Shearer Wants To Get Back Into Management – Anywhere

Alan Shearer just loved being manager at Newcastle United at the end of last season.

alan shearer -390180750

Alan Shearer – may take manager job other than at Newcastle

And although he was unable to save the club, he obviously is cut out to be a manager, because he seemed to just love it,  on the front lines again.

Most of the Newcastle players left after relegation thinking Alan would be the new permanent manager at Newcastle, but that didn’t happen, mainly because of  a certain Mike Ashley.

If he had been appointed Newcastle manager we also think that he would have been able to persuade Bassong and Beye to stay on Tyneside, but it was just not to be.

And Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood have done a super job so far this season,  so much so that most Newcastle players, including Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper recently, have called for Chris to be appointed to the permanent manager.

All three of them were big Alan Shearer supporters during the summer.

Speaking at a school awards ceremony, Shearer was asked whether he still had management ambitions.

Shearer flippantly replied:

“I’m not very good because I took Newcastle down.”

However, adopting a more serious note, Alan said that although failing to save the club he loves from relegation, Alan  would still jump at the chance to be Newcastle’s manager:

Alan continued:

“I would love to get back into it. Despite what happened in my short spell at Newcastle I would dearly love to get back into the game if everything was right.”

“People will say ‘Why?’ because I have got a fantastic job and fantastic career sitting on the sofa at Match of the Day every Saturday night.”

” It’s a great job and a very easy job and I do get paid for sitting on a sofa to talk about football.”

“If a job was to come up, not necessarily Newcastle, then I would be interested.”

That last line is almost a come and get me to to other clubs, who may be interested.

Being comfortable in life is not always the best thing, and Alan is one of those who has a burning desire to achieve – in whatever he does.

Yolu just have to look at his playing record – just look at the numbers, to become awed with how great a player this Gosforth-born player was.

We do think Alan could become a great manager, and certainly the players just loved having him in charge as he made the training  fun and Damien Duff said it was the best months in football working for Alan.

He will also be a huge draw for good players with Alan in charge.

However, job one this season is promotion – and since Chris and Colin are doing so well, we don’t want to make changes when  nothing is broken.

When new owners come in –  if they do come in  – we do expect Alan to be offered the manager’s job.

But if that happens it has to be done very carefully, and we’d like to see both of them part of the back-room team, with Alan as manager.

Both guys have shown  their commitment to the Tyneside cause, and should be rewarded accordingly.

We’ll just have to see what happens with the sale of the club, which we’re glad has gone into the background as Newcastle pick up points in the Championship.

• Stardust

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

“I would dearly love to get back into the game if everything was right”

Surely Alan you’ve learned not to make demands before you’re in through the door ? The last ones you made cost you the job you were nailed on for.

• lesh

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Do [potential] new owners really exist?

• lesh

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Stardust…… correct!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I don’t want him near Newcastle in a management capacity…he has no experience apart from a disastrous 8 game stint…get down the lower leagues and show us what you can do.

Lesh The sale was never going to happen….it’s simply an excuse to invest nothing on players every transfer window that comes along.

• chuck

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Go learn the job somewhere you cant do any damage, as you did last season.
    “I`m not very good because I took Newcastle down”
    Many a true word is said in jest !

• Thump

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I agree with Stardust?

Not sure how I feel about this.

• DevonMag

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

can’t believe the anomosity towards one of the clubs greatest ever servants and a true gent of the game. Sure he was a pap manager but atleast have the decency to be a bit more graceful when venting such thoughts lads.

• Michael12

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM

This is funny, when we were winning recently there was no mention of Shearer for manager but now that we lose a game the topic is brought up again for debate.

Neither Shearer nor the players know what they want, I seem to recall Butt, Taylor and Harper calling for Shearer to be made permanent manager and now they are the same no more than three months later calling for Hughton to made permanent manager. Likewise Shearer himself at first did not want to manage when his name was touted after Keegan walked and now that is all it seems he wants to do.

Do you see what Ashley has to go through? First they want A, then B and then they want both A and B and after this they decide they wanted C in the first place.

