Transfer Window So Disappointing To Newcastle Faithful

Chris Hughton admitted that yesterday was a frustrating day for Newcastle United, and it turned out to be a more than frustrating day too for fans – and turned into another non event – just like last year.

newcastle-fans

Newcastle United fans – only two new players in this summer

And just to point out how hopeless the club is at communicating, why didn’t they put out an announcement after the window closed to tell fans that was it – nobody else was signed other than Lovenkrands.

Peter Lovenkrands was announced as a free signing, but we again waited for 60 minutes to see if that was it – and as time went by we had to assume it was, and it was more than disappointing.

And to sum up what we diod the last couple of days we also unloaded Xisco to Racing Santandar on a one year deal – so they were two good deals for the club.

But owner Mike Ashley has once again failed to come through for the Newcastle fans.

The good news was that we didn’t lose any of our remaining players, and we have some class players – especially for the Championship.

While they are expensive and we’ve criticized the lads probably too much our Argentine duo Gutierrez and Coloccini, have both looked very good this year, and we see it as a tribute to the status Newcastle United club that Maradonna has included both in his world cup squad, even though Newcastle are now in England’s second division.

And as time goes by, and maybe as they realize we could come straight back up – and that their World Cup places are not in jeopardy they seem a lot happier and dedicated to the Newcastle cause – we really hope so anyway.

Chris Hughton has said Newcastle had enquiries about some of their top players but they knocked them back – and that’s good to hear.

And today Chris is saying they were offered some players, and Mike Ashley had given Chris a small transfer budget – but no players came into that category. Translation – Mike gave Chris peanuts to spend.

And as we mentioned yesterday, Hughton wanted to bring in 20 year-old Manchester United center-back Craig Cathcart, but apparently could not agree terms with the Northern Ireland defender. News that the club may still try to get the youngster in within weeks.

But as some of our readers rightly pointed out to us in some of the comments yesterday, we excluded some of our own very good youngsters who could be really good this season.

We just haven’t seen enough of them really – so it’s us not them – to quote George of Seinfeld fame – for those readers in the US. 😀

Some of the youngsters we didn’t mention that are up and coming players follow:

• Callum Morris – 19 – tough tackling and tall center-back Ireland U19 International
  • Darren Lough – 19 defender – local Ashington boy
  • Brad Inman 17 – midfielder from Adeleide Australia – Scotland U19 international
  • Shane Ferguson 17 – left winger Northern Ireland International already
  • Samuel Adjei – 18 – Swedish striker signed last January
  • Frank Wiafe Danquash – 19 – striker
  • Ole Soderberg – 19 – Swedish goalkeeper

And to point out how the Newcastle official site needs to be updated they have Haris Vuckic listed in the first team squad – but with his position as unknown – come on give us a break.

This lad has already made two appearances for the first team this season, and could become the shock new star at the club, along with Nile Ranger – this season – and both are 6’2″ players by the way.

It’s a sign of this club’s complete lack of regard and understanding for their fans, that they don’t do little things like this – it’s called good communications.

As an example yesterday, there were big queues to get tickets for a local college football (American) game this Saturday, and the authorities went down the lines handing out free doughnuts to the fans, since the wait was long. Littel things mean a lot – hey that would be a great title for a song. 😀

Oh well – enough – and it’s got to be onward and upward from here – and a win at Cardiff a week on Saturday is the next important result we need – and certainly our players have not let us down this season – to their enormous credit.

• WELSHMAG

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Ed, Perhaps the authorities in the US should stop giving out free doughnuts as obesety is already a major problem and free doughnuts won’t help 😀 hee hee.

I get the point though, the toon army have been treated pretty badly for a few years now, if the americans take over they’ll get treated with respect and dignity and a free doughnut would go down pretty well I imagine.

• Eaststander

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I hear a lot of people go with the comments “You Cant expect kids to get us out this leauge” and so on. Let me ask you this, where would the kids go when we are in the premiership when they couldn’t cut it. Chopra? Ambrose? Ramage? etc. Now hands up people who have said that and ask would you have been happy to add them 3 this summer. Do you get what I am saying.

