Hughton Has Restored The Pride To Newcastle

Newcastle caretaker boss Chris Hughton has admitted he would take the Newcastle manager job on a permanent basis.

chris hughton -794658900

Chris Hughton – done great job – so far

Chris has been at St James’ Park for just over 18 months, but already he is in his third stint as caretaker boss, and has gone through hell and high water for the Newcastle club – talk about loyalty in times of crisis.

Of course the club’s future is yet to be resolved, and we may know better when Newcastle releases their announcement on the sale to Barry Moat, or lack thereof today.

But after 3 impressive wins Hughton has said that if he was offered the job full time – he would take it.

“If they offered me the job, would I take it? Yes, I would,” “I’m very focused. I have a responsibility with this team to prepare, with my staff, this side for football matches.”

“Management is something that has always interested me. My situation with the times I’ve managed, it’s been for a reason.”

“When I was at Tottenham, there had been a change of manager and I held the fort.”

“If the club is not sold, they will of course make a decision on who they want as manager.” “I’m happy to do that job for as long as they want.”

There’s not many fans would disagree with the fact that Chris has done great since July 1st.

Just one very dodgy result, 6-1 at Leyton Orient in pre-season, but that seems to have helped the lads gel, as Chris made it clear that pathetic performances like that one, were just completely unacceptable.

Wins are wins and we’ve had three in succession without conceding a goal, so it doesn’t get much better than that, even if this is just the Championship.

And we think Chris is capable of keeping the players feet firmly on the ground this season,  as we try to get as many wins as we can, and gain one of those two automatic places for promotion.

I’m not sure my heart would stand a play-off for promotion – not at Newcastle.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Despite Hughton’s heroics, players, staff and supporters still have a right to know what is going on, which is why Ashley takes great pleasure in not saying. A direct daily update announcement on the NUFC.co.uk website is the VERY LEAST that could be expected instead of endless speculation. If there is to be a delay, please, let us read it there FIRST and not in the tabloids or via SKY!

This type of arrogance also marked Blair’s PM years where announcements that should have been made direct to the House were spun secretly to the press. What is the price of an exclusive, one has to wonder? Whatever it is, it surely is not worth expending Ashley’s last vestiges if credibility on? If he keeps the club does he expect supporters to understand the way he has brought about this fiasco, and still rally round? We all know without Hughton we could have been floundering at the bottom, and with JFK in the wings we know where that would have lead us come May.

Civility costs nothing… IF supporters turned their backs on the club he wouldn’t get £50m for it. Does he care? Does he bollocks!! Like Robert Maxwell when his empire started turning to dust, Ashley is too busy trying to salvage something from the ruins – even if that is the knowledge he is still powerful enough to be able to piss people off. It could get much, much worse.

• RyanToon

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
    🙁

• milburn

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

That blokes yellow teeth terrify me everytime i see them !

• sahota

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Its been terrible last few months. And still looks like Mike will make us wait for longer. Also not sure about all these new bids and 2-3 parties interested, Where were they earlier. Don’t they understand that they need to buy some players and sell some. I was expecting same…come Monday, press will start talking about Wednesday or Friday…… I don’t care who is manager as long as Joe Joke is not given the job…. and we are promoted…. But its no good if we are promoted and Mike is still owner, he won’t invest anything and won’t buy any new players and we will be back in Championship again….. Com’on GOD help us…..

• will die for the toon army

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I love CH we play attacking football when has been in charge. I wld love him to stay in charge with John Craver coming too if MA stays.

I hear MOAT will get on board even if the dont sell the club

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Monster – you cant be serious! Right? I mean come on surely NOT!

Calm down, I’m only pulling ya leg.

Actually I can see MA doing this, then IF it all goes pear shaped in a couple months, will feel he is justified to bring JfK back. If not, then he has got a manager on the cheap.
    yeah, that sounds about right for tight arse.

• jckie15

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Can nobody see him selling the club?

• punk skunk...

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM

What you on about jinky, i had you down as smart…Then you come out with this ‘Blair was the devil’ crap…Are you a tory?..
    …I’m surprized by all the rank supposition in ya’ rant there dood!..
    …Oh!..I’m sure ashley has spent/wasted so much time tryin’ to figure out what best would screw us fans up…Don’t be so soft man…I’m not sayin’ the guy isn’t clueless, but to suggest this a worked out plan…At best, it’s a man fallin’ from one catastrophe to another…It would be very hard to believe anyone could be so glib…
    …Chain of events, brought on by lack of prior knowledge is way more likely!..