Shearer, get your badges before hawking wares you do not have. there cannot possibly any clubs falling over themselves to sign him. After what we saw in his 8 games, God save the team that signs him.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I am still uncertain about how I feel with regard to shearer managing our team. With regard to his 8 game stint you could argue that the damage was already done before he arrived, as most of the squad seemed to have accepted our relegation by then. Also, if the urban legend is correct, this is the man who demanded drunken duncan as his striking partner whilst Gullit was running (ruining?) the show. I think there is fair argument for caution with regard to him showing what he can do in the lower leagues, but also there is a fair argument, that simply naming him as the manager may have that talisman effect on the team? Who knows how he will fair, but one thing is for certain, it will never happen whilst ashley is holding the keys to SJP.

• Charlietoon

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I think some players came out and supported him as they thought he would be in and they wanted to show solidarity with the club….

Now they know and we know shearer aint coming back go NUFC right now so rather than bitch and moan they are throwing themselves behind the man that has done the job for the team. i have no doubt his tactics will come into question but every bosses does.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I sort of agree with that Charlietoon, however, tactically Shearer is a genius, just take this nugget from MOTD – ‘In order to win games you need to score goals’. Makes perfect sense to me, I defy anybody on the thread to tell me that he’s wrong… lol. TFI Friday!

• sahota

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Guys we have not seen how Shearer performs in Championship or other lower leagues. So you can not comment how he will do in time to come. Yes we came down to Championship while he was incharge, but then he was just trying to turn around using the resources which were already there. We are sometimes too quick to STAMP our opinion, I think we should wait and only time will tell how things pan out.

I really hope we are promoted within a season to PL otherwise it will be difficult.

• Macas35

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Michael12 – He did no worse than Hughton. And what I saw in his 8 games was a squad that quite clearly wasn’t good enough for the Premiership.

• DevonMag

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM

My worries about him (manager wise) is that I just don’t see many examples of world class or iconic players re-creating that as managers. Shearer, Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Diego Maradona etc all loved by club and country but just not too good on the sideline. Look up Arsene Wenger’s playing career, it was almost non-existant. Possible exceptions are Mark Hughes, Pep Guardiola and I’m sure there’s plenty more but for me the very best players don’t really seem to do so well. Open to corrections

• Michael12

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM

@Macas35, I do not accept that. It is during challenging times that those that have it, produce the best out of what they have and even at times produce results beyond their resources.

We had a squad of Champions and premier league winners and winners of various other cups as well as full and established internationals.

For you to suggest that is not good enough for the premier league has me wonder what is? I can agree with you if we debated about winning the title yes we were not good but we were good enough for survival. Hull do not have such a mix likewise Portsmouth, and Sunderland yet they last time I checked are in the premier league.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM

To be honest, I would rather see a man with a decent pedegree at the smaller clubs have a crack at the toon job. Somebody who served his apprenticeship at the lower league levels. Some will argue that Allardyce had all the right ingredients, but lets face it, as fans we were always going to be critical of anybody who played for the mackems? When MA decided to let him go not many shedded a tear. Myself, I was willing to give the man 2 years to see what he could do, as I believe you have to let somebody shape their own side before you can condemn them, and lets face it, he could never be as bad as Souness (Who IMO played to get sacked deliberately). Glenn Roeder was a good player and a great coach, who just cannot seem to make the step up to management, but I bear no grudges against him either. We need to be looking out for an Englishman, with experience in the lower leagues and a proven track record of improving rather than destroying. I would have Steve Coppell, but he insists he doesnt want to be a manager any more, but thats just my opinion.

• DJM TOON

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM

all the players wanted was stability in the dressing room, hence putting their weight behind shearer and now, behind CH, and i odnt blame them, they’re the sods that go out there every week and get ribbed to s**t for their lack lustre performances.

although i agree that the current team is barely premiership at all, i do believe if the club was in competent hands from top to bottom, then the current squad (with a few additions to add depth) would be in for promotion quite comfortably with a serious overhaul when said promotion came around. we still have too much dead weight and are still light on real talent, not to mention depth, and unfortunately, all these things cant be resolved unde the current regime

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

ed seeing as you want to keep hughton plz dont start calling for his head if we get back to the prem and will start losing ing game after game with them 2 in charge

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:56 PM

short fckin memorys a lot of y including ed

• hitman

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM

im not for wor al to get the job, i think he needs to go and learn his trade in the lower league’s like clarky,but this article proves 1 thing, shearer needs to be given the job hes like a ten tone weight around any manager that comes in,if hes successful great if hes not then great.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I am not against the idea that CH and CC should stay, what concerns me is whether or not they have learned from their stint in charge during the prem era. When our backs were against the wall, they both looked clueless and did not know how to respond. If they have learned, keep them. If not, I would rather we brought in a veteran of many campaigns who at least knows how to respond to setbacks.

