It’s Great To Be Back Playing For Newcastle Again

The Newcastle fantastic fans sang the “Signed on a Free, From Germany” song yesterday and Peter Lovenkrands just loved it!

peter lovenkrands 34234

Peter Lovenkrands – getting match fit – quickly

When asked about the song today Peter said:

“The song’s brilliant – I was laughing when I could hear it sat on the bench,” “I can’t thank them enough for the way they’ve been supporting me.”

The good result made the occasion of his second debut for Newcastle (is that really possible?) very special for the 29-year-old Dane, who joined the club for a second time as a free agent on transfer deadline day.

Peter has class, and with being able to play either winger or striker, he should get a lot of  playing time this season.

Lovenkrands added:

“Two debuts, two wins! It was good – it’s great to be back and playing in front of the fans. It was a great three points as it’s a difficult place to go.”

“Cardiff probably felt as though they deserved something from the game, but we worked hard and never gave them any clear-cut chances.”

“It was difficult for me to get involved, as I was up front, and on the left and right, but I was fine,” “I was thrown about a bit, so I didn’t really get into the game, but with a couple more games, I’ll be fine.”

“I felt tired, but it’ll have done me the world of good. It was great to get some match fitness – that’s all that matters for me.”

We think our best up-front partnership could well be Peter and one of the tall strikers – Ameobi, Carroll or Ranger, and we expect Lovenkrands to get quite a few goals this season, poaching off the knock-ons from the big men,

In fact, we now have 4 good strikers when fit in Peter, Shola, Andy and Nile, and Ranger has shown he is certainly already good enough for the Championship, and that may mean Chris will decide not to bring in another striker, at least until January.

We expect Peter to get at least another 30 minutes on Wednesday night, and then he will be pushing for a starting spot, and when Argentinian, Jonas Gutierrez is fit again we will be able to play two experienced out and out wingers.

That’s a good option for Chris to have.

• milburn

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

will be a good aquisition with his pace and adaptability

• toonsy

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Bit rusty but thats to be expected. Will come good for us as his match fitness improves, right now its effectively his pre-season.

• AndyNUFC

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I hope he can live up to expectations. In all honesty I’d take back Viduka on a pay as you play contract.

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Peter should indeed get quite a bit of time on the pitch as Shola, Andy and Nile all have a similar leading-the-line approach. I still we need another striker in the squad who is quick & tricky and can score from the knock downs and lay-offs in the way Pop Robson / Alan Shoulder used to…

(Mmm there used to be a lad called Owen who was good at that sort of thing at one time, whatever happened to him?)

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Might be an option to put him out on that wing if he can get fit fast. If Joey Barton is a winger, I will eat my hat. I know Lover is no winger either although he has often been played there during his time at Rangers / Schalke. Just a thought.

• Stuart79

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

He was oner of our better players last season so it can be expected of him to have a really good season.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

he was one of the few last season that couldn’t be faulted for effort.

• Pons Aelius

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Lovenkrands would be a starting striker alongside Carroll for me. Jonas and Enrique on the left. I’d be looking for another right winger on loan to play in front of Simpson. Pity we missed out on Chris Burke. He looked decent.

• summerof69

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

any one know when jonas will be fit again ???

• Toon_Factor

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Pons Aelius

“Lovenkrands would be a starting striker alongside Carroll for me”

Whats wrong with Ameobi who has been scoring goals?

• Pons Aelius

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Toon Factor – fair point mate. I wouldn’t mind him instead of Carroll. But I’ll be honest with you, I’ve watched Shola from day one and I seriously doubt he can keep this consistency going. I really hope I’m wrong.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I think shola can score consistently in this league, but I doubt he can keep himself fit. He has always been dogged with injury, and I think that will prevent him from finishing with the fizzy pop golden boot. I’m not knocking shola for his injuries, as I know he has often played through the pain barrier with his long standing problems and his dodgy hips. I just wish he wasnt made of glass and scar tissue.

• Jan Stavik

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Hopefully he’s having a decent season so we can sell him on if we promote. He’s not good enough for PL.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Gotta agree with that too Jan, never been convinced with Shola in the prem. He has scored some fantastic Prem goals, as well as some really important ones in Europe, however, at that level, its consistency which counts.

