Newcastle Sale To Moat Reported To Be Very Close

It’s being reported in the Daily Mail very early this morning online, that Newcastle’s Derek Llambias, has given a clear indication that Newcastle are indeed on the verge of being sold.

barry moat 23

Barry Moat – the new owner at Newcastle?

The Mail is not the most reliable source of  news, but let’s hope they’re right on this one, and we were told today is an important day for a decision on whether the club will be sold, or Ashley will keep it.

The Managing Director at Newcastle has said that the consortium being led by Newcastle businessman Barry Moat, who are more than likely to appoint Alan Shearer as manager, is now said to “there or thereabouts”.

Presumably that means that Moat has been successful in coming up with the funding, comprised of his own money, a loan from Barclays Bank, and investment said to be from the United States, to meet Mike Ashley’s price of £100M.

But of course Derek isn’t exactly the best source of real news at Newcastle either, since it was many weeks ago that he said “at least two consortia have met the £100M asking price.” That turned out to be inaccurate.

As we said, today is supposed to be a key day for a decision on the sale, so we would hope there could even be some announcement from the club, but of course we’ll not hold our breath on that.

And indeed, if the sale is imminent we would hope we are able to keep Steven Taylor at the club, unless his sale is part of the deal to improve the Newcastle books financially.

But this could become great news for Newcastle fans – we certainly  hope so.

Howay The Lads!!

• Toonmania

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM

hopefully the end is in sight, i’m probably like 99.9% of thetoon we just need this sorted NOW not next week, the sooner it gets done the sooner we can start re-building after the worst club owner in history, c’mon moat please get it sorted today
    ho’way the lads

• magpie4ever

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Lets hope this happens VERY soon LIKE TODAY. It would be nice to think we can keep who we have at the club i.e. Taylor unless the new manager (Yes a manager!!!) has other ideas, sign some players to help build on our great start and let us all talk football instead of takeovers!!!

• Norwegian_geordie

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Agree Toonmania about the sorting out.

Should AShley stay, I 4 1, don’t think that he’s the worst owner. But he just don’t seem to be making smart moves. The real jerk here I feel is Derek.. When you look at the time we had Ashley and Chris Mort.. Things looked pretty good.

I think I would actually prefer if Mike stayed and Moat his group of people came in and bought 49,5 of the shares. Moat as Chairman and Shearer as manager.

Alltough that is very unlikely…

Whatever.. Just get it sorted NOW!

• ogbell

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM

We’ve had all that “this could be a pivotal” crap so many times this summer, so I am taking this article in the Mail with a large pinch of salt. I can still see Taylor walking, Coloccini going and Gutierrez too. We need players, and free ones aren’t that hard to find if the Fat one just got his fingers out of his ears and heard what we’re all saying. Sol Campbell – FREE, Michael Ball – FREE, Peter Lovenkrands – FREE, Didi Hamann – FREE, Danny Mills – FREE. Ok, these aren’t the best, but they should all add some quality and if we gave them all 1-year contracts, and offered a promotion incentive then we’d be ok-ish. We still need a “quickie” to play next the Shola OR Carroll, so why not put his hand in his pocket and go for Beckford? His attitude is meant to be poor, but a £2.5m bid would pick him off them lot doon the A1.
    I really hope Moat can come in and do something, but it doesn’t look likely to happen any time soon in my opinion.
    We’ll lose heavily at Palace at the weekend, I can see it now. We’ll then see the state of how far we’ve come. And all the press will be ready to point that out.
    I truly hope I’m wrong butlooks like we’ve got some more heartache to come.
    Howay the Lads.

• maltese NUFC

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am Daniel from Malta, it is the first time I am using this blog.

I am a Toon Mad Fan, and I have made some research. Please click on the link below and you can find DL interview yesterday with Talk Sport

please foward it to Approxx minute 37-38

But I think it is fair to say that he says the they are negotiating with Barry Moat and with other parties but nothing is very close

2. The Supporters Cons. is unrealistic because of the time

3. He likes to think that no players will come in becasue we have the most expensive wage bill in the CCL.

please listen and I hope that something gets sorted out

Daniel Abela (Malta)

• Nick D

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:16 AM

ed
    you really have to stop putting these type of headlines out. no real basis to them whatsoever.
    always ignore the comic tabloids. best bet for a tiny grain of truth are the telegraph / times / guardian.