• Alex

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I would now be happy if they made Hughton permanent manager untill the end of the season with Calderwood his assistant . That would at least give the players a feeling that they are playing for thier manager and not thinking when will a new gaffer be brought in . It would shut the press up aswell , no more speculation of when Shearer is coming back or Joe Kinnear will return or any other trash they think of . We need some sort of stability and Hughton till the end of the season would provide it , He has passed all expectations so far so credit where it is due .

• ablokecalledjoan

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I have been surprisingly impressed with the lads efforts so far this season.
    Based on last seasons lack of fight and the complete farse going on with the owner i was expecting a shocking season in the championship and similar lack luster performances from an unmotivate squad! but……united are once again united and i very impressed with all the players efforts so far!!! They’re giving 100% every game which is reflecting in results!!! Even Tina Turner deserves a pat on the back!!! Got a lot of respect for Chris Hughton and the way he has approached all aspects of his managerial role!!!

• doofa the loofa

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM

did someone say free doughnuts?
    dohhhhhhhh.

• Macas35

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM

We get Seinfeld over here as well Ed! And come to think of it Ashley could be our Newman…

• Trent Toon

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Yer that was a rubbish transfer window, it would have been better for the club if it was not up for sale-although the players have inheritted a numbness and fighting spirit that is fueling them. Cathart signing would be good, also another striker and left back would be nice. Three signings is all we ask!!!

• doofa the loofa

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM

i think the powers at be are quite happy with how the team looks. should be able to get to jan with what we got. don’t think they could demote hughton till it all goes pear shaped. can’t be on that much dosh so it suits everyone. team looks better than i feared it would….

• Solaidback

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I think if we beat Cardiff we’ll be able to say we should win the fizzy in first time of asking, as they seem to be the club who’re going places 7 we need to beat them to prove we can be top of the fizzy!!

Other clubs I thought would give us a problem are Reading (beaten) Smoggies (not a problem now) WBA (Drew away, will beat at home) Derby (?) the rest of the teams should prove a little easier in my opinion but we should still be wary of them all, no slip ups!!

So if we win/draw all our game up until the New Year, we should be in a very good position for winning the Fizzy 🙂

• Dragonera

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Trent Toon

I’m with you there, mate. Although i don’t feel we are desperate for another striker.

• doofa the loofa

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

@Solaidback
    we wont finish top, no way.

we dont do easy here lad. lol

• bill

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

The point is Ramage, etc have had some experience and are no longer young. They would be okay in the Championship now but they probably wouldn’t have been when they were 17 or 18.

Don’t hang your hat on kids, one or two at a time can be given limited exposure but you cannot field any more than that without dire consequences. What we need is experience and that is what we have in limited amounts but it has worked thus far though we are now starting to get injuries.

• Stardust

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Well I woke up this morning not knowing where my thoughts would head – would I be bitterly disappointed or would I see the positives in what has happened over the summer.

Well I have chosen to see the positives, I see a club that has gone back to basics but has a good quality squad, I see a realism amongst the fans that wasnt screaming to sign trophy players of the past, I see the promising youths signed coming through who will be needed from time to time, I see a club that is set up to run for the future in an affordable way.

We can add loan signings, thats a relief for sure, but overall I feel I have got my club back, one I can associate with its values, I have despised the Shepherd years of trophy signings used in the shop window to distract the eyes as untold millions were removed.

I see a future a bright one, and I am really looking forward to this season.

For all those who want to sit and twist and whinge – you will enjoy your football and life a lot more if you see positives and dont chose to chase ghosts that possibly dont even exist.

This club is – from a business perspective, on its best footing for years, and from a football perspective – the foundations are set – you have to accept it till January – until then enjoy the game, enjoy the football, get back to what you watch the game for.

Yes…..I awoke feeling good about my clubs future again.

• baldynapper

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Is there any snippets or news on the possible takeover and Moat’s dealings with Barclays??

• JinkyGenius

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Wednesday, and I’m trying to take something positive out of yesterday’s deadline damp squib, Ashley ownership disaster & ongoing financial impasse. Maybe this is it.? OK it’s not hot off the press, but it’s still vaguely luke warm. I see that I find myself in full agreement with Stardust also….

