Now Nicky Butt Wants Chris And Colin In Full Time

Nicky Butt was signed by Sir Bobby Robson in the summer of 2004 from the Red Devils.

nicky-butt-nbnbn

Nicky Butt – first start tonight

Nicky has since served under Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer and Chris Hughton, and he has one season at Birmingham under Steve Bruce on loan.

That makes 7  managers in 5 years and 6 of them at Newcastle.

Newcastle’s club captain thinks that manager Chris and his assistant Colin Calderwood should now be given the job for the season.

“They deserve the job,”  “I wish somebody would come out and say to Chris, ‘You’re the manager’. It would put everything else to bed. We still haven’t got a manager, because he hasn’t been named. “

“Somebody should say to him it’s his job until told otherwise.”

“Everybody was upbeat when Alan Shearer came in – we thought it was a new era, but Colin and Chris have taken the mantle and probably deserve the job now.”

“We were all set up and we all thought it was going to roll into a new era under Alan – it was all worked out.”

“The training regimes for the summer were drawn up by Alan, and we were sent away with them by him and his staff, but when we came back, nothing was happening.

“Fair play to Chris and Colin, they adjusted very well at what was a late stage, and we still managed to get a good pre-season under our belts.

“The fitness is there, and the belief is there.” “We’re enjoying being top of the league, and looking forward to each game.”  “Hopefully, we can kick on and get the results needed to make sure we stay there.”

A hand injury has prevented Butt from starting a league game this season. Butt partially dislocated his thumb against Darlington in pre-season and also suffered an ankle injury in the Carling Cup win over Huddersfield Town.

Butt is now keen to play his part at Bloomfield Road”

“It was a sticky start for me,”  “It’s been stop-start, I got my fitness to where I want to be in pre-season, then broke my hand.”

“I couldn’t play or train because of the pot I had on, and it was frustrating.” “I came back in against Huddersfield and then did my ligaments, but the most important thing is that the results have been there for the team and the squad.”

“Now I’m looking forward to getting my own season going now.”

Mainly because of his huge experience, we think Nicky can do a good job for Newcastle this season, and he’ll get his first start tonight against Blackpool.

Let’s hope we can get all 3 points.

• G

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Whilst the guys are doing a great job, not sure if I would agree that they are the long term solution to our problems. Would be happier if they appointed a full term manager.

• jordi

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Not really the most glowing endorsement I’ve ever read, between the lines I heard:

“We really wanted Alan but he’s not coming so we’ll settle with Colin and Chris”.

Talk about damning with faint praise!

• Nick D

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Butt will say anything politically correct for his 60K a week.
    Wish we had got rid of him. Some people call us Butt bashers (sounds dodgy!) but it’s not without very good reason. He is a drain on limited resources and his so called experience only helped us and Brum (when he was on loan)get relegated with his inability to pass the ball to the same shirt and his fantastic ability to give dangerous free kicks away on the edge of the box.

• G

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I still see Nicky Butt as potentially being our most important player this season. If we ever needed his experience it is now. To be fair I think he is way past his sell by date, but to have him in our squad will pay dividends this season. You don’t hang round alex ferguson for over a decade and not learn a thing or two.

• jordi

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM

G

I can see him doing well coming on for 30 mins toward the end if we just need to kill time for a win but most important player? Really?

I know this league is a step below the Prem but last season he made so many individual mistakes (for whatever reason) I don’t think the drop down will have as much of a rejuvenating effect as it has for Smith.

He obviously has experience and talent but so does Sir Les, I don’t want him to come back and play for us though (well ok I do really!) 😉

• boater

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Ed.. you missed Kinnear which takes it to 7 at the toon. You must just love having so many eager copy editors waiting for your mistakes.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM

G,
    agreed, butt may be passed his sell by date(hence he wasn’t sold), but, he may not be passed his use by date!..As it were!..

• Matt

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Read what he says and it doesn’t say he wants HIM as manager he just wants SOMEONE as manager so that they can build a squad and some tactics.

Please, please not Hughton. If I see one more kick off wasted with some ball punted up the wing for someone to run on to but never make I will tear my hair out.

Also, need I remind everyone that Butt last season was way off the pace. His touch was poor, distribution ropey at best and free kicks mainly wasteful.

Start Lovenkrands instead and then we can actually have one winger.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Matt,
    please don’t remind us of that, everyone keeps remindin’ us of that!..

