Well Deserved Manager Of Month For Hughton

As expected Newcastle manager Chris Hughton has won the Manager of the Month award for August in the Coca-Cola Championship

chris hughton  513018933

Chris Hughton – deserves award

Hughton takes his team to Cardiff City on Sunday and will no doubt dedicate the award to his players, after their courage has taken the team to the top of the Championship.

Bobby Moncur told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I actually felt sorry for Chris at the start of the season.” “I think he only had a rough idea what was going on in the boardroom.”

“He probably felt isolated and that is always hard as a manager – I can vouch for that because I’ve been there!”

“Chris inherited a lot of problems when he came in again in the summer but he has managed to turn it all around and Colin Calderwood and all the backroom team deserve a lot of credit for that.”

“When Chris came in he was dealing with a lot of players whose minds were elsewhere.” “A lot of them went, but he still had to motivate them.”

“He’s deserved the credit all the way along. Nobody deserved the award for manager of the month more than Chris.”

Chris was the obvious winner since he had the best record in the league in August, and when you realize the terrible state the club is still in at its upper levels – it was even more obvious he was the top man in August.

Enjoy it Chris and congratulations – but we want you to get the award for September too, so let’s ensure we take care of Cardiff come Sunday. 😀

• Bigbadbob

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Well deserved award for putting up with those above him and not chinning them

• sirjasontoon

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Well done CH…Keep up the good work.

• Tino 11

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Well done Chris, let’s hope he wins a few more which will mean we are doing well. I wonder how many caretaker managers have won it before?

• Bigbadbob

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Hughton deserves a hefty bonus from Ashley for keeping the club in one piece and more, he can afford it when you look at the profits hes made from the trackie bottoms.
    The Chron are reporting that the USA takeover is nearing completion, they are far from local which will please a lot of posters on here.

• premier

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:27 PM

a caretaker messiah!!

• Tino 11

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:31 PM

@ premier

It must be sad that your own club is boring and unloved that you have to come on here to comment.

What’s your name going to be next season? We will have traded places then! 🙂

• lesh

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Bob Moncur’s words nicely sum up the conditions that Hughton’s had to work under.

If they’re on the mark, then Llambias’ behaviour’s been deplorable. I cite Llambias in particular as he’s supposed to be Ashley’s authority on the ground. A terrible way to treat his reportees and he either needs to manage properly or get out!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

well done ch and dont forget colin calderwood lads, he also has played a massive part

• Dragonera

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Is anyone else missing AO/Nando/Fernando?

I found some of his comments hilarious.

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Well done to Chris & Colin, very good work in not a good situation!

Keep them coming lads!

Newcastle 1-0 Cardiff
    Smith (62)

• Nick D

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Bigbadbob, yes you can really trust the home grown geordies – Not !!!!
    Freddy shepherd anyone?

• sirjasontoon

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Dragonera…one troll dies another pops up and replaces them.

Bit like a blog cancer 🙂

• sirjasontoon

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Been rubbing your crystal Ball….Smith 62 haha

• Kevin Nichol

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I miss Tom_Toon…!!!

What a Tit! He claimed to be an international super scout; when really he wasn’t old enough to buy a pint of beer and stayed at home every night playing championship manager so he could come on here and reel off foreign players names!

Well done chris hughton! You now have my respect! I thought Hughton should have been man enough to refuse the job at the beginning of the season after clearly not cutting the mustard in his previous two stints in charge! But as i say; well done and keep up the good work!

Anyone got any info other than press speculation about who might be coming in? x

• pubcat

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM

It’s difficult to make changes with things going well right now, but if we do get a new owner soon (IF!) then I think CH and CC have earned the right to be confirmed coaches to the new manager. That’s all really, but I’d definitely like to see the two of them backing up whoever gets appointed.

I suppose Shearer is still the obvious choice. Let’s face it, had we started the season badly instead of really well everyone would be crying out for that now. Shearer does seem to be a bit of a blunt instrument in some ways though – on the plus side he’s a great leader, on the negative side maybe tactically lacking. Shearer might also stick with the Butts kind of players, when we are more excited about the youngsters coming through? Maybe that’s not true, I don’t know, but we probably wouldn’t want Dowie as coach and a silly 3-5-2 formation again. Like Ed said, if it does turn out to be Shearer, let him continue the way things are going but keep CH/(CC) and then round things off by a) keeping the best players we have, and Shearer’s strong character can help there and b) getting a few more in.

