Local Sunday Paper Accurate About New Bidders For Newcastle


We lambasted the story in the Sunday Sun last Sunday that said a new consortium, or maybe even two, were bidding for Newcastle.

nufc-crest

But Derek Llambias did announce officially yesterday that Geoff Sheard – who bid for the club last February and said he would bring David Beckham to Newcastle at that time – was negotiating with Seymour Pierce Bank in London.

So we were totally wrong about that, and in fact the Sunday Sun seems to have hit the nail right on the head, as there are even rumors today that another bidder may be unveiled as early as today. We’re not sure we can stand too many new bidders at this stage of the game – 6 days left in the transfer window.

Is it possible that the sale will spill over to next week and come Wednesday we”ll still have no new players or new manager?  Yes, anything seems possible right now at Newcastle.

We were not too impressed with Sheard and didn’t think he had the money in February and don’t think he has it now.

But what if there are two new bidders for Newcastle, in addition to Barry Moat?

Maybe there’s still another shoe to drop this week and indeed there could be another bidder still to be unveiled.

Anyway, the reason for this piece is we wanted to point out that we were wrong about the story last Sunday, and indeed there was a new bidder that has entered negotiations, as Llambias indicated yesterday.

We have to hope any new bidders have the money to easily pay Mike £100M and service the £40M overdraft facility, which we are told stands at £20M, and Barclays’ policy for overdrafts to Championship clubs is a maximum of £10M.

If that’s true that means Newcastle will need to reduce the overdraft by £10M, and hence we may still see players leave before next Wednesday rolls around.

But on the other hand, maybe we’ll even get some good news this week, but there I go again, saying crazy things. 😀



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

19 comments so far

  • Toon Chicken

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM

    Comment #1

    where’s cooldj – back to school a week early?

    0
  • bowburnmag

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM

    Comment #2

    2nd!

    We miss you cooldj

    0
  • SpartanChris

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM

    Comment #3

    Why are all these bidders leaving it so late – do they think its the end of season sale or something?

    Just give Fat Mike your money or stop talking!!!

    0
  • BigLish

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM

    Comment #4

    To be brutally honest, i’ve lost interest with who owns / is going to own the club. I’m past the point of being apathetic and am just gonna concentrate on supporting the team at every game. I’ve even given up being pee’d off with Ashley – just dont care anymore – will just support the lads 110%

    0
  • Toon Chicken

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM

    Comment #5

    So does anyone really think it will make much difference if the club is not sold before Tuesday?

    I reckon if we’re being realistic we’re only going to get loan signings from the outskirts of PL team squads anyway.

    I also don’t think it will be too much of a drama if we unload 2 or 3 more of the big earners between now and then either.

    Once again the media, the fans and blogs like this contribute to turning another toon crisis into a drama.

    At the end of the day it will all come out in the wash so just sit back and enjoy our lofty position in the fizzy pop league.

    ps; does anyone else hope we get knocked out tonight (i mean it’s not as if we’ll win it and a semi-final aint gonna do us any good?)

    0
  • Chris F

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM

    Comment #6

    these “new bidders” are really just coming across to me as smokescreens, allowing Ashley to say that he couldnt accept a bid during the window because he wanted to be fair and give them all a chance to prove their bid was viable, just so he can then, at 5pm on Sept 1st come out and say “oh no, we’ve not been able to sign anyone because of the ongoing takeover talks….oh, by the way, I’m taking the club off the market now too.”

    just like he did in january with his “bid” for michael johnson at the last minute, it’s all lies and half-arsed attempts to try and fool the fans into thinking that he is trying to sell, when all he is doing is trying to spend as little money as possible.

    0
  • shrews mag

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM

    Comment #7

    Portsmouth were put up for sale before us … then sold … but the deal is not yet done … and now other bidders are coming forward to snatch the club …

    sorry lads but the black clouds are getting blacker by the day … this could take a few more months to get a new owner in place …

    It takes a long time to sell a house … it takes a lot longer to sell a football club … but it would be nice to get some honest words from MA about progress …

    0
  • Toon_Army

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM

    Comment #8

    The Fat Controller has been quiet lately, I bet he is somehow involved with one of these consortiums, I remember when the sale was first announced he was the first one offering to buy back his old club at half the price…

    0
  • Gerontius

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

    Comment #9

    I agree with ToonChicken. Better to get the window closed and keep the players that we have, flawed and expensive though they are. The team might fall apart with a few injuries. If the likes of Colo and Jonas (and heaven-forbid Taylor) are sold without proper replacement, it could be disastrous. The youngsters are untried. Chris Hughton is at least beginning to shout this more loudly, now that three victories have given him a platform.

    0
  • Bill F

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM

    Comment #10

    Despite our good start I have never been so depressed over the stae of our club. I would agree with the majority view that we are going to see no or little change to the ownership this year. Even this situation may have a silver lining if the youngsters turn things around. Galling though it may be Ashley may yet be able to say, “see I knew what I was doing all along, you just needed a little faith”
    Toon Chicken, I do not want to see us make an early exit from the league cup, success begats success so I want us to win every game. You never know winning the cup (any) and a quick return to the EPL could see us in Europe next year, oops, I hope that wasn’t a pig flying past the window. 🙂

    0
  • Monster

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #11

    Toon Chicken – yes. We’re in desperate need of numbers. We currently have four defenders (not including Ryan Taylor) who have played first team football. Considering three of these four defenders are some of the ‘big earners’ who have been touted as potential transfers we could find ourselves in all sorts of trouble.

    On a brighter note, if the sale does happen after the transfer window closes, at least we only have to make it to January before we can sign players again… it’s not like this squad is it for the season… (think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts…)

    0
  • hitman

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

    Comment #12

    simon you tw@t baird from the mirror reckons ashley will stay for another season coz moat carnt raise enough wedge to buy the club.
    might be shite paper talk like.

    0
  • Stuart79

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #13

    hitman // Aug 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

    simon you tw@t baird from the mirror reckons ashley will stay for another season coz moat carnt raise enough wedge to buy the club.
    might be shite paper talk like.

    How would Moat have got this far down the line without having poved he had the funds?

    Isn’t that a pre-requisite for any talks to take place?

    So I presume more bull

    0
  • Whumpie

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

    Comment #14

    I don’t believe for a moment that anyone new has arrived at the table in the past two months. Anyone who could have been interested knew about it as soon as that daft announcement on the website went up.

    And Ed, don’t get too carried away: you’re apologising for slagging off a bit of vague tabloid speculation because another bit of vague tabloid speculation has said something similar, and a well-proven compulsive liar has said something which also fits.

    We know nowt, let’s face it. Losing the will to live on this one.

    4-1 this evening. Lua Lua, Ranger and Donaldson to score.

    0
  • chuck

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

    Comment #15

    How many times banging your head against a wall would it take before you reached the conclusion it hurts ?
    How many stories concerning takeovers and signings are we going to be subjected to ?
    Everyone should at this stage realize,
    (1)- there aint gonna be any sale.
    (2) there will be further departures of saleable players.
    (3) only loans or free agents will be brought in.
    (4)due to current attendance`s MA has concluded fans will show up even if we were
    playing Bishop Auckland.
    (4)therfore why pay Shearer and have to liten to his rant`s, when he can get a yes man for peanuts.
    Where will this lead us ?
    Probably in the top ten of the championship.
    Why ? when we could with a few signings probably make it back to the PL in one season.
    Ask MA and Llambias, possibly has to do with money I would think.
    It seems we are stuck with the gruesome twosome for the forseeable future, or at least untill the economy improves.

    0
  • lesh

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

    Comment #16

    4-1 would be good Whumpie as would a sale to a good owner.

    These past months have been torment and we’re all to balme for swalloing the rubbish that the press and Llambias has placed in front of us.

    When will we get a true take on what’s going/ gone on?

    When, as Dylan asked, will we ever learn?

    0
  • Tel

    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

    Comment #17

    Choice of loan signing like simpson or sign a past it defender lets say Sol cambell at 34 year old, on a 5 year deal. Its contracts like that that have us in the sticky stuff, I am not at all sorry we didnt get him if thats the kind of deal he was looking for. Decent business decision for once from the twats in charge!

    0
  • magpie4ever

    Aug 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM

    Comment #18

    Sadly I have to agree with you Chuck and especially your point about an immediate return to the Prem. Its possible this season if we don’t lose anyone else and add 4 decent quality players to the squad, i.e. a forward, a creative central midfielder, & possibly players who could play anywhere across the back 4!! Depressing!

    0
  • AngerOfTheNorth

    Aug 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM

    Comment #19

    I don’t for a second believe that there are any other genuine bidders other than Moat.

    Still, people have a go (unjustly) at Ed for being wrong some times, so he is at least holding his hands up here.

    For what it’s worth Ed, I thought the story was a crock of sh*t too…

    0

You must log in to post a comment.