Michel Platini (UEFA president) is pushing for financial changes in Europe that will address the skyrocketing expenses of ‘sugar daddies’. ‘Financial fair play’ will prevent clubs from spending in excess of their revenue. Implementing the plan would put a stop to Man City style cash gifts to the club & force clubs to ‘live within their means’. Platini points out that the change will also help to curb increasing debt loads, by limiting their ability to receive funding from a ‘big backer’ – as opposed to securing a repayable loan from a bank (sound familiar?).

Perhaps if the current crisis finally forces NUFC to operate as a sustainable club that ‘lives within its means’ (and with its loyal army of supporters its ‘means’ sure ain’t mean) it could signal the present pain will not be without long term gain? And on returning to the Prem we will have already been through the ‘cold turkey’ phase. So from now on a lot more of a critical eye as to the type of players we buy, and the wages we pay them, and the rake offs we push at agents. This process needs to be utterly transparent, and the balance sheet on the right side of the red line, and team raring to go game after game….

So, as Stardust alludes, no more Owen style disasters then, eh?

• Mark-o

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Donuts? Pah!

Can anyone remember the free scarfs and pints? That generosity for you!!!

Balls!! I’d trade every single scarf and pint for a winger or experienced CB to play with Taylor (oo-er missus!)

Thouroughly disapointing window but what did we expect? Lets hope this takeover happens smoothly and we can buy in January.

HOWEVER……… top of the fizzy pop with half a squad! That’ll do me like!

• Mark-o

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I agree with you stardust although i have to say having ashley and lambias in charge im not too sure about the financial foundations. I think we are a trip to the casino away from being put into administration.
    I hope im wrong.

• ObaMartins

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Disappointed ? NO….Expected YES

• premier

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Never mind Ashley might splash some cash in January. Give away free middles of the doughnuts anarl!!

• Dragonera

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Stardust Jinky

Good posts.

• Whumpie

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Stardust – I do agree with you to some extent. A lot, really.

BUT

1. We are a long, long way from solvent. We’re still stuck with several players on £3m+ per year.

2. Don’t be fooled by this excellent start. Hull, anyone? We’re several players short and could still be in danger of relegation if our usual injury rate hits. We had 11 players out at two points last season. Try taking 11 out of this squad and you’d be lucky to beat the local school’s reserves.

And Ed – what about WINGERS??

Right now we don’t have a single quick, experienced, fit winger. Not one!!

Loverboy can cut it on the flank, but he’s no specialist. We need THREE new, quick wingers in my opinion.

And I think we may get them. Loans are fine by me.

• Stardust

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Whumpie – the debt is manageable now whereas previously it wasnt. The scaremongering of a doomsday bust and administration is fanciful.

Yes we have players on 3m a year – they are short term debts with contracts that expire. If the fans turn up as they have been our future is exciting, to build a club in a proper way.

On the point re injuries – the lazy good for nothings we have had for the last few years were happy to sit in treatment rooms and take 50 or 100k a week from us, this new togetherness will see players push to get back earlier to play – thats what happens in tight teams.

I just wish they would sort out their communication – they have an opportunity to push on.

I am really looking forward to my football again – cant believe how energised I am today – maybe because the speculation is over – I know where we are, I know where we stand – thats a refreshing change.

• Stuart79

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Stardust // Sep 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

You have made my day already, thanks.

Does this bright new future on planet Stardust involve Mike Ashley?

• Stardust

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Stuart – I am not bothered about Ashley staying or going – I am looking forward to football – not wondering every day will we or wont we be sold.

I will take the positives if he goes and the positives if he stays – just the way I am.

• dave 1961

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM

am i the only one that can see the folly of starting a long season with the smallest squad in football history, we have an owner that will not pay players, but pays fat joe kinnear whilst waiting to bring him back in as manager, paying Wise £20,000 a week for doing nothing, well if you’s like this kind of owner your welcome to him, thick owner for thick fans.

• Whumpie

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Actually, Stardust, I think your angle on all of this is a lot more sensible than many of the doom-mongers.

Even if we do fail to bolster the squad and it all goes spoons, I don’t see why we shouldn’t recognise a few good things when we see them and enjoy winning for a change.

Here’s to the footie. B0ll0cks to the rest.