It’s good to know we at least have CH though, and that he’s maturing in the role at last.

• Tino 11

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Kevin Nichol // Sep 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I miss Tom_Toon…!!!

————————————————————
    Did you just leave us all a kiss at the end of your post! 🙂

• sirjasontoon

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM

International Cub Scout Tom Toon….haha

• Kevin Nichol

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM

It looks that way yes 🙂 Here’s another just for good measure…x

I must be happy because we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE….C’MON

• Dragonera

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM

sir jason toon

Yes, but this Premier bloke is a poor excuse for a troll. There is no witty banter and a bit slow to be honest, haha.

• Dragonera

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Dragonera

I agree Tom Toon was a bit overpowering with his player suggestions. Sometimes you could almost feel his anger through the monitor when someone dismissed one of his player recommendations, it was hilarious, haha.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:16 PM

yeah were is tom toon these days?

• G

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I have a suggestion for the people missing Tom Toon… get him with the 2nd shot!

Cheers

G

• Dragonera

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM

My last post was meant for Kevin Nichol, not myself funny enough.

• DevonMag

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Haha nice one G, and congrats to mr Hughton, so much respect for that man these days! When he was at the helm in the prem I felt sick with worry every time, but look now.

• Tino 11

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Chris looks like he even has black and white striped hair in that photo!

• MacToon

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Agree with Bobby Moncur and maybe a medal would’n’t go amiss either.

Well done CH.

• dave 1961

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM

“…To form an administration of this scale and complexity is a serious undertaking in itself, but it must be remembered that we are in the preliminary stage of one of the greatest battles in football history, that we are in action at many points in England an in wales, that we have to be prepared in the Mediterranean, that their battle is continuous and that many preparations have to made here at home. In this crisis I hope I may be pardoned if I do not address the Geordie nation at any length today. I hope that any of my friends and colleagues, or former colleagues, who are affected by the political reconstruction, will make all allowance for any lack of ceremony with which it has been necessary to act. I would say to the Geordie, as I said to those who have joined this football club: “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.”

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny (mike Ashley), never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory – victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”

” …We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Cardiff and on Blackpool and Peter-borough; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our goal whatever the cost may be; we shall fight in Ipswich, don caster & reading, in Darby, & in Sheffield and on to plymoth. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this city or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Toonarmy, will carry on the struggle until in God’s good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old.
    “well done Chris”

• Geordie Cobbler

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:06 PM

NUFC-0809-Oh Dear // Sep 10, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Well done to Chris & Colin, very good work in not a good situation!

Keep them coming lads!

Newcastle 1-0 Cardiff
    Smith (62

Whats odds you get for that? 5000/1 lol

• workyticket

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:47 PM

pubcat // Sep 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM

“It’s difficult to make changes with things going well right now, but if we do get a new owner soon (IF!) then I think CH and CC have earned the right to be confirmed coaches to the new manager.”

Pubcat, if that happened, Hughton would probably be offered a manager’s position somewhere else.

This idea that he is just some kind of backroom dogsbody who’ll just accept being taken for granted forever is much mistaken. The only reason he hasn’t been a manager so far is because of his very long relationship with Tottenham.

• Nick D

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM

dave1961 – a very fine year by the way.

• Nick D

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

dave1961

You’re not Troy Stavers on yet another comeback are you. At least if you are, it’s more original and funny this time round.

• workyticket

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Nick D // Sep 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM

“You successfully managed to side step a xenophobic speech about the geordie nation bollocks and turned it something well. ….really rather wonderful.”

Nick, It’s a famous Churchill speech from 1940.

• Nick D

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM

No sh.t Worky,

I’m glad you told me that !!!!

• punk skunk...

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Uh Oh!..
    …Kiss of death!..

• JinkyGenius

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:11 PM

As expected, but no less of an achievement. In over 40 years of attending matches I cannot remember such a gutsy performance in the face of this level of adversity either on or off the pitch.

Respect, and heartfelt thanks. No-one, and I mean no-one, could have done any more than this in the circumstances.

• workyticket

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Nick D // Sep 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM

“No sh.t Worky,

I’m glad you told me that !!!!
    I know it’s a Churchill speech man, I just enjoyed dave1961’s re-working of it !!!”

Aye, I knaa Nick.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before Ashley was compared with Hitler! 🙂

• dave 1961

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:48 PM

no i’m no one in disguise just board & chained to computer since a thick Makem thought he would run me down.