• shearermania

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Not a big fan of hughton but must say he managed the Barton situation very well before the first match which shows he does have man management skills as well as discipline……would rather see Shearer of course if Ma stays then a realistic appointment would be Curbishley or Coppell….for god sake not Joe Kinnear…please oh no

• baldynapper

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Posted on another place on this blog…..Interesting though??

I am not sure if this is significant but ere goes anyway.MA’s Heli pilot normally submits flight plans for benton hq or city heliport 24 hrs in advance as is the requirement for none emergency heli flights in NE airspace.No such flight plans have been submitted at any time in the last 3 days.So if MA is coming he aint doing it by his usual route.I don’t think he would need to be here either way it goes but like I say I don’t know if it means anything.

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:59 AM

punk – I think Jinky has just about had enough, like the rest of us. It has been one hell of a frustrating summer, what with all the bulls**t and rumours etc. Seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

• lesh

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Agreed punk, this is a shambles and unlike Blair, MA’s had no strategy of late.

Blair chose to communicate his messages using fair means and foul and the difference between him and Ashley is that communication’s not in his nature – he doesn’t seem to grasp its purpose and the potential benefits to be gained.

Turning to the Hughton for manager lobby – I’d stick at sayin Hughton’s done a helluva job under very difficult circumstances but he must accept that being a manager entails more than managing crises!

We need an experienced and good manager in post (note I said good so that puts JK out ofr starters) with Hughton retained to continue with what he’s shown he’s good at – coaching.

• lesh

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:06 AM

C’mon baldynapper, of course he’s not going to use his helicopter, he’s gonna speed up the A1 ala Roadrunner….., ala Llambias ala, ala, al, a, aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!

• dave 1961

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM

don’t worry i have been talking to god this morning and he told me there is no way he would let the joker come back, and anyways he would not last long if he did, he told me those wealthy Chinese are going to buy the club and buy loads of player to. i used to be a sensible business man, now i have gone mad. that Ashley blokes got a lot to answer for

• punk skunk...

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Lew,
    fair enough…Me too bro’!..
    …But i certainly ain’t gonna slide down the route/helter skelter of supposition tho’!..

…Lesh,
    aye, Blair commuicated, end of!..

…Hughton’s put in a sterling effort recently, commendable in fact, well done Chris & all the coachin’ staff!..
    …But we still need a regular manager/head coach!..

• baldynapper

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Well if he just jumps on the back of Lambs Ar$e back while he streaks up and down the A1

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Dave1691- Fingers crossed for the chinese then.
    Not holding me breath though

• JinkyGenius

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Punk, with respect, I expect a modicum of nous here! Blair ain’t the de’il, and neither is Ashley. I leave such beliefs superstitious types anyway.

However, there is a line of communication that protocol dictates – in the case of parliament it was Blair / Campbell bypassing the commons and instead of announcements to the elected representatives (MPs) major news was released to the press first, causing much annoyance. This is a fact, whether one votes Labour or Monster Raving Loony.

With NUFC, supporters (who are the source of the club’s income) are entitled as stakeholders and clients to know what is going on directly – not via SKY or Radio Newcastle or the Chronic. In normal day to day circumstances, transfers, injuries etc, OK – let the press know. But these are extraordinary circumstances which are impacting on players and fans alike.

The correct line would have been to have all press releases on NUFC.co.uk. If there is no news, a press release should say so, if there has been a delay, likewise.

Hopefully, this is clear…

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM

…….”…Like i stated, ashley more than likely had no clue what he was tryin’ to achieve or had no clue about how to achieve what it was he was tryin’ do!..

EXACTLY. (i think)

• Lew Davies

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Jinky – I agree with your last paragraph, but as a rule I keep well clear of any political discussions, as they always end in violence.

• punk skunk...

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Ta for the response jinky, & measured it is!..

