Chris Hughton Pleased With Things – So Far

Chris Hughton has talked today about Newcastle’s decent start to the season, and he says he’s pleased with the way things have gone so far.

chris-hughton-794658900

Chris Hughton – pleased with the way things have gone

Hughton told the Shields Gazette today:

“It’s very satisfying, not so much for me, but for the group of lads in the dressing room,”

“We all know what the club means and what has happened. There have been some difficult times, and there have been lots of rumours which are unsettling for the players.”

“We’ve had to work through it all. They’ve been excellent through all of that. I think for the players, it’s incredibly pleasing.”

“It was an exciting game which would have been great for the neutral, and anybody who watched it on TV. Reading certainly played their part.”

“They’re a young side and played with plenty of energy. They’ll be right up there and battling for promotion.”

“Towards the end of the game we looked confident, but we know every game will have its own obstacles, and I’m sure Sheffield Wednesday (on Wednesday night) will be very difficult.”

There’s no doubt the players have done well in their first two games in the Championship and we’re currently 3rd top.

We need another win on Wednesday night at home against Sheffield Wednesday, and if we can beat Crystal Palace in London on Saturday afternoon, we’ll be in very good shape indeed.

Then we’ll have to hope that Mike Ashley is on his way by then.

• komfort

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:28 PM

i’m having £25 on wednesday to win …so there’s another 3 points in the bag. it’s going to cost me a small fortune but i’ll have us promoted by easter…

• Toon_Army

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Fight in the Arena…

Fight other Gladiators daily, get bonus rewards and build your warrior…

Nice Free Flash game…

• Tino 11

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM

komfort – you going for the old “whatever i bet on the opposite happens” trick! Interesting, it might just work! We could maybe get a fund going on here for you in case you run out! 🙂

• tino97

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Hughton done well. I hope we can push on to beat Sheff Wed, you can’t afford to take your foot off the pedal in this league. You always feel with us, that we are one bad result from disaster. I would like to see Campbell partner Taylor at the back. Would be good for us.

• komfort

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM

thanks for the offer tino11 but i’m fine …. i sell the big issue…

• sahota

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I think main thing should be a win on WED. Its always good to get as many points as possible on a good run as you never know when the downward trend will start. As in such a long season there will always be UPs and DOWNs. So we should take advantage of this situation and get back to back 2-3 wins. So we should win next 2 matches atleast. Currently players seems to be motivated somehow and want to put 100%. Might be they are shamed of what happen in premier league. Whatever it is, get us 2-3 more wins guys back to back.

• roscoe

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Bookies are often correct…

Why is cardiff manager Dave Jones 2nd Favourite?

• batty

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM

komfort u better keep of my patch i sell the chronicle

• Doocey

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM

A lot of credit is due to Hughton. Very loyal, and a nice guy. Clearly shown amongst the players.

• Waddles mullet

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Roscoe.
    Ash won’t pay compen so would not read into it if I were you

• lesh

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Well said Doocey.

There’ll be some who’ll emerge from this with a lot of credit and this guy sits top of the pile for teh way he’s conducted himself in an awful situtation.

Believe me, it’s not easy trying to keep morale up when the business is crumbling around you and you’ve got absoulutely no influence on the outcome.

I’m sure he’s been tempted to walk but seems to have resisted taking the easy way out.

As said earlier, Hughton deserves a medal after all of this.

• toonsy

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Kudos to Hughton. In my opinion he’s kept everything that he can control together as best he can. It must be disheartening for him to not have any control over what squad he gets to pick from next match. I only hope that if/when we get a permanent manager that whoever they are keeps Hughton as his his assistant.

On a sidenote, Calderwood seems to be doing his best n’all.

• Geordie Billums

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Hughton seems to have got them playing as a bit of a team. I think with all the mess, the players are actually enjoying just playing football.

I like having two big forwards and it showed if you put good crosses in we will score goals…. long may it continue

Clarity on the whole situation is needed, but lets be honest we have not had that for ages.

I also found this comment on Sky Sports, could be rubbish. But from what I have seen a tricky little player and could do a job.

toon toon

• coxonfamily

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM

didnt realise pompey were in talks with jonas…. least they know whats happening with our players 🙁

• Bill F

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Komfort, you might not need to use that ploy anymore. I reckon Wor Sir Bobby might be using his charms on the other side to win over Lady Luck. 😉

On the possible Taylor transfer, if MA is hated now, he won’t have seen anything if it goes ahead. I aint a violent man but I would find restraint difficult if I was in his presence. I would suggest you back against someone chinning him Komfort, if you see what I mean. 😉

• Dragonera

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Ashley is asset stripping. Even i can see it now. DIsgraceful

• Stuart79

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:04 PM

What’s gannin on with Bazza?

He getting this loan or what?

Com eon Barclays!

I’ll never slag bankers off again.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Full marks to Hughton, goes without saying he has been the Toon savior. My only worry, Bill F, is whether our mild mannered janitor could restrain himself from consulting his Hong Kong Book of Kung Fu if he ever found himself within striking distance of the great oaf that is called Ashley… Ooo! Ooo!!

• AndyNUFC

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Ermmm is it just me who would kind of like to see Gutierrez and Coloccini stay for another season?

Ok, maybe not Gutierrez. I really can’t defend him anymore, he really has to work on his final ball, or atleast, be played in a more comfortable position for him. There must be something about him if he can still get games for Argentina!