• DJM TOON

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM

agreed, no shearer.

it aint broke, dont fix it

(i hope to god it aint broke after b’pool!)

• lacedaemonian

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Michael12 you only seem to comment on the Shearer stories.

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM

ASHLEY OOT SHEARER IN

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM

lacedaemonian // Sep 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Michael12 you only seem to comment on the Shearer stories.
    <<<<SPOT ON just ignore the little gimp

• Macas35

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Michael12 – I’m not saying we didn’t have good players, what I said was that the squad wasn’t good enough. We had a severe lack of pace, skill and creativity and that is what cost us, as well as the lack of fit strikers. Certain players might have done well in their position, but the balance of the squad was horribly wrong. And since you’re having a go at Shearer, are you going to do the same about Hughton and demand that he leaves the job as he also wasn’t good enough last season?

• Johno Toon

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I would have no problem if Sherear was named manager , I think he showed enough when he was in charge to have the making of a good manager. All this talk of him going to learn his trade in a lower divisons is silly as we are in a lower league.

But I would take any permanent manager. Think we need one to really start moving on. Could care if its Chris Houghton or Sherear I just think we need someone to have the job proper

• lesh

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Stardust…. a word of caution.

People are agreeing with you so don’t spoil things by getting up on your perch a becoming condecending.

• Stuart79

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM

20 hitman // Sep 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM

We are in the lower leagues.

A couple of years ago some people were saying Shearer should learn his trade in the Championship.

We need a reality check.

Hughton and Southgate are showing how easy it is to manage in this division.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM

The club as a whole wasn’t good enough last season. Michael just doesn’t like Shearer. Stardust doesn’t like the idea of Toon hero coming to the club because Keegan was such a disaster the second time around and there are better coaches out there.

Regardless – we do not have a manager at the club and most of our coaches are part timers.

• will die for the toon army

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM

CH revolution.

MA jst go for Poyet and we will be playing good soccer again. A team of Poyet, CH and CC can go places.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Guardiola

• Michael12

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM

@Macas35: If you can afford Shearer the excuse that the squad was not good enough, should you not then afford Kinnear that same excuse? After all they are the same team under both managers.

@lacedaemonian: I visit the site regularly and have since attempted to dive into and explore the minds of those that I often accuse of being fantasists such as yourself, batty ronaldeno et al etc… Too often we speak and as such do not hear. So, I read but did not comment. I realised why I could not explore your minds at all and that was because you have none.

It is regrettable that I only came to that conclusion after so many weeks.

By the way, I do not, not like Shearer, I do not like his management style.

• SuperShearer

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I’m a huge Shearer fan, look at the name, but not sure he’s ready for the job yet. I like the way the likes of Gurdiola and Leonardo have gone about it, start off at a big club but in a smaller role and take over when the time is right. Look at the football that Barca played last season tterly breathtaking because he learned his trade in the B team and knew how to make a team tick. Problem is that i think Al feels h’es too big for such a role.

• Macas35

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Michael12 – When did I mention Kinnear? The question I asked was that if you can say ‘God save the team that signs him’ about Shearer then surely you should similarly be calling for Hughton’s head?

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM

@Supershearer. We promoted Roeder from within, and that went well? You do have a good point though. Liverpool always promoted from within and did reasonably well out of it. They didnt mix it up with outsiders until Houlier. I supose it works with some clubs and personnel, it just didnt work out with Roeder.

• G

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Ed man, whats going on with the ads today, on the works machine here and they are taking over. Cant put firefox with adblock or opera on here as the IT guys get upset and throw their toys out of the pram. Sort it out mate.

• Johno Toon

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Disagree with you G about Roeder , i thought he done a decent job for us , thought he should be given more time , he had a horrible time with injuries but still managed a decent ufea cup run , he had to replace a certain number 9 and had owen out for a season ,

• Michael12

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Macas35: in your earlier post 13 you stated: “And what I saw in his 8 games was a squad that quite clearly wasn’t good enough for the Premiership”

You are not the only one to have said this and consensus among Shearer apologists echo this sentiment. Those same Shearer apologists however are very critical of Kinnear and seemingly miss this excuse they so graciously apply to Shearer but not to Kinnear.

My point is, if you can afford Shearer this excuse then can you extend it too to kinnear?

• batty

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM

SHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEASHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERRERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARERSHEARER