Hughton Tries To Explain What Happened Yesterday

We let 11 first team players go and brought 2 in – and that’s the state of rebuilding of our squad since we were relegated – if this weren’t in fact true we’d never believe it.

chris hughton -2843595

Chris Hughton – players offered to us were not right

But Newcastle are still hopeful of bringing in new players when the loan window reopens in seven days’ time, even though Chris has surprisingly said he feels the squad is very close to where he wants it to be.

We find that very strange since that’s inconsistent with what Chris was saying, even yesterday.

This is what Hughton told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“We were absolutely delighted to bring Peter (Løvenkrands) in but I think everybody is a bit frustrated that there weren’t more (signings),”

“We had looked at bringing another couple of bodies in the right circumstances but they had to be the right players. A lot of names were put to us over the course of the last few days but the players that were offered weren’t right for us.”

“We had to make decisions about whether they were the right players on the right terms. Despite our very best efforts that didn’t really happen, to be honest.”

” What we do know is that in a week’s time we are able to bring in players over a three-month period and that is something I think we will try to do.”

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley did make some cash available to sign players, if that was possible and the reports suggest we did try to sign25 year-old Matthew Kilgallon from the Blades, a good center-back – but we suppose we couldn’t  match Sheffield United’s valuation of the player – we were said to be offering £2M.

It seems we’ll need to rely on loan deals now – at least until the January window arrives, but if Ashley is still at the club we will not beholding our breath.

We can bring in a lot of loan players, since the  rules say we cannot have more than 5 loan players on the pitch at any one time, and currently we only have Danny Simpson on loan.

Chris continued:

“We were mostly looking at loans,”  “It was a consideration (to pay a transfer fee) but there was not really anyone that came in our price bracket to be honest.”

“That was frustrating but we didn’t feel that we needed to add too much to the squad, to be honest. We’re very close to having the squad that I want and we have some very good young players who I will not be afraid of giving a chance.”

“We know that we have to add but the most important thing was that they were the right players so as not to upset the balance we have at the moment.”

Sorry, but how can we be close to the squad we want when we’re 9 players short of what we had last year, and that was too small a squad.  And this season we play 8 more league games in the Championship.

We think Chris is willing to rely on our talented youngsters to come in and do the job, when they are needed. If they can do that we’ll be in much better shape than we think.

• cooldj

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

1st (but no smiley-i’m not best pleased with the currenct situation!)

• dave 1961

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Russian roulette

• dave 1961

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM

its fine to play kids if they are good but to rely on them is a different option all together it put intolerable pressure on them, so if they don’t hit the ground running we are up sh*t creek big style, we always new we need to get rid of the under achievers of last season, but we need to replace them, not just dump them, we are now in the situation that we have kids in the squad because we have no one else, total madness if by some miracle this does not byte us in the ar*e, Ashley needs an award for stupidity, already we have 7 bookings, & two injury’s. from 5 games. and by not employing a manager we know who’s on his way, yes Joe Joe the clown, and no i will not except him at any cost, i am 100% against Kinnear, and i will not except the foul mouthed yob under any circumstances.

• JinkyGenius

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Luckily for us Chris is a pragmatist, not a KK style idealist. Underneath he must be fuming after weeks of speculation and wish lists comes down to Peter Lovenkrands, period. But to vent his frustration publicly will simply precipitate the type of team instability that was at the centre of last season’s chaos, and so undo the achievements of the sterling shift he has so far been able to put in.

There is no contradiction in Chris’s remarks here, Ed, just sound management psychology. He knows the squad limitations better than anyone else at the club – and rule one is you don’t go telling the opposition about them!

Top marks to Chris, as ever, a sane head in insane circumstances.. Currently he is the top reason to be cheerful about the future.

• Irish-Toon

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM

We can now do one of two things, we can bitch and moan about what we didn’t bring in during the window or we can accept that apart from the possibility of a couple of loan signings that’s it until January, and get on with it. As it stands we have to put our faith in what we’ve got so I’m happy to do that, who’s with me?

• Winston Potski

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I think Hughton’s hands, like those of all managers before him, have been tied by that A-hole Ashley!

Ashley is desperately trying to salvage cash from NUFC before he inevitably ditches us.
    He’s pocketed a significant amount of cash from player sales in every transfer window and left us a thread-bare squad devoid of valuable assests.

I’m not suggesting that he’s made a net profit
    from NUFC but what I’m certain of is he has brought a fantastic football club to it’s knees.
    For this I despise him and will never forgive him.

• boater

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Houghton is an owner’s wet dream. Asked to do a rotten job in near impossible circumstances, somehow unifies the squad, stamps a mark of professionalism on the 1st team, gets us winning matches. We win 5 out of 6… show early season promotion form and how does Ashley respond? A solitary free acquisition.

The job is Houghton’s if he wants it for the season I say. If we get promoted, give him a long-term contract and let him build it his way.

Cannot believe I’m saying that like.

• Norwegian_geordie

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I fully support Chris in what he’s saying. We need to bring the young players in and give them a chance. We’ve had way to many years of buying players that used to be good to fill in the gaps and challenge for the first team.

If we can give our young players some good run-ins on the pitch I’m sure our squad will be in a lot better shape than we think.

Lets just hope Ameobi’s nijury isn’t all that bad and that Jonas can come back pretty quick. We’re short on wingers, but I’d love to see LuaLua any day ahead of Geremi..
    Rather use Geremi as sub for defence…
    He had a couple of games on the rightback position last year and did fairly well.

• premier

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Might try and get knocked out of cups early to play less games–All part of Ashley master plan!!

• Winston Potski

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Yes, I agree that Hughton and the remaining players should get our full backing, and they’re earning it already.
    I hope we can triumph over the adversity we find ourselves in and gain promotion – without Mike Ashley!

• JinkyGenius

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Boater, I only hope the board don’t treat Chris as shabbily as they did one A. Cox esq, who on gaining promotion was promptly sacked for not having any top flight experience…. It still sticks in the throat.

When you wonder about 50 trophy-less years, you need not look any further than the empty headed director’s box occupants over that period to find the reason.

• Montagu

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM

The way we have played so far, the fact that our young players are pretty good, that this is the Championship and that Mourinho only ever goes with a squad of 25, then I would say we will still be alright. If I include only Ranger, Donaldson, Vukic, Kadar and Tozer of the young ones, Lua Lua should be in anyway, then i make a squad of 24. So yes the need yesterday was for one central defender but that may just still happen on loan till January. On the way the team has been playing and has been set up I think we have a great balance in the squad, in the sense that we have enough experience and quality to get us up but not enough so the youngsters get overlooked. This is such a fantastic opportunity not just for the kids themselves but for us to start blooding and developing our own players, the combination of being in the Championship and having a small squad may just be a blessing. Even with injuries and on the basis of how we’ve played so far we should be alright. Time will tell.

• Stardust

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I see our present situation similar to the modern day birth of Man U – remember when they had Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc coming through the ranks – “you cant win nothing with kids” look where they pushed onto. Yes they had a few great old pro’s around them – but they didnt go out and spend quadrillions on ordinary tosh – they did it the right way.

Our young players were great last year – and now they get their chance to step up – to make a name for themselves.

We owe them all their backing – I am looking forward to watching their emergence – many show great promise.

• Whumpie

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I think this window was the same as the last few – Manager says what’s needed, Ashley imposes impossible constraints, while also holding off until the very last moment to start negotiating.

End result: failure to do what’s needed.

BUT this time there are up-sides:

1. We didn’t lose Taylor, Nolan or any more gooduns.
    2. Loans are really what’s needed, and we can still get them.
    3. We can look at the table and grin for now.

It all comes down to those loan signings. Couple of defenders, couple of wingers and we’re a lot better off. Fail to get them and we’re in for another relly battle, I reckon.

• G 2

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Not the right players? I would have taken anyone over Geremi!!!!

We will get more injuries and be lucky to get top 6, we best get some decent loans!

• Davies

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM

It was never in question for me. The team and manager get my backing. It’s one of very few things they go get, so make it generous lads.

• JinkyGenius

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Stardust, the post-Munich Busby-Babes era is another example – as long as we remember success did not come overnight.

However, if we go with this youth first policy we need to be big enough to accept promotion might not happen this season, and not panic or go on a witch-hunt or ask for FFS to come back……. We need to back the academy-feeder strategy, and accept the outcomes (good and bad) without faltering or losing faith in the integrity of the plan.

Good things will come to those who wait, and, Lordy, how long have some of us been waiting…?

• Stardust

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Jinky – things like the schools initiative the club have put in place I absolutely love. I dont want to pay big money for players with hearts the size of peas, I would rather invest time and time again in youth development and the addition of a few seasoned great players.

The very best results will be a blend of experience, youth, and those who form the middle ground too.

I have always believed in what they have been trying to achieve – whether we are where we are by accident or design I am happy we are here.

I am prepared for many years of enjoying football the right way – keep Man City – it doesnt interest me, I want to associate with my team not just its results.

In the KK years many vilified the team for being overhauled 12points by Man U – I simply stated at the time that I was enjoying football more than I had ever done in my life. I want that feeling of belonging back – and I think we are on the road to it.

• Stuart79

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Gentleman,

Get a f**ing grip for christ sake!

I’ve read two comments on here comparing us to the ‘Busby Babes’ and Man U’s team of the 90’s with Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, Neville ect…

Jesus man! We’ve beaten Huddesfield with our kids that’s all!

Talk about running before we can walk.

This really is unbelievable!

• dave 1961

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

youth is great when you ease them in properly not just dump them in the deep end, its Russian roulette at bets, it the kids fail it will knock them back, if not destroy them.

• geordie deb

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Irish Toon

‘As it stands we have to put our faith in what we’ve got so I’m happy to do that, who’s with me?’

I’m with you on that Irish Toon. The likelihood is we may still get in another few loan signings to help bolster the numbers especially when we get the inevitable injuries/suspensions etc.
    I feel more positive about the situation than I have in a while. It’s not just where we are after 5 games, it’s the team spirit, people working for each other and the manager. We’ve not seen that for some time.

• lesh

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:43 PM

The last minute attempts at getting incomers smacks of the bluffing poker player – who could that be I wonder?

Instead of calling a a minute to 5 with a take it or leave it offer, a calculating head might have started the balls rolling earlier thus leaving some room for negotiating?

Not suggesting for a minute that that’s the way the afternoon went but just a thought.

• localhero95

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM

It was great we finally got Lovenkrands back but why did we wait until the last minute to get players. Also they said that we ran out of time to buy players! HOW! The window has been open all summer and we wait till the last minute to bring in one signing! I hope Moat doesn’t take over as he appears to have no money to buy the club never mind keep it running!