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Lazy journalism, this article is based on Lambias phoning BBC N’CLE sports show at tea time and reported on here by Waddles.
    The actual quote was a contradiction – “Moat is there or there abouts but two other parties are further down the line”
    What the feck is that supposed to mean then?
    Also, according to the BBC Taylor fee of 6m agreed?
    Surely Moat wouldnt sell Taylor and he himself wouldnt want to go with a new owner coming in, i am honestly pig sick of all these snippets here and there.
    Whats to stop Lambias or Ashley coming out and telling it straight for the fans sake, or is the truth so horrifying they are scared to tell us?

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Mail stole the story from Waddles Mullet on here last night.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:26 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ………………..

• magpie999

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Seriously “Are You Guys Kidding Me”

Why on earth, even if Lilambias was standing at Grays Monument shouting at the top of his voice “Newcastle to be sold on Friday”….WHY would you believe it for 1 second?????

Ashley and co are laughing their backs off at all these lemmings who beleive they are going to get at new owner.

Its not going to happen people.

We will sell Taylor, Collicini, Krul, Guiteirez, Carroll and Smith before the transfer window closes and bring in……….Nobody

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Jinkygenius – things must be bad if your down to a one liner mate.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM

….however, is it not telling that the idiotic (and insulting) braincell free ads that slow this site down are deliberately directed at Geordies? Chirst, thay dont evven thing we can spell propper iether…

‘ASHLEY SOLD 21% OF PLAYING SQUAD IN JUST 3 WEEKS BY OBEYING THIS 1 ANICENT (sic) RULE’

Worrying?

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Install add blocker plus to get rid of the ads

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM

If the Taylor stories are true then there is no way that Moat/Shearer are coming in, we are stuck with Laurel and Hardy and we are completely tom ducked!

• ObaMartins

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Norwegian_geordie >>>I think I would actually prefer if Mike stayed and Moat his group of people came in and bought 49,5 of the shares <<<are you completley INSANE ?? Ashley has run rhis Club into the Ground, Treated 2 United Legends as Muppets (Keegan, Shearer) Does not give a Shite what US Newcastle United fans think as long as he gets Our money, Made the Club a Laughing stock of Football, NEED i go on ?????

• SBR4EVA

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Those two idiots are more akin to Beavis and Buthead than Stan and Ollie.

• Johno Toon

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I guess either way the ownership issue has to be cleared up by the weekend , either way either somone comes in or ashley stays , the uncertainty kills me….but then again its ashley so prob will go on til xmas

• magpie6699

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM

maltese – thanks for the link – very interesting. What I make of it is that (assuming DL is not a total liar) a sale is a probability rather than unlikely but there are still some issues to sort, that there are at least 2 including Moat who are well down the line and that the Fanbase plan is way behind and unlikely to fly.
    As far as Taylor is concerned, all we know for certain is that other clubs are sniffing round – not a surprise. We have no idea what talks have been held or are going on. IF there is a chance of the club sale being near, I would hope that Taylor would show his so-called loyalty to the club, fans and Shearer that he has spouted about by waiting until the last minute (August 31st?) before deciding to jump ship, if that is what he has to do.

• lesh

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:57 AM

History tells us that when world war one was declared, the belief was that it’d be over by christmas 1914. Peace broke out in Novemeber 1918!

Any parallels to be drawn?

• magpie4ever

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I’m ever the optimist (well 10% of the time ;0)and I’m thinking most Solictors bank transfers go through on a Friday and as next Friday would surley be too late I’m thinking today is the day!! Clutching at straws maybe but I just have a feeling!

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM

GET IN!

Comeon Ca$hley put out your fat hand and grab the cheque.

Then get your fat ar$e out of the hotseat and get on your private helecopter, be careful flying over the toon, you might get gunned down!

The only time I wanna see a fat git like you is at christmas wearing a big read suit saying ho ho ho – NOT in a toon shirt saying no no no!

• magpie4ever

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM

@ 21

Dont expect any pressies for Christmas then if thats the case…he’d probably take your PS3 or 360 away & give you a Gameboy!

• belfast toon

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Can’t beleive these bastards are still telling us nothing!!

