Hughton Pleased With Character And Resilience Of Team

Newcastle were not as good last night against the Owls as they were against Reading last Saturday, but they still managed the win.

chris hughton 123

Chris Hughton – pleased with another win

Stand-in boss  Chris Hughton was delighted with the resilience and character the lads showed last night as he said today:

“I am pleased that we have maintained the good work from Saturday and I’m equally as pleased with the manner in which we did it,”

“I don’t think we were as good as we were on Saturday when we scored the three goals against Reading but we had to look for different qualities against a very good Sheffield Wednesday side who passed the ball well and were a threat.”

“We had to show resilience and character and I think we showed that, which was very pleasing. We showed enough battling qualities to keep a clean sheet and get us over the line.”

“I thought the crowd were wonderful and their support was much appreciated. I thought it helped us get through those worrying moments towards the end of the game,”

“We most definitely don’t take their support for granted. We’ve got to give them something to turn up in their thousands for.”

“The most important thing for them is to give them a win. As long as we continue to put ourselves in a good position they will keep coming.”

As we said after the game wins are wins, and this team has to get used to doing whatever they have to get those 3 points.

And it looks like the Newcastle fans are willing to turn out in droves, if the lads continue to show the same fight and guts they’ve shown in the first 3 games, as an amazing 43,904 turned up last night.

On the evidence of last night this team are ready to do whatever it takes to win in many games this season. We just have to hope the squad is not decimated too much before the end of the month.

We’ll now have to hope the lads can find their best form at Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon, and give us another good win.

• bigted28

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM

We will get 3 points at Palace.

• Mikey25

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Good win overall, missed the game but sounded like we battled hard! Makes a nice change really but its those sorta points which make or break your season! Fingers crossed Saturday we have a new manager or atleast a new player or 2!

• Ross

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Would love 3 points at Palace like, dunno how my brain would handle it though. Knowing we were unbeaten in 4, having won 3 on the trot and seeing our name at the top of a table regardless of how early into the campaign we are would probably have me scratching my head a little like, haha

• batty

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

aye ross a na what y meen

• BT9MAG

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM

44000 is pretty special like, it was only really the upper milburn stand that was low in attendance from what I could tell, but still very impressive!

I genuinely hope, if we get a positive takeover we sell out 90% of the season and put all the prem clubs to shame!

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Exactly Ross!

Howay Lads! Keep it up!

Hopefully some sale news soon???

• the holy grail

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM

big news if its true

my mate who is a pompy fan belives al faim is in the running to buy newcastle and that is why the deal has stalled ever since ashley put it up for slae, the only reason he hasnt made a move is he has paid a deposit to the pompy board to show he is willing which he will loose if he walks away but intrestingly he gets back if peter storie the chief exec and his new consortium get the club. nufc have been aware of his intrest for a while and he is one who told lambias he will meet the 100mil, but obviously now needs to wait to get his money back.

dont shoot the mesanger but when he explained it like i hopefully did it sort of sounded plausable

• BT9MAG

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Mikey25, to be honest I don’t think we were THAT resilient ’cause they never really looked dangerous (aside from 2 shots on target)…2nd half the game just went flat and neither side did much to change it. Seemed to lift a bit with Ranger on but that might have been due to the crowd lifting as well

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

That was the problem, when the crowd were quiet, the team were flat, when the crowd lifted, the team lifted!!

• milburn

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

First game of the season ive seen as have just returned from holiday. Good battling performance. Collocini looked awful. Must keep Taylor. Fight me at http://takatreka.mybrute.com/

• will die for the toon army

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Guys I dont care if CH stays all I know we will play good football but what I know is that he will play Harper, Butt and Smith wen fit but all to be seen we will have to rest players these matches are many..

When is COLO leaving I want SOL and Taylor in the back no one will pass us for sure
    ………………………..Harper
    Simpson………Campbell……..Taylor…….Enrique

• BT9MAG

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

It was difficult to be really bouyant when we were playing negative football. We refused to attack them down the wings and there was very little movement from the forwards once Carroll went off!

Felt a bit for Gutierrez last night, every time him and Jose tried to link up last night they’d get 3 players round him in an instant, still, if we had a better right winger we could switch play and punish teams for that!

• LyNx@18

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Did you guys heard news that Bolton is preparing 2.5m bid for Jermaine Beckford? We might misse out our last target if the ownership problem still cant get solve within these few days~~~Beckford is the type of player that suit us as striker that we short of…

• batty

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

………………………..Harper
    Simpson………Campbell……..Taylor…….Enrique <<<looks good

• HalftimeBovril

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM

@ Holy Grail

With regards to the Portsmouth take over. I’m based down here now and obviously work with a lot of pompey fans and the word on the street is that the guy hasn’t the money, he’s been made chairman and was at fratton park on Saturday to watch the team so it would seem strange for him to keep turning up if he was trying to back out.

It is strange how it’s taken them so long to complete the deal, lot longer than ours. He passed the new fa fit and proper test so surely that would indicate he has the financial backing to own a club so I don’t know what the delay is.

On a side note I got a lot of stick when we got relegated, my desk was decorated in allot of Coca Cola merchandise (at least I didn’t go thirsty for a week).
    Now I keep reminding them there are only 6 league places between us and I’m just doing the research for them on grounds etc for them next season.

• Whumpie

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Another good result, but it all looks so thin! One or two injuries and we’re stuffed.

Still, I’m optimistic that things will be very different for the rest of August. Stuff genuinely seems to be happening.

One other thing: is it just me or do these victories seem a bit empty, knowing it’s against lower league teams?

I’m really jealous of the Burnley fans today. What a fantastic day for them. My new favourite prem team…

• will die for the toon army

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Whumpie, I only think of NUFC my beloved I dont even care what happens in EPL and I want is Spurs and Mackems to lose.