Newcastle Players Determined To Make A Difference This Season

Shola Ameobi has come out today and said that the Newcastle players will continue to ignore the ongoing farce at the Tyneside club and do something to relieve the depression on Tyneside. That sounds good.

shola ameobi_543604

Shola Ameobi – players determined to produce this season

Newcastle started their attempt to make an immediate return to the Premier League with a decent 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion last weekend, and to most fans the performance was good, given all the stupid goings on at the club this summer.

Despite their failure to start the Championship campaign with a win, the manner in which they secured a point was finally some cause for encouragement after such a depressing summer.

And Ameobi believes Newcastle’s players have now become immune to the continual controversy surrounding owner Mike Ashley and his attempts to sell the Tyneside club.

“The players that have been left behind have character and we are determined to make the best out of a bad situation,”

“We are going to need plenty of that this season, we have to keep that up. We’ve got to be strong and concentrate on what we can do to improve things at this football club.”

“Everyone wants to see how we are going to react to relegation. But as players we know we have to stand up for ourselves and show what we are about on the pitch.”

“It doesn’t matter what else is going on, the only place we can do anything to show people that we’re not feeling sorry for ourselves is on a match day.”

“It’s been good to see how the lads have pulled together in the dressing room in the circumstances. The players can’t affect anything to do with the takeover.”

“Whatever goes on outside, it will happen. Things will get sorted eventually, we just have to focus on what we have to do and that’s win games. It’s been a good start, not a great start, but there is something to build on and that is the pleasing thing.”

Well that’s good if the lads can do that, because they certainly didn’t do it last season, and their lack of fighting spirit was one big reason we ended up relegated.

We also got the interviews before the games last season saying how they were going to do this that and the other, and they ended up doing none of it, and far too often let the points drift away, and of course the club paid for that dearly with relegation.

And the 27-year-old striker looked like he was on his way out of the club last summer, but was given a new 3 year deal by then manager Joe Kinnear last year.

But Ameobi is not an automatic choice, and this season he will need to prove he can knock in the goals in the Championship, if he is going to have an extended run in the first team.

Shola continued:

“I’m feeling stronger than I have done in a while. I’ve had a good pre-season and although I got the flu towards the end, it’s been good for me to get that under my belt.”

“It was tough at time against West Brom because I hadn’t really trained the week before, but we haven’t got many players and we have to dig in out there.”

“I hope my physical problems are behind me now because it has been one thing after the other for me the last few years. I just want to stay healthy and help the team get out of this league.”

Goals will be what we will be looking for from Shola this season, and he also needs to use that big 6’2″ frame of his, to make himself known in the penalty box.

We don’t know if he can form a successful partnership with young Andy Carroll up front, but we also have 18 year-old Nile Ranger waiting for his chance, so Shola will need to keep looking over his shoulder this season.

But banging those goals in is what we all want to see from the 27 year-old Geordie lad.

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Shola needs to grow a heart and defend corners better.

He was at fault for leaving Martis for both the initial corner then the follow in, also I remember last season at Stoke he left Faye alone too. Looking at the replays closely he looks hesitant to defend corners. Not good enough.

Ranger should be partnering Carroll for now, but we need to get in and get Lovenkrands back ASAP. A pacey striker like him, next to Carroll would be exciting in the Championship.

Guess what Mike, Lovenkrands is FREE! Go and get him you fat gumpus piece of shite!

• Mark-o

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Bllody hell!! Shola is 6’2″ and 27 years old, same as me! and im twice the player he is!!!
    Agree with you Aussietoon Lover-Lover Krands was class when he played for us, however dunno why Xisco isnt given a go at CCC level, might be good for him.

• Ericles

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Agree about going after Lovenkrands for free asap.

• reetpetite

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

aussietoon= Carrol wouldnt be exciting in my sunday league!!

• Rodzilla

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

…blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah – words into action, young Shola.

• tomleazes

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM

We seem to hear this kind of talk from Shola quite often,but he never seems to perform accordingly.A bloke his size should put himself about a bit more:so what is wrong with him?

• batty

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

isnt Lovenkrands back at rangers

• SpartanChris

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

So why did they not make a difference last season?

• SpartanChris

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I’d rather see Ranger and Ameobi play together than Carroll – I think he’s absolutely pants!!!

• jordi

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM

The only explanation I can think of is that the players must be contractually obliged to spout crap.
    Every time I hear how “We need to live up to the fans expectations.” (Which is the basic gist of every interview with every player) I just think, well shut up and get on with it then.
    Stop making oblique references to troubles off the pitch affecting performances on it, we know the situation is beyond belief but anyone with an ounce of personal pride would be grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and busting their gut to get something out of the 90 minutes. At teh moment far too many players are going through the motions and then talking about how much effort they put in and how important it is to them.
    Prove it, you overpaid, underperforming, gutless shower of @@@@.

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

reetpetite – your lack of knowledge in anything to do with football astounds me.

Carroll will be a beast in the Championship, then with further development in this year and getting a couple of players that can actually cross the ball he will terrorise defenses all around the world.

