Cardiff vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Cardiff City   _FC_logo nufc-crest

This is a game Newcastle must not lose if they are to keep up their initial strong challenge for promotion this season.

And the Newcastle team will no doubt be going all out for a win to keep their place at the top of the Championship table.

A win by Cardiff will see them leapfrog the Tyneside club.

Newcastle have three players out injured. Newly crowned Championship Player Of The Month Shola Ameobi is out for a few weeks, after having a minor operation on his foot, to assist his stress fracture.

Unfortunately our other striker Andy Carroll has not recovered form his injury, and is still not available and Argentine International will still be out for a couple more weeks.

Newcastle will be able to field their strongest defense tomorrow, and we expect young Nile Ranger, the England U19 International to keep his place up front, after a tremendous performance from the Londoner, in the second half against Leicester City.

We would expect Kevin Nolan, with two goals to his name already this season, to play up front with Ranger, in his usual withdrawn striker role.

Club captain Nicky Butt is available and we expect Chris to bring him straight back into the side in central midfield.

Here’s the team we expect manager Chris Hughton to field for the tough game at Cardiff tomorrow:

Harper
Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique
Barton Butt (c)  Smith Guthrie
Ranger Nolan
Subs: Krul Kadar Tozer Geremi LuaLua Taylor R. Lovenkrands

New Championship Manager Of The Month Hughton, will have some options with his subs, and we would expect newly signed Danish International Peter Lovenkrands to get some playing time in the second half.

For Cardiff City Jay Bothroyd has declared himself fit following his hamstring injury.

There were fears the hamstring injury he picked up at DoncasterRovers two weeks ago, may have exacerbated an underlying knee problem.

But that’s the case and Bothroyd returned to training this week and will partner local Newcastle lad Michael Chopra up front.

Newcastle will need to be strong in defense to contain the former Newcastle united striker since Michael already has 8 goals this season.

The talented midfielder Joe Ledley will play tomorrow, despite breaking a bone in his wrist, and will wear a plaster cast to protect it from further damage.

In front of the first sell-out crowd at the beautiful new Cardiff City Stadium, the atmosphere tomorrow will be electric, as both sets of fans will urge on their teams, who are currently 3rd and 1st in the Coca Cola Championship,  prior to this weekend’s games.

We expect a crackerjack of a match.

Howay The Lads!!

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Someone please shoot Nicky Butt for me! ARGGHHH! If he starts we’ve lost the match and got relegated to league 1, the worst player in our squad, in the championship infact, actually in the whole football system. I would rather have a f**king 10 year old playing than him. ARGHH!!! Lucky this is just your own prediction of the team tomorrow Ed, hopefully R Taylor will start on the right with Barton in the centre.

• Rangerman

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I would be happy with a draw tomorrow.

• Stuart79

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I’ll take a win – Minimum.

Boro and WBA both look like winning.

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Scum winning 4-1 🙁

I’d still take a point tomorrow, West Brom and Boro havn’t had the games we have. We’ve already played West Brom, and Palace away – 2 tough games and we can add Cardiff to that tomorrow.

• dougnufc

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Lol at Adebayor celebration

• Stuart79

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM

toonsy // Sep 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM

We’ve played four out of six at home!

• Johno Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Think a point would be great result in cardiff

• Rangerman

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I agree, toonsy.

Before the season started I thought West Brom, Sheffield Utd, Boro and Cardiff would be our hardest away games, this time tomorrow we would have got 2 of those out of the way.

We’re not going to win every game this season but as long as we keep picking up the wins at home then we should be ok.

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Stuart79 – That wasn’t my point! My point was that our away games have been against supposed stronger teams compared to someone like West Brom who have been away to Peterborough.

And we’ve only played 3 at home in the league, im not counting cup games as they are, to say the least, not very high on my list of priorities for this season.

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Although West Brom have played at Sheff Utd.

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM

8 Rangerman // Sep 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Sometimes i feel like the expectation is that we HAVE to win every game in this league. If we dont, and we wont, then we are only just around the corner from another meltdown imo as some fans just cant handle defeat.

I love seeing us win, but im also real enough to know that this wont happen through a whole season. I spent a lot of time and money following the team around the country but last season i felt very short changed as some of the effort by some of the players was well lacking of what i’d expect. Thats changed this season (so far), and im enjoying it much more following a team around who actually tries. The fans can see this in the stands and react to it.

• Johno Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Toonsy

Spot on!

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Yna what…I’m going to be very pessimistic about tomorrow and I don’t think we will get a point. Then again we might win but I can’t see it happening, this will be our hardest game of the season if not Boro will be. We need another experienced striker in, if Caleb Folan or anyone who is experienced and knows where the net is JERMAINE BECKFORD! comes in I’ll be happy. But Ashley needs to pull his finger out his ar$e and maybe shell out on loan deals to buy. Beckford and Baird anyone?

