The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Nolan Praises Great Youngsters At Newcastle

10:41 am, Saturday, August 15th, 2009 by Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Kevin Nolan has today talked about Newcastle’s paper thin squad and he hopes new players will be brought in but also has faith in the youngsters already at the club.

kevin nolan -442288217

Kevin Nolan – great confidence in youngsters at Newcastle

Andy Carroll should get a good ruin of games this season and others like Nile Ranger, Kazenga LuaLua and Tamas Kadar should also see some first team action.

Kevin believes the club’s rising young stars have brought some welcome optimism to St James’ Park, which is needed right now, to be sure:

“The kids are going to be really important,” “We want to do a bit of transfer dealing and it would be good to get a couple of new faces in.”

“That is a big, big thing for us. We need more players, the squad is too small.” “But we do have a group of very good kids around us.”

“Having said that, we can’t just throw them in, some would be able to handle it, but we don’t want to be ruining young careers.”

“We want to bring them through at the right time or it can do lasting damage. We want them to be surrounded by senior players so we can help them when they are in the team.”

“Tim came in against West Brom with a lot of weight on a young man’s shoulders but he proved that he is ready,’’ “He is going to be pushing Steve really hard and I’m just delighted for him. He works hard and he has a real swagger.”

“He’s going to be a really good goalkeeper.” “I like his confidence and full marks to the lad, he was fantastic for us. He has been outstanding in training.”

Nolan is a big fan of Andy Carroll, and he thinks the youngster could get lots of goals this year with a run of games under his belt:

“I think with a run of games he’s going to score goals. He’s a handful.

“Hopefully he’ll get that run. I think he knows this is his time and he’s got to work his socks off this year to make sure he produces.

“Nobody’s going to make it easy. He’s at that age now where he needs to play games. I think Andy’s going to be able to handle it.”

Certainly goalkeeper Tim Krul was magnificent in our first game last Saturday, and that has to give hope to our other youngsters at the club, who must take their chance when they get it this season.

It will be interesting to see which ones will have taken their chances come next May.

Tags: Kevin Nolan · Newcastle News · Tim Krul

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slam Dunc // Aug 15, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Good point raised here.

At what point might the FA intervene in the destruction of a major football club under it’s governance:

Time for the FA to act and give Ashley a warning about asset stripping

• 2 Lew Davies // Aug 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Nolan-“The kids are going to be really important,”
    He would say that being as there’s no one else left.

• 3 G 2 // Aug 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Nolan is crap and should be replaced by Barton.

Ameobi is useless and is not good enough to clean Rangers boots. We will lose today.

Ashley out.

• 4 Here We Ngo Baheng // Aug 15, 2009 at 10:58 AM

“A couple of new faces in” – I seriously hope it’s more than that or is that confirmation that Ashley staying will only result in 3 loan signings.

• 5 Monster // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM

It’s been said loads on this blog and it’s so true – Carroll and Ranger should be starting up front. Starting with Ameobi is just plain daft. We’d be better off starting with 10 men. What are the odds that he’s actually going to have one of those good games he has? I could probably count the good games he’s had on one hand – and he’s 27.

• 6 Geordie-Gerrard7 // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM

do we recon taylor is off then lads? i remember some tools on here slating taylor and saying he should go, along with carroll, taylor is my favourite player.

can i just say, for those of you who started slating danny simpson, can u fcuk off and give the lad a chance, he is quite a good full back, who is very quick and bombs forward.watch him be one of our best players.

team id love today.

————————–Krul/harps——————–
    simpson———–taylor——Kadar————-jose
    —————————-Smith————————-
    Jonas——————————————–Lua-lua
    ————————Nolan—Barton—————–
    —————————–Carroll———————–

• 7 Ericles // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I suppose we will have Ryan Taylor on the right wing today when it should be LuaLua, and I bet we have Nolan instead of Barton. Will Simpson debut or sit on the bench? OK Nolan – youngsters should play. I agree, but will Hughton give them a chance. No, he will choose you instead. Enough said!

• 8 Fostino // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

despite all the exodus of players….id be glad to see colocinni, GEREMI and all talk and no action players: ryan taylor and kevin Nolan

xisco, butt & ameobi arent essential either

replacements are badly needed too tho

• 9 Mac // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Well my gambling has started,Enrique to score first 40/1. A coupon. Newcastle full time half time. God it’s costing me a fortune to pass the time. Sod it i’m going to the pub

• 10 Monster // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Geordie-Gerrard7 – I like that formation but I’d be very surprised if Kadar started or if we only played one up front. If we start with one striker then expect to see Nolan behind them. It’ll be interesting to see who does play. Lua Lua should get a game as Duff probably won’t be playing… I reckon we’ll see

Harper
    RTaylor-STaylor-Coloccini-Enrique
    Barton-Nolan-Smith-Jonas
    Carroll-Ameobi

That’s what I reckon we’ll see anyhoo. I’d prefer Geordie-Gerrard7′s lineup though. (especially if both Krul and Harps start in goal) :/

• 11 Bill F // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM

As we seemed to have moved on several threads since my first comment of today, I thought I would repeat it. I don’t necessarily want replies but I do like to have some input that is read.

Premier league starts today and the likes of Hull, Wigan, Burnley, Stoke, Fulham are taking their place at the top table and we are miles away from the salt. Hands up anyone who feels somewhat p*ssed off.
    Also just what has happened to all of those supposed buyers, Moat appears to be a dead duck now. The best we can hope for is that Ashley (still?) wants a successful club and actually has some sort of coherent plan to achieve this. Although his cunning plan is not to obvious at the moment.

