Shola Ameobi – Broken Foot – What Broken Foot?

Shola Ameobi was wearing a plastic surgical boot after the game on Wednesday night and sat out training yesterday.

shola ameobi 129886

Shola – after scoring – his confidence is sky high

But broken foot – broken what?

After we had seen the stories in the Mirror and the usually reliable Times talk of a broken foot seem to have been very premature, as the local lad, who has been little short of sensational this season with 5 goals in 5 games, expects to play on Monday night against Nigel Pearson’s Leicester City.

And Shola talked this morning about his foot problem:

“I don’t think my injury is too bad, so I’m hoping Monday should be all right,” “I just fell on it, landed on it’s funny and felt a little pop in there, so hopefully I haven’t done much damage. But it’s calmed down a bit now, so I’m hoping it’s nothing serious.”

“A few of the boys came off worse for wear against Huddersfield and obviously with our limited amount of players it’s going to be important to keep everyone fit and healthy.”

“I’m scoring goals. I had a good run under Glen Roeder when I was playing week in, week out and for me that’s the essence – playing every week and getting that confidence up,”

“As a striker you’re going to miss chances but it’s getting the next one and I feel that when I get a run of games I become battle-hardened to playing.”  “My fitness is obviously a big factor. When I feel fit, I feel confident and it’s certainly been the case this season.”

Of course the injury could still be serious, but probably isn’t broken if there is less pain than on Wednesday.

And it seems that Chris Hughton is a little doubtful that Shol will make it on Monday as he told Newcastle United TV today:

“Shola has a stress injury to the bone in his foot and will be assessed today.” “But he looks very doubtful for Monday night.”  “That’s a big blow for us because he’s had a wonderful start to the season.” “But we will see where we stand today.”

“Jonas, too, is doubtful for Monday.” “He has a slight hamstring problem and will be assessed today.”  It’s always the norm after a game to allow a couple of days for injuries to settle down so we’ll have a better idea regarding Shola and Jonas later today.”

Shola’s value to the team was evident on Wednesday night, when he came on in the second half, saw the side down 3-1 within two minutes and proceeded to make one and score one.

Isn’t that what Alan used to do?   Well maybe it was make two and score two – and yes – in the Premier league, we almost forgot. :D.

But hey, we’re delighted for Shola, absolutely thrilled for the lad actually.

After all, let’s be honest, he’s  taken more then his fair share of criticism on Tyneside, and if he can help lead the club back to the Premier league in the first season out, that would be fantastic – and to us he’s a hero.

Actually you can mark this article down as a good news article – rare in football – and let’s hope we don’t get news today that Shola indeed has a broken foot.

Here’s hoping.

• jordi

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM

They must know by now though?

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Great, Who will play upfront with no Shola?

• jordi

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Maybe go 4-5-1 with Caroll holding the line and ‘runners’ from midfield. Might work with a bit of pace in midfield…

• Edd Case

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I say start Ranger with Shola.

• repo

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM

No remember the window closes in 5 days so he always says he’s injured before it closes so he wont go anywhere..

thats the truth he’s not injured..

• hitman

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

who is going to be our new number 9, or is ashley not bothering, another slap in the face from the fat man.

• HalftimeBovril

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM

If there is to be any announcement about a sale today then I would expect to hear something by early afternoon at the latest, as this is what history tells us with recent clubs sales.

No news by then means no sale today, and with sales never announced on weekends that leaves us Monday which of course is a bank holiday. With the transfer window closing 5pm on Tuesday I think we all know with hand on our hearts that no sale or more importantly any incoming players will happen

• Toon_Army

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Isn’t there suppost to be news on the sale today? I thought today was another deadline day… No news or article on that yet?

• JinkyGenius

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

The problem is modern boots, back in Jackie Milburn’s day the ankles were protected and the foot properly supported, and don’t talk to me about speed – Wor Jackie would have run the length of the pitch and had time to make Shola a cup of tea before he finally arrived….

• batty

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

• premier

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM

another Friday another deadline TA!!
    Shola finally found his level then pulls a sickie

• jordi

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Cheers for the link batty.

Hughton talks about letting injuries settle for a few days. Well, not if it’s a suspected break or fracture so maybe it’s not so bad about Shola’s foot. If Jonas just has a pulled hamstring he could still play if it gets sufficiently better.

• Whumpie

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Gutted for Shola if he is badly injured. It’s the first time he’s been able to start a season fit and with a full pre-season behind him since… well, I can’t remember, but I think he was in nappies.

As for all the panic over transfer deadlines, I think it’s a read herring. If anything, I’d like to see Xisco, Geremi, Colo go before then because we’ll be able to get several decent loaners in for less wages and start to balance the books a bit – all of which increases the chances of Ashley going.

But we WANT loaners, not purchases. Even if we had the dosh, we need different players for this league from those we’ll need if/when promoted.

And the loan window goes right into November, so forget all this “buy players” panic – it’s selling them that we’ve only got 4 days left for.

• Toon_Army

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

loaning in a player in November to replace players sold in August won’t be productive…

• Toon_Army

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

if Caroll, Xisco & Ameobi are all injured, that leaves us with no Senior Strikers 🙂 What a joke…

• jordi

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Toon_Army

Smith is a striker (according to the club anyway).

• Bigbadbob

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM

For all of you who are trying to remain positive, well done, but you need to take a big reality check.
    We are constantly told lies and snippets to pro club media sources full of spin.
    THEY ARE TAKING THE PISS!

• Whumpie

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM

We are also constantly hearing doom-mongering.

Yes, we’re in a bad state – but I don’t agree with the solutions people are ranting about. Buying 10 players right now won’t happen and would be bad for the club. Selling some bad value ones and getting a dozen loanees in for less salary would.

The only time pressure is on sales, because most of the potential buyers are prem teams, and their window shuts in 4 days’ time. Loans can happen for weeks yet.

• premier

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM

talking of Loans Barclays still dont seem Keen

• Tal_nufc4eva

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM

its a stress nerve to the bone thick sh1t!!!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM

League rules on loanees only allowed 5 at any one time & can only play 4 in the same side (including subs)