Newcastle Coach Colin Calderwood Tells It Like It Is

Colin Calderwood has talked today about what it’s been like being at Newcastle since January of this year.

colin calderood sdkf

Colin – gets a laugh from Nile Ranger

Colin talked today about life at the Newcastle club this year:

“It was always going to be a good experience coming to Newcastle.” “What I’ve had here so far will hold me in good stead for the future.”

“I’m trying to take maximum advantage of that and learn from the situation we’re in.” “We’ve gone through almost every scenario you could have in football.”

“You learn about managing situations and things that happen.” “There are situations in football when you think ‘what would we do if this happened?’”

“But more or less everything HAS happened or we have seen it coming.” “We’ve gone through ups and downs and that will continue. It will happen all season – the spotlight will always be on us.”

“At any football club there are problems behind the scenes.” “They just aren’t as well publicised as they are here.”

Many fans have labeled these last 12 months as the worst ever in Newcastle’s long and proud history.

But Calderwood looks at it differently, and still thinks that  football clubs will always be about the 11 players lucky enough to be on the field to represent their club each match day.

When asked if his experiences this year would give him some know-how on how to manage a crisis at a football club he said:

“I wouldn’t put that term on it.” “From a coaching point of view, you can see by the look on players’ faces whether they want to train and whether they have an appetite to play for this club.”

“That has always been there with this group of players.” “The situation last season didn’t end the way anybody wanted it to.”

“We can now only address what is ahead of us at the minute.” “As nice as the start has been (to this season), it’s the next batch of the games that’s important to us.”

“It’s very important for us to have the team spirit we’ve had and the work ethos. That’s been a big part of the club.” “The players trained unbelievably hard in pre-season to get themselves into the right shape to make sure we started well.”

“The difference, though, in this league is that if you reset the season and started again, any of the teams in the bottom eight could easily be in the top eight.”

“I think it can be quite a level and close division.” “The difference between playing Sheff Wed or Preston, or a team that is lower down, is minimal.”

“The level we’ve seen so far is the level we will see all season.” “Consistency will be the key for us.”

And Calderwood is really looking forward to the 3rd place versus 1st place game in the Championship on Sunday:

“I know the English aren’t very well liked in Wales!”  “But seriously I know they are very passionate about their football.”

“Whenever I’ve been at a Cardiff game it’s been like that.”  “Obviously we aren’t at Ninian Park, we are at a new stadium. But this is the perfect game for us.”

“It’s another high-level game and one where we are really testing ourselves against a team with an exemplary home record.”

As we all know, local lad Michael Chopra, who is a top striker in the Championship but for whatever reason cannot seem to cut the mustard in the Premier League, could be a big  threat to Newcastle on Sunday.

Colin added:

“Michael has been left this club for quite a while now.” “He’s plied his trade at Cardiff and at Sunderland.”

“I’m sure this is his first club, though, and he’ll have some fond memories of the place.” “But he’ll be making sure that Cardiff win.”

“He’s in fine form and he’s a major factor for them.”

Another win on Sunday will keep the mood on Tyneside decidedly upbeat, and it could be further proof that we could indeed do it this season, and go straight back up.

Wouldn’t that be something!

• Toon Chicken

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I hope they show the Championship in Greece!

See ya’s in ten days lads!!! 🙂

• DevonMag

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Totally off topic here but the guy that writes the captions for the training pics on the official website is the biggest mug in the world. Such a div, week in week out he comes up with puns somehow weaker than the week before! (definitely no pun intended there)
    I remember once there was a picture of Vuckic training and the caption was “slov labour…”
    Moron.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well funny Devon Mag…..anymore?
    🙂

• DevonMag

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Nah Jason can’t remember off the top of my head, have a look on the site, they’re there every week before games. I’ll look a couple up

• DevonMag

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM

ON THE PULL … United lads warm down at end of session

JOE GO … Barton holds off Kazenga

two examples of todays fine comedic verve

• komfort

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM

toon chicken…it’s like an oven in greece…careful you dont get roasted.

• Bill F

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM

At the risk of sounding optimistic, I reckon we will a lot more games than we lose and will get automatic promotion, the squad even as it stands is probably much better than any other in this league. And the players really seem to be gelling under the present coaching regime.

The picture reminds me of the Up Pompei scene where Michael Horden was able to goose young ladies with no hands. “weren’t me coach”

• Bill F

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Left out the word win, please slot in as appropriate. 🙂

• sirjasontoon

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I will look out for them Dmag 🙂
    Can’t beat Corny Captions !

• sirjasontoon

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Bill like I have said we have the talent with a fully fit squad to get promoted I have no doubts.

What left me bemused was the transfer window that has again been ignored by Mr Ashley…It is just so short sighted…4 decent additions say 12m and we would be laughing all the way back to the premiership….easily.

• Johno Toon

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Totally agree sjt

• Bill F

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM

SJT, totally agree but it seems to me, with the odd exception, our recent forays into the transfer market havn’t really helped us. Ironically it’s what MA has done right, ie the young blood that seems to be our best future hope. I would rather we spent nothing rather than get in players who are not good enough or spend most of their time on the treatment bench. Although some of our misfits are much better now they are fit and match fit.

• G

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I have to agree with SirJasontoon here, although Bill F also supplies a valid proposal, however, a compromise of both investment and youngsters is surely the way to go forward. League results from Manyoo and Arsenal would suggest that you have to invest in proven players as well as providing youngsters is how you progress to greatness?

• Bill F

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I probably should have added the proviso that MA historically aint a spender, so don’t expect big investment in players. Seems to me that the coaches really do have to coach to get the best out of the squad, which they are doing. And is necessary as a disparate bunch of great players can be bad under a poor coach in any league.

• dave 1961

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM

the coaches are not working miracles, what they are doing is a thoroughly professional job, we wont know anything until we hit a bad spell. but saying that, the professional way they have gone about thing could eliminate some of the likely problems, one game at a time, we will have a better idea Sunday night.