Duff Expects Ireland To Bounce Back Against Cypress

Ireland were hammered 3-0 in their friendly game against Australia on Wednesday night as they prepare for next month’s key World Cup qualifier against Cyprus.

damien-duff-99

Damien Duff – expects Ireland to be OK for Cypress game

While it was never a 3-0 game, Ireland had their chances but didn’t take them, and suffered a big defeat before they have to get back to World Cup qualifying against Cypress.

Duff said after the game:

“It is a disappointing result that we probably didn’t deserve, we had a few chances but it’s good to get it out of the way and move on,”

“We’ll just look at it as a blip in a pre-season friendly more or less, obviously the competitive stuff starts in three to four weeks (against Cyprus) and that’s the result we want.”

“We know we’ll be better in a few weeks’ time when we play Cyprus,”  “Reflecting on play I don’t think it was a fair result.”

“I think we had a few chances ourselves, we’re all disappointed but we’ll kick on and bounce back next month.”

Duff  was withdrawn at half-time after feeling ill during the day, and striker Kevin Doyle suffered a groin injury just before he was due to come off at the break.

Doyle said after the game:

“It was nice to play 45 minutes, but I think I’ve done something to my groin,”

“I’m not sure but hopefully it is nothing too serious, it was the last 30 seconds of the half and I was coming off anyway so I just hope it is nothing too serious.”

Ireland are a point behind Italy in their qualifying group but have played a game extra.

With just three games to go Giovanni Trapattoni’s side still stand more than a decent chance of qualifying for South Africa next summer, but they will meed to improve their finishing if they are to succeed.

• HalftimeBovril

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Just thought i’d kick things off by wishing big Al a very happy birthday

• King Bob the first

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Sort the spelling out, bloody annoying.

• AussieToon

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Another depressing article really.

I want to know who exactly was on Shearers list. This guy his highlights on youtube are pretty impressive.

I pray we can get Shearer in asap. He has some targets that we all do not expect and these types of signings will take us far.

Per Ciljan Skjelbred is the one we should get straight away. Is a fan of Newcastle and I heard (don’t remember where) that he was playing when we got relegated and when he found out he was emotional on the pitch, showing his frustration. Imagine if he played for us?

I just want this to end, is it too much to ask?

• lesh

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I wonder how Ireland would fare against Cyprus?

Or can I not see the wood for the [Cypress] trees?

• Nobby_Long

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Duff expects to bounce back against a tree ….lol

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Benny Hill dressed up as Nina Mascarra. TV Heaven.

• Ashton

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Who gives a shit about Ireland ??

• lesh

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I think Ed’s been listening to Astral Weeks when he’s written this one.