Crystal Palace vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Crystal Palace  .svgnufc-crest

If Joey Barton is not fit for tomorrow’s game, we expect Newcastle to field an unchanged side from the one that beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 on Wednesday night at St. James’ Park.

20 year-old striker Andy Carroll went off in that match, but Chris Hughton said the injury was slight, and we hope Andy is fit enough to play, as his partnership with Ameobi is starting to look effective.

If Andy doesn’t make it, it could be the first start of the season for Spanish U21 striker Xisco.

Nicky Butt is fit again this week for the first time this season, but it’s hard to see why Chris Hughton would break up a successful central midfield of Nolan and stand-in captain Smith.

Although havinf said that, we will need to use our substitutes, with a rush of games coming in the next couple of weeks.

There was certainly signs of tired legs in the second half last Wednesday night, and that’s one reason we have to use our substitutes in an attempt to win the game, which will not be easy, against a good Palace side.

Danny Guthrie is fit again, but we expect him to again take his place on the bench, and he could well get a start in the Carling Cup next Wednesday against Huddersfield at home.

So here’s the side we think Chris will select, assuming Barton is not fit and Carroll is.

Harper
Simpson Taylor S. Coloccini Enrique
Taylor R Smith (c) Nolan Gutierrez
Ameobi Carroll
Subs: Krul  Kadar Butt Guthrie Geremi LuaLua Xisco

Crystal Palace and former Sheffield United boss, Neil Warnock, may also be tempted to name an unchanged side for Saturday.

The Eagles are still without striker Stern John, who was injured just half an hour into his debut, in the opening game of the season two weeks ago.

19 year-old Freddie Sears – on loan from West Ham – is still looking for his first Palace goal, and Alan Lee will continue in attack.

Darren Ambrose, the former Newcastle player who was signed by Bobby Robson from his old team Ipswich, scored twice in Tuesday’s 3-1 win over Ipswich.

The bottom line for Newcastle in this game, is to get another win, but Crystal Palace will provide a stern test.

Howay The Lads!!

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM

OK Cisco’ Let’s see what yer made of.

• Steve_48

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM

And divvent slip in it

• Toon_Factor

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I really hope Hughton is smart enough to realize that Smith, Nolan, Barton and Guthrie are all better than old man Butt, he should also be stripped of the captaincy too as he is so bad, which will mean he won’t have to start ever again unless we have injuries so there will be less chance of him giving away silly penalties, free kicks, red cards and fcuk things up like he normally does! Unlike some others his supposed good attitude will not fool me! He’s awful and we need to get rid of him ASAP.

• cicero

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Is Barton’s injury real or are we just keeping him fit for his medical before his move away. We were told it wasn’t as bad as first thought and that he should be fit for the Sheffield game. If Moat buys the club and Shearer’s manager next week they’ll off-load Barton in a heartbeat so they’ll not want him picking up any injuries.

If Carroll doesn’t make Palace I would give Ranger a start, he did more in the few minutes he was on the field than Xisco did the 30 mins he was on.

• ginkoh

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Best team will win. If we show we can play decent football, no matter which team we play against. We have possibility to win.

The main important is we have to focus and play with winning attitude. Cutting edge from striker of both side will judge who deserved to get the 3 points tomorrow.

• cicero

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ambrose back at the Toon I think he could do a job down the right. Team after the window closes.

Harper/Krull

Simpson, S. Taylor, Sol Campbell, Enrique

Smith

Ambrose, Nolan, Gutierrez

Lovenkamps, Amiobe

• Danny

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM

We face the possibility of Carroll being injured and Ameobi playing with Xisco. This is a gamble, its clear that Xisco is not ready. Although Ameobi is doing very, very well at the moment, we are not dangerous enough up front.

This is why me MUST buy a striker. We have to.

• Danny

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM

AND WHERES LOVENKRANDS GET HIM BACK NOW

• Toon_Factor

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM

cicero

Ambrose has just joined Palace this season, i doubt he’ll be moving again.

• Norwegian_geordie

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

One player!

ERIK HUSEKLEPP!!
    Cheap and brilliant!

Get his mate Per Ciljan Skjelbred while you’re on the plane to Norway to pick up Erik.

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Whos going to the palace game then???

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Carroll is out I think as is Barton

Lineup willbe:

Harper
    Simpson – STaylor – Collo – Enrique
    R Taylor – Smith – Nolan – Jonas
    Ameobi – Xisco

Subs:
    Krul, Kadar, Ranger, Butt, Guthrie, Geremi, Lua Lua

• coxonfamily

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

if carroll is injured and they choose xisco over ranger again then I have to wonder why we have a youth academy…

• DJG

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM

The thing is with Xisco, having watched him in reserve matches, he can do nothing for 30mins and then suddenly turn it on. I think all it might take is one goal to get him up and running before he typically gets injured.

Is anyone else going to the Huddersfield game, i’m gonna be in the East stand towards the gallowgate. Hope theres at least 15-20,000.

