Newcastle vs Leicester City – Match Preview

nufc-crestLeicester City  svg

If  Newcastle  can draw or win tonight’s game against Leicester City, the Tyneside club will go top of the Championship League, before August is out.

And that has to be a tribute to Chris Hughton – the gentleman coach – who has done wonders since July 1st on Tyneside.

And it may be fitting for those able to get to the game tonight, to let Chris know the Geordie fans appreciate his loyal and expert coaching during the summer.

He’s been a revelation, and we expect the lads to start tonight’s game like a bullet train.

That’s much like they did against Manchester United earlier this year. when our players in the first half seemed to be playing as if heir lives depended on winning. It was an incredible first half by the lads – but of course we eventually lost that game 2-1.

There’s an excellent article out there saying the man deserves a medal – and we have to agree with those sentiments – he’s done just great. Thanks Chris.

Newcastle midfield pair Joey Barton and Nicky Butt are expected to be passed fit for tonight, but we suspect Guthrie and Smith will start in central midfield.

Barton got a foot injury in the 3-0 home win over Reading on August 15th and has subsequently missed the last three games.

And Nicky Butt had to go off at half-time against Huddersfield as a precaution with a foot problem but he’s expected to be available tonight.

Newcastle have 3 strikers injured right now, with Andy Carroll, Xisco out with groin injuries and Shola Ameobi doubtful with a foot problem.

Argentine Jonas Gutierrez is doubtful as he struggles with a hamstring injury.

This is the team we think will start tonight:

Harper
Simpson Taylor S. Coloccini Enrique
Barton Guthrie Smith Taylor R.
Nolan Ranger
Subs: Krul Kadar Tozer Butt LuaLua Geremi Donaldson

And there may be a surprise in that any of Shola or Jonas may start the game, since Ameobi hinted today sometimes you have to just play through the pain, and of course we have a couple of weeks before our next game, although that may be a big risk with so small a squad.

Newcastle should be fine in defense and midfield but the question is who will score the goals?

We expect Chris to tell players like Guthrie,  Nolan and Ryan Taylor to push up and support 18 year-old Nile anger up front.

Leicester are managed by former Newcastle United caretaker manager and coach Nigel Pearson, and will hope to have new loan signing, 19 year-old Ryan McGivern from Manchester City, in their squad.

Striker Steve Howard is also hoping to be fit in time to face the club he held a season ticket at as a boy, as he recovers from a hamstring injury.

Leicester, like Newcastle are undefeated after their first four league matches and victory in the north east could see them climb to joint top of the Championship table.

So there;s enough in this game to ensure it’s a game both teams will want to win.

We need a win tonight, and we hope the lads can deliver so at least we’ll have about 12 days before our next game at Cardiff, of sheer bliss as we can keep looking at the Championship table. 😀

Howay The Lads.

• And It comes out to Phillippe Albert....

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Really hope we can get a win tonight, just hope the midfielders have their shooting boots on.

• mylestoon

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM

My mate is a leicester supporter! we need to win this or im done until the next time we meet leicester!

Im pretty sure if we put in a performance like we did at reading or crystal palace, we should be alright!

• baro

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:56 AM

ED Haris Vuckic will score our goals

• Lew Davies

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM

baro – doubt he will even make the bench.

I’d go for
    harper
    simpson-taylor-colo-enrique
    smith
    r taylor barton
    guthrie
    ranger nolan

If colo starts, then we will know he not getting sold.
    Actually think Stroller will make the bench and come on in 2nd half. (scores winning goal!).
    Howay the Lads.
    😀

• Edd Case

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:34 AM

It’s a more than strong enough team, maybe just a little weak up front, but I see now reason why if we’re struggling in the match, to not shove Alan Smith up front with Ranger, just to give him a hand.

I think we’ll win, 2-1.

Howay the lads.

• komfort

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:26 AM

result..draw.

crowd…38k ish

injuries…it doesn’t bear thinking about

• batty

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:37 AM

home win

• bri h

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Komfort im expecting a crowd near 50k today

• komfort

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

bri h , hope your right mate…but i packed in the cigs yesterday and all i have is negative thoughts..ggggrrr!!.

• Bill F

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Komfort, my missus had to pack in fags recently and bought herself one of those electronic ciggy’s. Aparently not quite as good as the real thing but near enough to satisfy the craving.

We should win at fortress Toon tonight, but lets not forget the championship is a long distance race not a sprint and not get too upset if for some bizzare reason we don’t.

I’m more concerned about the next few days than tonight, thats what might make or break our season.

Howay the lads.

• Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM

That magic number one column on the betting sheet.

Home win.

TOON top of the table!

HAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!

😀

(…and no fkn injuries, please!)

• Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Komfort, I’ve been packing in fags for the last year but keep going back after hitting the drink – that’s the hardest bit for me. I did manage a whole month in March, but Friday and Saturday nights were sheer hell for me. If you’re serious about it, I found the Nicorette Inhalers helped keep the cravings at bay. Again, it’s all down to the will power thing when pi55ed for me. Got it down to ‘only when I drink’ at the moment, which I’ve also got down to twice a week.

…walk before you can run mate.

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Thing with the fags is to get angry with yourself. Everytime you want one just remember that horrible sore throat when you wake up with a hangover.

Anyway, 15% off everything in B&Q. I asked if they took Youchers. They take Radgies, Pikeys, and Charvers. But not Youchers!

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:04 PM

There’s only one thing we can’t give up. Doesn’t bare thinking about. Keep the faith.

• Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

….for any of you youngsters out there, take heed of all this. Smoking is all cool and fair enough when you’re young – but there WILL come a time where you decide you don’t want to do it any more, and you can’t stop; be it 8 months down the line, 2 years, 10 years. If you’re not hooked, stop now! Or don’t start. The longer you do it, the harder stopping gets.

Reet, I’ll take mi school teacher hat off now (I’m not a teacher btw)

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

3:1 the night. 4 Guinness, 2 John Smiths, 1 kebab, 1 condom.

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Ya right tho Rodz. Some of my mates just can’t stop. Best not to start.

I reckon (look at me when I’m talking to you) is to visualise what it would be likse to be an ex-smoker. I didn’t wanna stop. I fcuking loved them. Never miss them now.

Rant over. Back to the rafters with Batts.

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Also, too, btw. You’re not a teacher but you ARE something similar 🙂

• Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

…too much to read into that one Isaac, I could twist it many ways. I’m lots of words ending in “er”, and spose my profession does involve ‘leading people’, in many aspects.

Thing that does my head in is I can go a whole week without, then hit the booze and it’s out the window. There could be a deeper-lining problem there………

(fkd if I’m giving up the drink tho)

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Rodz: You a PM?

• komfort

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:01 PM

thanks for the advise lads..rod there lies the problem, in my life drinking and smoking are very good friends the very reason i didn’t venture out last night. but i’ve only invited mr smith to the party tonight….no doubt smokey joe will try to gatecrash it and catch me off gaurd..

• Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Isaac, I’m a DM (not defensive midfielder).

Komfort, get one of those inhalers. It’ll at least help you to smoke less, leading to total cessation.

• Rodzilla