The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Harper – Players Fighting For Each Other

5:42 pm, Saturday, September 5th, 2009 by Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Steve Harper has said that Newcastle United can use their tag as Championship table-toppers after 5 games, as a platform for an immediate return to the Premier League – and if the lads can get promoted this season, there are going to be multitudes of happy Toon fans around the world.

Steve Harper - we’re fighting for each other

Despite the political nonsense at the club with Ashley trying to sell the club, which has been on sale for over 7 months in the last 12, the team spirit with the players has been nothing tremendous.

Harper told the Evening Chronicle today:

“People will talk about four clean sheets in a row – but that is down to a team effort.” “We’re coming up against big teams that are physical, but everybody deserves the credit for the clean sheet.”

“It’s great to be away for the international break at the top of the table – now we have to use it as a launchpad.” “To get three points against Leicester last week was fantastic.”

“The lads have put in six shifts of hard work and now they need to get their feet up.” “I’d like to think people can see that by the results we’ve had.”

“We’re fighting for each other and putting in committed displays.” “In this division it’s games like Leicester City that will get us through.”

“We’re well-organised and disciplined, and everybody is working their socks off.”   “I was pleased with my saves against Leicester.” ““I’m forever complaining to Steven Taylor for deflecting goals past me in training!”

“But against Leicester it helped me a little bit, Steve Howard heading it and it hit Tayls and probably helped me.” “It was an instinctive save.”

“I saved a free-kick from Paul Gallagher, but it was on my side and I would have been disappointed not to have kept that one out.” “But I was still pleased to get it away into a decent area.”

Certainly it is team spirit and desire that has characterised Newcastle’s play so far this season.

13 points from a possible 15 in our first 5 league games is good, and now we need to do that again, in our next 5 games.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Newcastle News · Steve Harper

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 OHurley // Sep 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Love to see the complete lack of egos. This is awesome. Finally we have a squad who’s givin’ each other the credit and takin’ none for themselves. I don’t know what exactly CH did, but hotdamn! it sure is workin’.

• 2 Tal_nufc4eva // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:04 PM

ed wots goin on today only 4 articles????? its normally 8 or more ?!?!

• 3 Big Dave // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Tal_nufc4eva Ed is just after having surgery so it might be a couple of days before he starts burning his fingers again.

• 4 Alex // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Its because Ed has had an operation Tal-nufc4eva . Hope the operation went well ED , and you have a speedy recovery

• 5 OHurley // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Ditto, Ed- hopin’ for a speedy recovery!!

• 6 OHurley // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Good to see some folks on here. I was gettin’ lonely hehe ;)

Seriously missin Rodzilla…

• 7 toonsy // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Hmm, it has been rather quiet!

• 8 toonsy // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM

On a plus note, got my ticket for Cardiff through today.

• 9 OHurley // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Toonsy-

I’m jealous m8. I would love to be going to that. Or any game for that matter. Sucks being 3000 miles away like…

• 10 tripp // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM

And you’re closer than I am, OHurley, by about 1000 miles. Don’t know that I could afford too many matches this season anyways. I had to cancel my Rapids season tickets to save money. I’ve only made one match all season. :(

• 11 sirjasontoon // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Glad the Ego’s have gone..they where Flops.
    Wish we had spent a few quid in the window but hey ho.

All I care about is the fight and will to win and players having pride when they put on the shirt.

• 12 toonsy // Sep 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM

SJT – That pride and courage being displayed by the players now will only wain if we dont get up this season. I cant see them staying around if we dont like.

• 13 Bill F // Sep 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

After watching the England game today I reckon Harper would make a better fist of it than Green, don’t suppose he’ll ever get a chance now though.
    As for Ed wasn’t the op on his ankle not his hands, probably has the laptop and banging away on it in bed. Unless you have a good insurance Ed the more painful part will be the bill. ;)

• 14 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Toonsy

Agreed. It is a bit of a catch 22 really.

1. If we go up this season, we are likely to hold on to the spine of our players and use them for the majority of our first season back in the prem. However, these players have already shown that they aren’t up to it at top level and we would stand a good chance of coming straight back down.

2. If we dont go up this season, we will lose the rest of our overpaid personel and have a fully cleansed squad on low wages. However, we will have to endure AT LEAST one more season in the Championship and it would be much more difficult achieving promotion from there on.

What do we want?

…Personally, i would rather we sold 2 or 3 of our high earners in January and replaced them with hugnry, younger players on lower wages. That way we have got half the season out of the overpaid players (which will stand us in good stead to finish in the top 2), but come July we won’t have to worry about offloading as many as we would have if we had kept all our players for the entire season. It’s risky, but our best bet in terms of our long term future imo.

• 15 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I would like to see Geremi and Barton replaced in January by lower earners. Coloccini could also go if needed, but i think he could do a job for us if his confidence remains high.

• 16 Alex // Sep 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Dragonera
    I see where your coming from but if we go up the whole mind set of the club will be diffrent from last season . The players will have had a successful season behind them , i belive the spine of the current squad would keep us up , the biggest money grabbers are gone ( Owen Viduka duff Cacapa ) if we could get rid of butt and Geremi that would be great . As for the rest i think most are honest players R Taylor and Nolan came to us at the worst possible time for them and i think they where shocked at how bad it was here ,that was bouned to affect thier game . I think those 2 along with a fully fit and fired up Smith and Barton would be a lot better than they showed last season . As for colo , i am still undiceded he may still come good , it was maybe too much of a culture shock for him last season . After all he is an Argentine international . With all the young guns a year futher i am sure we would stay up with the addition of 3 or 4 quality signings , Thier are worse teams than us in the prem ie Hull , Wigan and this season portsmouth .

• 17 bimpy474 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Anyone for deja vu.

• 18 pondering // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:12 PM

ah yes ahar ahar ahar yes yes yes yes oh of course yes yes ahar yes…..ahem 12 shillings and sixpence please…house rules dont be affraid.

• 19 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM

bimpy474 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I said a couple of weeks ago that Moat had the money and was just haggling over the price with Ashley.

His consortium have serious money but won’t pay over the odds for an asset.

I reckon the club will be sold for £80m

• 20 bimpy474 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Stuart79

Agreed he is still our best bet, thing is just like many others no doubt, i’m just fed up with it all, i put it mainly down to Fat Ashley’s lack of communication about the sale or should that be no communication.

• 21 pondering // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM

i’m not so sure about that mind stewie , i’m really not sure.

• 22 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM

It really doesn’t make sense for Moat to buy the club if he cannot afford it!

He ius our only hope and I think he will buy it of he can agree a price with Ashley.

• 23 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Alex

Good point, Alex. I guess I am just scared we will turn into a yo yo club if we hold on to our current batch.

• 24 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Alex

We will only end up a yo-yo club if Ashley stays.

• 25 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Stuart

Not so sure i agree with that.

• 26 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Stuart

Not so sure i agree with that.

I’ll give you my reasons then you can tell me why you disagree.

Promoted teams need at least £20-30m just to survive in the PL.

In all of the transfer windows under Ashley we have sold before we have bought and he has shown a great reluctance to spend big money on players.

If that trend continued we would get relegated that season due to lack of investement.

• 27 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Stuart

I agree with your reasons. However, I believe MA’s main reason for not spending around 20 million each year was our massive wage list. He didn’t do the due diligence so he didn’t foresee such outgoings. He is rich, but not a super rich owner. Think about it, how many other owners would spend money on signings if their team had a wage list like ours. We really were in terrible shape and we are only recovering from it now. Once we have offloaded our 75% -80% of our big earners I am pretty sure he wouldn’t mind spending.

This is not to say MA has been a good owner. He has made some good decisions, but his shady approach has turned the majority of fans against him. If he would have come out and just said, “look, I can’t really afford to sign players until the wage list decreases, but will gladly spend after”. Then we would have accepted it. But he didn’t and instead tried to distract fans with publicity stunts and the return of “The Messiah”.

• 28 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 9:54 PM

True Dragonera,

I argued he should have paid off half the debt and spent the rest in the transfer market.

We certainly wouldn’t be in the Championship now that’s for sure.

Although he would have had to have choose the right manager to spend it.

• 29 Ashley Hole // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM

MA should go hel* and burn 10000000 years..slowly roasted fuc*!

• 30 Ashley Hole // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

…..i hate MA…

• 31 Ashley Hole // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM

That animal destroyed this club.