• Dennis Twice

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

so when Jonas is back?

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Jan (13), neither was Tomasson according to most, it all depends on who you play for. Some clubs are too accepting of some players and too critical of others. NUFC is a past master of this double standard.

We have lost a small fortune on poor transfer dealings over the years, enough to buy and sell the club certainly, and the rejects always seem to come good elsewhere; unless they were an out and out dud like Owen.

I think it is fair to say we have never got the best out of too many players, and the current revival is as much to do with realising it isn’t the players to blame but the way they are handled. We have almost always possessed talent in abundance, what we have lacked too often is application, ambition, tactics and genuine team work.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

@ Dennis Twice. Dunno mate, it’s a hamstring injury so it might be a couple of weeks, and it might be a couple of months. Depends on whether or not it went twang! Seen nowt offical relating to the length of the injury, but the sooner the better really.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Agreed Jinky, historically the toon have been dreadfull at our handling of foreign players. Under fat Fred this was especially true. We often failed to spot if an individual could fit into a team, and instead ended up buying individuals that we would have to change our entire system to integrate into the team. I feel this was especially prevelant when we signed Tino Asprilla. Nobody doubted his ability, but often was missing for games as we would not play a system to suit his needs. Often criticized, but a world beater in the right system.

• Marty-Toon

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I reckon Hughton has some decisions to make as Nicky Butt is gonna get found out even in this division.
    Barton,Guthrie and Smudge are the best in the centre and it`s the wings we will struggle in with just Loven R.Tayls and Spidey when he is back .
    Wed nights game i would like to see
    …………….Harper……………
    Simpson….Tayls…..Collo……..Bull…….
    R.Tayls….Barton…Guthrie…..Loven….
    ………….Nolan…………………………..
    ………………………Lone Ranger……..

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM

@ Marty toon. Ryan Toon named pretty much the same line up on another thread. I agree, but suspect it will be a little too early for Lover to start. Reckon it will be Butt in the middle with Barton on the wing to start again.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Cathcart has signed for Watford, apparently Hughton is at odds with Lambias as he wouldnt sanction the signing, it all sounds so familiar.
    What next, Hughton to walk out?

• bowburnmag

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM

As there seem to be some genuine and generous bloggers on today, if you have time please have a look at

Sunday now seems far too close as I’ve potentially ruptured my knee ligaments and God know’s what else, playing football the weekend before last.

I’m still going to hobble round although my target of under 2 hours looks pretty unlikely. If any generous Mags could help me break the fundraising target, the agony will be justified!

Just give it a thought? At least spare me a thought on the day if nothing else.

Cheers
    BBM

• Phillippe Alberrrrrrrt

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

BigBadBob – beat me too it. It’s the same scenario Lad’s and Lasses Hughton is being told one thing and is being totally ignored. The rumour I heard was that Llambias told Hughton ‘not to forget what his position was’ that he was temporary and not permanent. Do you think Llambias was born a pr1ck or has he just decided to mellow into the role of resident w@nker.

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM

G(18), too true about Tino.

Indulge me here, I remember watching Mark McGhee 30 years or so back (played 28, goals 5) during his first spell at the club and in so many games his shots would squirt narrowly wide or strike the wrong part of the post and come back out. I used to turn away in sheer frustration as I could see he was good, and should have been scoring hat fulls, but it just didn’t run for him.

Of course, as soon as he left he started scoring goals for fun again at Aberdeen. The moral being that (as you say, G) we have never had a consistent club system that we would fit the RIGHT player into like Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal (or any of the great Euro clubs). Instead we buy players then cobble the tactics together to suit.

Cloughie was the master at this, he picked up Frankie Clark on a free from us because he was the right player for his team, and would still pay £1m for Peter Shilton (then a record for a keeper) for the same reason. He knew what he was looking for, and bought accordingly. We have generally simply snapped up what’s available, flotsam and jetsam too often, without any idea of why.

And unless you are picking the team, and organizing the tactics how can you know what players to buy / sell anyway? FFS cost us £40m, and sent us spiraling downwards when he bought Owen as window dressing to boost shirt sales.

When will this nightmare end….

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM

BBB (21):

We are certainly increasingly dependent on our resident Pied Piper of Gallowgate remaining calm under daily duress. Like you, I don’t know how much more he can take from Tweedledee & Tweedledum, but (unlike KK, arguably) his player requests are eminently sensible – especially considering the money that came in during the transfer window and the anorexic squad he is left to work with.

As for him actually walking? It doesn’t bear thinking about, Bob, but I’m sure there would be no shortage of offers (home and abroad) for his services.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM

@Jinky. What I wouldn’t give for an old fashioned manager, just like Cloughie. Where are they all now? Succesfull English managers with a knowledge of the game are as rare as hens teeth these days. You could argue that teams need to adapt to the oposition, but I believe consistent tactics make succesfull teams. Perahps I have an old fashioned view, but the tactic seems to have stood some teams in good stead over the years (Liverpool under Rafa / Manyoo under Fergie /Arse under Wenger etc). I know the teams change shape occasionally, however, the style of play remains consistent for all to see.

• G

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Wasn’t Cloughie’s first rule of football to make teams react to you, not for you to react to the oposition? Sounded like good advice to me like.

• dave 1961

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

JinkyGenius you got the names wrong its Tweedledum& Tweedledum-er, if Chris Hughton was to walk, i would put a wager on dumb bum meeting his maker soon after. i think i will hate lame arse as long as he lives & i hope its not long.

• toonsy

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Where have people heard about Lamearse and Hughton?

• DJG

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Loverboy needs to play 45mins against blackpool IMO.

With Jonas out for probably most of this run of games, we desperately need Peter to get to the level of fitness where he could race past a fullback and slide a chance in for somebody. (Ranger is quick enough to keep up and it will probably be the first chances the poor lad gets).

Barton is much better in the thick of it than out on the wings and Butt is too old/inconsistant to dominate the middle.

When Jonas is back I would like to see Lovenkrands and Carroll up front until Shola is back. Ranger is already class but I think he is in danger of burnout if he plays another 4/5 games.

• dave 1961

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

i have only heard on hear but after the fagot wanted to “slap” keegan i would believe anything.

• Phillippe Alberrrrrrrt

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

My mate’s dad was a well known coach at Newcastle and he’s still extremely well connected. Hughton won’t walk but he’s mighty hacked off, Ashley won’t deal with him at all and unfortunately that means he’s left dealing with the weasly llambias. Also (and it will come as no suprise to anyone) the Barry Moat bid is a complete sham and he is or was a front for Alan Rankin another local business man but he couldn’t pull the money together leaving precisely no bidders. Typical of Ashley to stumble upon a winning coach then screw him over royally – thanks for nothing FCB

• shrews mag

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM

JinkyGenius // Sep 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Agreed … but the problem is compounded 10 fold when the manager is changed a couple of times a season.

IMO whoever gets the managers job permanently should be given 5 years to sort out the team/squad/club … and that means we will have to stop calling for heads to roll if we lose a few games …!!!

• OHurley

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

shrews mag-

That’s a great idea. 5 years minimum and if only we could get someone at the helm who would let us invest just 12mil p a year on transfers, we’d have a mid table premier league squad within two/three years and could well be challenging for europe in 5. All we need is a little capital. I wish the fcb would pi55 off 🙁

• OHurley

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Correction to previous comment:

I think we should be given a budget of 15mil per year. Invest in one or two solid, proven premier league players per year and then a few top youth prospects (i.e. bairns like Vuckic, Ranger, etc). This could be accomplished pretty easily. But will fcb do it? Hell no.

• JinkyGenius

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:08 PM

shrews mag // Sep 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM (33)

As long as it isn’t 5 years of JFK! I can already see long queues developing for the best jumping off point on the Tyne Bridge

• buda boom

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Can anyone tell me why Vuckic didn’t feature yesterday

• dave 1961

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM

it was a bit suspicious at the last game moat lost his place in the directors box, & i still get the feeling Mike Ashley will appoint kinnear & ruin all the good thats been done, if ashley thinks he can survive a mass protest he needs to think again as what hes seen so far have been very low key

• Alex

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Well we all know who the last manager was to get a 5 year run and he took us into the Champions League . Its just a pity that lessons where never learned , that it takes time to build success