale and understanding from press headlines.

• bill

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Big Dave:

Exactly so. I think Shearer may well possess those personal skills and I for one would like to see him working with his choice of player and see how he performs.

The tactical nous stuff is another journalists way of attacking managers, when it’s actually the players on the park not doing their jobs properly.

Communication, communication, communication, that’s what it’s all about.

• Rodzilla

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Wise words Bill. 30@35

• ian

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM

No Stardust, it does not stack up when you look at his actions, none of my thoughts are from news headlines.

He has a plan, none of which involves a premiership club.

Or quite simply a previous manager/chairman or whatever he employed made his money for him, now I assume he has gone as he is going down the plug quicker than I have ever seen the demise of any previously succesful businessman.

It is one of the two, as nothing else makes sense.

• Stuart79

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I’ve just seen Ashley working at one of them burger vans on A1. You won’t be suprised to know he didn’t have any customers.

Probably had no food either ashe’ eat it all…….

HaHa

• HarryWorth

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Mike is laughing at Newcastle United and the fans from his sun lounge in Hawaii.
    Like he’s bothered that he is fookin our club up. I ‘m no longer convinced that he is even trying to sell it.

• stk85

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM

you cannot keep changing manager every 6 months if something goes wrong, and when they appointed shearer it should’ve been for as long as it takes.

those of you who doubt he is the leader this club was crying out for shouldn’t doubt. the players were happy for a change and that says it all, despite results, we were already dead after hughtons 10 games.

you cant keep changing manager and changing your mind. stick to one train of thought for 5 seconds otherwise we’ll be talking about winning league one next season.

if not shearer…. then curbishley