• 12 Monster // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Does anybody on here reckon we’ll miss Duff? I’m not his biggest fan and he’s on massive wages but I’m just worried that without a replacement we’d be much better off keeping hold of him…

• 13 Monster // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Bill F

Yeah I’m pissed off. I’m sure every single geordie out there is.

The way I look at it I think our only way out of this mess would be for a multi-billionaire type to come in and buy us, but that’s just not going to happen. A buyer like Moat could come in with all the good intentions in the world but would be absolutely screwed by the state of the club’s finances. Alternatively we need Ashley to have some sort of epiphany and start doing what’s best for the club.

• 14 Geordie-Gerrard7 // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

monster- ill miss duff, i liked him. not the greatest player in the world, and its a good deal for a 30 year old, lost pace, and las year of contract

• 15 batty // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

aye bill proper p:ssed off and its all down to 1 man not fred shep kinnear keegan shearer its down to fat ash end of

• 16 Fostino // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM

i was keen to see duff offloaded to be honest, were getting 4 m for a 30 yr old thats past it and as a winger who cant take on people which is what modern football needs, plus id say he was one of the highest earners at the club so i am happy to see him leave

• 17 NotAGhostToon // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Duff seems to be the only one left with any sort of flair, obviously he’s no ronaldo but he could be great in the championship. Also although he’s only scored 6 in his whole time, he can definately finish if he gets in the right position, his problem is due to his pace he gets quite heavily marked and struggles to get away without turning, but i still think he’s one i’d like to keep.

• 18 Monster // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I defo agree that it’s a cracking deal for Duff, £4m. I must admit I’m quite surprised how well we’ve done for fees received to date. I’m just worried that with an already thin squad we’re going to miss him this season cos let’s face it – it’s not very likely any replacement is going to be brought in so that £4m means nothing really.

• 19 Geordie-Gerrard7 // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:31 AM

im desperado for us to get beckford, anyone see his two auwesome finnishes last weekend

• 20 Mac // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Well Sky sports have confirmed Duff is in London now to finalise his move to Fulham

• 21 belfast toon // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Can’t wait to hear the entrance music today we back lads battle wounded, we’ve lost done good men over the summer but I can’t hear the roar!!

Howay the lads

• 22 Mac // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM

So let me get this straight. We’re in the championship,we play more games, Last season our squad was too small. So game 2 of our new season and we’ve lost Owen,Viduka,Duff,Bassong,Beye,Capacca(so what) Edgar and Martins and replaced them with Simpson. Somethings not quite right there.

• 23 magforlife // Aug 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Hope Ashley gets both barrels off the fans today, nothing like a face to face to get the message home.

• 24 stk85 // Aug 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM

thats an interesting article about if the fa will intervene,

however, dont have kittens at this, but i dont believe ashleys pocketing anything and if he has, hardly anything,

there is a massive black hole in our finances through shepherds speculative forward spending when credit was readily available. i believe all this money we have bought in has gone to pay back the loans we have

or they have gone to ashley to pay back this 100 mill interest free loan to nufc.

either way, he’s hardly getting rich off us, but just coz his plans gone tits up does not mean he still has to be such an arsewipe in taking our club down in the meantime.

the youngsters are the bright spots of the club and i cannot wait to see krul, tavernier, kadar, tozer, adjei, vuckic, ferguson, lua lua, ranger and carroll all hold down regular spots in our team. vuckic will be immense.

now, mike, please, for teh love of all thats holy, appoint a manager and discuss transfers and players that aren’t going to break the bank without a sheik bankrolling them. you wanna follow teh arsenal model, then do it right, u f****** oaf!

• 25 Isaac Hunt // Aug 15, 2009 at 12:19 PM

…. for the love of Mike? :)

• 26 stk85 // Aug 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM

i dont think you’ll find anyone with a love for mike, save his family, and i bet they’d be pushing it at best

• 27 geordie deb // Aug 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Slam Dunc
    ‘Time for the FA to act and give Ashley a warning about asset stripping’
    I would imagine they may want to have a word in his ear regarding bringing the game into direpute but I can’t believe they could prove asset striping. He is doing what we all wanted and clamoured for towards the end of last season and after relegation, he is selling the highly paid players on exorbitant wages that we can no longer afford or the players on low wages ie Bassong that we can get a good wedge of cash for. WE can’t turn round now and claim asset stripping when it’s obvious that it’s the only way to bring down the costs. I agree we need to see some movement in the other direction with players coming in but haven’t we seen the start (hopefully) with that yesterday with the young lad on loan and hopefully that will be followed up with several more coming through the door if he stays ? If Moat comes in, what with his begging bowl at the bank to get the money to buy us, I can’t see much being available to fund transfers so we will no doubt have a similar situation of loan and low priced players coming through the door.
    Anyway it’s match day, so predictions anyone?

• 28 pubcat // Aug 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I would like us to keep a nucleus of senior players, who the owner (be it MA or someone else) and whoever is the manager – refuse to sell under any circumstances! Personally, I’d keep -

Harper
    the Taylors
    Enrique (in spite of the wages)
    Nolan
    Smith
    Guthrie
    Amoebi (not because I rate him, but out of necessity)

I’d let them know personally just how important they are to the cause. I’d probably keep Xisco too, who might still come good. And NONE of the youngsters should be allowed to leave over the next couple of years if at all possible.

Butt, Geremi, Gutierrez (with some reluctance), Barton (though I change my mind over Barton every day), Colo, Duff etc could be allowed to let go if the offer is right. Well, Duff’s already gone aye but.

Then get in as much as we can for now, especially year-long loan deals for more young players and buy a smattering of experienced ones even if we are still in this limbo state!

previous post: Hughton Hails Newcastle’s Magnificent Fans

next post: Is Andy O’Brien Coming Back To Newcastle?