A guy that tall, who is that brave and has that much skill, good luck trying to stop him.

• jordi

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM

AussieToon

I agree that Carroll will be good in the CCC.
    IF we get someone who can cross a ball down the wing…

I would like to see Ranger get 20-30 mins at least next game. If anyone knows Chris Hughton can they write that on the back of his fag packet for me? Ta.

• doofa the loofa

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM

same old shite……….

• Darling27

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM

It’s got to be Ranger & Carroll for me. We must sign up Lovenkrands again.

YES MIKE ASHLEY HE’S FREE!!!

Batty he’s currently training with Rangers to keep his fitness up.

• coxonfamily

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM

YAWN! Sick of them talking… they can talk all they want they still have no creativity about them… especially Bambi! I like the way he goes on to make excuses saying it was hard against west brom coz he hadnt trained…. he didnt look any diffrent to the past 4 years… hasnt he trained for 4 years????

• premier

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Shola just any old difference not a M & S difference

• premier

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Aussie toon–can tell you watch your footie down under!!!

• Rem

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

ah shut up! this is wat they all said last season. They are all talk!

Before every match they said this BS

• magforlife

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM

27 and still not a first team regular, three goals in three seasons i believe, absolute pants at WBA but still talking to the press as if everything is okey dokey.
    Im close to breaking point as it is with this club of ours but watching this donkey toiling in our team almost explodes my head, JFK , what the hell were you thinking of giving this plonker a contract when it should have been a free transfer!

• Graeme

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Shola is so far behind Ranger in skill, pace and ability its frigtening. Carrol has more determination and desire than Shola has ever shown.

Shola will/should be on the bench.

• spiderpig

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM

shite shola makes my blood boil whenever he plays.give ranger a chance with carroll

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM

premier – what can I say man, Newcastle United is my life!

After family and friends of course 😉

This whole situation is absolutely beyond a joke. Everyone who knows me was at one stage was ridiculing me, now they just shake their heads and say “what the hell is going on?”. They feel sympathy for us. I hate that.

It is the most amateurish exhibition of incompetence I have ever seen. Local teams here in Australia act more professionally than the hierarchy that are at our great club. Our once great club.

I have faith we will be back. It’s the only thing I have left, faith. If Mike Ashley remains in charge though, that faith I have may dwindle away into insignificance, just like our great club……

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Aussie,
    soz mate, but wba scored from a free kick, not a corner bro!..
    …A free kick that was never a free kick, i hasten to add, how typical!..

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

punk skunk, yeah whatever mate, I meant to say in defensive set play situations, corners, free kicks, rory delay type throw ins, whatever….!

Whatever it is you can see him just not wanting to be in a contest. I find it very weak. He leaves his man wide open for situations like that. It pains me that he has done it right throughout his career and it has not been rectified.

It kills me!

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Cool Aussie,
    i agree mate…
    …I was just bein’ pedantic…

…It’s a far cry from Shearer get his heed on every corner etc, isn’t it?..
    …Good to see Carroll tries to do that…Big tall strikers job at free kicks, corners etc…Get front post, heed it away!..

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

*gettin’

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I totally agree with you mate.

Well said.

Oh for those days to return 🙁

Whats your take on what will happen mate?

• tomleazes

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hi chaps
    First time logger
    Just had to come on and say that Shola does not warrant a place in the team ahead of Ranger who,in my opinion,will at least generate a bit of exitement when he receives the ball.

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Aussie,
    I’m almost losin’ the will to give a F… bro’…

…’cos, tbh, if it’s a matter of a lousy £10m or somethin’, on a £100m deal, i find that v. worryin’ indeed!..
    …It’s like not buyin’ that car y’really want ‘cos the guy won’t drop the price a £100, knowarra mean?..

• SamQ

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Reetpetite- You are a sad sad little man. You look like a fool boy….now knob off!

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I feel the same pain my man…..

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Aussie,
    i think i’m gonna emigrate to oz & start supportin’ the Jets at this rate!..
    🙂

• AussieToon

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I’m from Melbourne, so I am a Melbourne Victory fan myself, although I know a few of the guys who will be running the new Melbourne club coming in next season, so I may follow them, and maybe do some work for them.

Haven’t totally got into the A-League to be honest, maybe i will with the new Melbourne team.

I just want to see my beloved Newcastle United at St.James’ Park in front of 53,000 fans chanting in the Premier League……I will be coming the start of next season so hopefully I get my wish. Knowing my luck, I will be able to see them play Leyton Orient in League One 🙁

Cannot wait for some bloody news, C’mon Ashley….

• punk skunk...

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Keep the faith Dood!..

…We’ll be back!..

…Go Melbourne!..

• Mark-o

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

the only problems he’s had is putting one foot infront of the other!!

if he was a racehorse he would have a bolt in the back of his head and legs turned into glue!!!

• Born Again Geordie

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I agree we need Lovenkrands back providing ammunition for Carroll and Ranger up front. Shola son you need to stop the talk and walk the walk !