• 32 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Stuart

Glad you see where I’m coming from, mate. I read a fantastic article by Bowburn the other night. It was regarding MA’s time at the club. It was basically about whether we would be grateful of MA’s arrival in the future and we have had time to reflect on the situation. To be honest, i can see myself being very happy he came here. He has made awful decisions, but look what he has already achieved;

He has lowered our wage bill and we will soon be self sustainable (hopefully).

Got rid of almost all of the deadwood in a couple of seasons.

Lowered the expectations of the fans (This needed to be done as we were living above our means and only a matter of time until it came crashing down).

Developed what is looking like a strong academy, which means we are no longer forced to delve into the market every time we want a good player.

It is undeniable that when we return to the premiership we will be a much stronger club.
    Yes he got us relegated but it has been coming for years and I am glad to just get it out the way.
    Yes he has humiliated us at times, but i believe that was purely down to his lack of football knowledge e.g. his stereotypical belief that all footy fans are beer swivelling goons in the stands.

You might argue that he has had everyone laughing at us, but can you honestly say they weren’t laughing before he came? People laughed before and they will continue to laugh after he has left. That is just the way it is, nobody likes us but we don’t care.

What are your thoughts?

• 33 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Dragonera,

I feel Ashley genuinely bought NUFC to do good things but he employed his friends to run the club.

His friends have let him down horrendously IMO.

Your thoughts on the acadamy – We don’t know yet whether the players brought in will be any good. Middlesbrough have a great acadamy and they ended up the same place as us.

Also, I don’t know why we needed to get relegated to reduce the wage bill.

Why couldn’t we have done it in the PL?

We had been in decline before Ashley turned up but he speeded the process up.

In short he was let down badly by people he trusted and I wonder if he really knew what was going on up here.

Would you tell ya boss you were making a pigs ear of things????

• 34 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM

What are your thoughts on taking Nobby back on a year long loan?

Someone suggested it the other day and I am watching him right now. He could still definitely add quality to our team, and is a far better player than Geremi…even if he is just as slow, haha!

• 35 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM

He wasn’t the quickest anyway so he would be a real asset. I think we need to look forward though not back.

• 36 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Stuart

In my opinion we needed to get relegated to get rid of a lot of the deadwood. Otherwise they would have just stayed with us in the prem and carried on picking up their wage slips. We have already seen how important playing in the prem is for some of these players. Many of them have taken a wage cut to remain at the top level.

Regarding our youth, whether or not they turn out to be as good as we hope, we cannot deny that the academy has improved in quality. With players like Vuckic, Ranger, Kadar etc all on our books. These are players that are likely to feature in the first team this year.

How i see it, when we return to the prem, if we can strengthen the squad with a few quality players we will definitely be a much stronger club than before. Also, a much more attractive club for potential buyers.

• 37 Toonmania // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

not sure i like the bit about lambarse or the ashley bit for that matter but i suppose it depend on how much of a share it would be

• 38 Stuart79 // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I suppose time will tell.

I have no faith in Ashley splashing the cash if we get relegated.

He probably feels hard done to and he probably thinks were ungrateful. But I don;t think he knows what we have been through for the past 12 months.

Lalmbias, Jiminez and Wise have probably told him everything was hunky dorey.

He wants out and most want him out.

I don’tthink the club can move forward until that day. The euphoria that Ashley leaving would create would be unbelievable.

I cannot wait to be at that game!

• 39 Dragonera // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Stuart

I think MA may be in cahoots with Moat. Moat may just be the face of the club whilst MA remains in the background. Just a feeling.

• 40 batty // Sep 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

spot on stu

• 41 Alex // Sep 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Dragonera & Stuart79
    its refreshing too see both of your opinions , two fans that seem to see things in perspective . MA will have to go because too many will never give him another chance , yes he has made massive mistakes , but they where never meant , he tried but was just not up to the job .
    Lets just hope who ever he sells too know what they are doing

• 42 tripp // Sep 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Good discussion Dragonera and Stuart. More of that sort of banter, please. Personally, I don’t think Ashley will sell now. It makes no sense unless he’s absolutely desperate. We have a very good chance of going right back up, at which time he’ll be able to command a better price for the club. Why would he sell now if that’s a real possibility… unless he really just wants to bugger off.

previous post: Kevin Nolan One Of New Leaders At Newcastle Club