Newcastle Small Squad Could Be Decimated by Injuries

Chris Hughton will be without Jonas Gutierrez for the tough game at Cardiff this Sunday.

jonas-gutierrez-1222

Jonas Gutierrez – injured for Cardiff game

Ryan Donaldson and Nile Ranger will possibly be playing tonight for the England Under-19 team against Russia at Shrewsbury, so we have to hope the two lads come through that unscathed.

Chris Hughton said:

“We went through a very good period in pre- season when, at any given time, we didn’t have more than two injuries.”

“We have now picked up a couple to players who started the season very well in Shola and Jonas.”

“We know there will be periods of the season where we do have injuries and we’ll be really stretched, but you want as many players as fit as possible.”

One of the things that is scary to us, with such a small squad, is we always have lots and lots of injuries during a season, for whatever reason.

If that continues this season, which we should really expect, it could decimate our squad and seriously impact our promotion push.

That’s just one reason we are hoping for some new loan signings soon.

• Trent Toon

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

We need maximum loan signing! Its as simple as that… We scraped through last season after the exodus, we surely won’t this season…

• G

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM

We need at least 4 decent loans, with a proven track record at this level. We need to be looking at the likes of Stoke & Hull to see which players they have that are not getting a game, but which were enough to get them promoted to the prem. Sad but true.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Few more bodies would not go amiss.
    If Ashley had of spent in the last window on 4 decent players we would have walked back into the prem.

It’s getting boring now and as predicted this sale will not happen or was ever intended to happen.

• Whumpie

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM

We do need to get a lot of bodies in, BUT – I think we should just plug the obvious gaps (LB, CB, Wingers, striker) for now and wait until the need hits (i.e. injuries) before using up the rest of the quota and wasting money on salaries.

By all means scope out and negotiate in advance – but there’s no reason to rush into signing on the dotted line for more than a handful right now.

• Whumpie

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Incidentally, if you want to know how to avoid injuries, go no further than our own Gary Speed:

I do the same – a couple of Ashtanga sessions (that’s the really hard, exhausting kind that gives Madonna arms like a boxer) and you get kinda bomb-proof.

It also trains you to burn energy at a huge rate for 2 hours at a time, and gets your head straight.

Perfect, really.

I did write to the club pointing this out a couple of seasons back and got a dismissive “we do a bit of yoga in our regime” but you don’t need a bit – you need a LOT: 4 hours a week of full-tilt Ashtanga will keep anyone playing.

• custurd

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Going slightly off topic… okay flying off on a tangent – apparently Cheryl Cole would love to buy NUFC.

Getting celebrity (?) toon fans to put together a consortium might not be a bad idea : Cheryl Cole, Ant and Dec, Jimmy Nail, Robson Green, Sting, Brian Johnson (AC/DC), Steve Harmison, Sid Waddell, Gabby Logan, Chris Eubank, Tony Blair and that air head ex-big brekfast presenter-ess — surely they could raise a few quid between them?

And besides, i would pay good money just to get them all together in one place and see how the conversation goes!

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Memo to M Ashley.

Please note and take appropriate action to minimise the risk of this!

• Geordie Cobbler

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Just remember….

Ohhhhhh Gutierrez
    From Buenos Aires
    He’s spiderman

Invinceble… he’ll be back in no time 😉

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Memo to M Ashley

Just to make sure you understand what your supposed to do, take action to top up the squad to ensure we’ve enough experience to to cope with injuries!

Important – If Cheryl and her pals knock on your door, be nice to them…. geddit!

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Sting is a Toon fan?? I knew there was a reason I always liked that bloke!

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Ahh, just found out Sting is from Wallsend. That explains it. Awesome.

• Stuart79

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Lets cut through the Sh*t – This squad isn’t big enough!

• Johno Toon

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I think I would lobe Cheryl Cole even more if she bought the toon!

• Johno Toon

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM

lobe should be love!

• dinosaur

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM

We might actually hope that the squad is only “decimated”. That would mean that just one field player in the team out of ten would be injured at any one time. (Latin for ten = decem)

• dave 1961

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM

just as well no one included gazza as last time he was seen he was on his wary to Spain and very worse for the drink, so much so they were not going to let him on the easy jet, although i am ofter critical of drunks and drug addicts, he is a grown man & buys the booze with his own money, and was no problem to any other passenger, and i just hope we don’t have to bury another idol this year.

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Dave-

Does Gazza spend all of his time drunk? I’m trying to figure out how a guy his age could look so bad…

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Just wiki’d Cheryl Cole. I’m impressed. I think she might one of the 3 hottest English chicks I’ve ever seen. The others bein Kate Beckinsale and Elizabeth Hurley (who at some point along the family tree, I’m actually related to lol)

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM

OHurley // Sep 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Ahh, just found out Sting is from Wallsend…. sad to say OHurley that that’s as far as it goes.

He never gets back to Wallsend if he can possibly avoid doing so.