• nufc1818

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM

well the taylor story has disappeared from sky sports news and has not been mentioned

so i reckon someone in newcastle has denied the talks

and its not just from the mail
    llambias was talking in a radio interview and he said moat is ”there and thereabouts”
    vague i know

• Geordiedoonsooth

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM

This is the 1st time I have put a story like this on here but it’s from a very good source & I think shows what Fat B****** Ashley thinks of our club & the fans. He told Simon Jordan at Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago that he would turn St James’ Park into a car park. He won’t sell the club, he will sell all of the best players & couldn’t give a flying f*ck if we go bust.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Magforlife, thanks for the AdBlock tip, I must tweak it to blitz the whole lot. Wish I could get one for the TV as well, especially those two t**ts that advertise BT. If anything p***es me off as much as the lunatic goings on at St James’ is that advert. The amount of slippers, half eaten sarnies, comics, cushions that I would rain down on the TV set every time they would come on eventually inspired my missus to show me how to operate the remote. Great inventions, them, mind, remotes; pity there’s not a remote that would control Ashley’s helicopter…

• lesh

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM

For what it’s worth, The Times are reporting that Ashley’s heard nowt from Moat or Barclays about financiing discussions and….. wait for it…. he’s set a deadline of 5pm today otherwise he’ll take his toys off the naughty peoples and destroy them himself.

• magpie4ever

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Yawn…another deadline. When is the deadline for the next deadline?

• sahota

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Hi Everyone, seems like Mike won’t finally sell if we are not sold by end of day today. I think some hard negotiations going on between Mike and Moat.

I am mainly concerned about game tomorrow and getting few players in next week. If Mike remains as owners it will be hard to deal with it for GOD knows how many more months or even a year or longer. I really wish we are sold today and thats end of Mike’s stupidity.

• premier

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM

how many more times are you going to hear this crap–even bored with me favourite saying on here mesell so passing this time!!

• JinkyGenius

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hey, Mike, I have twenty two quid quid thirty seven pence and access to an top pie shop that has a 2for1 on pasties today. Let me know before 2pmo or the offer expires….

• Toonmania

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM

well at least we will know i suppose (as if we didn’t before)

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM

premier – were you bored with the tanking you got off Chelsea, where was your Premier crowd then?

• Norwegian_geordie

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

ObaMartins // Aug 21, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    “are you completley INSANE ?? ”

Just might be…
    I know the club hasn’t treated Keegan well. Shearer I think was going to be announced manager after the relegation, but I believe his demands were too much for the board to accept.

The reason why I would welcome a Ashley/Moat partnership is the fact that I believe we would have more money at our disposal. Ashley, if he keeps the club will problably have to invest some money, but it’s too late. If Moat came in, I’m sure Shearer would be manager, Taylor would stay, but he hasn’t said one word about transferfunds. That scares me.

Hopefully we’ll see this afternoon.. But the “deadlines” apparently from Ashley seems to be no more than “deadlies”..

• magforlife

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM

This is all part of Ashleys plan, surprised he didnt wait until the last day of the transfer window to withdraw the club for sale.
    The big crowds have turned his head and the fans have shot themselves in the foot.
    No cash spent on players, big cash coming from players sales and turnstiles, perfect for him, just like his shops i suppose.

• Micky Toon

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Birmingham is being sold for £80m. That is all. 🙂

• magpie4ever

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Quote in the Mail just now…

Llambias said he is tied by confidentiality clauses, but he is confident a sale could be completed before the end of the month.

• toonboyjake

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM

i hope we sell and MA f**ks off, he’s doing my head in every week with the whole deadlines today sh*t, Let Moat take over and put shearer in charge, let him bring some faces in and get us back into the premiership

• JinkyGenius

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM

It strikes me that all football clubs need an appropriate code of financial trading ethics that owners have to follow (like old people’s homes). If so, Ashley could be kicked out by the FA for running the club like a jumble sale and an independent executive body appointed instead to run the club in the best interest of owner, supporters and shareholders until a sale is secured – over which Ashley could have no veto.

In my dreams he isn’t just the richest tosspot in the sports world, and he has genuinely learned his lessons and is about to grasp the nettle and run the club sensibly and sustainably and keep Jonas and Taylor; but that isn’t real life, is it, mother?