The Players Will Do Everything Today To Get A Result

We’ll have a chance to see today how the Newcastle side is likely to do in the Championship this coming season.

chris hughton -794658900

Chris Hughton – focusing on Saturday’s game

Stand-in coach Chris Hughton said today:

“The players are focusing on Saturday, we’ll evaluate the performance and result and everyone will form their own conclusions post-game. The only feeling I get from the players at the moment is that they’re determined to do well on Saturday and nothing else.”

“Once you’ve done a pre-season apart from the club’s situation and things that have been written, we’re a football club and the players do their best out on the pitch irrespective.”

“When the fixtures came out, on paper we’d have like to have a game slightly more comfortable if that’s possible and a home one. There’ll be a group of lads giving everything to get a result.”

Today’s performance should tell us a lot about how we can expect to fair this season in the Championship, but the squad we have is woefully short in numbers and skill.

What happens if one of our full backs (they are Ryan Taylor and Jose Enrique) is injured for instance?

We seem to have no strength in depth with the sqaud, and right now will have to rely on the youngsters to fill out the first team squad in August.

We have no idea if Ashley keeps the club (let’s hopoe and pray that’s not the case), whether he will allow any new players to be brought in – the Newcastle club we feel is in that big of a jam right now.

Joe Kinnear recently said there was no money for new players should Ashley not sell the club – then what do we do?

• HarryWorth

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM

“The Players Will Do Everything Today To Get A Result”

sez you…..
    I’m not convinced the 2 Argies will be busting a gut for us today. Hope I’m wrong, mind you.

• Gordo

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Hope we get a positive result i’m sure the 2700 travelling fans will give their all 2-1 Newcastle.

• stevep

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM

hughton is a nice guy and doing his best but he’s simply not a manager, he has no tactical awareness and no motivational skills, it’s pretty obvious the players have no respect for him and just ignore anything he says

should be 2-1 toon due to players wanting to put themselves in shop window but our lot are so apathetic we’ll prob get beat

• stevep

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

“When the fixtures came out, on paper we’d have like to have a game slightly more comfortable if that’s possible and a home one.”

kinel – we aint playing manure, its west brom for christs sake who did he want…… leyton orient.

• magpie6699

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Yes but what result?

• Jan Stavik

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Not to confident about todays game, WBA is a fairly strong team.

I’m predicting a 2-1 loss, points from the Hawthorns today will be a bonus based on the state of this club.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Going for a baggies win as well…they have strengthened and we have weakened the squad.

I said 2-0 earlier my gut feeling is it might even be 4 or 5…if we play like we have pre season which although only friendlies where awful to be honest.

• Ericles

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Keep the faith. My tip to shine this sesason for us ? It is Shola Ameobi!

• Here We Ngo Baheng

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Anyone else picking up a horrid stench of deja vu?

I predict a 3-0 defeat (and that’s optimistic in my eyes) as WBA have basically the same side as last season where they had significant periods of the game where they could have scored plenty of goals but they were wasteful where we were clinical so be won both times. Now we have no manager, no Owen, Martins, Lovenkrands etc to bail us out.

Our position after this weekend could well start with a 2, and it’s not going to be second.

I pray that I’m wrong and will hope to be proven so until 7.30pm tonight.

• chuck

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

There will be a group of lads giving everything to get a result (hope he is`nt refering to W/brom)
    Just increases ones frustration reading crap like that, I mean is it not expected of a team to allways give there all, or just on special occassions ?
    How more depressing can this sh*t get ?

• Ericles

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Shola to bag 2! Smith to break his duck!

• SBR4EVA

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I’m not expecting to see too much from both sides in the way of goals today.

If West Brom nick it, I don’t think we should be too upset or surprised considering what a joke we are at the minute.

Today we should be happy if we can see is a bit of commitment from our players. An indication that they intend to do the job that they love and maybe we can have something to look forward to…

I’m praying that the Toon will be the ones smiling at the end of the day but if not then just remember – Ashley’s not staying for much longer, he wants out just as much as we want rid of him….Reet!

And I hope that they do a nice tribute for Sir Bobby as well.

Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap,
    Clap-clap-clap-clap
    GEORDIES!

• toonsy

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Ericles – Smith to break his duck!

Aye, his rubber duck….. in that early bath he’ll end up in!

• Ericles

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I no more expect Smith to score than Ashley with his missus. As for Shola I think he will try – and not just with his missus. I am running on essential optimism today e.g., fumes, pies in the sky, a forlorn hope Wor Bobby is looking down, and wondering how we can win running around dressed up like a bunch of cream buns!

• BigLish

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM

What I think we’ll see tonight is the worst BBC1 saturday evening programming since the days of Noels House Party and Mr Blobby (the pink spotty thing, not Mark Viduka)

2 awful teams and only one of them playing with any sense of what they are trying to achieve.

I’m sure the lads are focusing on the match, but I can only see one outcome – maybe 2-0 or 2-1 defeat… hope i’m wrong

• Chris G

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM

‘…. and Mr Blobby (the pink spotty thing, not Mark Viduka)’

Thanks for clarifying that, BigLish. For a moment there I thought you were referring to Mike Ashley 😉

• Bill F

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

HarryWorth, I reckon Jonas will bust a gut he always does, I think Collo plays well when he plays well, otherwise!!

• magforlife

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Just been reading the Steven Taylor interview on skysports.com and he mentions how small the squad is , we have moved 9 players out since the end of the season and if we get one or two injuries we will be in serious trouble.

• Jan Stavik

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Barton out of the squad after a bust-up with the two argies according to Lee Ryder.

Not good news at all, Nolan and Geremi in the heart of midfield then? Or Curlyccini…

• Chris G

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Jan Stavik – bloody hell, I hadn’t heard about that, but it looks like you’re right

• Jan Stavik

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Sure I’m right. I’m also right about Harper being an average keeper, he already cost us a goal at Hawthorns.