Steven Taylor So Pleased To Still Be At Newcastle Club

Steven Taylor has revealed today he was very uncomfortable in the last two weeks of the transfer window, and that he would  have been devastated had Newcastle transferred him to another club.

steven taylor98

Steven Taylor – devastated if he had been moved

Steven told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Two weeks before the end of the transfer window it was the Sheffield Wednesday game, it was horrible.”

“I was man-of-the-match, and went up to get the award, and the Sheffield Wednesday fans were singing all of their club songs.”

“I couldn’t come out and saying anything in the Press at the time, but I think every defender was being linked to clubs, and my name got mentioned.”

“But I’m happy. I’m playing my football here, and I’ve got a smile on my face.” “My friends and family are up here, and I’m enjoying my football.”

Steven Taylor, along with Alan Smith, Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique, Joey Barton and Steve Harper, are the new leaders on the team, and are dedicated to putting to bed the disgraces of last season, and to ensure the club can get promoted at the first attempt.

And if truth be told we do think that if a suitable bid had come in for Taylor, owner Mike Ashley would have accepted it.

Mike has no clue at all as to what’s important to the club and to the Newcastle United fans, and we may also have to give thanks to Chris Hughton, who seemed to get an agreement from Ashley – that no players would leave on the last day.

Steven has been a Newcastle United fan all his life, and there’s no other club for him, once you’ve been brought up on Tyneside.

Taylor continued::

“I was the last player to kick a ball in the Premier League for this club, and that made it worse. I’ll never forget that.”

“Villa were playing for their lives the way they played – they were on fire. I wished they had taken it lightly.” “I was devastated, but we’ve got to move on – it’s as simple as that.”

“I think we have done that now. I honestly believe we’ll get back up as champions.” “I was in the team that got us relegated – and I want to be in the team that gets us back up.”

We noticed that Steven was truly devastated after the Villa game, where it took him lots of effort not to break down on the pitch, after the game.

But we also noticed that with some (most?) of the other players, they  didn’t  seem to care too much, and couldn’t get to the dressing room quick enough, after the game.

And as Seb Bassong told us later, some of them were talking to each other about their summer vacations.

Most of those “big” players on “big” wages have now left the club, and they will not be missed – not one little bit.

They were hardly “big” players for us on the pitch last season.

• Robbanufc

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Great words from a great player!

I do wonder how the youngsters who will get the chance this season (because of our small squad) will handle the pressure.. will they rise to the challenge or fall inbetween?

• Darling27

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Putting right what once went wrong. Sounds like Quantum Leap. Come on the toon another 3 points tomorrow!!!

• Bigbadbob

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Careful Steven, even though most of us think the world of you mate, some posters on here will crucify you for being too local/regional and being a Geordie boy.
    I looking forward to the Moat takeover with Shearer in charge, the club can then rebuild and re invent itself and the Geordie knockers can go and f*ck themselves.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I looking forward to the Moat takeover with Shearer in charge, the club can then rebuild and re invent itself and the Geordie knockers can go and f*** themselves.

• Jeff D

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Off topic but,
    If you go on toonarama website and select Players/1977/78 season then scroll down to the fifth row. Check out the middle player!!! SPYOOKY or what!!! I wonder if its his dad, Either that,or he has a time machine.

• Tino 11

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM

These stories keep coming out about how the players all realised they want to be here and they wanted to help fight to get us promoted and that’s why we are playing so well. Now i agree that the senior players, Smith, Taylor, Harper etc, probably do genuinely feel like that however i still feel there may be other reasons as to why some of them are playing well.

Stardust and a few othes often say that the fans, or the “mob” as he likes to call them were part of the reason we got relegated because it unsettled the players, well maybe now we have been relegated some of the players are actually scared of the “mob” and frightened about a backlash if they don’t perform and don’t have the right attitude, so maybe some of the players are playing better because of the “mob”!

• workyticket

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

“Geordie knockers can go and f*** themselves.”

Bob, that’s physically impossible.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

meant each other

• sirjasontoon

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Hope he kicks Chopra up a height tomorrow !
    Howay the Lads 🙂

• Stuart79

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM

workyticket // Sep 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

“Geordie knockers can go and f*** themselves.”

Bob, that’s physically impossible.

That would depend on how ‘big’ they were….

• toonsy

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Steady lads, Taylor would have been “gutted, devastated” if the club moved him on. My ar5e, if the club wanted to move him on and he felt that strongly about staying, he could always honour his contract and refuse to talk to other clubs. He didnt, translate that to, “I didnt get a good enough offer from elsewhere”.

• stevep

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

@toonsy – you’re right – if the club want to sell you there is always the choice of staying if you have a contract but if you get dropped to the reserves and the club make it difficult for you it’s hardly worth hanging around
    Jeez – players get hammered for wanting to move and wanting to stay on this blog – seems they can’t get anything right

• Trent Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I would never let go of this fella, he is pure pure class… And is a loyal geordie, they day of relegation showed the loyalty of them in their faces and action after the final whistle, Steven Taylor was the only one to cry, and when the many fans were crying!

• Johno Toon

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Think he is the rock the playing side of the club should be built upon , would love him to stay forever