Keegan Picks Bad Time To Lobby For £10M From Newcastle

As we had reported last Sunday former manager Kevin Keegan’s attempt to get his 3 year contract paid up by Newcastle for £10M – which includes around £1M for costs, started yesterday.

kevin keegan fhfhg

Kevin Keegan – wants the money

Kevin was at a special Premier League tribunal hearing that was assembled to hear the facts from both sides, and then presumably decide on an amount of compensation that would be suitable for Keegan – if any.

The Newcastle United club is counter-suing Kevin for breach of contract.

The case is expected to last for several more days as witnesses, including former Executive Director of Football Dennis Wise, Managing Director Derek Llambias and head of recruitment Tony Jimenez all give evidence on Keegan’s claim for constructive dismissal.

And according to sources close to the deal, if this situation can be solved in Newcastle’s favor – with just say a small (£2M?) pay-out to Keegan or less – that will significantly assist in the selling of the club. But this looks too much like political posturing to us.

The new investigation against Ashley’s company Sports Direct for fraud, may indeed help with the sale of Newcastle since presumably owner Ashley will need to spend significant time on the fraud investigation defending hsi company’s actions.

He will not have no time to run a famous headline attracting club like Newcastle United – but did he ever?

The are two sides to this case of Keegan versus NUFC.

• For Keegan – Keegan was completely done in by Ashley, Wise and company, and unlike the brochure said – he did have have full control of who came and went at the club. Some of the players he put forward were not pursued, (one is cited as Bacelona’s Thierry Henry) and Wise brought in two pearls in Xisco and Gonzalez on the very last day of the transfer window, unbeknown to Keegan – which led to the hostile break-up.
    Indeed, there are rumors that behind the scenes Wise and company were laughing at some of the players Keegan wanted, and just didn’t pursue them in good faith.
    We think Shearer’s laying down of the law to Ashley, following relegation, was based on Alan knowing something of what happened between the two parties, and that seems to have ostracized Alan Shearer from Ashley since early June.
  • Against Keegan – Keegan got on his high horse for the umpteenth time in his management career, and in a bizarre show of  personal ego walked out on the club he said he loved – after just 3 days of the season.
    And whether he was responsible for this or not – it finally led to Newcastle demise and is now a second division club. He’s walked out on Newcastle for the second time, and has also done so with Fulham and Man City before, and even walked out on England because he lost to Germany – he walked out 10 minutes after that game with another game 4 days later – and again showed his selfishness, pettiness and over-sized ego, in a time of crisis.
    And even though Newcastle is strapped for cash with a wage bill for £45M the club still can’t afford – it didn’t stop Kevin coming back to demand his contract paid up in full and around £1M in costs. – even though he will be doing nothing for the club these next 3 years and is now an ESPN analyst. His actions make a mockery of his often repeated statement that he loves the club,

Take your pick – but it’s hard to completely justify and agree completely with one side, and as we all know in all big arguments – it takes two to tango.

It’s extremely unfortunate timing for Kevin to be claiming he should be paid £3M a year for the next 3 years, following the fact he wasn’t around last September, led to the start of Newcastle’s dramatic demise last season.

Since we have no idea how our readers feel on this one, we’ve put up a  poll on our home page,  asking if  you support Kevin Keegan’s action in suing Newcastle – please vote – today of possible.

• batty

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM

ed i dont class it as keegan vs nufc i think its keegan vs ashley as he still owns the club the fat jabber

• Jeff D

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Keegan walked, because he thought the club was being ran like a circus, by a bunch of clowns!! Thats why he is sueing the club for “fun fair” dismissal.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM

The fact is that the club will have to cough up the money if this goes Keegans way.

Messias in deed…bitter lil’$!!?%

• Davey Falcus

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I think £10 million is ridiculous. Fair enough he was screwed over by Ashley, but nobody gave him the ultimatum to quit. Ashley et al’s actions were not to push Keegan out the door, but simply because KK’s request were so unrealistic it was borderline pathetic and they needed to bring people in, unfortunately this didn’t pan out as well as they hoped. How can you expect a team that finished in the bottom half of the league to attract stars like Henry?? It just doesn’t happen unless you have the money to back it up which we did not. Now I am not an Ashley fan, the sooner he’s gone the better, and yes Keegan probably should be entitled to something for what happened, however for him to expect £10m is to make a mockery of the very club he (apparently) holds so dear.

Personally in this instance I hope the club wins, which unfortunately means Ahsley winning, because we cannot afford to lose this kind of money.