• HalftimeBovril

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Odds for tomorrows game from paddy power

surley this one is worth a tenner

35/1 for Shola to score the first goal in a 2-0 victory

They had us at 25/1 for a 1-0 Shola goal for wednesday game. If Moat had stuck a few grand on that then he would’nt have need that bank loan

• DJM TOON

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

30mins to go before another supposed deadline. from being optimistuc for weeks i now fear the worst, if we dont hear anything tonight thats it, none of this business hours closed over weekend crap. MA has always said 5pm friday, and if moat is a true fan and his bid is unsuccessful… wich is most likely now, he should come out and tell us.

why would he want to wait till monday? a tough game coming up that kinda good news would lift the team and the fans.

dont fear the reaper… fear MA

this club is as good as gone… asset stripped to hell

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

So no-one going to the palace game? I’ll be there, can’t wait, another win will at least put the takeover talk out my mind for the rest of the weekend until monday!

I think Xisco might actually get a couple too, got a sneaky feeling

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM

A story about the mob.

They chose to believe everything they read, they choose to ignore the blindingly obvious in light of their need to grab at stars and dust. Their hands are empty all the same.

Billy Bunter is dead – I hoped he proved a point – as I advocated last year – await outcome and evidence alone – thereon form your opinions – for everything your read without evidence is simply tosh.

Would have been a boring few weeks without him.

• RyanToon

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

shearer

• RyanToon

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM

stardust

billy is deeed

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Ryan – he is indeed lol

• Turkish Magpie

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Have Newcastle been sold?

• maltese NUFC

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Hi, it’s Daniel from Malta again,

Just one little curiosity, that might be just a coincidence but on the official website, on the page :- Toon in Training (Pictures), Steven Taylor is nowhere to be seen and neither Chris Hughton

On the takeover situation, i wont say anything because, there have been so many false dawns, that right now i am more interested in incoming and outgoings. The squad is paper thin. we get three injuries and where done

please comment

• RyanToon

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

i liked billy lol

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

No Turkish – Billy Bunter has died though – service this weekend.

• maltese NUFC

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

• coxonfamily

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM

maltese – typical pic of jonas on their… on his arse again lol

• DJM TOON

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM

stardust… you really need to get a life… the fact your sad enough to create someone on here just hi lights what a moronic idiot you really are…

what happened, you got your p45 lately? y’know what they say, the devil makes work for idle hands

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

DJM – I am sorry your feelings are hurt – you obviously believed him woo hooo

• OHurley

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Norwegian Geordie-

You don’t have a sister in Tennessee, do you? I did some business with a pretty Norwegian girl a few weeks back who was a Newcastle fan just like her brother back home. I think her name was Hedda.

• OHurley

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Norwegian Geordie-

Also, let me highlight the absolutely CRAZY fact that she randomly came into my store and worked with me, the ONLY Newcastle fan in my entire company or any other AT&T store that I know of in all of Nashville, if not all of Tennessee lol. How serendipitous.

• OHurley

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Norwegian Geordie-

ALSO- Skjelbred would be a dream transfer. I personally rate him very highly. He’s on my team in FIFA as my RW. He’s amazing.

• Big Dave

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Stardust in my eyes you are no better than troy stavers and the rest of them idiots who come on here to bullsh1t you might try to justify it by saying its to teach people to not listen to stories but by doing that you have become no better than troy. benny. glory and all the rest of the muppets. I find it hard to believe a genuine toon fan would do that to another toon fan

• It Could Be Worse...We Could Be Spurs -DC-

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I just created my fantasy team for this season, what do you guys think?

——————-Given————–
    Beye — Bassong — Bramble — Hughes
    Milner — Dyer — Parker — N’Zogbia
    ————-Owen — Bellamy————-

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Big Dave – guilty as charged – but I would counter your argument.

Last year I advocated folks should await outcome before forming kneejerk responses, and yet a year on having been relegated folks still choose to believe absolute tosh. Their mindset is damaging the club – can I accept it No.

Do I feel bad, no, do I find it quite funny – yes, stop being so sensitive – take it in the humour it was meant – Billy Bunter – a comic (made up) character renowned for telling lies, comes onto a blog and tells inside info when he must be trying to spell that badly.

The clues were there for all to see – but again it didnt matter – folks continue to form opinions and draw conclusions on rumour and myth.

Time to support unconditionally me thinks – whatever the outcome – the thieves are long gone, an honest man in their place (for now). I am sick and tired of the fans as much as the drag on of the sale (caused by the fans)

• Stardust

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM

By the way Big Dave – I found Troys tales quite funny…and he is a good friend of mine – guess us weirdo’s hang around together.

• Tommy_PA

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Seems to me Stardust that you have only ever been involved in this blog as a method of inflating your own ego, lauding it over the “intellectually inferior” seems to be your standard position.

I don’t identify with the bedsheet brigade, I don’t identify with you, but as Big Dave intimates I too try to support all that support the Toon.

Anyway let me buy you a ticket for that big shiny red bus heading out of here.

• doofa the loofa

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM

@It Could Be Worse…We Could Be Spurs -DC-
    u on crack or wat?

• Toon1978

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

AHHHHH the big shiny red bus is now rusty with no wheels to guide us in the right direction lol.

• Turkish Magpie