Alan Shearer – I Wish I Was Still In The Dugout

While he interrupted his holiday in Portugal over the weekend, Alan Shearer gave an interview in the Sun, where he went into detail about his involvement at Newcastle these last 11 weeks, and it hasn’t been much.

Alan Shearer -Tottenham

Alan Shearer – still wants Newcastle job

With Newcastle not even signing one player this summer, and with 6 players having left, our squad right now will not be strong enough or big enough for promotion to be possible.

Shearer said:

“Key players have gone out and none have come in.” “When you consider the squad we had at the end of last season was pretty thin anyway and it wasn’t balanced enough.”

“Look at it. Mark Viduka, Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, Habib Beye, Peter Lovenkrands… all gone. All of those have gone without anyone coming in so that tells the story for Newcastle.”

“It does not take a genius to work out that it is not ideal preparation for them.” “While other clubs have been preparing, while others have been bringing in players they feel will get them out of this league.”

” Newcastle have stood still and are static.” “They are going into it with their hands tied, not a nice situation for anyone.”

Shearer still freely admits he wants to become the Newcastle manager, despite his poor record of just one win in 8 games, during his brief spell in charge starting on April 1st.

Shearer, who wants to start a management career as soon as possible, after a terrific playing record in which he scored 206 goals in 404 appearances for his home town club, continued:

“I was asked to make a list of the players that I wanted to keep and a list of the players I wanted to be moved on. I did that.”

“I gave him a list of potential targets of players who I thought would give Newcastle a great chance of returning to the top flight within a year.”

“But because there has been no sale of the club that’s not happened.” “You have to believe me when I say I only know as much as anyone else.” “I would love it sorted out for the sake of the football club.”

“But more importantly so that the football club can move on and get properly prepared for this tough campaign.”  “Yes, I have spoken to one, two consortia over the summer. But, for confidentiality reasons, those guys can’t be named.”

“It needs sorting out one way or the other.” “To go up automatically you look at the three clubs who have come down to go straight back out.”

“But I believe there will be at least 10 clubs battling it out to go up in what is a very competitive division. And, yes… I wish I was still in the dugout.”

We think Alan could get Newcastle promotion, if he gets to be manager and that would be if and when Barry Moat buys the club – maybe even this week.

He will need help in the dugout, and may bring in both Iain Dowie and Gary Speed to help him in the coming season. And Alan will need to act very quickly to get some decent players in to bolster the squad, before the end of the month.

But we could get a couple of players on loan, and we understand a couple of them have been agreed already with Tottenham, and we could sign a few more, while unloading some players on big wages that we don’t need or want – like Coloccini and Gutierrez as two examples.

So it still looks possible to put a decent squad together,  even with just 20 days left in the transfer window.

• Mikey25

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Hope he comes in….sooner rather than later! The annoying tw@t is on Sky Sports pretending that he talks to MA and Lamearse daily…..saying “No Friday deadline thats a false rumour, still hanging on for £100mil for the club looks like theres no changing that but MA trying to help with funding, Llamearse still in talks with 2 consortium, also non-disclosure means the camp cannot state anything other than that”

Usual rubbish

• ginkoh

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM

“Only one club in country that no new player come in” this sentence make me sick. It show how terrible Ashley is. He’s not deserved to chairman of any football club.

It’s feel like someone I beloved is dying slowly and painful and all I can do is just see them die.

• AussieToon

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Heard a very interesting rumor from a very reliable source in the media, who speaks to Socceroos (Australian football players) regularly that Mark Viduka’s transfer to Portmsouth is dead, and there are reports that if Alan Shearer is appointed manager of Newcastle within the next fortnight (yep he said fortnight) then Alan would bring Mark Viduka back to Newcastle and Mark would accept.

This was a shock to me when I heard it, and so long as Mark is a)fit and b)takes a significant pay cut, then it would be fantastic news as he would no doubt be the best striker in the Championship.

Alas though, we would need a pacey striker to play off Viduka if this were the case.

• lesh

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Negotiating with Asley must be akin to wrestling with an octopus!

He’s shake your hand minute whilst picking your pocket at the same time. Has the man any sense of decency?

• punk skunk...

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Mikey,
    they’re just deflectin’ all ‘reports/presumptions’…

…They aren’t allowed to disclose anythin’…It’s the rules & the poential buyer/s will want it that way!..

…It’s probably a bit like havin’ an aids test for them, if nothin’ happens they’ve had their rep damaged…It’s just another crappy metaphor!..

…Or is it a simily?..

• belfast toon

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I’m starting to face the truth we will not be sold until next season if even then oleary will be our next interim manager no transfers nothing to shout about. Its sad but who’d bet against it

Thanks Ashley

• Azza_Jones

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Aussie Toon thats an interesting rumor mate where did you hear that??

I honestly dont think we need Viduka. Im an aussie but I think that his best days are long gone just like I though we should have punted Owen long ago. The player which would have fired us straight back up was Oba Martins….A travesty that we let our No.9 go for just 9m! Even Beye would have stayed loyal if Shearer would have been appointed straight away.

Who the hell is accepting these offers for our players and who is advising them! They all need to be shot for letting Oba go. He is still so young and will be a force once he gains some more composure in front of goal which will come with age!

We definately need to sign a exp CB, a small pacy striker, a RM as it looks like Jonas will be leaving us (Although he did well against WBA), a RB as I dont think R.Taylor is a good defender, maybe a sub at best!

We need to flog Collocini. I hope Enrique stays. Duff and Smith will be world beaters in the championship and if they can accept a pay cut this year in view of a bonus if we get promoted then they would really help us…

S. Taylor should be our captain as he is the only one who really cares and he will play for England one day. Dont forget that he is playing in a position where players dont get great until about 25 and up. He has so much experience and still so young. If he left there would be a riot and his comments about the club being a JOKE are spot on!!!!

I thought him and Bassong would have been our Ferdinand and Vidic or Terry and Carvalho CB combo in future years but they wighning french prat is off and like zog I say 8mil is a fair price for a relegated club!

The pain of all this crap is killing me, why cant he just sell up piss off and let us try and make a fresh start in the championship!

Its hopefully going to be nice to be challenging up the top of a division again!

• davis_toons

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM

3 AussieToon

I hope what you have said was true. But we knew its was not going to come true.

• chuck

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM

He had his shot and blew it, eight games with one win, what does that say.
    So stop the lobbying for the job it`s embarrassing.
    Must have scared the sh*t out of MA with his wish list of new faces plus i am sure his wage demands were substantial.
    We will probably find someone desperate enough to work for peanuts a recycle job like O`Leary, god help us!
    Shearer aint gonna happen unless the club gets sold and there`s zilch chance of that happening, unless MA gets desperate .
    As long as Scunthorpe dont give us a hammering or Blackpool maybe.

• chuck

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I wish Shearer would just do his job as a pundit and stop lobbying for the managers job, it`s becomming embarrassing.
    He had his shot and blew it and it is obvious if MA wanted him he would be in charge.
    His wage and wish list probably decided his future , though if the club were sold he has a shot.
    Then there`s little hope if any of that happening
    Probably end up with MA and some recycled guy desperate for a job and willing to work for crap wages, O`Leary possibly, god help us.

• chuck

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Ooops ! sorry, thought the first rant was`nt successfull.

• LBToon

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Reality Check: Not convinced Alan S is the right person for the team. His appointment would give us a great lift in the short-term, but over the course of a long season, not sure. He is an unproven manager. This is taking nothing away from him. He will one day be a legendary manager at St. James, complimenting his status as the best player in team history.