I can’t wait for this saga to end, the sooner Keegan is done with this club the better, he is proving that his love for the club is completely outweighed by his love of money, which alas makes him another mercenary, choking the life out of our club!

• batty

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM

stardust howay man

• Vest

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I support NUFC in this. I support NUFC in every way possible.

If he was suing Ashley and not the club, I would definitely support Keegan.

Club always first for me.

GOOOOOOO TOOOOOOOOOONNNN !!!!

• Soren

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Just to get one thing clear. Keegan never asked for pursuing Henry. The Henry story came from a radio interview where he was asked, if he could sign any player in the world, who would that player be?
    But the media just picked it up, and said he wanted Henry for real.

On topic. It is difficult case to say whose right, because we simply do not have enough information out in the clear, to judge whose right and whose wrong.

• batty

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

ed ashleys that tight he wont even pay the milk man

• Jan Stavik

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Bloody Keegan, stick your combo up your arse. He left the club, why should the club pay him?!!!

If I go to my boss saying that I quit, I doubt that the company will pay me money for the remaining time on my contract if I don’t go to work.

• Nick D

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I think if KK is asking for 8m and Ashley is after 2m, then they should split the 6M difference and award KK 3M. I think both parties are equally culpable to a degree so I think a figure in that region would satisfy both interests. 10M is a ridiculous figure for 3 years for doing nothing to earn it. Chances are KK would always have left at some point.

Yes KK was undermined, but he is ”old school ”and should never have been asked to work under those conditions. Wise came out of the woodwork some time after KK had been appointed.

If an experienced DOF had already been at the club, then case closed in Ashley”s favour, but now it just seems like an after thought appointing Wise and who knows where the lines of demarkation begin and end.

What I would hope is that the result expediates the sale of the club and hopefully to the US sports groups who have billions behind them, not like Moat who I just can’t see would bring anything to the table.

• Soren

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

However, walkout or dismissal, this £10m is ridicules and this whole farce is doing no one any good, other than Keegan’s wallet.

• dave 1961

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

un realistic to expects a left back & end up with xisco and a loanee that was injured all season, i think its a battle football against incompetence.

• Nick 69

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

vest- keegan vs nufc IS keegan vs ashley, ashley owns 100% of nufc, therefore it is ashley who he is taking on in reality!!

davey falcus- i very much doubt he will actually be expecting to get the full 10million, he will be claiming that amount knowing that he will more than likely recieve a much lower amount

• dave 1961

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM

i thought the American group were a children charity.

• batty

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Nick D // fair post m8

• jordi

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM

@Ed Harrison

Read it twice and your Pro Keegan comment ‘he did have have full control of who came and went at the club. ‘ is wrong and should read ‘didn’t have any control’ surely?

Personally I’m in two minds about it, Keegan was screwed over and a contract is a contract but if he felt anything for the club he’d adjust his compensation claim accordingly. Having said that is there any official figure because £10M is purely conjecture by the media isn’t it?

• Davey Falcus

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I’m not Stardust, I’m far too literate, and personally I think the lad is a c***.

I completely agree with vest. Had this been Keegan vs Ahley and his lecherous bong-eyed leprecaun then I would be completely behind Keegan 100%. But it’s not, it’s is Keegan against NUFC, the club he “loves” and therefore I can never support him in that. Sod loyalties and living in the past glory of the Keegan days, my heart is with the club and I want the best for them. And what is best for them is for Keegan to lose this case, simple as that!

• Whumpie

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM

This says it all for me (albeit in a rather poorly written article in a god-awful publication):

Davey – you need to stop believing everything you read.

And for those sticking up for the club: if we’d had a few more with an idea of what integrity means and a few less like Llambias, Wise and Ashley around – all of whom would sell their grans if is suited them – then we wouldn’t be in this mess.

I agree with Ed that there are two sides to this. But those who say KK just walked for no reason and shouldn’t sue are totally missing the point.

How can anyone say, after all that we’ve learned about Ashley, Wise and the things that have happened, that any decent man would be wrong to stick two fingers up at them and have nothing to do with their corrupt, unethical, amateur and plain stupid schemes?

I don’t think KK will get (or deserves) the £8m he’s asked for – but that’s just a starting point for negotiation and everyone knows it. My main hope is that we find out what happened – and I’d put a lot of money on it showing that KK was far less at fault than Ashley on all of this.

• Davey Falcus

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Fair point Whumpie.

