Curls Coloccini Thanks Newcastle Fans For Keeping Faith In Him

The unlikely Newcastle United match-winner yesterday, Argentine  Fabricio Coloccini has dedicated his first Newcastle goal to the Toon Army.

fabricio coloccini 128384

Curls Coloccini – celebrating his first ever Newcastle goal
And to think he had just combed his hair!

The Argentine arrived back on Tyneside on Friday from International duty, and looked fresh yesterday, and he battled hard for his goal, which he dispatched brilliantly and like a bullet into the net, from Ryan Taylor’s inch perfect cross.

That was the only goal of the match as Newcastle goto 16 points from their first 6 league games.

The rumors that it was actually Coloccini’s hair that had blocked the Cardiff  City defender’s view of  Taylor’s right wing cross are being played down on Tyneside, and Fabricio talked to Newcastle United TV today:

“I was very happy to score my first goal and it was an important goal for the team.” “The first cross came in and I managed to get the ball back to Ryan Taylor.”

“He then put in another good cross and I was able to get my header into the back of the net.” “I only got back into England on Friday so to play the full match, score the winner, and keep a clean sheet is perfect for me.”

“We’ve not conceded for five games now which is fantastic – we feel very confident and long may it continue.”

Former Deportivo star Coloccini has also taken time to thank Newcastle’s supporters for sticking with both himself personally and the team in general, during the summer months of more than significant turmoil on Tyneside:

“A lot of things were written in the newspapers about me over the summer saying I wanted to leave the club,”  “But that was not true at all. I am happy here and happy to help the club get back into the Premier League.”

“So because of that it was a great feeling to see my goal go in. “It was good to turn around and see the fans celebrating my goal.”  “I thank them for sticking by us and they have been excellent with me and the team.”

And there was also an awful  lot of nonsense written over the summer, about how Newcastle would sink fast and do another Leeds United.

But you have to give the betting people credit, because they consistently had Newcastle as first favorites for promotion from the CCC.

We are still hoping they turn out to be right by next May.

• lesh

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM

What with Curls’ curls, Jonas’ pony tail, Ranger’s dreads and Smudge soon to be ready slot into ZZ Top’ line up, we’re fast becoming a team of would-be hippes!

What next? MA wearing a teepee?

• ArtyH

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Go Collo!!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Fair Play Collo….Glad you have knuckled down and started to settle in 🙂

TooooooooooN

• punk skunk...

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Good Lad Colo, get stuck in man!..

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM

He has looked like a quality player this season so far, as for the hair arguments, let em keep thier hair if they play ok, remember when all the argies shaved thier heads and then played like a bunch of t*ts?

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Level found…..

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Good grief Stuart79, your glass really is half empty mate?

• Mark-o

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Slighty off topic but does anyone else think NUFC.com spout a load of rubbish? Their last few match report have been stinkers. They say that Smudger deserved both yellow cards. I thought the first one was very harsh which would have meant he would have finished the game if the ref got it right.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Mark-o, I think Naill & Biffo do a tremendous job over at .com I quite agree with most of their reports on the matches. I agree with the way they tend to pull no punches. It could be argued that Smithie’s first booking was harsh, but to be fair, the referee was so much of a joke it was amazing that we didnt have several players sent off.

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM

G // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Good grief Stuart79, your glass really is half empty mate?

I’ve had all my positivity sucked out of me by some big fat cockney wan*er!

You disagree about Colo then?

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM

@ Stuart79. I still have my doubts about Colo in the prem, but it could be argued that he is one of those players who has taken his first season to adapt to English game. Fair enough, he still drops the odd b**lock, but show me a centre half that doesnt? We will never know the truth unless he gets a run out in the top flight mate.

• RyanToon

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Colo is still woeful at this level imo but the curly haired **** made me smile yesterday 🙂 get in!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Maybe Jail will do him some good…Be careful with the soap Mike 🙂

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Bit harsh Ryan? lol

• toonsy

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Stuart79, i disagree. Colo is still an Argie international, and they dont call up useless players. I think he has just needed time to settle in, something a lot of Newcastle fans dont give to many people. Defensively in the league, we have been sound. The 1 goal conceded was from a scrappy goalmouth scramble that *could* have been dissallowed. If we had have had yesterdays ref then it probably would

• sirjasontoon

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I think Collo is improving Ryan…and the fact that he is hardly ever injured is a bonus too when you think how thin the squad is.