A bit like others that call themselves ‘geordies’ such as Alan Price and James Bolam who’ve ridden on the back of their roots and kept the distance after finding fame.

Just because they talk Newastle doesn’t mean they live Newcastle!

• dave 1961

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM

no OHurley i don’t think gazza does. but he’s been warned to stop drinking or he could die as a result, & i am sure none of us wants that day to come. the day we bury another of our own.

• dave 1961

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM

James Bolam is a macum he supports sunder land

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM

OHurley, Gazza’s has a hard paper-round and has his problems.

On the up-side though, we’re told that beneath it all there’s a heart of gold!

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

dave 1961 // Sep 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM

James Bolam is a macum he supports sunder land

Whoops apologies to Sunderland and sighs of relief from Tyneside

• magpie6699

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM

lesh – Alan Price has also always been a Sunderland supporter – he managed to get it into a song when I saw him live in about 1827!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM

just seen modeste m’bami is a free agent, very good player, why have we not looked into the possibility of that, i wanted him when we were linked 2 summers ago

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Sad to hear about Gazza. Maybe if drinkin’ makes him a plonker, he should stop?

As for celebrities that disown Newcastle, why would they do that? Is Tyneside not a good place to live? I mean other than sh!te weather and bad food, what’s so bad about it? 🙂

• dave 1961

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM

i don’t think its the weather or the food its purely down to money. when i was younger i went away to work, and then spent all the money i had made when i came back at the weekend for the match, and often i would return for the away games to.

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Just curious as to why you support the Toon if you are unaware of the area and the people of Tyneside but I suppose it takes all kinds and it’s just another football club!

Tbh I love the fact we have supporters around the world but is Sting from Newcastle or is Gazza a drunk……. sigh, what about is Peter Pan handsome or ugly bloke with a talent!

• Ben_BKK

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM

GG7 – too late mate, Wigan have taken him on trial…

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM

dave 1961 and magpie6699 //.. I was referring to those who’ve made their names by exploiting their geordiness then disown it when it suits them!

Unlike dave1961 who worked away and came back for weekends and the match, some of our more famous cousins don’t even bother doing that.

Another, and he’s not a Newcastle ladnor fan but was from Washington in County Durham and studied art at Newcastle University at the time living in a student house at 1 St Geroges Terrace, Jesmond, is Brian Ferry who continues to play on his geordie roots.

A genuine made it and proud to be geordie – Brian Johnson, AC/DC.

• lesh

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Ben_BKK // Sep 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM

GG7 – too late mate, Wigan have taken him on trial…

and he’s been injured hence being released – hence the need to prove his fitness

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:11 PM

MacToon-

Sorry that knowledge of the Toon doesn’t come quite as innately to me as to you. You were born into this club. I *chose* to make it my own. Pardon me for actually trying to *learn* something. @$$.

• Johno Toon

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Well said o’hurley!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM

The weather may not be great O’Hurley..this is England just incase you didn’t know.

As for Shit food…If you want to eat Northern Shit I will send you some fresh turd preserve in a Vintage Newcastle Bukta Sock from ’75.

• MacToon

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I appretiate that OHurley and like I said it’s great to have fans around the world but it’s not like Gazza is ancient history infact he’s been discussed alot here recently because of the rumours of his death… lol

All I can say really is that is a little difficult to take views and/or opinions onboard if there very little knowledge there to begin with. Sorry but that’s my opinion.

Anyway imo Newcastle and more so the North East of England is one of the best kept secrets around, can you remember Harry “the dodgy” Redknapp wondering if there would be any places to walk his dog if he took the job on here!

Google away there’s alot about this area to be proud of.

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Johno,

Thanks m8. It completely annoys me that someone on here would be so unsupportive. I mean, I’m born and raised in Tennessee. I’m maybe one of 5 Newcastle supporters in this entire state. And it’s only 3000 miles away…

• Johno Toon

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Only 3000 miles away? That is no excuse then , if it was 3001 I could understand but not 3000 🙂

• Shot Bru

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Spot on O’Hurley. By the way Lesh i was born in Wallsend and the only reason i go back is to visit my 96 yr old Nana, otherwise i have no reason to visit the place, a bit like Sting. I have lived just about all my life in another country but it doesn’t make me any less proud to be a Geordie. In fact you should embrace the expat Geordies because the vast majority are great ambassadors for the great city that is Newcastle.

• dave 1961

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM

sting used to deliver my grans milk, and she new him well, & like him as much to, so he cant be that bad.

• OHurley

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Johno-

LoL m8. Yeah, believe me, if I could just drive there, I’d have been there a dozen times already. I just hate flying. Can’t stand it.

Shot Bru-

I’d love to actually meet an expat Geordie. To this day, I’ve never met a real Geordie. Ya dont’ come by many in Tennessee. I’ve gotten quite a bit of ridicule when I wear my strip, though. From other English blokes. Scousers, cockneys, and the like. Didn’t get me down though. I chose to support Newcastle, and nobody will ever change my mind on that.