• Johno Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Mag land yeah those two players would really improve the team/squad for this level. Again spot on

The way i look at this league is that 90 points should get us promoted, we have 13 so we need about 77 points which is 25 wins out of 41 games.Hopefully we be good enough to get that

• MacToon

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM

With basically a premiership keeper, defence (bar Simpson maybe) and midfield it will be interesting to see how Cardiff play against us and create chances and whether Chopra gets many chances.

Game of the season for us so far but at the same time it’s not against the likes of Manu U, Chel$ki etc.

• Alex

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Is Folan any good ? cant say i have seen him play but his last goal was the first game of last season , so you could hardly say he is an out and out goal scorer

• OHurley

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I think we can get a win tomorrow. Our lads have some fight in them for once and I think we can take it to the house against the Welshmen. Prediction: Nolan to score a brace.

• Johno Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Alex from what i seen of him with ireland what he lacks in quality he makes up with effort

• Alex

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I would love smith to get a goal tomorrow he deserves it .

• MacToon

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Lol @ Defoe’s overhead kick n goal in the first minute against Man U.

I think our defence and MF should be too strong for Cardiff but have my doubts on whether we can score many or create many chances, maybe set plays might be better for us…. 2-1 0r 1-0 to us… hopefully. I hope Ranger has a motm game and proves me wrong about not scoring many.

• ganiyu

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM

nicky butt?

• ganiyu

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM

cant we sell butt?

• DevonMag

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Off topic lads but a cracking day in the fantasy league for me! Highest scoring manager in the league so far, come aarn!

• ganiyu

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM

devon mag site pls

• DevonMag

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

• DevonMag

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Palacios just got booked and subbed off though so I’ve lost points there 🙁

• MacToon

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM

1 West Brom 14
    2 Middlesbrough 13
    3 Newcastle 13
    4 Preston 12
    5 Sheff Utd 12
    6 Leicester 11

We need a win or a draw to go back to top.

• DevonMag

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM

and spot the ex-toon players in the squad too, and all defenders and a goalie. Who’d have thought they’d go on to play so well for other teams? (apart from bassong and given obviously)

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Nicky Nicky Butt Nicky Butt How $hit is Nick Butt! Kidnap the ginga ba5tard and drop him off outside KC Stadium nd let Dale Winton take care of him.

• OHurley

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Yeah, I’m so underwhelmed by Nicky Butt. Maybe he’ll be awesome tomorrow. We’ll see…….

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM

OHurley

When pigs fly… Hopefully he’ll be Notts County’s next ‘big’ signing 🙂 fingers crossed.

• DevonMag

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Mag_laad I could well see notts county going in for him actually…

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:39 PM

DevonMag

Thats why I said it 😀 I can see ’em buying the 33 plus 2002 world cup england squad bar david beckham haha

• G

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Mag_Laad, seriously mate, you need to find a new sport. Players like Nicky Butt will be the stabilizing factor on our season. I agree he is past his best, but so are the so called ‘luxary’ players in the rest of the fizzy pop league. When our backs are against the wall and results aint going our way, Butt will be the man who will use his experience and advice. You don’t spend 12 years listening to Alex Ferguson and not learn a thing or two.

• G

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Back on subject, gonna stick my neck on the line here and make a prediction. I reckon Cardiff will go ahead with Chopra scoring, then we will come out in 2nd half with all guns blazing and win by at least a clear goal. On paper it has 1-2 toon win written, I reckon we might get a 3rd and take it 1-3.

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:58 PM

G

Am ar$ed! Nicky Butt I still don’t see as good enough even for a fizzy pop team. If you watched him every home game last season you’d see what I mean, but I have a feeling you didn’t did you?

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM

People should lay off individual players and support whichever 11 is on the pitch, in my opinion.

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM

toonsy

Meh! Aye I support the team on the day no matter what! But a little bit inside of me will die when he’s named on the team sheet, theres so many players that should be ahead of him. Hope Vuckic gets some decent time on the pitch tomorrow though, he’s expected to be named on the bench like. Ranger to bag his first goal, but i think we’ll lose 2-1 or draw 1-1, can’t see us winning unless Lovepants creates some of his danish magic. But you never know really, hope we win 🙂

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Mag_Laad – You going to the match mate?

• Mag_Laad

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM

toonsy

Was gonna go like, but few of me mates cannot get time off work and normally go to away games bumping lifts off them. I’m just gonna stick to home games until we play Boro.