• RyanToon

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:12 AM

G

Even though weve conceded no goals in the last 5 league games i STILL dont feel confident with the clown at the back.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM

@toonsy, of course we could argue that based on what we have seen so far, this is a far poorer division in terms of quality than we are led to believe. Not trying to stir up an argument like, just playing Devils Advocate here.

• toonsy

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM

RyanToon – When have we ever had a defence that instills complete confidence?

Never! Not in my lifetime anyway.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Agreed SJT. With regard to RyanToon, I think we should get behind the lad. We have a habbit of knacking the confidence out of defenders in the toon, so I think we should at least give the lad a chance. If we get promoted and he is still here the truth will manifest itself, but for now, he is wearing our colours (as well as a 70’s haircut) so lets get behind him.

• Mikey25

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Before the game I thought this was going to be our hardest game but now I’m not too sure! We looked comfortable, but my concern was lack of shots! There’s a lot of nice passing and moving but no long shots to test the keeper. The quality we have we should walk the league and I think the more we gel the more players are going to take chances and were going to be seeing the 4-0+ scorelines that prove were Premierleague thru and thru.
    Ranger had a good game but he needs to fire a few shots in-yes he’s young but he scores some cracking goals for reserves created purely by his movement and speed! Think playing Loverlover alongside him will help though, take the pressure off him a bit!

Team Id like to see midweek

……………….Harps
    Simpson..Collo…Tayls…Bull
    ………………….Butt……………..
    ………Guthrie………Barton
    ……………….Nolan……………..
    ……….Loven…..Ranger……..

Think diamond formation would work well with our team! We have no real out and out crossers or wingers so why not cram em in the middle and control the game! Nolan backing up Loven and Ranger would have teams literally sheeting themselves I reckon! Whack on Vuckic for 15mins for Lovenkrands at end to cause a few issues and were well away!

Great watching us on TV all the time tho, gonna miss that next season! Also its great not being tied to “TAKEOVER WATCH” like in summer.

Bad thing is when I wa speaking to fans last week in the pub after the game people are coming round to the idea of MA staying! Were looking a lot better financially, we have some of the most promising youngsters going who will develop nicely in this league and were looking like a fantastic well knit team! I personally think we need rid before Jan to get a few players in but why rock the boat before then?

• Jeff D

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Colo is showing that he is premier class! and so are a band of the other players. Were not Top of the league for nothing are we!!
    Admittedly some players truely have found their level., but as long as we get behind them and let them know how appreciated they are. They will continue to outclass the oppositions CCC players.

I think we will go back up. I just hope someone has a plan in place to keep us there.

• toonsy

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

G // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Spot on mate

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Jeff D // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

What drugs are you on mate?

If the players were PL class we’d they’d still be playing in that division.

It’s no coincidence that their still here.

The only players that have left the club are the PL class players.

• Pons Aelius

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM

‘toonsy // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Stuart79, i disagree. Colo is still an Argie international, and they dont call up useless players.’

Christian Bassedas and 22 caps ring any bells lol!?

Colo has been decent so far this season. Lets hope he’s beginning to adapt to the English game.

• Pons Aelius

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

As well as Colo I’ve been really impressed by Danny Simpson so far this season. He bombs up and down the wing just like Ashley Cole. He had the makings of a really good player.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I’m guessing your’e not much fun at parties Stuart79? Are we meant to give up all hope just because we got relegated? It’s happened before, it will happen again. In the here and now, we are performing well, somthing which has not been happening since SBR was in charge. Would you be happier if we were at the other end of the table so you could tell everybody ‘I told you so’? Frankly, I am sceptical, but I say enjoy it whilst it lasts.

• RyanToon

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Some of you need to wake up! Just because Colo scored yesterday doesnt all of a sudden make him a hero with me even if he does with you! If we could get rid of him tommorow id be f****** delighted!

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM

G // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I am one big party animal!

I’m just being realistic.

I hope we get promoted and are unbeaten all season but I’m just pre-empting what will happen.

As long as Ashley is here we are doomd.

What happens if we get promoted and he’s still the owner?

He wouldn’t invest in the first team squad when we were an established PL club so he won’t if we go up.

We would need at least £30m. We’ll be a yo yo club under this clown.

• Jeff D

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Stuart79.
    Why dont you stop pissing on everyones fire!!
    We are top of the league!!
    We’ve kept 5 clean sheets!!
    Our GD is +8
    Most teams that we have played already are considered to be promotion candidates, and we have done agood professional job on them.
    So stop your moaning and enjoy it!!

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I doubt many of our players would make the grade with Boca Juniors, Collo did. We play a different game here, we have defenders and attackers. We even have attacking midfielders (..alas not presently at NUFC…) and defensive midfielders. In South America they have footballers that play defensively as a team or attack as a team.

Collo is a skillful player, and I was delighted we didn’t sell him in August. Once we learn how to integrate and fully utilise Enrique, Jonas and Collo we will tear up the Prem, let alone the CCC.

It’s not that Collo is a CCC player, rather all last season NUFC were playing like a CCC team and deservedly got our just desserts. This season we have woken up, or have been woken up, to the talent we should have better employed 12 months back.

This season is (hopefully) automatic promotion and team building, next season we might finally see just how potentially good a NUFC team with skilled foreign internationals, steady older heads and precocious youth talent could actually be.

Nice one Collo, my MOM (sorry Smithy, but he showed that everyone has to take responsibility for scoring this season, even you. Crunching tackles will not alone get us promotion).

• Mikey25

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I think what people don’t realise is our players are Premierleague quality! Last seasons team was not the one were using now! Yeah were playing well in a poorer league but so far we have played pretty much all of the best teams and come out looking Rosey!

Viduka, Owen, Martins up front…..oh they’re doing amazingly well now aren’t they…that was our main problem last season, Owen got played when he was fit just on his name alone (never bloody scored tho) Martins ran like a headless chicken didn’t show half the promise of season before, Viduka is good but massively unfit!

Duff got slated for being “too slow, not gifted anymore, can’t get past the man” oh wait he’s scoring in Premiership and playing in Europe!

Our main problem last season was not skill or quality of players, on paper we were Europe quality! It was a lack of conviction and leadership and atleast wanting to play for Newcastle rather than being there for money!

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Jeff D // Sep 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Stuart79.
    Why dont you stop pissing on everyones fire!!
    We are top of the league!!
    We’ve kept 5 clean sheets!!
    Our GD is +8
    So stop your moaning and enjoy it!!

I’ll never enjoy it as long as Ashley is taking my money.

You’re sleep walking into oblivion!

• bowburnmag

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I’ve long been a detractor and I was actually more impressed with Colo’s endeavour than his ability yesterday. BUT that’s not supposed to be negative because apart from a dodgy backheel our box he defended resolutely and played well.

However, it’s difficult to argue that the drop in standards isn’t helping? All of our players look more assured at this level.

There’s a good argument to say Colo is just settling into the climate and English football but again that’s as much down to our introduction of the Championship. Colo will only prove detractors wrong after a season or two of consistently good defending.

Yesterday was a good starting point.

• Jeff D

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Stuart79
    I agree with your Ashley sentiments, but Im not interested in the Fat tawt.
    I only care about The team. At the moment i cant wait for the next match to come. Last season i couldn’t wait for the season to end.
    Keep the faith!!

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Nail on the heed there Bowburnmag.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM

It would be stupid to fling abuse at the team because of the owner, if you are a toon fan right now, it’s time to revel. I am sure we will all have time to reflect and complain at some point this season, however, so far everything is looking posititve, so think positive.

• WELSH TOON

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I would just like to say that I think it is disgusting the way our own fans are talking about Joey Barton you’re all saying that your trying to look past what he has done in the past, well to be honest I really don’t care what he has done in the past especially when it’s not on the pitch, I’m not saying what he did was right I’m just saying I don’t care about that as long as he preforms on the field, which I don’t think he has done a bad job especially since he has been played out of position, and you have to remember he basically didn’t play last season so he will be abit rusty, and if this is him playing rusty I can’t what for him to reach his full potential as he hasn’t looked bad at all this season, just because he isn’t the player standing out from the rest doesn’t mean he has been playing bad.

Sometimes the fans on this blog really P**S me of as all you lot ever do is moan about our players!

In fact people have been moaning about Colo for ages now, and as soon as he scored he suddenly become a great player!

Instead of moaning about the team get behind them for once we’re top of the table for christ sake!

• batty

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM

stuart take your anti ashley goggles off and you will see what a great job he has done reducing the debt at the club if it hadnt of been for mike we would have gone bust is that what you wanted