My main point was that when it boils down to the club or KK, I back the club. Any amount of money we give him is detrimental to what we are trying to achieve this season. Even if he walked away with £1m that’s is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

I fully agree that Ashley will be more so to blame in all of this once it all comes out. And his actions were the main cause of our demise last season.

However I also feel that had KK swallowed his pride a little, and put the club before his ego then he could have still made a good go of things given our bright (ish) start to the season.

I also agree that I tend to read a lot of s***. But that’s all we have to go on seeing how the club are unwilling, or unable to in this case give us the real facts of the situation.

I just hope that this gets sorted soon and doesn’t further drag out causing a lot more off field problems.

And as I said previously I personally want the club to win this case, as I think it is in the best interest of the club. The only person who benefits from KK winning is the man himself!

• Bill F

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I tend to agree with all of Davey Falcus’s comments. KK should have shown more ba*ls and said sod it I’ll stick it out because I love this club. I think he is a teddy thrower and shouldn’t get a penny from the club. I also think he is doing it because he is strapped for cash and thought MA would be an easy touch. Personnally I hope he ends up having to pay, former legend or not.

• fergie

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Nick 69 – “keegan vs nufc IS keegan vs ashley, ashley owns 100% of nufc, therefore it is ashley who he is taking on in reality!!”

So we might as well burn down St James’ Park, that’ll show Ashley!

None of us know the true circumstances of what happened a year ago and until we do I think that we should all be hoping that Keegan wins absoulutely nothing. It’s not like he is hard up for cash with his current punditry job for ESPN and how people can say that it is Keegan vs Ashley is just ludicrous. It is Keegan vs NUFC. Mike Ashley will not have to pay the compensation out of his own pockets. If you work for McDonalds and your boss undermines you and you launch a lawsuit, it will be against McDonalds, not any individual. It will only serve to increase the overdraft that has steadily decreased in the past few months. A big win for Keegan will only hamper efforts to sell the club, which I think everyone will agree is the biggest priority at this moment in time.

• Stardust

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Keegan – the man who through a hissy fit di more damage to this club than any other man in history – and people still support him. Personally I support NUFC and care about the impact people have on it – Keegan is a shadow of his former shadow.

• punk skunk...

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM

simon bird is a turd(or so i’ve heard)…Please don’t quote that hateful rag monkey!..
    …NUFC everytime!.. v anybody!..

• Whumpie

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM

He’s run roughshod over everything that’s necessary to make a football club work, and he can’t be allowed to get away with it.

We have to accept that our club is worth a few million less than it would otherwise have been – because Ashley played dirty and stupid, NOT because KK is suing

There’s a big double standard in a lot of posts here. You lot need to decide on whether you have morals or not.

If you do, you cannot disagree with KK leaving. Knowing what we do about Ashley, Llambiarse and Wise, would YOU have kept turning up for work? No way – not if you’ve got any sort of spine and sense of what’s right and wrong.

So you’ve got morals: are you saying you should then let the baddies off the hook? Let them and others like them repeat the crime? No way – you sue and hopefully stop our awful fate happening to other clubs (or even this one) in the future.

Even if KK then gives most of it to charity, he needs to follow this through, and I hope he succeeds.

Those who shout and swear about Ashley but who expect others to just shut up and take his sh*t and then say, “aw, that’s alright – spend the money on players, Mike” are talking utter garbage and need to get a grip.

• Whumpie

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Also, will people please quit all the ‘quit every job he ever had’ rubbish? Yes, he walked out on the England job, but that was it. His exit from NUFC was as planned, as was his exit from Citeh.

I don’t subscribe to the ‘messiah’ rubbish (mainly a tabloid invention anyway) but I hate it when people have no bloody moral fibre or consistency. A lot of the posters on here just don’t know what integrity is, means or looks like.

Makes me sick.

What I want:

An agreement which stings Ashley, lets KK disappear back to the TV studio knowing he’s been vindicated, BUT also lays bare everything that really happened. Then you KK bashers can finally crawl back into your holes.

• UTD111

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:53 PM

See you’re still talking crap Stardust – in your many and varied entities…….

How can a manager who was only in charge for a few games at the beginning of the season (including a draw at Old Trafford btw) be responsible for “more damage to this club than any other man in history”?
    No, the blame for our demise rests firmly with Ashley, his crazy decisions and his even crazier appointments.

• Bill F

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Whumpie, I personally doubt if it is a moral issue, if it was I would wholeheartedly agree with you. None of us know the whole story but till we do I stick by my thoughts on the matter. It’s easier to give MA the role of the baddy here but it’s just possible he aint.

• Stardust

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Whumpie “I think the main point is still being missed: We all need KK to win, because the Ashleys of this world need to be stopped from doing this kind of thing to our football clubs.”

With all due respect – utter tosh.

Keegan was being paid 3m a year – Houghton no doubt a pittance in comparison – I know which man I now respect more – 1 put the club first – the other a notional “high horse” of course he loves newcastle – yeah – right.

• Davey Falcus

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I think your missing the point there Whumpie. How can you say that KK is suing to beat the “baddies” here? There is no substancial evidence to back that up.

KK as far as we are aware is suing because he didn’t get his own way, until we’re told otherwise that is all we can assume.

Now I am not going to defend Ashley, because I agree that he was in the wrong, and has persistently been in the wrong on more than one occasion in his short spell as owner. But my opinion is that KK should have sucked it in and done what is best for the club. How is he doing what is best for the club by suing us? The answer is he isn’t he is doing what KK has always done and that is looking out for himself.

I mean lets be real here, how many of us can say that we have never been undermined by those of higher authority at work at some point? Yet do we go and sue for constructive dismissal? Of course we don’t.

Now I love the man for everything he did back in the day but I don’t want to see him get a penny because it will cause havoc .

• punk skunk...

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Any agreement that ‘stings’ ashley, stings the Toon, stings the fans, we cough the cash at games etc…
    …Whumpie, i understand your respect for keegan & hatred for ashley…But, we, the club don’t need this right now, it couldn’t have come at a worse time, could it?..
    …& what’s more, it’s completely divisive!..

• Bigbadbob

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Whumpie – with you all the way on this score and also for others, you cant seperate the club from Ashley because they are one and the same.
    He is liable and should pay the man what hes owed and stop pretending that any payout will harm ” the club”, he has had plenty of incoming cash and made a fortune this year from Sports Direct.
    This man is a complete twat more akin to an Edwardian Mill owner.

• Stardust

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM

UTD111 – because morons with no brains supported 1 man not NUFC and rampaged after his walkout – action which I advocate contributed to our downfall – Yes UTD111 – people like you.

I support NUFC not Kevin The “K”oward Keegan.

• UTD111

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM

LOL – same old Stardust…..”anyone who disagrees with me is a brainless moron”….

I’ve never rampaged in my life son, and your childish insults show you for what you are…….

• Bigbadbob

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Stardust – you are one provocative tosspot and an arrogant one at that.
    The only persons responsible for our downfall are your mates Ashley and his bitch.

• Stardust

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM

2 for 1 – bit like Sports Direct – thank you very much.

Monkeys please await your fate on the tree.

• UTD111

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM

He’s definitely lost it LOL

Fixation on monkeys now…….

• Davey Falcus

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Stardust.

You confuse normal everyday fans like the vast majority who post on here with the toothless apes that get on SSN outside Shearer’s bar at half 11 in the morning. That in itself is idiotic.

The fact is I doubt any of us thought of KK as “Messiah” when he came back, but yes most of us did have a lot of time and respect for the man based on his past exploits with the club.

I reckon most on here were like me when he came back, glad to see him but never expected us to become what we were.

But wherever we are now, whether thats because of KK leaving or not (which it’s not by the way!) the fact is his actions with regards to the current case will be detrimental to the club and our ambitions for promotion at the first attempt.

Please don’t jump to your rash conclusions that everyone who posts something of a different opinion to your own is a moron, because that as you can well imagine is moronic!

• Stardust

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Davey – agreed – but differing opinions to mine which are pro one man v pro Newcastle United – I stand vehemently against – Logic tells you that you cant claim to be a supporter when you favour one mans pockets over the destiny of your club – irrespective of how hurt you were when he left or the reasons behind his leaving.

Its not the difference of opinion I argue against – its the fundamental thought process behind that opinion that I stand against.

Accepted though – I can fire cheap lines at monkeys in trees.

• MacToon

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Whumpie, well said but those set in their ways will never change and have short memories however well “informed” they believe they are.

It shall be interesting to see what the outcome will be and hope the support and guidance of the LMA will help make KK’s case strong and put an end to this episode.

• UTD111

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Nice try Stardust – but as ever your opinions are based upon flawed assumptions.
    I certainly count myself as a United fan – should do after 47 yrs supporting the club. This does not prevent me from disagreeing with the idiotic owner and his sycophantic idiot friends who made KKs position untenable and pushed him out of the club. I think it’s perfectly logical to support United whilst agreeeing that KK has a case against it.
    It’s called an “alternative view” – look it up if you don’t understand the phrase.