Anyway I thought Coloccini had a good game against Reading. I really don’t understand how people think, we’ll sell Colo and bring in Campbell, sorted. That leaves us with 2 centre backs. Taylor and Campbell, with Campbell being quite injury prone.

So yeah, i’d keep Jonas, Coloccini and Enrique. If anything sell Duff and Nolan, and bring in Campbell, Skjelbred and a winger and left back. Oh and a striker. Any suggestions? We can’t afford to sell all these players, we won’t have any left!

• The Alchemist

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM

We should keep Nolan him and R taylor actually had relegation clauses in their contracts. We should keep colo and get campbell in. Colo is rarely injured and will be needed for cover. His value can’t drop anymore! Guti did play the ball to the near post loads of times but we dont have a small owen-esqe striker to get in front of the defender and tap it in!

Guthrie can play right wing when he gets back, sign campbell and skeljbred, we will then need 2x cover wingers, 1x pacey skriker (beckford??), 1x back up lb, and bonus would be another cheap, up and coming cb in the mould of bassong.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The really good thing today is the amount of positive craic on here today for a change and lets hope it can continue. There are some good points being put across regarding the likes of CH and Jose as well as others. About time.

What I would like to see bearing in mind I cant see it happening is with so little time left in the window stop the player exodus no matter who it is as I feel even the likes of Geremi who is on too much money will not be sold and the only players who will leave are the better ones. So this would dent our numbers and be maybe too detrimental to our progress.

Take players on loan and freebies including Campbell P.A.Y.P. deal for experience, Lovernkrands as he is slightly versitile and look at who else is available, the likes Hamann (just a name not saying yes).

Slowly blood some of the youngsters as we go, like Kadar, Lua Lua, Ranger, Inman, Vuckic but not chuck them in at the deep end.

SO in short

1/ Stop the exodus
    2/ Bring in frees and loans on our terms
    3/ SLOWLY give the kids a chance

Not rocket science and maybe slightly stateing what a lot of people feel but thats my take any how.

• AndyNUFC

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Can people think of suitable free agents for us to sign? I would definitely sign Campbell, and actually, if we could get Hamann on a PAYP deal and loads of bonuses to make sure he will come. He’s a very experienced and actually, quite decent player. Would be great in matches if we’re 1-0, 2-1 up with 15-20 minutes to go and we just need someone to settle the play down and keep the ball.

• batty

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Dragonera // Aug 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Ashley is asset stripping. Even i can see it now. DIsgraceful
    <<<took u long enough lol

• RyanToon

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM

geordiegerrard

what happened to the 5pm announcment?

• MacToon

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM

5pm tomorrow or the day after or…….

• batty

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM

this fckin takeover is like an ariston

• MacToon

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM

It’s like waiting for a xmas present as a kid, you either get the bike you always dreamed of or another pair of socks!

• belfast toon

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Or a pair of longsdale socks

• punk skunk...

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Pleased with CH so far!..

…Just keep it all together Chris!..Like the way he avoids the media hoo har about the sale/no sale!..
    …Well done!..

• Waddles mullet

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Ryan

I think GG7 said shepherd was coming back.

I don’t thinks myself.

Like i said this morning foreigners were supposed to be shown around this morn but mate did not see them himself just like the last time it was chinks being shown round.

Could be spin

• SpartanChris

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Whatever happens re the takeover, its still the same old story that we are scraping around close to transfer deadline day for the scraps that no-one wants and will probably pay over the odds for them ala Xisco.

• OHurley

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM

First- Full marks to Chris Hughton who has stood up and been the picture of calm and focus throughout a tumultuous time at this club. He’s really kept the players together and I think he deserves as many pats on the back as can be given.

Second- would love to see us sign Sol Campbell. I think he may not hack it much more in the EPL with all the pace and finess, but in terms of being a physical powerhouse, he’s still got it. He’s old, yes, but I think he’s still got what it takes (esp for the fizzy pop league).

Third- if we DON’T sign Skjelbred, I’ll be pissed (angry, not drunk. Although… ). This lad deserves to get his shot at Newcastle. Also, I’m going out on a limb here in stating that I fully believe that Skjelbred can play on the wing better than anybody we’ve currently got. I’d be interested to see. We need a good versatile player like that. Maybe he can even bang in a goal for us.

• batty

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM

i know hes doing a decent job but come on lads its a lot easyer leauge than the prem and we did beat a very youg team on sat so no need to over do it

• punk skunk...

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Aye, true batty, but the way he’s just got on with the job is admirable, isn’t it?..
    …& deserves credit!..

…He doesn’t get drawn into the turmoil bullsh, so many would, pro attitude, worthy of praise!..

• punk skunk...

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Shit!..
    How many times is that tw@ s bird @ the mirror rag gonna try & quosh any good feelin’?..

…stick y’ platitudes where the sun don’t shine!..

• Toon_Factor

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Whose the better team Sheff Wed or Reading?

• Stuart79

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Sheff Wed.

Reading could get relegated this season IMO.

• Eaststander

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Harper
    Simpson Taylor Campbell Enrique
    T.Smith Skjelbred Smith Jonas
    Beckford Carol

Subs: Shola, Barton (if he is naughty), Kadar, Krul, R.Taylor, Ranger, Lua Lua.

1 2 3 5