• G

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I knew I would get crucified for my comments, am really supprised that some people ‘sort-of’ agree with me. In terms of Butt the player, he is short of pace, his passes go all over the place, and frankly his timing of tackles is at best ‘contraversial’, but as somebody above put it, he can still come on for 30mins a game and do a job, and in terms of experience and reading a game, you can have far worse options in this division.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Aye G,
    Good synopsis!..

• G

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Dodgy hairline tho, which is worse, ginger or bald?

• Macas35

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Butt was far better than Smith last season, who everyone now seems to be praising after they wrote him off as well. He had some bad games last season but so did everyone, but he had more good games than bad. Always gave 200% and without him our midfield would have had a very soft centre. He gets slated though mainly because everyone can remember him giving away the free kick against Sunderland and conceding a penalty against Everton. There were far worse culprits last season who contributed to our demise, with Barton, Nolan and Guthrie all getting reckless red cards. I think it just becomes fashionable to have a go at certain players though.

• G

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM

With regard to Macas35 assesment of Butt, it’s not a fashion to have a go at Butt. He is past his prime, his timing and tackles were appaling last season. To be fair, he wasn’t the only one, but he was the one with league medals to his name, so for so many of his passes to go astray was a bit horrifying. I do think Butt will do us a great service in this division tho, just not for 90 mins at a time, and if the going gets tough, you need players like Butt to help you organise the build up play.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM

baldin’ ginnock?..
    🙂

• jordi

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Macas35

Smith was finding his way back from injury though, what was Butt’s excuse?

The most annoying thing is his abysmal passing, keep it simple, keep the ball and we’ll do well. Try and play the ‘hollywood’ ball and the other team get it and we’re back on the defensive again.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

macas,
    the everton pen should never have been tho’, offside before it even came to pass!..But i get ya’ drift!..

…BTW, it’s not so much a fashion, more a staple!..

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I suggest we all count every single mistake players make, add ’em up, then draw up a league of shame!..Ok, maybe not!..
    …EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES!..

…Even god’s made a few!..

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Tell ya’ what tho’, it’s amazin’ how the pundits gloss over manure’s & liverpoo’s & chavski’s & barca’s & real’s &…

• Macas35

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM

All I’m saying is give the lad a chance in this division as he is being slated before kicking a ball. Others who misfired last season have done well so why not cut him some slack. If he plays badly then fair enough, but personally I didn’t have a problem with his tackling last season, he put in some gutsy performances. His passing can let him down at times but isn’t that the same criticism being levelled at the likes of Enrique from time to time, who many people rate highly, and Ryan Taylor?

• Jamesthefirst

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Ashley is in court over unfair dismissal of Keegan, so the last thing in the world he is going to do is put another manager on a long contract.

Hughton and Calderwood have done well, but they haven’t been properly tested yet….it’s only when you’ve lost a few on the spin do you see the true qualities of a manager. Some go to pieces otherwise galvinze the squad and thrash a team in their next game.

It’s far too early to be talking about Hughton for the season. If we lose 3-4 games everyone will be calling for his head.

There will be new owners at Christmas and Shearer will be manager in January. I’m not saying that is a good thing but it is looking very likely with the fraud case hanging over Ashley (he’s not allowed to own a club during that trial)

• jordi

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:17 PM

James

Not allowed to own a club during the trial?

Why?
    What about innocent until proven guilty?

• Jamesthefirst

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Jordi – Ashley innocent….are you kidding??? 🙂

There was some Lawyer on the news at the weekend that said Ashley would have to sell the club before that trail starts. No idea why, but something to do with serious fraud cases.

He said Newcastle would be sold before Christmas at a reduced rate.

• punk skunk...

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Jordi,
    y’wastin’ y’time mate…
    Kangaroo court in a banana republic, based on heresay, that’s the way to go!..
    …Can’t we just wait ’til it all comes out in the wash?..

• waddler

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM

l agree with Nicky Butt, if the players are behind him give him the job, but only till the end of the season or better still a rolling contract, after all it was good enough for dear old Bobby, bless him.

• Shah

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Butt thinks his beckham playing the long ball every time, lol mind u ryan taylor & barton are good at at it, Butt should only come on the pitch if we need 2 defend our lead.

• Nick D

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Butt may have medals but he was never a regular at united and was surrounded by class players who could cover his bit part appearances, if he gave the ball away. He has been exposed with lesser players around him.

• Nick D

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Matt

I agree what is with that awful kick off routine, just laying it back to hoof it up the line. It reminds me of allardyce’s rugby league style, just playing the perecentages and hit and hope garbage.

• Matt

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed it. It’s dreadful football!

It is indeed like BS. Up and under anyone?