The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hero Krul So Pleased To Get Point For Magpies

2:02 pm, Monday, August 10th, 2009 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Tim Krul isn’t only a very talented young goalkeep,er but he has already shown his love for the Tyneside club, and proudly says he is now speaking with a Geordie accent. :D

Tim Krul - great display on Saturday!

It’s news like this that Newcastle fans are grasping at right now, in the dearth of any other good news at the club.  Tim had an outstanding 45 minutes during the second half in which he made 4 top class saves to keep WBA at bay.

Tim talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’ve been waiting for it.” “Just to look at the 2,700 Geordies who travelled, there was nothing better. It’s crazy.”

“Of course, your debut is the most important thing, but it was three years ago, and this is a fantastic result for the boys, and it gives us a good boost.”

“My main thought is about Steve and his head – hopefully it’s not as bad as it looked.” “Of course, we’ll take it from there. I was just happy to get a point for the club – the boys were all pleased we came away with a point.”

“First of all I realised straight away it was Steve’s head, so I felt really bad in the first place.” “Then I looked at Paul Barron, who said to get warmed up just in case.”

“Steve was really dizzy, and I went to him when the first half was finished and he said it wasn’t very good at all.” “I’m hoping everything is all right.”

And reflecting on the series of his top four saves that save a point for Newcastle, Krul added:

“The first one was after one minute, I think. It’s always good to get straight in. It was a great feeling, and got my confidence straight up.”

“After that loads happened. For the volley, I was more protecting my face than making a save!” “It was fantastic – unbelievable again!”

His display will pile the pressure on Steve Harper to improve his game, if he is to keep the goalkeeper jersey at Newcastle, and that cannot be bad.

Now we need for a couple more of our top youngsters to start playing well, and pushing for a regular place, and the next one up could be 19 year-old Hungarian center-back Tamas Kadar, who had a very impressive pre-season.

We think he could have done no worse than Argentine Fabricio Coloccini on Saturday, who was given a rare runaround by 17 year New Zealand striker Chris Wood.

The youngsters may yet be the saviour of the club this coming season – we hope so anyway.

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Tamas Kadar · Tim Krul

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 ginkoh // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

He got some luck too but however it’s make me feel the same he done against Palermo. Great save great game Tim !!

But if our GK got MOTM it doesn’t mean whole team play bad !? I shoud happy with Krul or concern with whole team’s performance ? I just confuse — –”

• 2 Rodzilla // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM

8 stories in 3 hours Ed, are you going for the world record? ;)

• 3 nufc2009 // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM

newcastle 3rd kit https://shop.nufc.co.uk/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=theclubshop_nufc&state=item&dept_id=01&sub_dept_id=30&product_id=190037

• 4 NI Toon // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I have seen Krul play a feww times and think he has the potential to be a great keeper. Harper is a true loyal professional and I am glad he is here to help bring along our young goalkeepers.

ANY IDEAS?
    I am looking to heading over for one of the home games over the next moth or so.

Anyone got any good suggestions of best place to stay for a couple of night? To be honest it will just be a place to keep my stuff and get a few hours sleep to cheap as possible and hand to the town / SJP.

Cheers

• 5 Tino 11 // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I thought Krul was very good, he came out a couple of times when he shouldn’t have, but this was probably just the adrenalin of wanting to save everything. Feel a bit sorry for Harper who might not be the number 1 for much longer now, even though he waited all those years for his chance!

Batty, if your logged on, you seem very angry at the minute, have your bets not been coming in? :-)

Stardust – I see your back on today, you went very quiet after making your famous “you can never ever teach positional sense” comment!

• 6 Tino 11 // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:35 PM

In terms of recruiting players, i don’t see why we can’t get players in on loan now, if the new manager doesn’t want them then they just cancel the loan.

Plus we could try some of the free agents like Sol Campbell etc, on a pay as you play deal with the promise of a longer contract when a new manager comes in.

• 7 Whumpie // Aug 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM

NI Toon – I’d go for the Formula 1 hotel up near the airport. Dirt cheap, clean, basic, £5 taxi from SJP. http://www.hotelformule1.com

Good on TK, by the way – but let’s not get ahead of ourselves; he still got a bit flappy at times and he’s only 21. Flash saves are one thing; consistency and a level head over a season are another.

• 8 geordie jock // Aug 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Krul should be kept in the team, he is much better than Harper and as you say Ed bring in more youngsters especially Kadar and Ranger. It’s Definitely time to drop the likes of Harper, Coloccini, and Ameobi, they have had their chances and blewn it.

• 9 Whumpie // Aug 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I honestly thought Shola did ok on Saturday. Lots of gaffs, but also the only creativity we had up front. Also set up our goal with a sweeeet pass through 3 defenders to Nolan.

• 10 NI Toon // Aug 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM

@ Whumpie –

Cheers for advise mate will have a look ….

• 11 tommy boi // Aug 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM