Great Bobby Robson Gesture By Newcastle And Ipswich Clubs

Really heart warming news this morning, that Newcastle United and Ipswich Town, the two clubs in England the great Bobby Robson managed to great success, will wear special commemorative shirts in memory of the clubs’ former manager during their game at Portman Road on September 26th.

bobby robson special kit

The special kit

The game is a week tomorrow at Portman Road, and of course unfortunately the great man passed away in July at the age of 76 after a long battle with cancer.

That came a short 4 days after an emotional England vs Germany game, at St. James’ Park, to mark the semi-final game of the 1990 World Cup which England lost on penalties and Germany went onto beat Argentina 1-0 in the final.

It allowed Newcastle fans one last opportunity to see Bobb.

He is more than an Idol on Tyneside, and to say he was simply a great man, doesn’t seem to do Bobby justice – but he will never be forgotten on Tyneside.

And if course both St.James’ Park and Portman Road were visited by thousands of fans from around the world wishing to pay their respects to the former England boss. He managed Ipswich to great success, and with no money, from 1969 until he took the England job in 1982.

That was probably one of the best demonstrations of club management ever seen in England.

He is said to have signed but 13 players over that time, and created Ipswich’s own players, via the Ipswich Youth system – now  that really is the way to go – and we don’t see too much of that these days.

We see teams like Chelsea and Man City come in and spend hundreds of millions of pounds to build their teams – to us there’s something terribly wrong with that even being allowed.

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle is reporting the Football League have granted special dispensation for the two sides to alter their playing kit for the game on September 26th.

For the record, here is Bobby’s management record at both Ipswich and Newcastle, his home town club, where he was manager from 1999 until 2004 and took the club from relegation candidates to two season in the Champions League.

Ipswich 1969 – 1982: P709 W316 L220 D173 – win percentage: 44.57%

Newcastle 1999 – 2004: P255 W119 L72 D64 – win percentage: 46.67%

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM

A fitting gesture to a great man. I felt like I had lost a close relative when Sir Bobby died.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Is this shirt going on sale? And if so, is ‘the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation’ going to get the proceeds? If so, I will buy it in a heartbeat. If not, there is something very wrong with our club and its owner (no news there then?).

• bozo

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking G.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM

If they can sell the Shearer testimonial shirt, I see no reason why this shirt shouldnt go on sale, with the money benefiting what I consider to be a very worthy cause.

• UTD111

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Wonder who Sir Bobby would have been supporting if he’d lived a little longer? Probably hoping for a draw I would guess!!
    I’ve had my piccie taken beside his statue at Portman Rd 🙂

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I would like to think that he would hope for a toon win, but that is just my own bias. I would have thought yours is a fair assessment of his wishes UTD111.

• Nick 69

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM

he would be supporting the toon obviously, since its his local team that he has supported all his life, he may have had a soft spot for ipswich and wanted them to do well but he supported nufc

• crawcrook3

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Quite a poignant away match for me, as taking my Ipswich-born kids to the game (they support the Toon too). I would love to buy this shirt in memory of the great man, Sir Bobby

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM

UTD111 // Sep 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I’ve had my piccie taken beside his statue at Portman Rd
    <<<<toon

• chuck

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM

A fitting gesture ? Hmmmmmm!
    Where`s the money going ?
    If an amount was being dedicated to The Sir Bobby Fund, OK !
    Into the pocket of MA, Ithink not.

• Bucks mag

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I’m going to that game – should be a momentous occasion.