Nile Ranger Had Butterflies All Over

Nile Ranger, 18, making his first ever start for Newcastle, and at St. James’ Park too, overcame his nerves to play his part in a thrilling 4-3 win last night against the Terriers.

nile-ranger-4597

Nile Ranger – overcame his nerves and butterflies last night

After the dramatic win last night – the next round will be drawn live next Saturday afternoon – Nile Ranger talked about the game today:

“When Chris and Colin (Calderwood) showed me the team-sheet, I was shocked,”  “I heard I might be starting, but I wasn’t too sure.”

“When I saw I was starting I was buzzing – I had butterflies all over.” “I was nervous at the start, but the fans were always supporting me. They made me feel confident.”

“I had a few chances in the first half, and I had one or two in the second half.” “Jose (Enrique) put one across, and I tried to go front post, but the defender came in front of me.”

“It’s always good to go out there and battle. The senior lads are always giving you confidence and encouragement, and I needed to keep my head up.”

A young Newcastle side – who trailed 3-1 just 2 minutes into the second half, needed an in-form Shola Ameobi to come off the bench for the second half and lead the fightback.

Shola got his 5th goal of the season from a penalty, before setting up Kevin Nolan for the winner on 86 minutes.  Not a bad second half  for the local lad.

And Ranger was relieved that Hughton’s young players came through with a good win in the end, with 19 year-old  Hungarian Tamas Kadar looking cool in the last 45 minutes, to play an important part in the Newcastle win.

Ranger continued:

“I went out there and gave my all, but it was hard. When we were 2-1 down, I was thinking ‘is this because the youngsters are on?'”

“But Shola came on and we came back strongly. We battled all the way.” “I’ve never played in a game like that. “

“The mood was good afterwards. I wouldn’t have liked to have gone in there if we’d lost, but everyone’s happy.”

Great experience for the team last night, and particularly for the youngsters who participated last night.

• cooldj

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

oh yeahh 🙂 🙂

• Dan4Toon

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I wanna be a Nile Ranger…
    Scoring goals like Alan Shearer :).

• MacToon

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Listening to Real radio’s commentary with Bob Moncur, he said Ranger seemed a little lightweight and got pushed off the ball a little too easily. Also he should learn from the likes of Shearer on how to defend and keep the ball.

Saying that a good introduction, good experience for Ranger and others and another win.

• Tal_nufc4eva

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

to be honest for his first start at st james’ and only at the age of 18 he has every right to be nervous but he passed with flyin colours he’ll be exellent for us in the near future

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Hopefully last night’s potential slip-up will ring loud in the boardroom. We need to keep experienced players in our squad, as well as our young prospects.

• Toon_Army

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM

He should still be in the Reserves 🙁 Bringing these players on as a sub for 70 Minutes like Arsenal do is one thing, but starting them in a match can be throwing them to the sharks… One Tip I have for Ranger Would be Run Faster 🙂 that way he can’t knock you over 😉

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM

(carried on from comment 5)…I mean, selling players now who had difficulty cutting it in the EPL would be insane now they’ve met their level in the CCC.

• Whumpie

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Perhaps a few people will now understand that sticking kids out there will do nothing but lose games and wreck confidence in the younguns.

I’m a big fan of these young lads – especially Kaz – but we have to realise that it’s a huge leap even from a reserves match to playing a 4th-tier group of pros in a cup competition.

As Ranger said, “I’ve never played in a game like that”.

Happy to see them get a match, but also hoping we don’t have to rely on them just yet. They need years yet before they’re regular starters.

• dave 1961

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM

we don’t know what will happen when we do loose will it be a blip or a free fall just hope we never find out, we need to use the kids just enough to bring them on we cant do it in one go they need to be played in the correct games or they will not stand a chance, that’s what was done with Taylor and he has made mistakes but we were always able to rest him & let his confidence return, i fear we will not be able to do this as we have only 17 experienced players at the club we need an 18 man squad, so it wont be long until the groundsman gets a game.

• dave 1961

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM

the only solution to our current problems is Mike Ashley to under wright this season get up to 10 players in and get us promoted

• Stuart79

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM

dave 1961 // Aug 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Ha Ha!

It’s the way ya tell em…..

• Fostino

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM

i dont think any of these players were thrown in the deep end, we were playing league 1 opposition remember, and they ere even playing with senior players like nolan, butt, geremi, enrique etc

krul is a gud understudy, he’s abit too anxious to try get the ball though

perhaps it was a little unfair to put kadar in a C.B. patnership with simpson for his first appearance

lua lua already bein out on loan last season with doncaster and appeared a few times in the championship and premier league, he needs to stop giving the ball away so cheaply

ranger seems to be our 3rd choice striker at the moment so if huddersfield isnt a good opposition to start with, who is?

• Troy Stavers

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Oi Oi radgies!!!

Hoo man!! Whumpie yi divvent kna what yi gannin on aboot like!
    A was speakin to Arsene Wenger the other week when he was doon Benwell park. He telt is that the League Cup is for playing the youngins man!

A reckon Wenger kna’s a bit more aboot football than ye like!

Arsey says to is like “HOO TROY, THE LEAGUE CUP IS COCK ON FOR PLAYING THE YOUNGINS LIKE”

A says to Arsey “AYE, THATS A CANNY CUSH POINT THAT LIKE ARSEY, FANCY A BIT O TOOT?”

Arsey, “AYE GAN ON THEN TROY, AL OWE YI TEN LOWEY”

Troy”NEE BOTHA ARSEY, WATCH OOT FOR THE BIZZIES COMIN LIKE”

Whumpie man! Ye kna nowt ye like!

• shrews mag

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM

does anyone else think that Houghton excluded taylor and colo in order to show MA what will happen if they are both sold???

If he did this with thisin mind … it was a master stroke …!!!

The current paper thin squad will not last until Christmas … we need more players in order to mount a challenge this season …

• Toon Graeme

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM

If Taylor and Colo left and we had who we had last night would make me kak my pants!!

• Doocey

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Lads.
    I’m off to the sun in the Algarve in a few minutes.
    I’m sure I’ll talk to you lot through the week at some stage.
    Howay The Lads!

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM

alreet for some eh Doocey. Have a good trip!

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM

…and cheers foir rubbing it in, you tw@t 😉

• thud and blunder

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Jay Simpson has signed on loan at QPR, another decent loan player weve missed out on.

I can just see next Tuesday, a mass scramble to get players in…the same as last Jan!!

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM

…we’ll end up with Barry Hayles and Trevor Sinclair

• MacToon

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Have a good one Doocey, jammy git 🙂

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM

…Frank Sinclair, I meant

• stevep

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Wouldnt give to much thought to Tayls and Collo being left out last night – LC is not a priority for us this season, we have an extremely small squad and we cannot risk injuries, fatigue etc to players that we need to get us out of the championship.
    League cup is ideal for playing youngsters, gives them a bit of first team real match experience rather than just playing in reserves where most players play half heartedly

Thought Krul had a bit of a mare last night, at least two of the goals were his fault and he shouldnt have been megged for the first – why he felt the need to run out is beyond me, tere to deal were covering players who he should have left to deal with the threat – oh well it’s something for him to work on

The other young uns did ok but didnt set the world alight and have plenty to work on ( distribution (LuaLua), positioning (Kadar) and hold up play (Ranger)

• Stuart79

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Rodzilla // Aug 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM

…and cheers foir rubbing it in, you tw@t

Don’t be saying things like that Rod.

Stardust the swear police will have ya!

• Dragonera

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Tuncay close to joinng…STOKE!… 8/

• Doocey

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM

It’s ok lads 😀

Some people deserve a holiday after a years hard work.

Talk to you lads, laterz.
    Alreeet? 😀

• Toon Graeme

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Doocey – enjoy mate and enjoy the fun in the sun.

I suppossed to be in Egypt from Saturday. NOt happening no though

• dave 1961

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM

what about xisco missing i don’t think he needed resting

• hitman

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM

jay simpson isn’t coming hes just signed for qpr on season loan

• Stuart79

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Toon Graeme // Aug 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Doocey – enjoy mate and enjoy the fun in the sun.

I suppossed to be in Egypt from Saturday. NOt happening no though

Get ya self on the drink instead.

Nowt there anyway apart from a load of stupid brick things.

• Rodzilla

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM

sh1t, sorry Stu.

…er, boll0cks, I just swore.

Blast!

• Troy Stavers

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Oi Oi Doocey!!!

Hoo man, have a goodin youngin!!

I’ve just come back from Swalwell mud flats!! Canny good like. There were me and me 15 kids, three of me ex wives and the current Mrs Stavers!!

All in a 6 berth tent!!! Bit cramped like but the it was alreet!!

A fancy gannin somewhere like the Algarve like!!The reckon France is lush!!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM

tuncay and huth 11 million to stoke. what a deal

• shrews mag

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM

stevep // Aug 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM

point taken about resting taylor and colo … but it does illustrate where we would be without them …!!!

In terms of Krull … I was sat behind his goal at west brom (in the home end with a season ticket holder who is a mate) … he looked fantastic but it was all reflex shot stopping saves … he will be a fantastic player but he is still learning his trade … in the meantime harper is way out in front as number 1.

• Waddles mullet

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Get ready for paddy shepherd to bo sure!

• Tino 11

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:51 PM

cooldj // Aug 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

oh yeahh
    ————————————————————
    You were too late yesterday though, you must do better. 🙂

• stevep

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Just came back from Sharm El Sheik – stayed at Ritz Carlton which was ok – went to naama bay for a day out but it was such a dump we left after a couple of hours (full of english/russian chavs)
    Went to Cairo and Luxor for sightseeing and did my PADI – kin hot tho 40 degrees plus in day and 30 plus at night – tf for air conditioning 🙂

• Waddles mullet

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Freddy shepherd J P McManus and John Magnier are on talks to buy Newcastle united

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM

waddles, what u say mate?

• hitman

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:57 PM

i like magners pare cider