…There’s a very limited amount that can be put out right now, isn’t there?..
    …Personally, i was sick to the back teeth of all the crap that ffs put out under his painful tenure…& ashley’s gone the other way, probably too far the other way…But, we did know the guy was a bit of a recluse when he bought the club, didn’t we?..
    …But i seem to remember back then, that, everyone was far more interested in how much cash he had…& we’re still(collectively) on that tip now!..

…It’s fair to say tho’, that:

…It’s a MESS!..

• punk skunk...

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Lew,
    it’s the only thing that seems to make sense, isn’t it?..
    …& i agree with your agreement with Jinky!..

…If ya’knowarra mean?..

🙂

• Whumpie

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM

While I really like Hughton and I’m grateful to him, I don’t want to get carried away. It’s not unusual for people to have a purple patch just after big changes, and in a couple of weeks things could look very different if we have just one or two bad games.

I’m not saying we will – it’s just that 4 games does not a season make.

Still rather Hughton than JFK, though. You can stick the former in front of a camera and relax that he’s going to represent the club well. You can still the latter in front of a camera and wait for all embarrassing hell to break loose.

• punk skunk...

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Sadly,
    i can’t remember Shearer’s ‘purple patch’, maybe it was the boro win, on me birthday, loved that!..Bit short tho’!..

…& whumpie, y’right, Hughton is very measured in front of the cameras & classically, doesn’t give much away!..

• lesh

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM

JinkyGenius , are you expecting Ashely, the one who actively encouraged his MD or whatever he is to run naked across SJP and in front of guests in a corporate box, to use the correct channels and protocols for communication?

A dream too far.

• Archie Brand

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Jinky
    With respect – what a load of bollocks.
    Fans – as “stakeholders” are “entitled”.
    What planet are you on?
    I thought NUSC were getting a bit above themselves but it seems its spreading.

Fans are customers at best, who have purchased either a product or service, depending how you look at it.

If you bought a 15 grand car from Nissan would you expect them to contact you directly if they were shutting the factory down or tooling up for a new model? Or would you just expect to read about it in the newspaper?

I think you will find that anything of any substance directly attributable to Ashley has been released on the official website.

The rest is garbage with no basis other than guesswork.
    So Lamearse is chatting to a reporter and says “we’re hoping something will happen soon”. Hardly worhty of a press release of official announcement.

What everyone is complaining about is that there is no comment about speculation, rumour and all the other garbage we see every day in the papers and on sites like this.

Do you really expect Ashley to make an announcement every time nothing happens?

Come on Jinky – you say you expect a bit of nous and then spout something like that.

Speculation is bred on sites like this by the likes of us, who just try to contribute by throwing our little tidbits in and trying to sound knowledgeable.
    Like baldynappers comment on no flightplan being filed. What does that tell us? Absolutely nothing.

Things get battered back and forward and before you know it speculation becomes fact. Prime point in case was the “Malaysian” takeover.
    Nothing credible was ever released by any source but they were spotted everywhere. Funny thing is your average Geordie wouldn’t know a Malaysian from a Mackem.

But eventually the richest man in Malaysia had to waste time and money and step forward and deny everything. Purely because of speculation.

If he’s going to make an announcement, he’ll do it when he’s ready, and i would expect he’ll do it on the site.

Come on lads – I’ve been a supporter for longer than most of you have been born, and I understand the frustration and the passion, but get a life.

• Winston Potski

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I for one am not expecting (as promised) a definitive announcement today.

Mike Ashley is ultimately responsible for the behavious and actions of his Chairman, Lambi-arse. I think his complete lack of integrity and his contempt for the Newcastle fans has been illustrated many times – notably for me when he claimed “more than two clubs have offered the £100M asking price” a blatant lie, for which no apology or explanation has been offered.

Deadlines have come and gone, leaving those who genuinely care about the plight of the club constantly hanging on for a glimmer of hope.

Sick of Ashley, sick of Lambi-arse and the unforgiveable damage they’ve done to Newcastle United.

Call me cynical but I don’t expect today to be any different.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Archie,

Unlike Nissan, NUFC’s value is generated from geo-cultural & socio-cultural elements. It is not simply a product brand, but a regional identity and allegiance. If I don’t like my Nissan, I can buy a Toyota or VW instead. Not so with NUFC, and that very cultural monopoly it commands is the very reason most of the points you make are simply not applicable.

NUFC, as Sir Bobby Robson correctly said, is not the stadium or the players or the name – it is the cultural flagship of the city of Newcastle, going well beyond any comparable analogy with car makers. An owner buys into this loyalty and identity, and effectively is no more than a trustee for his/her tenure at the top. Just as the owner of a listed building cannot do as they wish, or the owner of a water company store toxic waste in reservoirs, the owner of NUFC is 100% dependent on support’s goodwill – as these supporters ARE the club. Without them NUFC has NO value.

It is disappointing that a lifelong supporter such as yourself should be completely blind to as to what this entity called NUFC in fact is. My use of the term stakeholder is measured, perhaps ‘cultural stakeholder’ is better, and as such entirely appropriate. Perhaps if more people really thought this issue through they would be even more annoyed at the recent liberties taken with the club.

Do you think Barca supporters would put up with this crap? Of course not. And yet you clearly seem to believe this incompetence is reasonable from Ashley, and supporters are not entitled to know what’s going on? Perhaps, as you suggest, we should get a life and go and support Sunderland instead!!

Compare apples with apples in the future, friend, and before spouting reductive nonsense start exploring the reason why football is such a money spinner. It seems only Sir Bobby really understood the sheer complexity of a provincial football club, and this is why the people of Barca and Newcastle loved him so much; and why these same loyal supporters should always be entitled to be told FIRST!

• Stardust

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Jinky – while in the main I agree with your sentiments – I believe you have totally ignored the reality of the situation.

Actions have consequence.

The fans reaction to the KK walkout caused Ashley to a) crawl into a bunker to hide from the barrage of hatred – this occurred at a time where he had lost 1.2bn of his personal wealth and had provided a 150mn facility for the club – and the fans rioted – as you and I are both aware every conversation revolves around hatred for him.

I do accept though that engaging the fans and communicating may well have avoided relegation – however the fans reaction – the “cockerney mafia out” banners, the full ground singing “stand up if you hate ashley”, the constant campaigning of egotistical idiots like NUSC, the constant actions without the consideration of consequence of our fans leaves me sick – let alone the man who had put in 250mn of his own money – not a bank debt – to stabilise us.

Ashley must have thought – is this really worth it – is this my fun?

Actions have consequence – the bunkered silence is a reaction caused by wrongdoing on both sides.

• JinkyGenius

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Stardust,

I actually agree with your analysis, and indeed have written to that effect. Nevertheless, as much as I had sympathy with Ashley if the aftermath of the KK fiasco (not least as you say because of the sheer amount of cash he pumped in when the club was in such a mess, a fact too often ignored by fans) and have even up to last month pleaded for constructive alliance between MA and NUSC (as they both have a common cause) I think Ashley has worn out a great deal of the goodwill that moderate folks (and I hope that includes us) were prepared to extend, not least from a series of very poor executive decisions that led to relegation and have understandably alienated fans.

I accept two wrongs do not make a right, and the failure of too many Newcastle supporters (but not ALL) to acknowledge that in a hundred lifetimes they will never put as much into this club as Ashley does NOT give Ashley carte-blanche as trustee to ride roughshod over the club’s cultural base. Remember, his input of money was due to his own lack of due diligence, it was not a philanthropic gesture. Shepherd had by then run the club to the brink of financial meltdown, and should Ashley have been a little more circumspect one wonders if NUFC would still be in existence today?

I have just heard that another extension has been announced, unsurprising but no less frustrating for all. I simply recall an era when intelligence and a sense of equity could govern debate, but often blog leaders set the tone for some very unhelpful and vitriolic reactions when it is the very websites that should be using their influence to promote harmony.

I had hoped after relegation Ashley might have risen above the mess and taken on the challenge bringing in Curbishley or Bruce to steady the ship – but so as long as he believes JK is the right man for the job I am dreaming.

So, where do we go? I am not confident Moat has the clout to get to grips with the current situation, and the potential presence of Shearer does nothing at all to alleviate my concerns. For starters, Moat hasn’t got Ashley’s cash to build the squad and Shearer hasn’t the managerial experience at any level of football to justify being the new boss – as last season’s demise proved only too graphically.

Whereas stalemate, ironically, has proven to be the most positive period on the pitch for many a month thanks to Chris Hughton.